Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sin City 2: A Dame to Kill For

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

krudler wrote: »
    The continuity was a load of balls, I honestly don't know what they were thinking. Sure
    The killed Manute, he's in Dwight's story again from the first movie, unless they didnt actually kill him but you never see for certain

I imagine
    he survived. Dwight makes quite a big deal about his strength and stamina at various points.
    Still daft of course but I don't think realism was the main focus.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

The continuity was a load of balls, I honestly don't know what they were thinking. Sure
    The killed Manute, he's in Dwight's story again from the first movie, unless they didnt actually kill him but you never see for certain
    Manute says "Six shots and not one headshot" or something like that when Dwight shoots him, I thought that implied that he can only be killed by a headshot. Must be a zombie.

Have to say, I was very disappointed by the film. I thought the Joseph Gordon Levitt story had a lot of promise that ultimately went nowhere. It was as if Miller came up with the concept (which I liked) and then half arsed actually writing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I thought it was an ok movie, but rather confusing. Dwight's story takes place sometime before the events of the first Sin City. But Johnny and Nancy's stories take place 4 years after Sin City, but the format of the movie is all jumbled up. Unless i'm missing something there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Something I didn't get
    is Marv not dead? Cos if he is, how was he in Nancy's story?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

cloud493 wrote: »
    Something I didn't get
    is Marv not dead? Cos if he is, how was he in Nancy's story?

Like Krudler said, continuity's barely even there. According to Wikipedia, A Dame to Kill for takes place just before his arc in the original.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

It was really confusing so it was. Like
    If Johnny's story is 4 years, then again, Marv is still alive. And was Dwights story before or after the events of the original?

I stand by my opinion though, its a good movie.

It was really confusing so it was. Like
    If Johnny's story is 4 years, then again, Marv is still alive. And was Dwights story before or after the events of the original?

I stand by my opinion though, its a good movie.

I agree, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm a big fan of Eva Green's as well. It would have been nice if they'd edited it better to make the continuity less confusing.

H. H. Asquith

I actually liked Nancy's story the best. But I think I liked all the stories which had Marv playing a prominent role. Johnny's story was the one I enjoyed least.

I actually liked Nancy's story the best. But I think I liked all the stories which had Marv playing a prominent role. Johnny's story was the one I enjoyed least.

I wasn't too pushed about either. Boothe's Roark was a joy to watch
    and to see him ended by a tacked on Nancy-arc was pathetic IMO.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

I actually thought Johnny story thread was the best out of all of them. Love the back and forwards with Joseph Gordon Levitt and especially Power Boothe Senator, love that
    Johnny is his bastard son, making the ending when the Senator kills him even more shocking
    . Plus Levitt is a great screen presence. I wasn't totally won over with Nancy's story, I'm bored with Alba been a stripper that doesn't take her top off :pac:, Although she improves with her performance in this one I still don't think she's much of a actress.

The Ava/Dwight story, I felt was far too overlong and drawn out. Green played it rightly slightly OTT and is one of the reasons to see this film. I prefer Clive Owen as Dwight although Brolin is fine as Dwight. The whole Mort and Bob cop thing could have been cut from the film without it harming the Dwight/Ava plot. I love seen Green naked but it's a little OTT to be fair.

For me the stars of this movie is Mickey Rourke as Marv, anytime he's on screen the film works. Powers Boothe is a awesome bad guy, you actually hate the Senator. Juno Temple and Ray Liotta are wasted in small roles though. The Film isn't a patch on the first film, Bruce Willis although in a cameo is sorely missed as is Benico Del Toro and Clive Owen.

6/10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

I liked this, its flashy, its grim and it knows what it is - a good looking eyefest of action. The film doesnt drag, it has some really hot chicks in Green (who seems to get her kit off in everything these days which is also great) and Alba and has a great bad guy in Rourke. Im just not a fan of Gordon Hewitt but aside from him all the characters are good fun. Obviously it suffers from the originality of the first one but what it does it does well. Thumbs up

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

More than anything else what jumped out at me with this is how much worse Miller's writing has gotten. Bearing in mind that the majority of Sin City was written in the 90s (and already has its own share of issues re:representation of women), the new material in ADtKF struck me as completely artless and clumsy compared to the original (and it's not like Sin City was ever a paragon of subtlety). The chronological shifts didn't throw me too much as I've read the comics, but I heard a lot of confused muttering from other people in the same screening.

Given its performance so far I doubt we'll be seeing a third one, and frankly I think that's for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Did anyone else think the makeup on Marv was worse than the first film? it looked woeful in places.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭niallon

Did anyone else think the makeup on Marv was worse than the first film? it looked woeful in places.

Thought that too, looked at times as though the lower chin and jaw portion was way too large. Glad I'm not the only one!

Movie was OK, no wow factor to it after the first one and the two 300 movies. Not the worst way to spend an hour and a half though.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Jacks Smirking Revenge

Was finally gonna get around to seeing this today, no local cinemas are playing it.
    I knew it wasn't doing fantastically at the box office but still, taking it out after barely 3 weeks is a bit extreme...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭niallon

Was finally gonna get around to seeing this today, no local cinemas are playing it.
    I knew it wasn't doing fantastically at the box office but still, taking it out after barely 3 weeks is a bit extreme...

It was listed as Last Chance To See when I went to see it on Thursday in Odeon Naas, smaller cinemas need to make room for new flicks I guess

And the blu ray is out. Neat double pack in HMV for 20 quid isn't a bad deal.

Advertisement