Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

xbox 360 or ps3?

Options
  • 08-09-2005 10:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭

which will be better?????
    i know it will probably be the ps3 but the price is crazy!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

I think they're both so powerful that it really just comes down to the games. The graphics card in both of them is more than the equal of a decent current PC card and they can do silly resolutions at 75 fps. Power is definitely no longer an issue for consoles. I'd say it'll be 2 years before either of them starts to even see their full potential. So itll pretty much come down to which has better games...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

In which case I am without a doubt getting the 360 simply and solely for Halo 3.

Sony corporation will have no nails left to chew on Halo 3 launch day, whenever that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

unoffical word is that the 360 is not spectacular.

launch titles are poor and Kameo is the best of a poor lot.

that and the fact PGR3 is looking like it's gonna miss the launch date :(

I had hopes for it...

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

Had finally got the funds together to get my xbox chipped n everything but now i feel like i should hold out for the 360...Grrr >_<

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭silverlining

well if you're stuck for cash then buying a new console and then games at €70 a pop is probably not a good idea. modded xbox1 does more than a 360 except the graphics are better on the 360. Have a look at some of the videos of 360 games in action at ign.com and make up your own mind as to whether that's enough reason to upgrade. There are some very good games about to be released for xbox1 as well like burnout4, farcry, halflifeII and 4-player co-op (via system link) in Serious SamII

I'm waiting for the PS3 before making up my mind, there's no point in being loyal to the xbox since the architecture is completely different now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭srdb20

There spaced nearly 6 months apart, buy one and save then for the next!

so............................................................................................................................

simple answer..................

BUY BOTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Difficult answer................

BUY BOTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Bruce Fan

Probably the xbox, mainly cos its meant to be more media orientated I think?
    So there's a better chance that you be able to make more modifications to it, plus the hard drive will be detachable so there's a possibility there for transferring large amounts of data to/from a PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

360, because I've sworn never to buy anything SONY again... so there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

ps3 has no good launch titles, and most there ps2 only games are on xbox gta, final fantasy, etc.. forza is better then gran turismo... wow killzone2, the sequel to a poor fps with pixar movie graphics (cough, pre-rendered video) 360 has class launch titles, pgr3, final fantasy, perfect dark, kameo, the elder scrolls, etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,481 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

what's all this about sony not having good launch titles and graphics cards being of the same ilk?

facts: sony are nowhere near announcing their launch titles, and nVidia have yet to launch the rsx for ps3, which is planned to be to graphics cards what cell is to chips - new.

read the new issue of edge (released sept.1st, has quake4 on the cover). people were unimpressed by both sony and microsoft after the ps and xb summits in japan. except people weren't happy with sony because nothing new was shown (mostly), but more dangerous was the fact that 360 came out more like a ps2.5 (i'm paraphrasing the article) rather then next gen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

ps3 has no good launch titles,
    Cause the 360 has such an amazing launch lineup :rolleyes:

PD0 has been delayed and increasing rumours that PGR3 will be delayed and most of the other big games being PC ports its looking like a dissapointing launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

And what has Sony got? only licenses they seem to have nowa days are Gran turismo, metal gear and killzone, and lets face it, that's pretty poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Stop debating about who has what games for the launch of each console. When the Xbox came out the games were not even close to what they are now in regards the standard of the graphics and game play.

I had a look through some of my really old Xbox games and I was truely shocked when I realised that they feel and look generations from what we have now.

As far as I'm concerned a console only comes into its own after at least 2 years after its launch. If you like the vapour ware PS3 then wait for it (when ever it may be launched) and if you want a next gen replacement for your Xbox buy the 360.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

This thread had fanboi bashing written all over it. Personally, I'll sit on the fence, im an xbox man as i love my crystal machine at home but im not going to go sheep like as so many ps heads did and go directly to a 360. i'll wait see what both have to offer and decide which is best. honestly dont know which is at the moment as the tech jargon we have heard is a) meaningless, b) ramped up and made up for the media and publicity so lets just wait and see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Boco

We've got about 6-12 months wait between the xbox 360 launch and the PS3 launch. So you can buy the xbox at launch and have plenty of time to save your pennies for the PS3 launch \o/

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Liam90

im getting the ps3 no matter what the price is, but what is the price?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

They announced the price?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Ciaran500 wrote:
    They announced the price?

