Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Who are the most arrogant drivers?

Options
  • 03-10-2005 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭

Just a bit of fun, but who are the most arrogant drivers ? I've never really noticed before (maybe I was too arrogant?), but in the last month or so, I've been using a moped to travel in and out of work and have tended to keep my eye on what other drivers are doing, for safety reasons.
    I always thought it a terrible cliche, probably because I like them, but I think in general, drivers of 5-series BMWs are the most arrogant. I don't know if they bought the cars because they were arrogant, or are they arrogant because they have the cars, but from what I've seen over the last few weeks, they certainly have the lest driving manners of all drivers.
    This is, of course, in general and I know they're not all like that. ;)

Followed closely by E-Class Merc drivers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Just
    I always thought it a terrible cliche, probably because I like them, but I think in general, drivers of 5-series BMWs are the most arrogant. I don't know if they bought the cars because they were arrogant, or are they arrogant because they have the cars, but from what I've seen over the last few weeks, they certainly have the lest driving manners of all drivers.
    This is, of course, in general and I know they're not all like that. ;)

Followed closely by E-Class Merc drivers

thats funny, i was going to start the post with 'you know, most people would say merc or MWB drivers....

my old company car was a BMW 318 touring.
    nice car.

as soon as i started driving i noticed that more people started giving me guff on the road.
    i soon found out that its not actually that Beemer drivers are more arrogant, they are actually just crapper drivers :)

you know when they over take you on a windy road and scare the crap out of you. its not coz they know they have the power under the hood. they really are just crap drivers.
    id put myself in that catagory too :)

of course, now that i own a sensible mondeo Si, i am obviously a more sensible driver :)

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭xzodia

Id have to say taxi drivers in general no matter what there driving they seem to think they owned the roads

• Registered Users Posts: 65,140 ✭✭✭✭unkel

drivers of 5-series BMWs are the most arrogant
    Indeed, all BMW drivers really. They never ever indicate either

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

In no particular order:

1. 17-21 year old male drivers: - Look at me bud, oim a bleedin rapid driver oi am, much better dan dat Shoemakker bloke...

2. 28-32 year old female drivers, particularly professionals: - I'll just tear along here ignoring most of the rules of the road, like indicating. What do you mean I am wrong? My insurance is cheaper than yours so I am obviously a better driver...

3. Middle aged women, esp in 4wd vehicles: I will absoloutly not let you out in front of me, I am an independent woman and I don't have to be courteous to anyone.

4. Middle to Old aged men: Look how fast I can go, I am still young, I swear...

**Disclaimer - Please note I am not referring to ALL people who fall into the above catagories, just what I deem to be the vast proportion of them! **

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭PaulieC

just to clarify a bit...
    I don't think this applies to all BMW drivers. 7-series drivers seem to be a bit more mature and 3-series aren't quite there yet.
    Same applies to Mercs - S-class are fine and c-class are still jsut up-and-comers
    Audi drivers seem to be OK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Kersh

I agree with prospect here.
    I find most women drivers NEVER let you out in front of them. And I honestly reckon old men 65+ are just as bad.
    As for particular makes of car - the BMW 5 series drivers are by far the worst, most arrogant drivers on the roads, and new shape 3 series drivers arent that far back.
    The most annoying drivers are Starlet gt turbo, and Lancer 1.8 gsr drivers. I know your car has a turbo, ok, but its 1.5 litres and a turbo short to be annoying me on the road, ok. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Taxi drivers are DEFINITELY the worst, most arrogant drivers out there. Just because they work 12 hour shifts it's no excuse for their blase attitude on the road, not indicating, hopping across lanes when it's not safe to do so, sitting in bus stops etc etc.

Then the middle aged (mostly) men driving BMW/Merc/Jag, they show no respect or courtesy to other drivers or pedestrians.

Boy racers generally just look stupid. I haven't had any run-ins with them in terms of being cut up or anything like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭saobh_ie

I think prospect has things pinned down pretty good, its not about the type of car people drive it’s the type of people and while its true those groups do tend to buy the same type of car there are an awful lot of good drivers out there in every type of car.

(Except five series BMW’s of course because they have considerably better lawyers on retainer.)

Personally I hate older women who live in Malahide in s40 Volvos… they’re murders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭$lash

Merc drivers in their fifties tend to be the most arrogant in my non-stereotypical opinion :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

prospect wrote:
    In no particular order:

1. 17-21 year old male drivers: - Look at me bud, oim a bleedin rapid driver oi am, much better dan dat Shoemakker bloke...

2. 28-32 year old female drivers, particularly professionals: - I'll just tear along here ignoring most of the rules of the road, like indicating. What do you mean I am wrong? My insurance is cheaper than yours so I am obviously a better driver...

3. Middle aged women, esp in 4wd vehicles: I will absoloutly not let you out in front of me, I am an independent woman and I don't have to be courteous to anyone.

**Disclaimer - Please note I am not referring to ALL people who fall into the above catagories, just what I deem to be the vast proportion of them! **

Something about a head and a nail ... too late to remember.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭AlienGav

BLACK DRIVERS!

Just a gerenal observsation, I'm in no way being racist, but they're so bad it's not even funny.

