Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you live - Reviews! (All Accommodation Qs go here!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

Any thoughts on Brookfield and Groody?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 RianF2

Omega28 wrote: »
    Any thoughts on Brookfield and Groody?

Groody is cheaper than Brookfield. Sure the internet is not as fast but it will do. Staff are friendly enough too if you don't cause trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭bredacq

Apologies if this isn't the correct thread to post this......
    I am looking for a house share starting this Sept to May 2017 (the place I had just fell through:mad:). Preferably a house off campus but near college.
    I am a male student going into my 2nd year of Undergrad
    PM if if you know of anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

bredacq wrote: »
    Apologies if this isn't the correct thread to post this......
    I am looking for a house share starting this Sept to May 2017 (the place I had just fell through:mad:). Preferably a house off campus but near college.
    I am a male student going into my 2nd year of Undergrad
    PM if if you know of anything.

Looks like the landlord had someone to move in during the summer.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

If anyone hears of a room going, one of my current housemates is looking for a place. He's a mature student going into 4th year, so ideally it'd be with other 4th years, but if anyone has any leads at all gimme a shout. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

Does anyone know anything about http://www.uldigs.ie/index.html?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Boruma

Omega28 wrote: »
    Does anyone know anything about http://www.uldigs.ie/index.html?

Quite near the campus 2 min walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Boruma

I think Digs would be a far cheaper option for you. There are plenty of households in the area doing this bed and breakfast and evening meal. Broadband etc

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

Boruma wrote: »
    I think Digs would be a far cheaper option for you. There are plenty of households in the area doing this bed and breakfast and evening meal. Broadband etc

I know that UL sent out letters to lots of the estates in Monaleen/Castletroy asking to take in students. I think they were advising €80/week for just board, and €100 for breakfast and dinner included.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭jsd1004

iLaura wrote: »
    I know that UL sent out letters to lots of the estates in Monaleen/Castletroy asking to take in students. I think they were advising €80/week for just board, and €100 for breakfast and dinner included.

I don't think you will find a room for 100 euro a week whatever about digs..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭siobhan08

Hey Guys

Im starting a professional maters of education in September but I'm struggling to find accommodation. I've been in touch with loads of places and they are all gone. Kinda at a lost at what to do. Don't want to go for one of those complex places as i did that before and didn't really like.

Anybody got any ideas or if you would be interested in joining together to get a house. Then please let me know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭GeneralC

iLaura wrote: »

I would be interested. Any numbers for student digs?

siobhan08 wrote: »
    Hey Guys

Im starting a professional maters of education in September but I'm struggling to find accommodation. I've been in touch with loads of places and they are all gone. Kinda at a lost at what to do. Don't want to go for one of those complex places as i did that before and didn't really like.

Anybody got any ideas or if you would be interested in joining together to get a house. Then please let me know

Did you find anywhere?

Courtyard, Brookefield or Groody student park? 29 year old post grad student, which would be the most suitable?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

GeneralC wrote: »
    Courtyard, Brookefield or Groody student park? 29 year old post grad student, which would be the most suitable?

I can't give you any comparisons for them, but I'm a 24 year old masters student and I'll be living in Courtyard! From asking on here and reading up about it, it sounded grand. Plus the rent is reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

Maybe not Groody. The houses are nice and you'd be placed with other PGs/fourth years/mature students but it can get noisy enough in the complex when people are going out compared to Brookfield.

Is there much of a difference between them? I got offered a room in Apt 60 in Groody. The area looks kinda run down from what I can see. Would that be a fair assessment?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭VanishingActs

I lived in Groody for 4th year and I'm booked in there again for September. I did look at Courtyard but ultimately went with the one I knew, plus could roll deposit over which helped a lot.

I wouldn't describe it as run down at all. We had a three bed, and it was very warm and in good condition. I didn't find the place very noisy either. I'm really not one for going out, and I can only remember 3-4 nights through the whole year where it got noisy over in my area (I was in the 50s).

I lived in Groody for 4th year and I'm booked in there again for September. I did look at Courtyard but ultimately went with the one I knew, plus could roll deposit over which helped a lot.

