Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlon FX 55(SD core) Or X2 4800??

Options
  • 15-09-2005 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭

Which is best to get the Athlon FX 55(SD core) Or X2 4800 these days?? As we all know that most programs/games dont support dual core so no major use for dual core now. I am going to be sticking it under mach 2, so i was thinking of the fx as unlocked multis is handy.

How do the 4800's preform though?? Anyone got them on vapo or mach 2 as i read their cap is 2.7-3.0ghz, not many getting it over this. Is that true??

Any thoughts on which to get? I will probably be using win xp so no real dual core support/enhancement until vista.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

I've seen X2's at 3.5Ghz on Mach2's but I don't know if they can handle that constantly. Check XS for more info though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,180 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I'd rather the X2 over the FX in general, but if it's for gaming you won't really see a difference over a 3500 or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Spear wrote:
    I'd rather the X2 over the FX in general, but if it's for gaming you won't really see a difference over a 3500 or so.

thats what i meen, most if not all the apps/games are single threaded, any point in getting a 4800?

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

I heard the X2's are harder to overclock.

Do the FX chips not suffer from the cold boot issue that plagued users of phase coolers overclocking Athlon 64's?

Neither of those chips is worth the money. At most I would go with an Athlon 64 4000 or a X2 3800.

Here's a XS post with a 4600 X2 doing ~3.2 with a Vapochill LS.

<edit>And a 3.4Ghz X2 3800+ suicide shot ;)</edit>

• Advertisement

Azza wrote:

Do the FX chips not suffer from the cold boot issue that plagued users of phase coolers overclocking Athlon 64's?

Neither of those chips is worth the money. At most I would go with an Athlon 64 4000 or a X2 3800.

no the sd core fx's are fine on - temps.

The main reason i wanted to go for the 4800 is the 2meg cache, so maybe the 4400 also might be an option, its all about getting good oc's mate ;) lol

I went with the 4400 as it's cheaper and the cap is probably the same for OC'ing. Same reason as you, becasue of the larger cache.

Haven't had a chance to bench it yet. Might do it at the weekend.
    I may get the new DFI Expert board too ;) So I can watercool my chipset!

WizZard wrote:

I may get the new DFI Expert board too ;) So I can watercool my chipset!

Whats dfi Expert??? post up ur benchies when you try ocing it.

Will do. The Expert is the name for the new DFI Lanparty UT nF4 SLI-DR, and it is designed like the newer DFI Crossfire board, but, most crucially, it has 2 PCI slots width between the two x16 PCI-E slots allowing chipset watercooling!1! :D:D

WizZard wrote:
    Will do. The Expert is the name for the new DFI Lanparty UT nF4 SLI-DR, and it is designed like the newer DFI Crossfire board, but, most crucially, it has 2 PCI slots width between the two x16 PCI-E slots allowing chipset watercooling!1! :D:D

cool, no news on the crossfire?? id really love to get that

• Advertisement

The DFI Crossfire board is also slated for release at the end of September.

WizZard wrote:
    The DFI Crossfire board is also slated for release at the end of September.
    oh if only....lol
    dobt wether anyone will see it then other than tech websites to do more benchs on it

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

The 2Meg cahce is not really going benefit you is it. 1 Meg is on the second core. So unless your multitasking or got a dual core support application it won't benefit you. The dual cores perform the same as in single core applications as a single core at the same speed if I'm not mistaken.

Azza wrote:
    The 2Meg cahce is not really going benefit you is it. 1 Meg is on the second core. So unless your multitasking or got a dual core support application it won't benefit you. The dual cores perform the same as in single core applications as a single core at the same speed if I'm not mistaken.
    yeh i was just lookingfor ppls opinions. So you'd recommend a single based core cpu?? FX??

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Mythago

I went with the 4400 as it's cheaper and the cap is probably the same for OC'ing. Same reason as you, becasue of the larger cache.

My 4400+ @2400'ish (using the provided air cooler!)& standard x800xt scores 6087 in 3dmark05 about 200 up on my old 3800+ Winchester.
    yeh i was just lookingfor ppls opinions. So you'd recommend a single based core cpu?? FX??

Unless you're planning on running BOINC or DIVX encodes at the same time as gaming you're probably better off with the FX....

Mythago wrote:
    Unless you're planning on running BOINC or DIVX encodes at the same time as gaming you're probably better off with the FX....
    Exactly. Unless you multitask a lot, you won't see a difference in single/dual core for now.

WizZard wrote:
    Exactly. Unless you multitask a lot, you won't see a difference in single/dual core for now.

i think i am gonna try get the fx 57, selling all my old components off soon, fx 51 , mobo, ram etc. so i should be able to get the fx57... getting a mate to ship it in from the US ;)

Don't get the FX-57, get an FX-55. No real difference. The FX-57 doesn't clock to highly and is easily beaten by the FX-55's (Claw/San Diego).

