Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inner City Dublin

Options
  • 08-09-2005 2:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭

There's always a lot of people complaining about the amount of scumbags in Dublin on boards. Anyway, I now work by the Four Courts in Dublin, which has a lot of inner city council flats/houses in the area. From my office all I hear all day is people from these areas screaming, junkies fighting, pyjama-clad pregnant girls shouting at each other etc. They also seem to have no respect for anything, they throw litter all over the place, none of them seem to work, and it does my head in that I can't go for a walk or to the shop on my breaks without having to look at these people. I lived in Edinbugh last year, in the city centre, and there were NO council houses or flats in the city centre, they moved them all to the outskirts ages ago, like they done in Glasgow too. Are there any plans to do this here? It's not a good thing for tourists with these people everywhere making a show of us. Or will the city centre be forever riddled with these scumbags. Why don't they relocate them and build apartments where hard-working respectable people can live? And I know they're not all bad, but these areas seem to produce a right load of knackers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

yea town is a disgrace with the amount of scaldy knackers about the place

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

If this turns into a "knacker bashing" thread then it gets locked.

Discuss it away lads but keep the above in mind. Make points not generalisations if you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭JungleBunny

As one of the threads in here already pointed out, Irish scumbags are just easier to spot. Most of them will have the stereotypical trackies, nike, baseball caps etc so you can spot them a mile away... especially when the "how-weyehh" comes out.

As for them not working and hanging around on the streets, I dont see why they should get away with that. I remember sitting in a field years ago and being told (no we were not drinking) by coppers that we were loitering. WTF is that anyway and why is it not loitering when packs of scumbags are hangin around in the streets? Why do they get to do what they want??

There are a lot of them around where I live... Actually I am surrounded by them... but as long as they stay away from me and my property I dont have that much of a problem.

As for tourists getting a bad impression from these people, I am not so sure. My uncle thinks they are part of this culture and I guess he is right. They dont seem to bother him, again only as long as they stay away from him.

But one question I do have.... What is up with the Pyjamas?????????
    I go across the road to the shop and they are in their PJ's!!! Anytime of the day! I thought this was hysterical the first time I saw it and always thought it was just a myth when people told me about this?
    If they wear their PJ's outside.... do they wear their jeans and shirts in bed?????? :confused:
    I don't get it :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭fischerspooner

what I wanted to discuss was why Dublin insists on housing undesirables (I don't care if I sound snobbish) in the city centre, when every other city I've visited doesn't? Shouldn't we keep these problems away from the centre of our capital?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

At the time that the social housing schemes were being constructed these areas had some of the cheapest land due to the areas being ravaged by drugs and urban decay. Locating families there also tied in with notions of urban regeneration.

• Advertisement

these inner city areas would be prime locations for business and property development. Surely the government would make a profit by selling off the land to private investors and relocating the townies out in the sticks, where they can buy less expensive land?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Moved to Humanities. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭declanoneill

No, No, you're not going far enough. We don't just want them out of the city centre, lets get them out of Dublin. Hell, out of Ireland! If we stuck them all on the Aran Islands we could let the skangers and inbred islanders kill each other, it's a win win situation.

I mean seriously, come on....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 jazzbandit

well, for what its worth I reckon we should just nuke the whole northside anyway, and not just town.

Why do skangers ALWAYS wear Celtic jerseys, by the way?

I once met an old homeless boy on the bus. He wanted to me to meet him in town to help him "fight crime and clean up our streets". I'm not hard enough to even fight crime in Foxrock, but I think he had the right idea, roysh.

AND, while I'm ranting, why do boggers always wear their county colours whn they go abroad. I live in the UK and its embarrassing every weekend to see crowds of paddy blokes all wearin poxy sligo jerseys or whatever walkin down the town centre thinkin everyone is thinkin they're the dogs ghoulies.

Get some proper clothes, bogmonsters.

The jazzman

• Advertisement

declanoneill: They have done this with the tenements in most British and european cities, why shouldn't we do it here? Is it too much to ask to have a city centre which doesn't have this scum all over the place?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

I lived in Edinbugh last year, in the city centre, and there were NO council houses or flats in the city centre, they moved them all to the outskirts ages ago, like they done in Glasgow too. Are there any plans to do this here?
    Haha, yeah and they created a social crisis in the process!

