Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you live - Reviews! (All Accommodation Qs go here!)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭Troxck

ScummyMan wrote: »
    I'm in Groody atm, and id highly recommend it. Warm and big houses, and the price is very reasonable for a double bed en suite. Has an on campus feel about it too so it'd be good craic for a first year with parties and the like.

I haven't heard great things about Troy, but that may have changed since CLS took it over so I can't comment.

Have friends who are staying on Troy and I think know it's very good for what you pay for. Large rooms, sitting room and reasonably sized kitchen. It's good craic but security can be strict at times.

AFAIK it's booked up for next year

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Uriminzokkiri

I'm hoping to go to UL in September but I haven't applied for campus accommodation. The application is closed. Is there any way I can still book a place?

I'm hoping to go to UL in September but I haven't applied for campus accommodation. The application is closed. Is there any way I can still book a place?

Ring the accommodation office at 8am the morning of CAO offers. My friend is in ths same situation as you and I went into the office to enquire and that's what they told me.

You can still apply for Courtyard and Groody, if you're interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Uriminzokkiri

Thanks a million! I'll do that...ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

I got offered a place in Cappavilla Village this morning (I'm a prospective postgrad). I'm just wondering before I accept it, I'm assuming that I can cancel it without incurring penalties in the next 8 weeks if I don't get a place on my course?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

_meehan_ wrote: »
    I got offered a place in Cappavilla Village this morning (I'm a prospective postgrad). I'm just wondering before I accept it, I'm assuming that I can cancel it without incurring penalties in the next 8 weeks if I don't get a place on my course?

Unless it's changed since my time, you'll lose your application fee if you cancel.

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Unless it's changed since my time, you'll lose your application fee if you cancel.

I don't mind the application fee, those kind of fees are always non-refundable anyway! Thanks for the reply! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Anonymagician

Not 100% sure on this but I think you only lose €50 or so of the fee if you cancel by July

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Think you only had to pay 50 for booking the campus accomodation this year. If you get an offer and accept your place in UL in August, you'd pay an extra 200 for your deposit. If you cancel your place, you'll lose the 50.

Supposedly it's easier for the office instead of taking 50 out of your 250 deposit and sending you the check.

Thanks everyone! I accepted the offer. I should know in May whether I get into the masters or not, so it would be an early cancellation anyway. Hopefully it won't come to that though :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭FionnK86

Lads, anyone know a quiet but cheap estate for 4th year students for next year...trying to get in early!!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

FionnK86 wrote: »
    Lads, anyone know a quiet but cheap estate for 4th year students for next year...trying to get in early!!

Not having a go here, but you're actually on the late side to be honest. Load of houses gone already.

I'd recommend Briarfield and Milford Grange or Oaklawns. Avoid Elm and College Court like the plague.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭jsd1004

Not having a go here, but you're actually on the late side to be honest. Load of houses gone already.

I'd recommend Briarfield and Milford Grange or Oaklawns. Avoid Elm and College Court like the plague.

I'd say college court is full at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭FionnK86

Yeah, I had someone looking for me but they 'forgot' to! :rolleyes: Milford or Oaklawns seem to be the go to place. :pac:

FionnK86 wrote: »
    Yeah, I had someone looking for me but they 'forgot' to! :rolleyes: Milford or Oaklawns seem to be the go to place. :pac:

I like Oaklawns, but I've only lived there in the summer, so I can't really speak for what it's like during term, or how cold those houses reportedly get in the winter.

Really lovely place to live over the summer though... But I'm sure that has nothing to do with the fact all the students are gone... :P

I like Oaklawns, but I've only lived there in the summer, so I can't really speak for what it's like during term, or how cold those houses reportedly get in the winter.

Really lovely place to live over the summer though... But I'm sure that has nothing to do with the fact all the students are gone... :P

Have a friend living in Oaklawns and says he hates it. There's mould on the wall and the heating rarely works. It was awful during the Winter he said. He could have just gotten unlucky but that's the experience he had

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭VanishingActs

I just got an MA offer (!!) so need to find somewhere to live for 12 months (from September). I'll be 24 so would really prefer to be with post-grads/mature students. Anyone know of a house, or how I go about finding one like this?

Got offered a place this week in Groody 6 bed. I've only ever been in the 3 beds and I liked them, are the 6 beds better or worse?

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭iLaura

Got offered a place this week in Groody 6 bed. I've only ever been in the 3 beds and I liked them, are the 6 beds better or worse?