I wouldn't describe it as run down at all. We had a three bed, and it was very warm and in good condition. I didn't find the place very noisy either. I'm really not one for going out, and I can only remember 3-4 nights through the whole year where it got noisy over in my area (I was in the 50s).

I would be similar to yourself and wouldn't go out much so ideally looking for a quiet place to lay the head down and study.

I got offered a room in a 6 bedroom apt, would have preferred a 3 bedroom apt. Do you cycle or walk to UL? Is there amenities close by? Aldi etc

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭VanishingActs

I would be similar to yourself and wouldn't go out much so ideally looking for a quiet place to lay the head down and study.

I got offered a room in a 6 bedroom apt, would have preferred a 3 bedroom apt. Do you cycle or walk to UL? Is there amenities close by? Aldi etc

Both, actually, though ultimately I ended up walking a lot more. It's no more than a 20 minute walk so it's grand.

Aldi is only 10 minutes away, as is Spar. Daybreak is only 5 minutes away, and there's a Four Seasons, Subway, Chinese and Off-Licence across the road. There's a bus stop just up the road, too.

All this applies for Courtyard too which is just behind Groody. :)

• Advertisement

Both, actually, though ultimately I ended up walking a lot more. It's no more than a 20 minute walk so it's grand.

Aldi is only 10 minutes away, as is Spar. Daybreak is only 5 minutes away, and there's a Four Seasons, Subway, Chinese and Off-Licence across the road. There's a bus stop just up the road, too.

All this applies for Courtyard too which is just behind Groody. :)

Is there any security? Is it gated?

I got an offer for a 6 bed on CappaVilla or a 4 bed in Brookefield.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 konmusiclover

I received an offer for GEM this year in Ul :) Sadly didnt get on campus accommodation though. I dont know Limerick well enough at all, and was wondering if any other GEM students or postgrads were looking for someone to share!! Would be a lifesaver :3

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Ellen97

Can anyone help me, I'm so confused I know that a waiting list opens up on the 22nd of August which was what I was waiting for to book on campus accommodation but now I'm hearing people are already on that waiting list?? I really wanted on campus, does anybody know what's the story? And am I definitely not going to get on campus now please say there's a way :(

Ellen97 wrote: »
    Can anyone help me, I'm so confused I know that a waiting list opens up on the 22nd of August which was what I was waiting for to book on campus accommodation but now I'm hearing people are already on that waiting list?? I really wanted on campus, does anybody know what's the story? And am I definitely not going to get on campus now please say there's a way :(

I was on the waiting list since the start of the July. You may still get a room but it's hard to know. Leaving Cert students who didn't get their place in college will give up their place on that list and you MIGHT get lucky!

There's always Groody, Brookefield, if you can't get on campus residence

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

Ellen97 wrote: »

Are you an incoming first year? If you are, applications opened back in February and then they were closed. Most people who applied in the small window it was open got places reserved pending CAO offers, and the few that didn't got put on a waiting list.

On the morning on August 22nd after you receive an offer go to http://studentliving.ul.ie (supposed to open at 9am, be on it from about 8:45am). You can then make an application and be put on the waiting list and hopefully be offered something.

Your chances would be good enough if everything goes well ie you get to make the application as soon as it opens, but you can't be picky at this stage. Best of luck!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Anyone know much about Courtyard? I'm mainly interested in what're the noise levels like? I'm viewing a house later that's right outside it, so it'd be good to know if it's party central or a more subdued area...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭Chris Martin

Where are you finding these places?!
    I'm calling 2 later that are less than desirable :P

Where are you finding these places?!
    I'm calling 2 later that are less than desirable :P

Daft. But seriously, it seems if you don't call people within 30 minutes of the ad going up, you may as well not bother...

I'm getting desperate at this point though. Part of me is contemplating renting a 2 bed in the city and just trying to let out the spare room or something... :\

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Esophagus

Hey, I'm a 1st Year GEMS student, and I need a place. PM me anyone if you need someone.

Thanks.

Advertisement