I think your post says much more about you than it does you're "little problem" in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭dawballz

jazzbandit wrote:
    AND, while I'm ranting, why do boggers always wear their county colours whn they go abroad. I live in the UK and its embarrassing every weekend to see crowds of paddy blokes all wearin poxy sligo jerseys or whatever walkin down the town centre thinkin everyone is thinkin they're the dogs ghoulies.

Get some proper clothes, bogmonsters.

The jazzman

There's nothin wrong with that imo.
    Anyway.. that's a totally different topic.

and what does it say about me? I'm from a working class area on the northside but there's a huge difference between that and the inner city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I can't go for a walk or to the shop on my breaks without having to look at these people.
    I agree with you completely chum.
    Every time I see or hear a skanger I feel like my mind has been violated. :(
    It's an assault on the senses that no honest, respectable, denizen of Dublin should have to suffer.
    The government should send them all off to live in Limerick with thier own kind.
    The worst part is, they're not even worth my contempt... like yourself, I'd prefer no to see them in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭adonis

i love scangers...
    i dunno if u have seen this...tis amusing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scangers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

This thread should be in the humour forum or the cuckooo's nest.

This generalisation that all inner city corperation residents are all scangers is laughable. Who the fuck are you to judge these people?
    I will put this simply. Just imagine for a minute, what it would feel like if you were at home in you neighbourhood (were the past 2 or 3 generations of your family have lived) and some tosspot with a pinstrip suit,pink shirt and blue tie decides that he wants all your family to get out of the locality just because it is located on prime real estate. What would you say....!!

These inner city people have been marginalised for the past 20 years and unless you are an idiot you would see that this has one purpose, to force them out of there homes to some urban sprall (tallaght,blanch) were they know bugger all people and there is no sense of community. Then sell of the land to the highest bidder!

Ok there is social problems like drugs and lack of education but this is all down to resources not being available to the community to fight them. The goverment have no problem throwing 1/2 a billion in tax cuts at big business financial institutions but when it comes to community schemes in the inner city, they have to beg for a few grand to stay open..

And how would you like it if you walk out your front door to get the milk or something in the morning and alls you have to look at is dipship wannabee's in cheap suits staring at you as if you were the dirt on their shoe!!!!!

Put a bit of thought into the problems these people are facing before you tar them all with the one brush

I went out and did something with my life. They have the choice. They take the easy option which is being a slacker. I'm not tarring them ALL with the same brush, but a high percentage of people from these areas, for whatever reason, end up as junkie wasters. I went to a school in the inner city these kids had the same opportunities I did but they allowed themselves to be misled, it seems to be out of sheer laziness. Yes I do look at them like dirt on my shoe, that's all they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

I went out and did something with my life. They have the choice. They take the easy option which is being a slacker. I'm not tarring them ALL with the same brush, ibut a high percentage of people from these areas, for whatever reason, end up as junkie wasters. I went to a school in the inner city these kids had the same opportunities I did but they allowed themselves to be misled, it seems to be out of sheer laziness. iiYes I do look at them like dirt on my shoe, that's all they are.
    :rolleyes:

i. why is this do you think?
    would I be right in saying that if you put a thousand people from one area, say foxrock and a thousand from say sherriff street(if there still is a thousand there?) in a room, that the ones foxrock are a better breed of human, or would they be the same?, the only difference being environment, education and wealth.

ii. your an idiot!! //Edit// nah ****it I wont edit, your an idiot!!!!!!!! //edit//

Meditraitor or whatever he is has just exposed a great weakness of the left. Flying off the handle to make a point that, in essence, is a reasonable one to make, but ruining it by losin the head.

Look we all know that skangers are skangers for a reason. We all know it's coz they're poor. We all know that life favours the better off. We all know they're pretty much genetically similiar to ppl from foxrock.

However, I still think there's an almost universal dislike of skangers, which is being reflected here. I've mentioned on another thread that I've disliked personally 99.999% of junkies that I've ever met, but accept there are reasons for them being the way they are.

Just becasue people act they way they do for various reasons, doesnt mean we all have to just shut up and accept it. If one of them mugged ur ma, ud call the cops and hopefully have them put away, right?

