Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funeral fun

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

Theme song from black beauty I reckon....as the coffin goes into the furnace

that would be classic...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Ann Elk

O'Malley's bar - From Murder Ballads by Nick Cave - that should provoke a worthy response!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

I had a good list ages ago, (when I was so suicidal I was planning my funeral in depth, just to make sure my family didn't f**k it up, as is they're wont to do), but I've forgotten most of em now.

Probably:

Queen - The Show Must Go On

and, er....

Oasis - The Masterplan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Nimrod's Son

Pixies - Monkey Gone To Heaven followed by Wham - Wake Me Up Before You Go Go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Ann Elk wrote:
    O'Malley's bar - From Murder Ballads by Nick Cave - that should provoke a worthy response!
    So many options from that album - maybe just play the whole thing. I'd definitely finish with Cave's version of 'Death is not the End' (featuring Shane McGowan)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

my friend had the dance tune " cisco kid - pizza man "
    R.I.P :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭angelbaby

Green Day - Time Of Your Life
    Boulivard of broken dreams would be good too!

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭ibanez

Guns N Roses - Coma
    Smashing Pumpkins - The Everlasting Gaze

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

the prodigy - smack my bitch up
    smashing pumpkins - today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

something by funeral_for_a_friend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

"The End - The Doors"
    "Desolation Row - Bob Dylan"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Franky Boy

Belle and Sebastian - My Wandering Days are Over.
    NOFX - It's My Job To Keep Punk Rock Elite.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

For me, it would have be to be a shítload of rock and metal. Don't know what I'd go with exactly but one example of the type of stuff I'd go for would be something like (666) The Number Of The Beast by Iron Maiden! Why? Just to completely piss off the priest and all the other religious freaks at the funeral! :p And, who knows, if I'm lucky enough it just might cause the priest (if it's an old priest doing the funeral, for example) to have a heart attack when the chorus kicks in and he suddenly realises what the song is all about! Now that would be a funeral to remember, wouldn't it? Having the priest drop dead at the altar!* :D

The only disadvantage would be the fact that I'd be dead and wouldn't be able to get the full enjoyment of witnessing all that happening. :( Still though, I suppose I could look up** and laugh and say "HA! Take that ya old paedophile cúnt!" :D

*Yes, as you probably guessed, I don't think much of the Catholic Church. Or of organised religion of all kinds, come to think of it.

**Because you can bet I'll be going straight "down" when I pop me clogs! ;) Hey, if I'm gonna be spending the rest of eternity in damnation and having red-hot pokers jammed up me ar$e all the time, I may as well get one last laugh out of all this, hadn't I?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

actual Simon & Garfunkel: The Boxer, Dido: Life For Rent/Here With You (And as my coffin is carried out, Mariah Carey/Boyz II Men: One Sweet Day

fun Andreas Johnson: Glorious, The Killers: Somebody Told Me and, when coffin is carried out, Pet Shop Boys: West End Girls

*Yes, as you probably guessed, I don't think much of the Catholic Church. Or of organised religion of all kinds, come to think of it.
    So why would you be getting sent off with a Catholic funeral then? There are alternatives, you know.

RainyDay wrote:
    So why would you be getting sent off with a Catholic funeral then? There are alternatives, you know.

Really? What kind of alternatives? I thought in this country there wasn't any. :confused:

To be honest, I've often thought about this and how I wouldn't like to have a traditional kind of religious funeral but how there doesn't seem to be any alternative choice in this country. Knowing my family, they'd probably go against my wishes anyway and want to have it done the "traditional" way. :rolleyes: I hate the whole funeral thing we seem to do in this country, so much so that I don't go to them anymore. The whole "wake" thing (just an excuse for people to drink, in my opinion), church funeral, priest going on about how great a person they were when they don't even bloody know them in a lot of cases! :mad: Having people you don't even know or who had no connection whatsoever with the deceased turning up to offer their "sympathies" (come on, admit it, you came just for the drink! :mad: ). I've seen it all first hand a couple of times and it's been more than enough for me, hence why I avoid them these days.

