Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

does anyone live in france?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Howdy, if you follow the coast road , D98, from Hyeres near Toulon through Bormes, Lavandou, Cavaliere, Rayol, Canadel you come to Cavalaire sur Mer from there it's about another 16k to St Tropez. It's a seaside town only 5361 people, I don't know if myself, the wife and son are included in that though.:)

What's Montpellier like, I've never been there.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭pukey

my recollections of montpellier are of a decent place with a pedestrianised centre entirely covered in dog poo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭dundalk cailin

Hagar wrote:
    Howdy, if you follow the coast road , D98, from Hyeres near Toulon through Bormes, Lavandou, Cavaliere, Rayol, Canadel you come to Cavalaire sur Mer from there it's about another 16k to St Tropez. It's a seaside town only 5361 people, I don't know if myself, the wife and son are included in that though.:)

What's Montpellier like, I've never been there.?
    not stayin in montpellier itself, bout hr away, small town called beziers, jus slightly bigger than dundalk. visited montpellier once or twice, seems to b a student city, the centre has a good buzz bout it.

pukey wrote:
    paris is cool(just a little too hot right now).i had a job coming over so i don't know how hard it is to get work here. there's a 10% unemployment rate i think so having mad skills would help. they like people to speak french to them too, so work on that. supermarkets are cheap. trains are cheap if you're under 25(there's a reduction card for people 12-25, takes up to 50% 0ff)
    yes i got that carte 12-25, it cost €50, but im visitn friends of mine who are studyin in annecy, and the train tickets cost €60 rather than €120 so iv saved the price of the card alraeady. these trains are one tgv, one ter up, and one tgv, one ter back, theres no direct journey. i find where im stayin more expensive than dundalk, bad news for a strugglin student :( or rather bad news for my parents!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭jm2k

pukey wrote:
    the submarine base is this huge second world war german base. it's mindbogglingly big. the roof is something like 4-5metres of reinforced concrete, there are 8 pens and a kind of lock seperating it from the open water. there's a french nuclear sub from the '50s there, and usually warships to be seen in the boatyards nearby
    made it to st nazaire there last weekend as had a few friends over from home, was fantastic. there's a great view from the roof. did the tour of the submarine, really great the way you can roam the sub as you want. well worth the visit. also went to la baule, lovely spot, huge beach!

took a bit of a road trip while they were here as well, saw toulouse, montpellier, (passed beziers too) marseilles, toulon, and over to nice and monaco. had a great time. but the trip home was tough as we drove straight from monaco back to nantes! ...12 hours in the back of a clio with 3 in the back seat! we didnt plan it at all, once we saw the viaduct at millau we were going to stop, but just kept goin. never forget it, def want to get back to monaco for a longer look.

• Advertisement

sounds legend, i need a roadtrip

having just finished touring many of paris' good, great and atrocious irish bars i was wondering if there are any where ye are, and if they're any good, whether they're just a french cafe with a name like "le somethinggenericlyirish" or have dangerous amounts of outdated farm machinery hanging from the ceiling with a bicycle in the window?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭dawballz

pukey wrote:
    was wondering if anyone lives in france and what they thought of it?

About 60million people apparently.

Here in Nantes, I've found three so far...

John McByrnes - about as close as you can get to home, run by a man from donegal, you can even get a half decent pint of the black stuff.

Buck Mulligans - not bad, kind of irish/french melonge, good atmosphere.

Molly Malones - stay clear, only thing irish about it is the name.

Anything good in Paris pukey? (was amazed to find an irish pub in montmartre last time i was there)

am, just a quick round up, by no means comprehensive....

james joyce-the first pub you meet off the bus from beauvais, never met another irish person there the few times i've killed a half hour waiting for a bus

coolins-been there once, seemed alright but i wouldn't rush back there. i'm told it's great

corcorans-savage pub, recommend it

mcbrides-again a good pub, decent enough pints

there's a second corcorans but i've never been, there's few others i've not been to and there's a good few trading on the image but which are definitely french. a couple of good english speaking bars too, ozzie bars, canadian bars etc
    yup if speaking english while you get drunk is what you're after, you can get it here

• Advertisement

apparently there's one irish pub in beziers, but it doesn have the atmosphere of an irish pub, i was told this by someone who s never bn in ireland...i dread to think!! wish i was in montpellier!!

pukey wrote:

james joyce-the first pub you meet off the bus from beauvais, never met another irish person there the few times i've killed a half hour waiting for a bus

coolins-been there once, seemed alright but i wouldn't rush back there. i'm told it's great

there's a second corcorans but i've never been, there's few others i've not been to and there's a good few trading on the image but which are definitely french. a couple of good english speaking bars too, ozzie bars, canadian bars etc
    yup if speaking english while you get drunk is what you're after, you can get it here

where abouts are they?, might check them out next time i'm in paris

if u want the difinitive non-irish "irish pub" check out the "Irish Tatoo Pub" in Toulon ...what it had to do with Ireland or Tatooing completely eluded me, but it was the best of the bunch there!

james joyce is by the palais de congres, metro porte maillot, opposite end of the avenue de la grande armee to the arc de triomphe
    corcorans is on the south side of the river near notre dame
    coolins is down the road from corcorans, opposite side of rue saint germain
    mcbrides is a couple of hundred yards in front of the pompidou centre
    the second corcorans is in clichy i think
    cafe oz is between corcorans and mcbrides, handy that
    there's an alright canadian bar on the island that doesn't have notre dame on it
    um that's all i can think of right now

oh there's a horrendous abomination that might be called the guinness tavern near mcbrides. the inside is timbered out, there's always irish music playing too loud to hear yourself ask why you even came in, u2 videos being looped on the moniters and no-one english speaking working there. the others seem to hire either irish or english speakers as a rule so it's safe enough if your french isn't up to much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭esperanza

pukey wrote:

Irish pubs are such a rip-off, I remember paying 6 euro for a pint of Guinness in Coolin's two years ago. I haven't been into an Irish pub since!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

I lived in Strasbourg for 18 months, now in London since April this year.