Kind regards,

The jazz man

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

There are lot less scumbags than there used to be. Parts of the inner city used to be no go areas, but now with apartments appearing everywhere, things have improved dramatically. I've lived in the city centre for about 10 years, and I've seen the changes first hand. And anyway, some places may look dodgy, but the scumbags generally keep to themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

This thread is very funny, given all the sanctimonious stuff spewed on these forums lately about how Hurricane Katrina showed the way that the US government/economic system písses on the poor and the black. :D

Oh, of course, we wouln't have classist attitudes like that in good old holy mother Ireland where all are equal except the scobies and the knacks who live in the inner city. They clutter the place up. They should be swept out of there with the broom of urban renewal and some nice, shiny priapic towers with yuppies living in them erected in place of their poxy flats.

Have you no sense of irony. :D:D

yeah, ship em out! Although saying that, if the land was sold to some property developer, he/she would probably try to squeeze as much money as he could for himself out of it..has anyone seen the phoenix park racecourse (for example,, those apartments are an abomination)

I dont think they are all scumbags, anyway, all societies need a certain amount of wasters, these are the intellegencia, like myslef, for instance.

oh, and spooner...if hope lies in the proles, why you diss' them so?

jazzbandit wrote:
    Meditraitor or whatever he is has just exposed a great weakness of the left. Flying off the handle to make a point that, in essence, is a reasonable one to make, but ruining it by losin the head.

Look we all know that skangers are skangers for a reason. We all know it's coz they're poor. We all know that life favours the better off. We all know they're pretty much genetically similiar to ppl from foxrock.

However, I still think there's an almost universal dislike of skangers, which is being reflected here. I've mentioned on another thread that I've disliked personally 99.999% of junkies that I've ever met, but accept there are reasons for them being the way they are.

Just becasue people act they way they do for various reasons, doesnt mean we all have to just shut up and accept it. If one of them mugged ur ma, ud call the cops and hopefully have them put away, right?

Kind regards,

The jazz man

to point out flaws in one's argurment...

100% of muggers are scumbags.
    not 100% of scumbags/scangers are muggers..FACT

its logical when u look at it like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

fly_agaric wrote:
    This thread is very funny, given all the sanctimonious stuff spewed on these forums lately about how Hurricane Katrina showed the way that the US government/economic system písses on the poor and the black. :D
    Not really... being black isn't a choice, being a skanger is. (not that they're the same thing by any strech, don't even go there)
    Not all poor people are skangers... and at the same time not all skangers are poor... sure a lot of them are, but are they skangers because they're poor, or are they poor because they're skangers?
    Also our skanger population is very well looked after when they need it, just like everyone else.
    I'd define skanger not as a social class but more as a personality trait... the outer signs of skang being the direct result of the skang mentality.
    It's not an issue of income either... do you think those nike air max and solid-gold sovergn rings come cheap? As if they're the last desperate resort of poor people trying to stay warm? :rolleyes:

The thing is - inner city scumbags really have as much opportunities as most other less well off people. Take a black immigrant who comes from Nigeria to Dublin for example. He goes out gets some crappy job as a security guard or something, pays his rent, gets a car, and lives a respectable life. Why can't scumbags do that? Because - there is a yob culture among them. They are content with living on the dole and being scroungers. But why should we have to fund that? They think they're too good for low paid jobs and are too lazy to educate themselves to achieve a better job. So ship them out to the sticks - I don't care about them - out of sight out of mind - why would you care about these wasters?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I rarely go into city center anymore. Was in there last night and TBH the place doesn't look safe at all. My friends were getting accosted by two junkies looking for cash and wouldn't leave them alone. I had to walk alone back to the car the number of dodgy people and deals going on around O'Connell street was unreal.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Skangers are definitely not based purely around social class. I live in Dalkey which I think most of you know is a pretty well to do area. But guess what we have the odd group of skangers here too. They are by no means poor and other members of their family are definitley not skangers. A skanger is a personality trait among these people and they choose to be like that, talk like that, dress like that etc. Basically these people to choose to live a lazy life and to just hang around street corners amoking and wrecking the place because they think it’s a cool thing to do.

Problem with the inner cuty is that there is allot more of them there than anywhere else. To the guy that wants to move them out of there. I agree with you to a point but where would you propose to move them too. I certainly don’t want any of them moving out to my area.

yes let's send them all to dalkey!! I wonder if bono would help the poor if they lived around the corner!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

LOL I doubt that for some reason

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement