Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inner City Dublin

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

what I wanted to discuss was why Dublin insists on housing undesirables (I don't care if I sound snobbish) in the city centre, when every other city I've visited doesn't? Shouldn't we keep these problems away from the centre of our capital?

I concur, however I'd go one further and ask why we insist on housing undesirables full stop.

All city centre bolt-holes should be cleared, as should the blocks of flats and streets of council housing that seem to lurk behind every respectable area in Dublin.

Profiteering by council tenants should be stopped immediately - no more buying property at a reduced rate then flogging it for a profit. All council housing to be reclaimed and put on the open market. This rush of new housing would drive prices down and make housing available for struggling professionals who don't want to have to commute from Dundalk while those claiming benefits get to live 5 minutes from the city centre.

Workhouses should be instituted in the Midlands - if you can't pay your own way then you will be housed in the cheapest manner possible and set to work breaking rocks and unpicking ropes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Kingp35 wrote:
    Skangers are definitely not based purely around social class. I live in Dalkey which I think most of you know is a pretty well to do area. But guess what we have the odd group of skangers here too.

I don't really agree with this. While I also know of some middle class guys who were scumbags, it's not the norm.

I think it's fair to say the majority of middle class teenagers will still have quite a lot of respect for authority (i.e. bring them to the garda station and they **** themselves.)
    The same is not true for the majority of working class teenagers.

But as I said earlier, I've lived in the city centre for years and have never had any problems.

But I also grew up in Blackrock and never had any problems.

HOWEVER, I know where I could get stabbed much quicker...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 jazzbandit

Right,
    WHO is this adonis bloke? Sounds like he's never even set foot on the southside. It's a world away from the skangers in town. I havent seen a celtic jersey or sang a rebel song in a pub since I was involved in some "help the teenage skangers" programme when i was at college (basically just brought a load of 15 year olds to their local pub actually-why waste all that money on bowling?).

The point he's missing is that I'm not sayin that most poor people commit crime, they dont (although I did have to fire a cleaning lady once for drinking the evian in my fridge instead of using the tap water). Basically, though, skangers are a type of poor people usually, and they r all crims.
    Adonis probably doesnt look like adonis either, whereas I'm a totally legit jazzzzzzz bannnnndit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭fischerspooner

I know Adonis personally. He's balding, overweight, and a pseudo-snob.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

dublindude wrote:
    I don't really agree with this. While I also know of some middle class guys who were scumbags, it's not the norm.

No I definitely dont agree that its the norm im just saying that you cant base it purely on social class because there other factors too. Not all poor people are scangers. As someone already pointed out if tehy are so poor how can they afford the Nike Air max runners which cost over €100, the celtic jerseys which would cost at least €40(for new ones) and all teh gold jewellery and huge rings. Im just saying that its not all based on social class. Thats my point.

I still agree that they should be moved out and all those horrible blocks of flats bulldozed but where are you gonna put them all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Not really... being black isn't a choice, being a skanger is. (not that they're the same thing by any strech, don't even go there)

Yeah. I shouldn't have brought race into it. I was just repeating what many others have said about the hurricane victims. I should have stuck to poor as a label instead. I still think the point I made in my post was valid.
    Not all poor people are skangers... and at the same time not all skangers are poor... sure a lot of them are, but are they skangers because they're poor, or are they poor because they're skangers?

Well, all that's pretty irrelevant given that when the OP said he wanted the "skangers" cleaned out of thge city centre, he didn't mean decentralising the TCD student residences or shifting any oiks out of the docklands. He meant knocking down places like Pearse St. flats and getting the developers in. Not too many "rich skangers" living in the type of places that would be "renewed".
    I'd define skanger not as a social class but more as a personality trait... the outer signs of skang being the direct result of the skang mentality.

Well good for you, but again so what? I'll point you to the opening post:

"I lived in Edinbugh last year, in the city centre, and there were NO council houses or flats in the city centre, they moved them all to the outskirts ages ago, like they done in Glasgow too. Are there any plans to do this here?"

