Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRL: 1X18 - "Numbers" [**SPOILERS WITHIN**]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Sauron

Good
    it is the same box company.. I only noticed on my second viewing..

the man hurley is talking to mentions a box factory in tuston

cut back to the episode where hurley is taking the manifest.. Locke says he lived most of his life in Tuston California....

when was Wyoming mentioned?

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Fridge

Average
    The box factory Hurley had a share in was in Los Crusis (sp?). That's all I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I love Hurley, he's one of the better characters, but I honestly thought the first 10 minutes or so of his backstory was a farce.

I'm perfectly willing to suspend my disbelief for what's happening on the island and maybe a little bit before then but it just seemed too much.

Other than that this episode was good. Looks like Hurley's gonna have to cough up on his debt to Walt when they get back as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Red Soup

Good
    i think the hatch and what we saw tonight with the numbers on it is actually a buried ww2 destroyer, (imagines influenced by farcry).

anyone else think that?

how could a ww3 destroyer be buried inland?

excellent episode. good to see everyone on the island getting on generally better too. i was a bit disappointed with the french woman (this was the first time i've seen her - missed the last ep.) - she seems a bit clueless and as if she doesn't know much about the island, after being there so many years. she doesn't look wild enough either! I think she must have been on some military mission - the gun, search party, changing the radio signal - but she's french! why would the french navy have ships in the pacific?

oh and claire seems to be the type of actress that would fit right in to something like the OC, with her sideways smiles, and technique of raise eyes, lowers eyes... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

Good
    yeah i missed the episode where sayid met the french woman too. where does the rope lead into the water? is it a rope or a wire? (heard hurley say it was a wire)
    yeah i noticed hurley on the tv, thought i was seeing things, i knew if it was real , i'd read it in here today.

so confused about these numbers though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Red Soup wrote:
    but she's french! why would the french navy have ships in the pacific?

Because they have blown up a few places in their colonies in the Pacific:

http://www.thebulletin.org/article.php?art_ofn=mar90danielsson

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Average
    I noticed hurley on the tv and caught the box company thing. Seems to me that they're all intertwined from the "real world" in some way now. Last nights episode just made it blatant (IMO). (edit: Because I'm normally terrible at catching stuff like that).

I voted the numbers thing "good", but overall last nights shows were excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

Poor
    Go over to Lost Numbers Guide for some mind boggling explanations

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Some of those are coincidental (land mass of country/population etc.) but the rest of them are pretty cool. I wonder how much thought was put into having these numbers appear throughout the season by the producers/writers. It would seem that they play a BIG part in whatever is going on. I like the "box" theory that a door to this island has been opened by the numbers but I still don't understand the significance of the numbers appearing everywhere as suggested by the link above. Can't wait for next weeks episode.

Poor
    So what this means is that it is Hurleys fault everyone is there. By the 4th Season expect to see everyone turned into savages and Hurley roasting on a spit. Poor guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Good
    I thought this was a good double bill. With a very serious episode on before it it was light and enjoyable.

This was an excellent episode, prehaps Testicular needs to be banned. If you don't like the show then make a thread title "reasons LOST is overhyped".

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Fridge

Average
    Red Soup wrote:
    i was a bit disappointed with the french woman (this was the first time i've seen her - missed the last ep.) - she seems a bit clueless and as if she doesn't know much about the island, after being there so many years. she doesn't look wild enough either!

She just wasn't sure about the numbers. But just because she's been there for a long time, it doesn't mean she'd get the chance to find out what they mean. She seems to be on her own the whole time, though I could be wrong. It probably never occured to her that all this was happening because of numbers, especially if she didn't find the same numbers in other cases to bring bad luck. Hurley only twigged because he had previous experience with the numbers (lotto etc).
    I think she must have been on some military mission - the gun, search party, changing the radio signal - but she's french! why would the french navy have ships in the pacific?

Yeah, her and the people she came with were a "Team". Don't know what they were doing but it mustn't have been very urgent if they decided to go off and investigate the numbers they heard on the radio.

The French are big army wise.
    Actually I hear they have more weapons than any other country.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Average
    Fridge wrote:
    The French are big army wise.
    Actually I hear they have more weapons than any other country.

Yes they are big for sure. 3rd or 4th largest nuclear weapon cache AFAIK.

A quick google puts them in the top ten for air force and navy size.

They also have lots of research vessels travelling the oceans to be fair. :)

Not sure about that weapons thing though. The US populace has a lot of guns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

Poor
    More than China or the USA? I doubt it.

Also, I thought that "you opened the box" was a reference to Pandora's Box.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Average
    A good episode only reallly let down by the guessing the amount of beans in the jar story.