So, if you know of any alternatives to all that for my own "goodbye party", please feel free to tell me of them because I sure as hell don't want all that crap going on when I pop me clogs! :D

Funny/Apt ones:
    AC/DC - Highway to Hell
    The Clash - Straight to Hell
    Led Zep - Staiway to Heaven
    Green Day - F.O.D.
    My Chemical Romance - I'm Not Ok (I Promise)
    Wham - Wake Me Up
    Placebo - The Bitter End
    Rage Against The Machine - Sleep Now In The Fire

There are others too but that's all I can think of for now...

Really? What kind of alternatives? I thought in this country there wasn't any. :confused:

To be honest, I've often thought about this and how I wouldn't like to have a traditional kind of religious funeral but how there doesn't seem to be any alternative choice in this country. Knowing my family, they'd probably go against my wishes anyway and want to have it done the "traditional" way. :rolleyes: I hate the whole funeral thing we seem to do in this country, so much so that I don't go to them anymore. The whole "wake" thing (just an excuse for people to drink, in my opinion), church funeral, priest going on about how great a person they were when they don't even bloody know them in a lot of cases! :mad: Having people you don't even know or who had no connection whatsoever with the deceased turning up to offer their "sympathies" (come on, admit it, you came just for the drink! :mad: ). I've seen it all first hand a couple of times and it's been more than enough for me, hence why I avoid them these days.

So, if you know of any alternatives to all that for my own "goodbye party", please feel free to tell me of them because I sure as hell don't want all that crap going on when I pop me clogs! :D
    No obligation to use a church at all - Glasnevin cemetary will do cremations (though their venue is an old church, so it's the same kind of atmosphere) - you can just go straight into the ground via any funeral director if you don't want a church service. I know non-religious people who have had a get-together to mark their depature. Check out the Irish Humanists for more alternatives.

Cool RainyDay, thanks for the link. Sounds much more like the kind of thing I'd be interested in when I shuffle off this mortal coil.

Though, I didn't know you could be cremated or buried without having a religious service first, especially buried. I thought it would have been obligitary seeing as you would have been going into "consecrated ground" and all that stuff. Thought the church and religious nutters would have objected to a "non-religious" person being buried in a cemetary. Guess you learn something new everyday, eh? Okay, I'm a Catholic and I was baptised and all but, believe me, if it had been my own choice I wouldn't have been. But, just wondering, what about non-Christians and people who were never baptised being buried in a cemetary? Is that still not allowed?

Just thought of something, actually, If it's the case that I could still be buried in a cemetary without having to go through all the funeral crap, maybe I should go ahead with that then......... but have a great big satanistic headstone on the grave! :D Now that would be fun! Reeeeealllllly píss off the priests, eh! ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭butters scotch

smile- nat king cole
    angel- sarah mclachlan

oh yes they will cry and from above i will laugh! haha

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 joflo

I honestly have never thought about it but my sister has always wanted the song "moon river" if anyone is unsure about that song for even a moment....please listen and take the lyrics in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Prior Of Taize

"Im Not The Only One" by Filter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭ek942

If you want me to stay. by Sly and the Family Stone. Funkiest tune ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

Chopin's funeral march anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

Every time I listen to a song I think it's the greatest song ever written, so it'd be the last two songs I listened to,

Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Pin
    The Waterboys - Fishermans blues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

You have all humbled me with your vast and catholic taste in music... I really do like the Miles Davis suggestion. And I might just change my will to include that for my send off!

Also, on a serious note (as opposed to the comic answers I posted earlier)...

Radiohead - No Surprises

Brand New - Play Crack The Sky

Pearl Jam - Lowlight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭EvilPixieOne

Iris - goo goo dolls and maybe tears in heaven, just to really get them depressed. so many songs have related inneuendos when played at funerals...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭dundalk cailin

tears in heaven - eric clapton
    angels - robbie williams
    time of your life - greenday
    ill be missing u - puff daddy feat faith evans
    truly madly deeply - savage garden has always been a fave of mine

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Flashling

Darn! I was going to say Iris....Hmmm....maybe

Bittersweet Symphony-The Verve
    So long cruel world-Blanche
    Caberet-Liza Minelli
    Beautiful Day-u2
    Leaving on a jet plane-the jefferson starship version

the last one preformed by my friends (they're a talented group of people!)

Maybe Fame to finish up then? More than two but *shrugs*

Advertisement