Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

xbox 360 or ps3?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Maybe this thread should be xbox360, ps3 or REVOLUTION!, or would that be wearing ones heart on ones sleeve? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

Well from rumours I've heard and an interview i watched on sky digi with some bloke from Tecmo (they make dead or alive 4) and they were talking about the systems. He was saying the big problem with the 360 is the dvd drive. MS have really pushed the HD TV all the way with this one but the standard DVD can only push HD out to 720. Thats no where near where it needs to be and you cannot do great streams with that. You will really need the HD based system if you want the good games with proper cinematic sequences, the core system basically he said was useless.

Interestingly when pushed on the question, which will be the best. His answer: 360. The reason and this is according to him not me by the way so dont all attack me! Many developers are walking away from the PS3 as the hardware is way to complicated and over the top. Sony reportedly are throwing millions at companies to get their code on the PS3 and many are saying its so much easier to write for the 360. Tecmo he said have no intention of going near the PS3 unless Sony pay the complete cost as its just going to take far to long and too many resources to do it.

Interesting to say the least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

Good point, wasn't aware Carmack had that train of thought. I'm hearing a lot more of that though. Companies are leaning to the 360 as its very easy to write for where as the ps3 apparently is almost impossible...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

iregk wrote:
    Good point, wasn't aware Carmack had that train of thought. I'm hearing a lot more of that though. Companies are leaning to the 360 as its very easy to write for where as the ps3 apparently is almost impossible...

That's what I was thinking. I've never bought a console at launch myself , but I thought I'd take a leap with the 360. As far as I'm concerned its a safe bet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,938 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There is no way you can choose which is better unless you are a rabid fanboy. It all depends on the games and we haven't seen much from either console except the PC ports on the xbox360. I'm more interested in the revolution since it is doing something different rather than the same games except prettier and even then the Revolution really needs good software or it could be another virtual boy.

I was very disappointed with xbox but am far more interested in the xbox360. Hironobu Sakaguchi, the creator of the Final Fantasy series, has a new company Mistwalker Studios that will be designing games exclusively for the xbox360. Square Enix haven't been the same since he left and are only interested in raping the franchises he created by turfing out half arsed games and spin-off movies that will sell and please shareholders. I think the ease of programming my gain some support from japanese developers. However remember that the PS2 was really difficult to program and although it took a long time before the developers could get their heads around the hardware it didn't lose it any support.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Theres a big difference between getting a controller for a system as an addon and one as standard.

They haven't released the specs yet, but since when did they really matter.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Specs don't matter, Brand doesn't matter, only the games matter, which is why, ultimately the only attraction of a new console is the games it can deliver, not how "cool" the lump of plastic will look under the tv. Thats why my Nes is great, so I can play Wild Gunman, why my DC is great, so I can play Tokyo Bus Guide, why my Xbox is great, so I can play Far Cry Instincts, and so on and so on.
    'Til I have my mits on the games, the machines are only potential must haves, until I can play the games and know that they can add something new to my gaming experience they are not desirable, aside from considering the possibilities they can offer, so far the PS3 and Xbox360 seem to be clones, if not on the inside but at least in their games output, RidgeRacer on the Xbox360 anyone? EA, Ubisoft, Infogrames will be making the same titles across platforms, everyone will have Burnout, everyone will have Fifa, evryone will have TonyHawks Abusing Himself 15 or whatever, lets see some differentiation between consoles reflected in the game output, lets see SCEE, Nintendo and Microsoft game studios bring some sparkle to the party, make you want all the consoles at the same time, get you blood pressure up as you get your paws on the latest screenshots of a beloved IP or even better a new concept.

Fingers Crossed!

Advertisement