4,815,162,342 beans? I mean... what the hell?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Good
    Khannie wrote:
    Yes they are big for sure. 3rd or 4th largest nuclear weapon cache AFAIK.

A quick google puts them in the top ten for air force and navy size.

They also have lots of research vessels travelling the oceans to be fair. :)

Not sure about that weapons thing though. The US populace has a lot of guns.

Type: french military victories into Google, click "I'm feeling lucky" and see what you get :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Good
    A good episode only reallly let down by the guessing the amount of beans in the jar story.

4,815,162,342 beans? I mean... what the hell?

maybe it was a very large jar...:D

or maybe he added the numbers together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

Terrible!
    steveland? wrote:
    If L5 votes poor on one more episode without giving an actual reason he's banned... you have been warned... there's no point coming in here and just voting poor to be annoying, if you have a comment to make about it being poor then there's no problem...

Anyways, my favorite episode of the series...

did it occur to you that maybe i dont like the show?
    Or do i have to agree with everything you say ? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Good
    L5 wrote:
    did it occur to you that maybe i dont like the show?
    Or do i have to agree with everything you say ? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Did you even watch this episode?

Terrible!
    yep, watched all 24 or was it 25 episodes. got them from my cousin.
    I didnt like it, not my cup of tea. to be fair i didnt vote for the worst option did i i voted for the one above it !

• Advertisement

Good
    L5 wrote:
    I didnt like it, not my cup of tea. to be fair i didnt vote for the worst option did i i voted for the one above it !

Fair enough, if you saw the episode and didnt' like it, that's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Good
    L5 wrote:

Thats the point,you dont like the show so sod off posting poor every damn episode. If you dont like it so much why bother wasting your time? You voted the first 8 episodes "terrible",yet you say you continued to watch all 24 episodes? Something wrong there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Terrible!
    tvnutz wrote:
    Thats the point,you dont like the show so sod off posting poor every damn episode. If you dont like it so much why bother wasting your time? You voted the first 8 episodes "terrible",yet you say you continued to watch all 24 episodes? Something wrong there.

Hmm tvnuts you havent met this kind of poster yet, lurks on internet forums and then when all are in agreeance (a word) with a certain subject finds an irrestible urge to be differnet and then its born........

troll.jpg

kdjac

Terrible!
    KdjaC wrote:
    Hmm tvnuts you havent met this kind of poster yet, lurks on internet forums and then when all are in agreeance (a word) with a certain subject finds an irrestible urge to be differnet and then its born........

troll.jpg

kdjac

hmmm kdjac, you voted poor yourself for it nay?

Terrible!
    tvnutz wrote:

yes, in the hope id grow into it. i have a right to express my opinion freely dont i? I invested time in watching the show, i have a right to express my opinion on an episode by episode basis via these polls should i choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

That sounds pretty stupid, L5. Why waste time if you have no interest in it? Makes no sense :confused:

Anyway, I liked the episode. Cleared a few things up and created a load of new questions.

Poor
    TVnutz The point of a poll is so people can speak their minds. If you tell everyone who rates LOST poor to sod off Basquille might as well just provide one option, 'Excellent'. You're just being a tad selfish and afraid to admit some people just dont like LOST. By the way why isn't Basquille one of the mods for this forum

Good
    Sweet wrote:
    By the way why isn't Basquille one of the mods for this forum

Very true, Basquille for mod!

(edit: not admin :o )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

I think TVNutz point is that L5 doesn't ever comment on the episodes, he just votes poor regardless of what he thought of the particular episode. L5 said himself he doesn't like LOST which leads you to believe that he is simply voting "poor" as a default instead of taking each episode based on it's own merits. This also makes him a very sad little man for constantly going to the LOST board just to vote poor. Don't come back at me saying "but everyone has a right to their opinion" cause I aint challenging that. I just think it's sad. When I don't like something, Big Brother for instance, I don't go trolling the Big Brother forum spouting "it's poor, it's terrible etc.". I just leave it alone and don't waste my time on it which is what I suggest you do.

• Advertisement

Poor
    But maybe hes the only who will admit that its not as good as he was hoping. LOST is a bit overhyped. Come on look how it sounds on paper. Survivors of a plane find themselves on an island complete a with crazy French woman, a polar bear, a psychotic madman,a kid with superpowers, underground tunnels and a box full of evil. The best thing about Lost is the characters, especially Locke. Nevertheless I still find it hugely entertaining and a fantastic show, one of the best Ive ever seen. But it is in no way plausible and maybe thats why it appeals to me but not to L5.

Advertisement