Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drink Of The Week

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Nomination: Becks

Now that Becks has started to appear on the taps at pubs nationwide, what better time to recommend it for drink of the week. Brewed in Bremen in accordance with old-style purity laws (allegedly), Becks is a medium-light tasty but suprisingly strong pils made from south-German hops. Definitely and interesting alternative, but possibly has too much of a poncy image associated with it (if you worry about such things!)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Their non-alcoholic is also quite palatable.

<_<
    >_>

...or so I'm told.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

I was in London this week and had the pleasure of tring a few pints of Tribute Ale. It's a cask conditioned Cornish beer with a lovely malty, slightly sweet taste and a wonderful aroma... pure beer Heaven... 4.2% abv.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Be careful with this

Kender
    Ingredients:
    1 2 lt bottle of cider (or equivalent amount). The better the cider the better
    1 ltr bottle of West Coast Cooler
    1 bottle of Buckfast

Method:
    Blend in a bucket or something similar!

Invented by me and a few mates in Enniscorthy in the early 90's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

hamsterboy wrote:
    Be careful with this

Kender
    Ingredients:
    1 ltr bottle of West Coast Cooler
    1 bottle of Buckfast

Method:
    Blend in a bucket or something similar!

Invented by me and a few mates in Enniscorthy in the early 90's.

What, no skittles? no cough medicine?

If you want a nomination to put in a bucket then you should really go with Sangria.
    In fact I'll nominate it now with a recipe to follow.

• Advertisement

Sangria.

a bucket
    2* bottles of red wine, quality is not important in fact it should not be a good wine.
    1/3 bottle of vodka
    1/3 bottle of brandy (not cognac buy cheap stuff)
    1-2 litres of orange juice
    2 litres of white lemonade or soda water, depends how sweet you like it.
    a few tins of cocktail fruits or peaches with syrup
    Some lemons and oranges segmented with the skin on.

Throw the whole lot in a bucket and let it sit overnight, it's great for barbecues and when you have lots of people over, it's essential to get a few bits of fruit in the serving vessel so a ladle is handy for serving.

Be careful with this stuff, it tastes like there's no alcohol in it, but it has a kick.

You can vary it from this basic recipe using anything along the lines of what is above, or more or less of any ingredients.
    This is my recipe and there are lots of variants, I dont claim that this is a genuine recipe but it's a passable substitute and really tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

hamsterboy wrote:

For something that's being thrown into a bucket with buckfast, I'm at a loss as to why you would use a good cider.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

noby wrote:
    For something that's being thrown into a bucket with buckfast, I'm at a loss as to why you would use a good cider.
    If you try it with a bad cider you'll find out why I suggested a better one. Althought the ingredients look rough (personally I hate Buckfast) this actually ends up a quite pleasent punch. I made heaps of it for a family gathering a while back and everybody loved it, grannies and all. Never told them what was in it tho :)

hamsterboy wrote:
    Never told them what was in it tho :)

Yes, quite, that would definitely be the best policy with that one alright.

<edit> it actually sounds like the contents of a gay tramps toilet bowl the day after a particularly hard session.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

hamsterboy wrote:
    The better the cider the better
    noby wrote:
    I'm at a loss as to why you would use a good cider.
    By "better" I think that our young afficionado means that it should contain the same amount of alcohol as a bottle of aftershave.

• Advertisement

I think the cider quality thing may be related to nasty after effects, but you've already given up any claim to decency by mixing buckfast with cider (or anything else for that matter) in the first place.......

To be honest, and apologies Blub, I'm sure your sangria is a fine drink, but when any cocktail starts with the instruction "Take one bucket..." I'm a little sceptical.

noby wrote:
    To be honest, and apologies Blub, I'm sure your sangria is a fine drink, but when any cocktail starts with the instruction "Take one bucket..." I'm a little sceptical.

I get you completely, I felt the same but I thought the least I could do would be to populate the "drinks in buckets" space in peoples heads with something half sensible.
    I think the bucket for the bucket drink could come in handy twice during the whole affair.

<edit> I also successfully employed my recipe (with bucket) at a week-long festival in the UK this month, thanks to an empty flower bucket from Asda and it went down a bomb in field tests :D

Anyway, back to reccomendations.
    I'm sure I've mentioned before how my local (small) spar holds a regular stock of Shepherd Neame (Bishop's Finger, Spitfire) in amongst the usual stuff.

