Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone from the Order Of Malta?

Options
  • 29-09-2005 11:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭

Anyone on here from the Order of Malta Ambulance Corps?

Been in the Ardee Unit (that's up here in County Louth) for near 2 years myself and was just wondering if there's anyone else on here apart of it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

Hello from the Naas Unit

Were you at Oxegen or Electric Picnic this year??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭R.D

Hello from the Naas Unit

Were you at Oxegen or Electric Picnic this year??

Hey there! Yeah I was at Oxegen this year, we only did Sunday though I would have loved to do Saturday too. You know anyone from our unit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭malico

Ahh oxegen. The home of the OD! I remember it well! I'm in the Order too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭R.D

malico wrote:
    Ahh oxegen. The home of the OD! I remember it well! I'm in the Order too

Awesome, what unit are you from Malico?

no R.D, i dont know anyone from Ardee.
    But i mightve seen ye around at the concert, and might recognise faces. What post where you on?
    I was at A3, Oxegen Main Stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

I'm interested in joining the order of malta and rang up the head guy in my area to ask about it. I'm waiting for a call back hopefully this month when the next first-aid course starts up.

I want to ask: whats it like? What do you guys get up to? I understand you attend events to offer first-aid, but is that it? You seem to have a lot of emergency ambulances, do you respond to emergency calls? Are you qualified for that? (reason I ask is because I've seen some of the orders ambulances with blue lights)

Also, how often do you meet up? And what level of first-aid training can you get up to? Can you become an EMT?

Answers appreciated!

I really enjoy it, its good craic, you meet lots of new people. We do event first aid and ambulance services, we also do community care, some units do inter-hospital patient transfer services. Some units form part of the 999 service in their area. Our frontline ambulances i.e those designed for transporting injured persons all have blue lights on them as we do sometimes carry patients who are very ill. Lights and Sirens are only to be used in the gravest of circumstances when life or limb is threatened.

We also provide a back-up service to the statutory services. While the Health Board Ambulance Service was diverting ambulances to the Navan Bus Crash a while ago, the Order of Malta was asked to report to Dublin Ambulance Stations to cover the 999 work in dublin.

Most units meet once a week for two hours. Most units meet on a tuesday or wednesday as far as i know.

You will start by doing a Foundation Course in First Aid, Emergency Skills, Manual Handinling, Home Nursing and Structures and Policys of the Ambulance corps. You can progress to do Instructors courses, First Responder courses (this level of training is just below EMT), AED (Defibrillation), and Ambulance Equipment Courses.

All units have or will soon have a cadet unit, which is for people aged 10-16 and is like the scouts but with a first aid perspective. Cadets are also allowed to attend some duties to gain experience, and then they move on into Seniors at the age of 16 to become members of the Ambulance corps.

The Order of Malta cannot train you to be an EMT, however a First Responder Qualification is a great start if your going to go down that road. Many members of the Order of Malta are EMT's as they work in the Ambulance Service, and volunteer in their free time to give these skills to the Order of Malta.

CONTACT DETAILS FOR ORDER OF MALTA HQ:
    Order of Malta Ambulance Corps
    St. Johns House
    32 Clyde Road
    Ballsbridge
    Dublin 4
    Ireland
    Telephone: + 353 1 668 48 91
    Fax: + 353 1 668 52 88
    Email: info@orderofmalta.ie

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

im in the Bray unit best thing i ever joined!

www.orderofmalta.ie/bray ;)

I've contacted them a few times, and they keep telling me to get onto my local branch, which I do, who then give me the go-around when I say I'd like to volunteer.

It seems to me that they just dont want any volunteers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Fyr.Fytr

I've just joined the sords unit, great craic, starting my baic first aid course next tuesday cant wait, proberably see you at events soon enough, just found this topic by accident actually, anywho talk to you later

Al

• Advertisement

Elessar,
    If you feel you've been treated unfairly, try contacting the regional director for the unit in question. To find the details of this, go to www.orderofmalta.ie, click on Ambulance Corps, and on the top bar click "Regional Contacts".

All the best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 BonJovis_Biotch

Hey guys!!!

What units are ye all from???? I am in the Order too!!!!!!!!!!!! How long have ye been in the Order and how are ye finding it? Ive been in it almost 6 years! :)

Just got back from a first aid session there. Very Good.

What do you do when you join first after the first aid course?

And who's the guy from the swords unit?

Its me alan, where you there last nights if so I was the guy in the black and white stripey rugby jersey

Elessar wrote:
    Just got back from a first aid session there. Very Good.

What do you do when you join first after the first aid course?

And who's the guy from the swords unit?

You will go on Duty with members more experienced than you on sort of probation to see how you do. You will essentially learn the ropes & assist in treating patients when you are seen to be confident enough to make correct decisions on treating patients within your qualification e.g.: Foundation Level yourself.

Ask your OIC for more info.

PS: Are you a Cadet or Senior Member?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭marie_85

How much spare time would you need to join? I work full time, and amn't home until half six/seven every evening.

Meeting are around 2hrs normally on tuesdays from around 20:00 till about 22:00

Then what ever duties you have time for you can do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 StephenC

Hi everyone,

Im stephen from Harolds Cross Unit. Im only new to order of malta. Joined in January but so far it has been great experience.

So anyone else here from the Dublin OMAC unit area? Anyone going to Oxygen this year? I sure am!! but im told its going to be crazy.

Thanks,

Stephen

Hey stephen,

I'm from the swords unit on the far side of the city. Joined the same time as yourself. Too young to go to oxygen at the moment but will be there in two years. Do lots of other great stuff though

Yeah im gonna be there on the Saturday i Believe gonna miss Goldfrapp on Sunday thow :mad:

• Advertisement

Hey,

Cool. I know I heard Oxygen is supposed to be mad! Were you at the Mini Marathon this year? or even St Patricks Parade?

StephenC wrote:
    Hey,

Cool. I know I heard Oxygen is supposed to be mad! Were you at the Mini Marathon this year? or even St Patricks Parade?

Nope wasnt at either this year

Wat about u Fyr.Fytr, where u at any of the major events this year such as the mini marathon or patricks parade? Oh and is anyone here doing the First Aid Competitions this year?

No I wasnt only just finished my foundation course. I've only done a few minor duties

Ok no prob.

We all have to start somewhere

But yea love it so far looking forward to do a few major duties. Good luck to all members at oxygen its gonna be a busy one

Fyr.Fytr wrote:
    We all have to start somewhere

But yea love it so far looking forward to do a few major duties. Good luck to all members at oxygen its gonna be a busy one

Was a Busy day alright was a wash out thow :rolleyes:

I comletely forgot about this thread, I'm also in the Order, still training - does it ever end? :D

no. you only finish your training when you die. i say that, cos there is no such thing as leaving the order.

Oxegen was mad busy, but great craic. Anyone stay in the GAA club with us, i know wexford did, and castlebar, and mullingar, and i'm not sure who else.

• Advertisement

Elessar, your in the swords unit right?

Think we need a bit more training after that mock scenario we had last week

Oh btw Balfours will have the trousers in stock next week

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement