Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlon FX 55(SD core) Or X2 4800??

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Mythago wrote:
    Might be worth looking at this before going with crossfire:
    Serious Crossfire Limitation

I'd like to know where he got the part number from, what revision/stage of design the board was at etc.
    It could very well have been a drop-in placeholder piece for testing/proof-of-concept.
    It is a trivial issue to slap in a multi channel TMDS design, one of the advantages of discrete components.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

BH5 takes a good while to burn in so you might have to wait for some time before you can get the very best out of it. TCCD/5 don't have the same burn in period and are know to work very well with DFI nF4 boards.
    Corsair are the only manufacturer with access to Samsung TCCD at the moment but Corsair memory is know to have some teething problems with DFI nF4 based boards.
    TCC5 is quite similar to TCCD but likes less voltage and performs almost the exact same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

WizZard wrote:
    BH5 takes a good while to burn in so you might have to wait for some time before you can get the very best out of it. TCCD/5 don't have the same burn in period and are know to work very well with DFI nF4 boards.
    Corsair are the only manufacturer with access to Samsung TCCD at the moment but Corsair memory is know to have some teething problems with DFI nF4 based boards.
    TCC5 is quite similar to TCCD but likes less voltage and performs almost the exact same.

what chips do the Mushkin Redline XP4000 use, i didnt check it?

BH5 IIRC

The supposed ATI limtitation is on The Inquirer now

WizZard wrote:

The supposed ATI limtitation is on The Inquirer now

ok read that article and if that is true i am going sli (2 x 7800's), as i play games on a 22" crt @ roughly 2000 x 1900 (or whatever the res is), so 1600x1200 @ 60hz is NO good for me. Can nvidias solution handle even those resolutions?

• Advertisement

Yes, to the best of my knowledge. There is an article here on Crossfire (French) which shows a picture of the offending chip. I'm sure ATI will havea press release out by tomorrow...

WizZard wrote:
    Yes, to the best of my knowledge. There is an article here on Crossfire (French) which shows a picture of the offending chip. I'm sure ATI will havea press release out by tomorrow...

hmmm.. this doesnt look good, mite have to skip crossfire untill its more "mature"

That was an early (pre-June) sample of the master card, but it seems ATI are still using the same chip due.
    Wait for the ATI press release before deciding anything.

dont know if i can wait, i will be getting the parts ordered, probably 30th sept, need to start getting stuff in order

I meant wait til Monday before deciding on what to buy :)
    Forgot that tomorrow's the weekend.
    ATI will probably issue a press release confirming/denying/assuaging the doubts people have about this res issue by then.

• Advertisement

ah sure i can wait until then

this the best sli mobo at the mo from dfi?

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=310790&cks=PRL

Yes. Currently the top end one.

thanks

At the mo.. its looking like that mobo, fx 55, redline 4000ram , 2 x 7800 gt's watercooled and 2x160gig sata2 hdds raid0 and xifi soundcard,

SO FAR.. well see how crossfire pans out

gline wrote:
    2x160gig sata2 hdds raid0 and xifi soundcard,
    Why 160gb's?? SATA2 isn't implemented in the nF4 on the DFI boards, although there is a chipset hack that can enable it. Would you not go for a single 300gb instead? Or 2 x 250Gb's?

And the X-Fi may have some issues with the DFI board. I know the Audigy 2 had... So just check that out before you buy.

WizZard wrote:
    Why 160gb's?? SATA2 isn't implemented in the nF4 on the DFI boards, although there is a chipset hack that can enable it. Would you not go for a single 300gb instead? Or 2 x 250Gb's?

And the X-Fi may have some issues with the DFI board. I know the Audigy 2 had... So just check that out before you buy.
    geez theses boards sound ropey.. 2x160's cuz i dont need loads of space as i have a 1TB file server. lol. I thought it supported sata2???

Nope, you need to mod the chipset to get SATA2. The drives will work, but will default down to SATA(1).
    It just seems like RAID for the sake of RAID, that's all.

The board is an enthusiast board, so it may have teething problems with certain other non-essential (and even some essential) hardware.
    That said, I've never encountered problems with my Audigy 2 ZS.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

Hey you do all know you can buy the Ultra-D draw a line on the chipset and its then an SLI board right?
    http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10736
    UltraD is also a lot cheaper
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=310787&cks=PRL

gline wrote:
    cuz i dont need loads of space as i have a 1TB file server. lol. I thought it supported sata2???
    Then go with the SLI-D. It's basically the same (doesn't have the Front-X) but only has 4 (vs 8) SATA ports.

The chipset mod to the Ultra-D would do you either, but nVidia could stop all that with a driver release...

They cant cause its hardware level! The chipset is actually a SLIwith the SLI and the SATA2 disabled this just reenables it

• Advertisement

im confused, i need an sli board with sata2

also looks like xfi works fine on sli-dr

SLI and SATAII mod.
    They cant cause its hardware level! The chipset is actually a SLIwith the SLI and the SATA2 disabled this just reenables it
    But the chipset still identifies itself as an Ultra, which means it would be trivial to lock it out in drivers - why they'd do this I don't know, but it is possible.

Hmm from my understanding from DFI Street and XS it ID's =itself as a SLI even on the BIOS screen.

Oh really? Mine was the opposite. ID's as Ultra but behaves as SLi... Let me go see.

<edit>It seems you are right, the BIOS reports SLI from a quick read of XS... Whoops :eek:</edit>

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

WizZard wrote:

There is no such thing as SATA2. Yet at least.
    The nForce4 Ultra/SLI chips have SATA300+NCQ implemented, and you don't need a chipset hack to enable it. The only hack I've heard of was the Ultra->SLI hack, which has since been blocked by nVidia - whether by driver or an instruction to the manufacturers I don't know, probably both.

{edit} I assumed there was no need to enable SATA300 on nF4 chips as I've never even looked at anything below NF4-Ultras :) {/edit}

Sata300+NCQ is SATA2??

Sata300+NCQ is SATA2??

;)

SyxPak wrote:
    There is no such thing as SATA2. Yet at least.
    The nForce4 Ultra/SLI chips have SATA300+NCQ implemented, and you don't need a chipset hack to enable it. The only hack I've heard of was the Ultra->SLI hack, which has since been blocked by nVidia - whether by driver or an instruction to the manufacturers I don't know, probably both.

{edit} I assumed there was no need to enable SATA300 on nF4 chips as I've never even looked at anything below NF4-Ultras :) {/edit}

On checking that TechPowerUp page again I see
    SATAII MOD should work for DFI LANPARTY UT nF4-D, NF4-DAGF, NF4 INFINITY

That'll teach me to post when I'm tired! ;)
    They are the really cheap versions on the DFI nF4 boards!

• Advertisement
Advertisement