Well imagine my surprise when I went in two weeks ago to find two new additions: Whitstable bay organic ale, and 1698 bottle conditioned Strong Ale.

sheps1698bca.jpg
    (Photo taken from www.bottledbeer.co.uk)

It's the finest Ale I've had in a long time, obviously helped by the fact that it's readily available on my doorstep. I would encourage anyone to go try it.
    Because it is BC, there is a lot more going on in this beer, flavour-wise, but everything is nice and subtle. The higher alcohol content is very warming too. Maybe I should stock up for the autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭randomname2005

My nomination for drink of the week is Innis and Gunn oak aged Edinburgh Ale. Although not available in every off license there have been a few locations listed in this forum.

My vote is for a new addition to the Aresti range of chileian red wines - Aresti Carménère. I got it in a Centra over the weekend. Supervalu also hold the Aresti range.

At 6.99 it was an absolute bargain. Full bodied, good legs, redolent of blackberries & chocolate.

You could drink it by the pint.

So far this week
    Innis & Gunn 1 vote
    Aresti Carmenere (meh not doing accents) 1 vote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 The Gentleman

Does anyone reading this thread drink Glenlivet or Glenmorangie?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭fourmations

do you not mean glenfidditch?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

do you not mean glenfidditch?
    No, glenlivet is the single malt.

I have tasted it, but my preference in whiskey/whisky is Johnny Walker Black Label. I often find that single scotch malts have an unbalanced taste and you need to blend them to have an all-encompassing aroma.

This of course does not disrespect the truly excellent single malts.

The problem with single malts is also that unlike in ireland, where many barrels are "married" to ensure an even flavour, single malts come straight out of one barrel and thus can have variations in flavour bottle by bottle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

my nomination isnt as fancy as the rest of your nominations but i knows what i likes and i likes what i nominate!!

Fosters new(ish) beer....fosters twist.

its brewed with citrus hops to give it a bitter kick and i have to say its so easy to drink and the after taste is lovely.

so, yes...go and try some, delicious in my opinion!

(oh and im not a big fosters original drinker)

This week I be mostly drinkin'... Weston's Organic Cider.

Beautifully smooth for a strong cider & a perfect accompaniment to winter stews & game.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Hill Billy wrote:
    This week I be mostly drinkin'... Weston's Organic Cider.

Beautifully smooth for a strong cider & a perfect accompaniment to winter stews & game.

I got some of this in Tesco's a while back. Just picked it up cos it looked interesting. Absolutely gorgeous. Quite dry I seem to remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

My vote is pimms number 3. its amazingly tasty you add apple juice boil till hot then drink and it is so tasty

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

feylya wrote:
    I got some of this in Tesco's a while back. Just picked it up cos it looked interesting. Absolutely gorgeous. Quite dry I seem to remember.

I think they a sweet cider which not fermented out like the strong one

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Don't know if it's been mentioned but Chimay Red is a superb beer, nice and fruity, can't recommend it enough really. Needs to be served at around 9 degrees though, straight from the fridge is a little too cold.

chimay_red.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Sparks400 wrote:
    Don't know if it's been mentioned but Chimay Red is a superb beer, nice and fruity, can't recommend it enough really. Needs to be served at around 9 degrees though, straight from the fridge is a little too cold.

chimay_red.jpg

Had to explain that in a couple of places, apparently no one looks at how the brewer recommends storing their beer. Also Chimay blue can be laid down for a number of year, apparently it will develop a port like quality!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Beamish maybe for drink of the week? :)

They've won a Gold Medal at the Monde Selection awards in Barcelona!
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/business/mhkfgbauojql/

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

gurramok wrote:
    Beamish maybe for drink of the week? :)

They've won a Gold Medal at the Monde Selection awards in Barcelona!
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/business/mhkfgbauojql/

I like beamish, and I always thought if it costed MORE than guinness more people might try it, it has a weird stigma attached to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭kifi

rubadub wrote: »
    I like beamish, and I always thought if it costed MORE than guinness more people might try it, it has a weird stigma attached to it.

That's a good pint. No apologies

Advertisement