Nope. And I think it's expected to be more than 399, but nobody really knows. The PS3 is ages away, the Revolution even further, it's worrying for the X360 that it's right around the corner yet these consoles are still stealing a lot of its spotlight. 2nd wave of games are usually where the first real gems arrive though, which means X360 could have some really good games coming just as the PS3's being launched.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭thejovialhost

Isn't it a bit biased putting this 'question' in the xbox forum?? Anywho i'll take the Xbox360 over the PS3 anyday

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Sad thread really, same as the C64/Speccy, Nes/Master system, Snes/Megadrive, Amiga/ST, Saturn/PSX/N64, PS2/Gamecube/Xbox/DC debates, what a juvenile load of crap.
    Please move onto the next topic and stop giving this kind of thread an airing.

Honestly, how on earth can you form an opinion on a system/systems that you have not had the opportunity to play yet?
    How can you say what the hell the launch titles are going to be like when all you have seen is some footage from a couple of promo DVDs or downloads?

Get a bloody grip, wait 'til you can actually play, then give me your wisdom on what format is the best.

I'm waiting for the new 256bit Colecovision system myself, WOW! Smurfs and Looping in HD Full Screen Virtua Vision! Hooray!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

At a time when the hottest topic in the industry is the major new consoles just around the corner, when every trade show and magazine are dominated by trailers and features on the new consoles, surely it's only natural to talk about them on a games message board? Or maybe it would be better to start a new EA-bashing thread so everyone can agree and feel superior to Joe Public.

What about the 360's graphics card?
    How does it compare with todays top-end PCs and the PS3 ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭silverlining

Bruce Fan wrote:
    What about the 360's graphics card?
    How does it compare with todays top-end PCs and the PS3 ??
    They are both next year's PC graphics card technology apparently. The xbox uses ATI and the PS3 uses Nvidia. Cant compare the PS3 and xbox360 yet though but my money's on the PS3 because the 360 just seems to be a bit rushed (I could be wrong). Although I'm more interested in seeing how the nintendo revolution fares tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

To be honest I dont think the 360 is rushed. MS has a great relationship with the hardware manufactures (apart from nvidia) due to Windows and at the moment ATI are the best in the business when its comes to graphics processors.

They are both next years graphics card and sport numerous features that they will not tell anyone about yet as they are both still unreleased technology. I think the graphics in the 360 will be better to be honest but still the revolution has my attention much more than any of the others.

The others are the same old same old, play safe. The rev is a completely new idea and way of thinking. That appeals to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    Sad thread really, same as the C64/Speccy, Nes/Master system, Snes/Megadrive, Amiga/ST, Saturn/PSX/N64, PS2/Gamecube/Xbox/DC debates, what a juvenile load of crap.
    Please move onto the next topic and stop giving this kind of thread an airing.

Honestly, how on earth can you form an opinion on a system/systems that you have not had the opportunity to play yet?
    How can you say what the hell the launch titles are going to be like when all you have seen is some footage from a couple of promo DVDs or downloads?

Get a bloody grip, wait 'til you can actually play, then give me your wisdom on what format is the best.

I'm waiting for the new 256bit Colecovision system myself, WOW! Smurfs and Looping in HD Full Screen Virtua Vision! Hooray!

Best post in the thread.

I read somewhere yesterday that the revolutions controller is going to be one handed!
    And you'll have to wave it around like a sword or golf etc club depending on the game.
    That s%*#e will fly in Japan alright, but I don't think it will go down well in Europe.

Behold, the revolutionary revolutions controller

stix.jpg

A bloody tv remote! confused.gif lol
    Check it out here

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Thank you Skywalker, nice to see someone gets it.
    And regarding the new nintendo controller, I would suspend your derision until you get to try it, from what the releases say it could be very interesting, even the xbox people are impressed, expect everyone to be doing it in the next-next gen machines, what say the Xbox720 or the PSfour as they did with the analog stick and the rumble pack.

Well I'm sceptic, but very interested!

• Advertisement

Its ok to be sceptical, given the disappointments in the past, with the lack of back light on the original GB advance, the lack of support for all kinds of peripherals we have invested in that promised much but delivered little. I agree that most mainstream multiformat development teams may find the new controller too differnet to integrate into the latest Need 4 Speed/Burnout/Fifa/generic clone that they crank out, but for a moment imagine the possibilities and lets wait to see what pops up, could be the next E3 before anyone gets their mits on some working software, or is there a major japanese games show around Xmas? Maybe then, picture it with the best of Nintendos IPs, Wario Inc, Metroid, Mario Bros, there are uses for the technology that we cannot even imagine yet, so tied up are we with the 2 analog, d-pad, face button configuration that we have been using for the last 8 years or so, and lets face it Nintendo helped put that in your sitting room too!

Advertisement