Strasbourg has about 5 different "Irish" bars...3 of which have only a sign over the door indicating that Murphys or Kilkenny is sold here.

The other two bars were better

- "The Irish Times" was always great for live bands and general debauchery, until Jan 2004 when it started on a long sad decline.. don't know why exactly.

- "Murphys" on Rue des freres, near the Cathedral, was probably my fav by the end... even though no one there actually speaks English either... and they used to play Coldplay(??) and U2 on loop constantly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

not stayin in montpellier itself, bout hr away, small town called beziers, jus slightly bigger than dundalk. visited montpellier once or twice, seems to b a student city, the centre has a good buzz bout it.

Beziers is a bit of a funny one alright, try and get to Carcassonne and Narbonne as often as you can as they are pretty nearby to you. A lot livelier too :D

fly into carcassonne when comin over, passed thru narbonne on train! yea i must get out n about! u live in france? or visited?

was in narbonne in august, good craic during the summer at least. much more fun than paris in riot anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭Miss Fluff

fly into carcassonne when comin over, passed thru narbonne on train! yea i must get out n about! u live in france? or visited?

My family live between the two for a good part of the year so I'm over and back a few times a year. Honestly, if you try and get out of Beziers as much as possible (I completely agree - it is a kip) you'll have a fabulous time! Thing is, train service is great so everything is accessible and at least there is a buzz around the places I mentioned. Just to console you, it's a wet, windy morning here in Ireland so take advantage of that mild weather girl and enjoy!!;)

yea im gonna try, the only prob is im on my own, n the classmates have loads of stuff for coll, plus they dont live local (lucky thm) i dont particularly like travellin, visitin places on my own

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

I just started my new job in Paris (I was studying in Dublin last year) and I miss Ireland so much (I came back to France for the job ...). Anybody living in Paris and willing to go for a few pints in one of the pubs mentionned in this thread ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Dublin7

Bob24 wrote:
    I just started my new job in Paris (I was studying in Dublin last year) and I miss Ireland so much (I came back to France for the job ...). Anybody living in Paris and willing to go for a few pints in one of the pubs mentionned in this thread ?

Back to Paris too just like you after spending 2 years in Dublin, send me a private message if you want to chat and go for pints.

Dublin7 wrote:
    Back to Paris too just like you after spending 2 years in Dublin, send me a private message if you want to chat and go for pints.

PM sent ... if other people wanna join let us know :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭Intel

My favourite pubs in Paris...

No 1. The Harp , Bld de CLichy Mo: Place de CLichy or Pigalle

- really small cosy place, reasonable prices ,good atmosphere during the afternoon. Good to go from 4am when the other places in the area close.

No.1 1/2 Cafe Oz - Rue St Denis, Near Chatelet and McBrides Mo:Chatelet

Cool place but get there early to get a seat at the bar/or anyother seat or else you'll just be hanging by the door which is no fun at all.

N0. 2. O'Sullivans (Bld de clichy 2 mins from the Harp and Moulin rouge's neighbour) .
    One of Paris' biggest venues. Not an irish pub in the traditional sense but smart without being unpretentious. €10 in but 1st drink is free
    From hanging out there it is the place for french people to be seen and the choice for us irish bar staff to go after work. Bit over priced though, but if you buy your drinks through an irish bar staff member from another pub you get a discount!
    ps the Moulin Rouge girls come here after work/on nights off and they nearly always end up in the HArp!!
    Good craic on Saturday when the huge dancefloor in the back opens up and you can dance on tables and they have scantily clad dancers about the place.
    Also one on Grand Boulevards, but its nothing in comparison.

No.3. Corcorans -Bld de Clichy - between O'sullivans and the harp
    Nice place but not as friendly as O'sullivans and the harp. good slection of
    drinks

N0. 4 James Joyce pub - Mo:Porte Maillot
    Used to work here, its a good laugh.
    Clientele: Americans from the various hotels so they're easy going. Also some easygoing parisians hang out here sometimes. Irish families on their way to the Ryanair bus (at lunchtime only)
    overpriced though

There are also some other ones too like mcBrides which are good enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I'm in Paris right now (have been for about a week) but I'm having a terrible time with the bars. PM me if anyones around!! Could handle a few drinks tonight or tomorrow (thurs)...

dublindude wrote:
    I'm in Paris right now (have been for about a week) but I'm having a terrible time with the bars. PM me if anyones around!! Could handle a few drinks tonight or tomorrow (thurs)...

I was at Corcoran's (in St Michel) with Dublin7 yesterday, the Guinness is better than in most of the other places I've been to. The place is OK but the smoking ban definitly is something I miss about IE ...

Anyway, too bad you missed us, but I'm always up for a pint ;) (less than in Dublin given the quality, the price, and the amount of money I spent lately ...)

PM sent :)

Advertisement