No point spending way more than you need to...

WizZard wrote:
    Don't get the FX-57, get an FX-55. No real difference. The FX-57 doesn't clock to highly and is easily beaten by the FX-55's (Claw/San Diego).

No point spending way more than you need to...

ive seen some 57's clocking to very good speeds. Just the heat is more of an issue, no prob for the mach 2 though

DFI Crossfire board for sale here

Why not get some new Patriot DDR700 RAM for it too ;)

• Advertisement

WizZard wrote:
    DFI Crossfire board for sale here

Why not get some new Patriot DDR700 RAM for it too ;)

hmm im really out of touch with all this ?? that ram any good, i will be buying parts on 30th of this month, so its looking like crossfire so. Can any normal x850XTPE be used with the crossfire edition of the card? I suppose the crossfire x850's wont be out for ages yeh? ;)

Well, AFAIK ATI are pre-shipping cards so that when they launch Crossfire they wil be immediately available, but I haven't seen any stockist mention anything yet.
    ATI's dates are end of Sept for first Crossfire cards (DFI intend to coincide with this) based on current chipsets, and the R520's are coming out at the end of October onwards, in the order Mid, High, Low end cards. Basically any card bought now is supposed to work with it's Crossfire counterpart when they are launched.

Patriot only launched the RAM the other day, and nobody has reviewed it yet ;)
    It can only run at 2T and with loose (think DDR2) timings, but has HUGE bandwidth.

WizZard wrote:
    Well, AFAIK ATI are pre-shipping cards so that when they launch Crossfire they wil be immediately available, but I haven't seen any stockist mention anything yet.
    ATI's dates are end of Sept for first Crossfire cards (DFI intend to coincide with this) based on current chipsets, and the R520's are coming out at the end of October onwards, in the order Mid, High, Low end cards. Basically any card bought now is supposed to work with it's Crossfire counterpart when they are launched.

Patriot only launched the RAM the other day, and nobody has reviewed it yet ;)
    It can only run at 2T and with loose (think DDR2) timings, but has HUGE bandwidth.
    i dont need HUGH bandwidth, LOL. I was going to get the ram u have as i heard it can be hard to pair ram with dfi's, so at least that is guarenteed to work, ram is always a hard decision. If crossfire isnt available wen i buy, im going for 2 x 7800 Gt's

i want ram that can do 500+ @ 2-2-2-5

whats the best? Probably bh5 would be the stuff to do that, yeh?

I have some OCZ Gold PC4000 VX sitting around waiting to be benched so I'll tell you what that can do. Supposedly 2-2-2 @ DDR500.
    The only RAM to beat it is the Mushkin Redline XP4000 (another DFI special) which does the same 2-2-2 timings @ DDR500
    Both of these take at least 3.3v to run, so you'll need a serious PSU.

I'll tell you what my results are when I bench them. My RAM is EOL now so it's really hard to find. It's more for bandwidth than tight timings though. It does have the tightest timings at DDR625 speeds than any other RAM though.

An SD (or any E) core chip will struggle to get more than 270FSB (with a good multi) though, which is why OCZ pulled my RAM. Dunno what results are like on PC though, or if they can go higher with it?

WizZard wrote:
    I have some OCZ Gold PC4000 VX sitting around waiting to be benched so I'll tell you what that can do. Supposedly 2-2-2 @ DDR500.
    The only RAM to beat it is the Mushkin Redline XP4000 (another DFI special) which does the same 2-2-2 timings @ DDR500
    Both of these take at least 3.3v to run, so you'll need a serious PSU.

I'll tell you what my results are when I bench them. My RAM is EOL now so it's really hard to find. It's more for bandwidth than tight timings though. It does have the tightest timings at DDR625 speeds than any other RAM though.

An SD (or any E) core chip will struggle to get more than 270FSB (with a good multi) though, which is why OCZ pulled my RAM. Dunno what results are like on PC though, or if they can go higher with it?

il be looking at an ocz powerstream 600w+ or something similar. Hmm let me kno how the VX goes as id be interested in that. I mite search for some bh5 on ebay or something also

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Mythago

so its looking like crossfire so. Can any normal x850XTPE be used with the crossfire edition of the card? I suppose the crossfire x850's wont be out for ages yeh?

Might be worth looking at this before going with crossfire:
    Serious Crossfire Limitation

Interesting yet scary!

AS they've pointed out it's unreleased so we'll have to see if it is a limitation. Remember SLi had horrific problems with hi-res widescreen monitors until the 77.7x drivers!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

gline wrote:
    il be looking at an ocz powerstream 600w+ or something similar. Hmm let me kno how the VX goes as id be interested in that. I mite search for some bh5 on ebay or something also

Try TCCD.

• Advertisement

SyxPak wrote:
    Try TCCD.

i checked reviews on Mushkin Redline XP4000 and i think i will get it, it seems savage

Advertisement