Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

does anyone live in france?

Options
  • 02-09-2005 6:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭

was wondering if anyone lives in france and what they thought of it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Yeah. I do.

In Cavalaire on the coast about 16k SE of St Tropez.
    I like it here. :D

What do you need to know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭pukey

don't really need to know anything as such. i'm back living in paris(lived here before) and kind of bored.

Bored in Paris? That's a bit like being cold on the Cote d'Azur. :D

yeah you'd think so but no. gets to be like anywhere else after a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭jm2k

Just moved to Nantes on saturday! its sooo hot :)

• Advertisement

the submarine base there is so cool, just so huge. the bridge too.

sorry, i was thinking of st nazaire which is near enough to nantes, down the river some

There'a a torpedo factory on the left as you drive into St. Tropez. The tourist's don't notice it because it's painted lovely pastel pinks and blues and made to look like an apartment block on the outside. Say what you like, but the French have style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭jm2k

pukey wrote:
    the submarine base there is so cool, just so huge. the bridge too.

might take a trip there so one of the days

the submarine base is this huge second world war german base. it's mindbogglingly big. the roof is something like 4-5metres of reinforced concrete, there are 8 pens and a kind of lock seperating it from the open water. there's a french nuclear sub from the '50s there, and usually warships to be seen in the boatyards nearby

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭adonis

whats it like living in france? i was thinking off moving there sometime..probably to paris if i could, i like paris..
    whats work like sans french?? i can only speak a little bit of french, but im a learning!

paris is cool(just a little too hot right now).i had a job coming over so i don't know how hard it is to get work here. there's a 10% unemployment rate i think so having mad skills would help. they like people to speak french to them too, so work on that. supermarkets are cheap. trains are cheap if you're under 25(there's a reduction card for people 12-25, takes up to 50% 0ff)

yeah i have been to paris a good few times...do you know any good job webistes or anytihng like that..i guess that i would be working in the IT industry, thats my background..im just wondering if it is all french speaking..failing that i am tefl qualified too...
    the language i can see as a problem. i dont know what level i can get to without moving there...i can speak spanish though if thats any good... :rolleyes:

no idea about websites. maybe try looking for the anpe website(probably anpe.fr?) they're the french employment agency. i know people who work in marketing here that just speak english at work, with other internationals, and use french socially. the english language papers are full of people offering language courses so there's a market for that too.

thanks pukey! ill check it out!! vive le france..
    should i be saying this after last night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭dundalk cailin

i moved to the south of france bout 3 wks ago, im studyn here for the yr. the town im in is pretty crap, there's no social life as such or much young ppl, the students mostly live in neighbrorin towns n drive to coll

Where abouts in the SOF?

bizarely, the irish cultural centre here in paris are giving irish lessons, from french to irish. that was until it became apparent everyone spoke pretty good english and they reverted to the english/irish way.
    there's even a french/irish dictionary

Where could I get a copy of that dictionary?

well. whsmiths here in paris definitely, which doesn't help you being down south and all. it's part of a series of french/other language dictionaries so definitely try the fnac or bhv. it's A5 sized. i'll check the exact title on saturday and post it then. am actually sitting the class, brainfarted my way through the first one like a man who'd never done the 12yrs or whatever in school

• Advertisement

Thanks for that Pukey, sorry if the request looked a bit abrupt.

Check out www.angloinfo.com

@Pukey I found this yesterday and stuck it up on the Gaeilge thread. Is it the one you're talking about?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=3456825#post3456825

might be, i've no idea who wrote it. went by whsmiths to confirm the title, couldn't find it, so i asked and was assured by the shop assisant that a book relating to welsh was alm0st certainly what i was looking for.
    so in short, it'll be wednesday before i'm sure what book i'm talking about. i was told there's only one so the one you're on about is probably it. are you from a gaeltacht then hagar?

:D:D:D No I'm from The Liberties in Dublin.

Not a well known Gealtacht by any means. The Christian Brothers in James' St tried unsucessfully to beat the language into me. They should have tried to relate Irish to where we lived and what we did in our day to day lives instead of pushing Peig Sayers and Mairtin O'Caiomhin (sp) down out throats. We weren't country people and talking to us about cows in any language would have produced a poor result. A couple of swear words would have made it a bit more real too.;)

my bad. the wording in the link made me think you spoke irish first, then english and then learned french. thus the double translating, irish/english + english/french
    swearing in other laguages is great

just googled the isqwhatever number, i think we're on about seperate books. should i follow this here or in the gaeilge forum? anyway the one i'm on about is a phrase book with a small dictionary at the back, like something lonely planet would put out. again, i'll post the name asap

No problem. After I left school I worked I taught myself Irish upto Gold Fainne standard. Life in general took over and lack of practice let my fluency slip away. Right now I'm learning French and it has woken up the Irish words and phrases in the back of my mind. So what I'm doing now is when I learn something in French I try to learn it in Irish too. One day I'll probably manage to go mentally from from French to Irish and back again without using English.

Sorry to the OP for posting off topic so much.

yeah when i was learning frrench and trying to talk about stuff i'd go from english to irish to german and finally find the french phrase i was looking for. now when i'm trying to speak irish i go french to german to saying "agus, agus" and then finihing by saying something in irish that had nothing to do with what i want to say but finishes my part of a conversation nicely. is this off-topic. it' kindoff about wanting to be able to speak irish when when we (irish people) are abroad, and how learning a foreign language reawakens irish in us? anyone i've spoken to has said that being irish abroad has made them almost ashamed to not be able to speak irish beyond "conas ata tu" or explaining why "tiocfaidh ar la" is scribbled on the toilet walls in every irish pub

We have been at a parent teacher meeting at my son's school and the natural assumption has been English speaker = English person. We fairly quickly dis-abused them of that idea. They expected my son to have more French as an English child his age probably would have. I had to explain that the education system in Ireland was different and the we learned Irish from an early age and didn't start French, optionally, until secondary school. They then realised that he was working on his third language and most of them professed no second language. There was a new found respect. That made me smile inside, big time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭dundalk cailin

Hagar wrote:
    Where abouts in the SOF?
    hi hagar, im near montpellier. dont know cavalaire?

Advertisement