He's not talking about the "skang mentality" as you put it - he's fingering all people who live in the wrong places for resettlement to pretty up the city.
    It's not an issue of income either... do you think those nike air max and solid-gold sovergn rings come cheap? As if they're the last desperate resort of poor people trying to stay warm? :rolleyes:

Is that your attempt at copying Ronald Regan's old "welfare queen" quote? :rolleyes: Sure, everyone in a City Council flat in the inner city is living the life 'o reilly on the pig's back.

magpie wrote:
    I concur, however I'd go one further and ask why we insist on housing undesirables full stop.

All city centre bolt-holes should be cleared, as should the blocks of flats and streets of council housing that seem to lurk behind every respectable area in Dublin.

Profiteering by council tenants should be stopped immediately - no more buying property at a reduced rate then flogging it for a profit. All council housing to be reclaimed and put on the open market. This rush of new housing would drive prices down and make housing available for struggling professionals who don't want to have to commute from Dundalk while those claiming benefits get to live 5 minutes from the city centre.

Workhouses should be instituted in the Midlands - if you can't pay your own way then you will be housed in the cheapest manner possible and set to work breaking rocks and unpicking ropes.

Incredible post! :D I hope you lose your fúcking shirt if Ireland's economy goes to the wall in few years and are depending on the government for your daily bread, breaking rocks and unpicking ropes! :D:D:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Why do all skangers who wear celtic jerseys hate england?????

Actually why do all skangers who support man u, liverpool etc hate england???

Brendan Kilkenny for Taoiseach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

fly_agaric wrote:
    Well, all that's pretty irrelevant given that when the OP said [...] I'll point you to the opening post:
    tbh I don't care what the OP said, I'm not the OP... would you like me to post in a different coloured text so you can difrenciate more easily?
    Sure, everyone in a City Council flat in the inner city is living the life 'o reilly on the pig's back.
    Again, read my posts properly... I haven't mentioned council housing at all.

You're just reading what you want to hear like some blinkered, reactionist lefty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

faceman wrote:
    Actually why do all skangers who support man u, liverpool etc hate england???

because they're hypocritical, contradictory pr*cks who get turned on by negative nationalism

just like every other Irish person who supports an English club but hates the England team

tossers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I have a feeling Jazzbandit is a gimmick account. No-one can be that sheltered.

Anyway, so called skangers have an excuse for being assholes. They live in ****holes and are poor. What's everyone elses excuse?

There is a worse trait than skangers emerging in this country. It's the self righteous rich boys who think they are among the top tier of people in Ireland, and it makes me sick to see such blantent snobbery from people who in my eyes are bigger scumbags than the heroin addict lying in the street. The lack of intelligence astounds me, but makes me feel better about myself for having a broader world view and sense of humanity. I suppose I'm being snobbish to people who wear their idiocy on their sleeves.

tbh I don't care what the OP said

Yes - I can see that. The opening post usually defines the subsequent structure of the thread - or it should anyway, but you started off on a tack about a "skanger mentality" or "skanger personality trait", which is a different thing to fingering everyone who lives in a certain place as undesirables who must be resettled.
    Again, read my posts properly... I haven't mentioned council housing at all.

:confused: I never said you did. The opening post did that.
    You're just reading what you want to hear like some blinkered, reactionist lefty.

I have reread and think I see what you meant. :o
    However, I though "reactionary" is a silly insult those on the far left like to throw at anyone who disagrees with them. How can I be a "reaction(ist) lefty"? :D

Giblet wrote:
    Anyway, so called skangers have an excuse for being assholes. They live in ****holes and are poor.
    Now who's being sheltered?
    Giblet wrote:
    What's everyone elses excuse?
    I'll come up with one after I've harrased a few strangers for smokes and nicked a few cars... right now I don't feel I need one.