All I know is that in the 6 beds you don't have to try survive living out of those absolutely tiny little fridge-freezers :P That in itself would make a 6 bed better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 aisling1898

Sorry if this has been asked already, but i missed out on the on campus for incoming first years when it opened in February. It sold out in like 2 days! I have booked Brookfield Hall but i really want to be on campus. I rang the accom office and she told me there will be more available on the day CAO offers come out as there will be a lot of cancelations etc, just wondering do i still have a good chance of getting on campus for people who have experienced this? Thanks

• Advertisement

Sorry if this has been asked already, but i missed out on the on campus for incoming first years when it opened in February. It sold out in like 2 days! I have booked Brookfield Hall but i really want to be on campus. I rang the accom office and she told me there will be more available on the day CAO offers come out as there will be a lot of cancelations etc, just wondering do i still have a good chance of getting on campus for people who have experienced this? Thanks

Same situation as me last year. You're going to have to apply online on CAO day and my experience of this was awful. Website was jammed, phone was busy for hours but I eventually got my application in and a few days later they offered me my last choice. You will more than likely get a place on-campus in August, but you probably can't be too picky.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 aisling1898

Same situation as me last year. You're going to have to apply online on CAO day and my experience of this was awful. Website was jammed, phone was busy for hours but I eventually got my application in and a few days later they offered me my last choice. You will more than likely get a place on-campus in August, but you probably can't be too picky.

Yeah i was guessing it would be a bit crazy. I just coud not believe how quick it sold out in February. Yeah planning to be on the website first thing it opens so fingers crossed. Really hoping to get Kilmurry or Plassey. Where did you get?

Hi everyone!

I got accepted to do a masters in UL, delighted! I was posting in here a while back, and have accommodation booked in Cappavilla Village.

However, I've come upon Courtyard Student Village, and there's about €2000 in the difference for the year. It's less expensive, and looks to be decent enough. Does anyone have any experience with it? I drive so I'm not phased by the fact that it's a couple km away from campus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 RianF2

Hi everyone!

I got accepted to do a masters in UL, delighted! I was posting in here a while back, and have accommodation booked in Cappavilla Village.

However, I've come upon Courtyard Student Village, and there's about €2000 in the difference for the year. It's less expensive, and looks to be decent enough. Does anyone have any experience with it? I drive so I'm not phased by the fact that it's a couple km away from campus.

I was there once or twice, not staying there just visiting people and its pretty decent. I've stayed on campus and its horrendous, especially with returning your deposit in full. I stayed in Groody twice and got my fully deposit back each time. IMO campus accommodation is really overpriced and not as fun as the likes of Courtyard and Groody

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭VanishingActs

Hi everyone!

I've known people who've stayed there and said it was grand. Their "postgrad" houses can often be mixed years though, in case that's a concern for you. I lived in Groody last year which is right in front of Courtyard and I'm going to be living there in Sept for my MA (because I could roll over my deposit, otherwise I would have considered Courtyard) and it's really not that far from campus anyway, I walked it no problem.

I mean, €2000 is a hell of a lot of money when there are decent alternatives!

Thanks for the quick replies! :)

Tbh, with regards the houses ending up mixed, I doubt it could be that terrible. On campus would be loud anyway! I'll get myself some earplugs if I have to. :p

€2000 really is a lot! My parents are paying for the masters (I only work part-time, living payslip to payslip :(), and I have two other siblings who will also be in college this September, one of whom will have to live away from home!

I'll go ahead and book it :) I read somewhere that they have a shuttle service. Is it reliable? I wouldn't mind walking to college, but I am a rain-phobe. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Recoil12

Can anyone give me any info/opinions about Parkview Hall accommodation? I'll be an incoming first year and haven't yet booked anywhere. It looks a good distance away from the campus but it's quite a bit cheaper than anywhere else. Just general things like the area it's in, the rooms, landlords, etc. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 RianF2

Recoil12 wrote: »
    Can anyone give me any info/opinions about Parkview Hall accommodation? I'll be an incoming first year and haven't yet booked anywhere. It looks a good distance away from the campus but it's quite a bit cheaper than anywhere else. Just general things like the area it's in, the rooms, landlords, etc. Thanks.

Its a long walk. 25ish minutes both ways. You're also put in with a load of LSAD students if I'm not wrong. Personally I'd avoid it for these reasons.

As for other places, they're probably booked out but try Groody Student Park. Had the best time there and the managment are nice if you're decent (reporting problems, not causing ****, etc).

If you're really stuck, PM me and I can give you some info on how to get places nearer the University

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Omega28

I received a place on a postgrad course today and now looking for digs.

I have a disability, so sharing with a lot of people may be difficult for me. Does anyone recommend accommodation for me? I would prefer on-campus but not too fussy if I can save money!

All the best,

• Advertisement

Omega28 wrote: »
    I got received a play on a postgrad course today and now looking for digs.

I have a disability, so sharing with a lot of people may be difficult for me. Does anyone recommend accommodation for me? I would prefer on-campus but not too fussy if I can save money!

All the best,

I was in a similar situation before I started in UL. If you do want on-campus, ring them and talk to them about your situation. They do reserve some rooms for people with disabilities, and even if these are all booked, you'll be at the top of the waiting list when CAO offers are out.

Advertisement