And to a lesser extent, Taxi drivers. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

I think that post will get you a ban ! if not a harsh warning , it is racist lets be honest , i think anyone that gets behind the wheel of a car is arrogant , you kinda have to be especially to drive in dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Macy

saobh_ie wrote:
    I think prospect has things pinned down pretty good, its not about the type of car people drive it’s the type of people and while its true those groups do tend to buy the same type of car there are an awful lot of good drivers out there in every type of car.
    Don't really agree. I think the type of car people drive says a lot. e.g. Micra's and Volvo's for the "I'm in safe car, I can do what I want" whilst driving annoyingly a few mph below the speed limit, between gears. Merc's and Beemers for the "I'm so much better than you, I have a small dick, but look at my car" arrogant tossers.

In a totally no sterotypical way obviously, except for volvo drivers obviously -they're all crap. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

unkel wrote:
    Absolutely unkel. One doesn't know why BMW's are fitted with indicators at all, haw haw. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭whippet

with regards to the post about 'black' drivers, I must admit that I have come across a very high proportion of bad driving from this demographic. I don't know if it is to do with the standard of driving in their 'home' countries or that they learn to drive by 'trial and error' in Ireland because of the provisional licence system. AlienGav may have sounded racist in his manner of making a point but I would have to agree with the underlying opinion.

I find that they tend to have very bad lane disipline and are very prone to tailgating.

I believe that sterotypes are formed for a reason and not made up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Bang on the money. I salute you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Who are the most arrogant drivers? Well to be honest I am.....so get the f**k out of my way because I am in a hurry!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

whippet wrote:
    with regards to the post about 'black' drivers, I must admit that I have come across a very high proportion of bad driving from this demographic. I don't know if it is to do with the standard of driving in their 'home' countries or that they learn to drive by 'trial and error' in Ireland because of the provisional licence system. QUOTE]

How do you know from looking at a black driver where their "home" country is? Do you mean you can tell just from looking at someone that they were not born and bred in Ireland and that this is not their "home" country? That is quite an amazing talent you have there, Whippet.

Personally I have found taxi drivers to be the most arrogant. Yesterday I saw a taxi driver overtake a lane of cars because the person at the front wasn't taking the turn quick enough. The taxi driver undertook to drive on the wrong side of the road for the lenght of the 5 cars and take the turn faster himself. Needless to say the person taking the turn nearly drove into the back of him as he was turning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭whippet

Enii .. I used commas around the word home to illustrate the point that we can't be sure. But I can be sure that the majority of black people who are driving on irish roads were not born in ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Taxi drivers, closely followed by muppets in 4x4's (usually the soccer mom type) that have never been driven anywhere remotely close to "off road".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Lay off the middle aged men, ya pack a' bowzies!!!
    We're the REAL victims here ...... :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

IMO BMW drivers are the most arrogant, they see other cars around them but just pull out, pull in, stop, go where ever and whenever they like, they just seem to think that driving a beemer means they have some kind of God given right. Merc drivers drive as bad, but I don't think they actually realise there are other cars on the road, so it's more ignorance than arrogance really :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

People.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

unkel wrote:
    Ken Shabby wrote:
    Absolutely unkel. One doesn't know why BMW's are fitted with indicators at all, haw haw. ;)
    Yeah - BMW drivers [especially 5 series drivers] are all ignorant wánkers and everyone else is better, blah, blah
    Still generalising is good for us all. bmw.gif
    Hmmm, maybe we should castigate black BMW drivers.
    :rolleyes:

I fairness, I find that the majority will not be couretous to a me (E39 5 series driver) on the road. If they do let me change lane, pull out or whatever, then I am couretous back to them - always. However, I frequently come across others who will be deliberatly akward - e.g. I daily find cars speeding up if I consider moving across in front of them (on dual carriageways).

kbannon wrote:
    however, I frequently come across others who will be deliberatly akward - e.g. I daily find cars speeding up if I consider moving across in front of them (on dual carriageways).

That happens to all of us, so don't feel to victimised.

I tend to drive, and have driven an awful lot of different cars, vans etc and I have to say, I have never noticed any particular 'improvement' in other drivers attitude to me in any particular car.
    The only differnece I ever experienced was when my Dad got his 406 coupe. They were fairly new, and a rather imposing sight at the time, and when I drove it up the Naas road, the people in the outside lane, (I refuse to call it the overtaking lane as very few people will know what i am referring to), used to pull in out of my way automatically, I wasn't going particularly fast or anything :confused: , but I also wasn't complaining :)

Macy, how dare you accuse all Volvo drivers of being crap. How can you possibly generalise like that ? I drive a Volvo and am easily the best driver I know

Macy, how dare you accuse all Volvo drivers of being crap. How can you possibly generalise like that ? I drive a Volvo and am easily the best driver I know

Self praise is no praise!!

Should there be a ' ;) ' or a ' :p ' or maybe even a ' :D ' at the end of that message?
    ;)

prospect wrote:
    Should there be a ' ;) ' or a ' :p ' or maybe even a ' :D ' at the end of that message?
    ;)

I think he was actually serious..... :eek:

• Advertisement

Big Nelly wrote:
    I think he was actually serious..... :eek:

hmmmm...I thought it would've been pretty obvious that I was being facetious...though I do drive a Volvo...

Apologies...I've just discovered the sarcastic smiley.. :rolleyes:

Advertisement