Well you said yourself most skangers probably are poor, so how am I being sheltered, or do you want me to hand pick the ones who are well off and are being skangers or "assholes* as I put it. Of course you said you yourself don't need an excuse to be an asshole so maybe you are one of these "more well off" skangers. By the way, which ones rob cars and which ones bum smokes? Or do they all look the same from that high horse you're sitting on.

Anyway my point was, assholes exist everywhere, some people just choose to pick on the ones they think are in the majority. You just have to read a few posts from some of the more "affluent" people here on boards to see there are assholes everywhere. Assholes who divide everything up into "skangers from the northside, culchies from the outside, and us at the top". Some people just can't comprehend the concept of "other people" hence this fear of anything that doesn't make sense to them. Now that's being sheltered.

Well what I was getting at was that living in a shíthole isn't an excuse for being a menace to the general public. The decent people who live in those areas don't feel the need to hang around intimidating people because they don't fancy the area they live in.
    I don't like the whole "well that's thier excuse" idea... there's no excuse for some of the shít that they do.
    And if I associate typical skanger clothing with the people who I've been mugged or hassled by, and it makes me a little on edge, then what of it? ... that's a reputation earned as far as I'm concerned.
    I know it's small minded, but I honestly don't care... logic tells me that people are people and everyone is an individual... but survival instincts have formed a different oppinion... once bitten, twice shy.
    I'd love to be more like you and not be repulsed by the sight of them, I really would... it'd save me a lot of bile.
    Giblet wrote:
    By the way, which ones rob cars and which ones bum smokes?
    The ones with the baseball caps angled at 70 degrees bum smokes... and the ones with fuzzy taches rob the cars... obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

magpie wrote:

I sincerely hope you're not serious.
    Giblet wrote:
    There is a worse trait than skangers emerging in this country. It's the self righteous rich boys who think they are among the top tier of people in Ireland, and it makes me sick to see such blantent snobbery from people who in my eyes are bigger scumbags than the heroin addict lying in the stre

Thanks for making that point better than I could.

Right,
    Tis is all gettin a bit mental. I'm not sure why there's even a discussion goin on here. Skangers should be, like, deported or stoned or whatever we do to criminals. I think we all agree on that?
    Now, onto all this stuff about poor people. Nobody's sayin that ALL poor people are skangers. Basically some are ok. The guy who delivers our milk is a nice enough chap, for example.
    But, you just need to look at them. The ones who do the crime all look the same. They have barry mcguigan moustaches and usually smell of curry chips. You see one of them, just leggit.Or call the cops. It might just be actually bary mcguigan eating curry chips, but your best not to take any chances in town.
    And who's that tool who says im some kind of accountant? obviously gettin me mixed up with my old man. HE'S the accountant in our gaff. It's because of his hard work tht I only have to work 2 days a week, I'm glad to report.
    And I dont think you should be lobbing all middle class ppl into one "righteous tosser" group. Most of us are very socially aware, and are just trying to share our wisdom.

Blackrock for the cup!!!!!!

The jazz man

You're an idiot, and a horrible gimmick.

you woudn't have the guts to call me an idiot if i had a barry Mac moustache and a celtic jersey. And thats why skangers are dangerous folk. Nice southside boys allow free speech. A country run by skangers would mean the end of free speech, coz ur local TD would batter u if u were cheeky to him.
    Although I'd totally take giblet no problem if it came to it, obviously, having been a prop forward legend at university.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Im almost wetting myself with laughter here!!! LOL @ jazzbandit the chancer!

Never mind the skangers, Ive been with many women who had a barry mcguigan moustache!!

• Advertisement

hahahahah faceman, been there, bought the t-shirt too.

U ever get beard rash from a mot? Ashamed to say I have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Hydroquinone

jazzbandit wrote:
    Right,
    Skangers should be, like, deported or stoned or whatever we do to criminals. I think we all agree on that?
    Where do you live that anyone at all gets stoned or deported?
    Though I get the distinct feeling you might be one of those two things, just at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭zenith

jazzbandit banned, thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement