Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRL: 1X14 - "Special" [**SPOILERS WITHIN**]

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Beebox

Good
    I thought this episode was really good, much better than the last few weeks. Did anyone else notice that Locke was visibly frightened before they found Claire. He'd seen the 'monster' before, hadn't he?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

I agree with a lot of what soma said about Vincent, but there's a couple of things I'd like to add.

Before the whole scene with the polar bear, both Walt and Vincent hear a noise in the jungle. There's already something else there when Vincent runs off. Then, as soma points out, the first polar bear was shot dead. This really leads me to believe that Vincent does not turn into a polar bear.

There's no doubting the co-incidence between Walt looking at the polar bear in the comic, and then later one appearing in both the early episode, and "special". However, there is one thing opposing the theory that Walt creates them with his mind. In "Solitary", when the big roar goes up and Danielle grabs her gun, Sayid asks "What was that?", and Danielle replies "If we're lucky, its one of the bears". This seems to imply that Danielle has a lot of previous experience with the bears on the island, and hence they couldn't have been created by Walt. Perhaps he drew them near with his imagination (like the bird in Australia), but I don't think he created it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

Average
    I really like Locke & Boone. I think its brilliant to watch Boones Transition, in last weeks ep you saw the old him, he had no backbone and he was living off his parents money. He was managing director or somthing like that of his mothers wedding company? Well it seems Locke has given him perspective and also made him into a useful charictor. I can see alot more coming from him, I think he will mature/develop into one of the main roles.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Stimpyone

Average
    FYI....RTE are showing the next 2 episodes back to back next week starting at 9pm.

Did anybody manage to get a translation to Walts comic booK? esp. the few spoken lines?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Average
    Stimpyone wrote:
    FYI....RTE are showing the next 2 episodes back to back next week starting at 9pm.
    Cheers for that info! Can confirm this as it's on the listings on TheCustard.TV.

Homecoming and Outlaws are on Monday. Outlaws being significantly weaker than Homecoming, in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭nachos

i think the whole segment with polar bear was just a variation of what Locke, Boone and Jack have all gone through, but this time for Michael and Walt. They've both found what they want i.e. Michael wants to have a closer relationship with Walt and Walt wants to have a parent/guardian he can trust.

Got this in an email from RTE when i was enquiring about repeats:

Week 33 (Mon. 15th Aug.) episode 14 is a Special and
    will not be repeated. Time: 22.00.
    Week 34 (Mon. 22nd Aug.); 2 episodes (15 and 16)
    Time: 21.00 and 22.00. These will both be repeated on
    the Friday at 23.55 and 24.45.
    Week 35 (Mon. 29 Aug.); 2 episodes (17 and 18)
    Times:21.00 and 22.00;
    Friday (2nd Sept.); repeat of episode 17 only; Time:

Lots of double episodes coming up, me likey!

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭horseflesh

Stimpyone wrote:

jaysus, I don't believe it, I'm in work next Monday until 9.30; ten o'clock is the perfect start time for me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Average
    Stimpyone wrote:
    Did anybody manage to get a translation to Walts comic booK? esp. the few spoken lines?
    It's a comic book featuring the Flash and the Green Lantern if I remember correctly. If you do a search you'll find out all about it. The story was about an evil alien called Alien X who was experimented on for years and now wants revenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭soma

Poor
    horseflesh wrote:
    jaysus, I don't believe it, I'm in work next Monday until 9.30; ten o'clock is the perfect start time for me!!

gah! me too - get home from training @9.30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sky2150ie

i was reading in tv mag but this might be a spoiler next week on rte2 claire says that some monster took her baby but at the end of lasts nights claire still looked pregent was she cos i looked at the end of last nights 3 times but still cant make out if she is or not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Stimpyone

Average
    It's a comic book featuring the Flash and the Green Lantern if I remember correctly. If you do a search you'll find out all about it. The story was about an evil alien called Alien X who was experimented on for years and now wants revenge.

Found a synopsis here

http://ctvbb.insinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67

the comic walt was reading is:
    Green Lantern/Flash: Faster Friends Part I - About fifty years ago an alien spacecraft fell to Earth and in the interests of "national security" the Flash (Jay Garrick) and the Green Lantern (Alan Scott) were called in to eliminate the threat. In they're absolute trust of the government (yes there was a time when people trusted the government, hard to believe isn't it?), they never thought that the alien might be peaceful, and attacked unquestioningly. Having defeated it, Flash and GL were pushed to the background, not even thanked. Realizing the mistake they had made, they hid the space ship in a place where no one would find it. Fifty years later, the alien escapes from the government lab that held it prisoner for so long, and he's dusted. Not only was he locked up for fifty years, but the tests run on him gave him an incurable cancerous disease. The first thing he does is kill the man in charge of his incarceration, then finds Jay and Alan in order to retrieve the ship. When the two disappear, their wives contact the most recent Flash and Green Lantern and tell them the story. The boys aren't happy to be working together, but concede that it's necessary to save Jay and Alan. Using his ring, Kyle is able to pinpoint Alan's signature and find the buried space ship. The alien apparently has some pretty powerful psionic abilities and forces Alan and Jay to protect him while he sends out a signal and sets the ship for self-destruct. Kyle and Wally manage to save Jay and Alan, but don't stop the ship from exploding. The boys seem to have saved the day, but the alien's final words hang heavy in their minds, something about it being "too late for all of us."
    Cover: http://www.fortunecity.com/tattooine/obiwan/92/glf1.gif
    Pages: http://www.livejournal.com/communit...624.html#cutid1

Interesting stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

Good
    Beebox wrote:
    Did anyone else notice that Locke was visibly frightened before they found Claire. He'd seen the 'monster' before, hadn't he?
    Maybe he thought it was another polar bear?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭da_deadman

Average
    Ah crap, I wont be here next week and now I find out RTE are showing 2 episodes... :( And I was looking forward to next weeks episode already...

The good thing with Boone is that it's so easy to dislike him and he often gets a few thumps (usually in the head)... so far Sawyer, Boone, Shannons boyfriend and now Michael have all belted him one.
    But at least he is not Shannon's lap dog after last weeks epiphany.

Last nights episode was very good because there are so many questions that it has raised concerning Walt being different, is Claire pregnant and what happened her, what/where is the black rock and what is its' significance, how did Locke recognise Walts' specialness, and last but not least Why does Locke put up Boone?

In the future will we see another backstory for Locke? I really enjoyed his story but he is just such an interesting and intriguing character. I'd like to see another story about him...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sky2150ie

i found out what the magazine says but the translater, translated it weird unless i took it down of the tv wrong but on the front of the magazine it says "linterna verda flash the quick friends but divides one" i no its weird buts its wat the translater said and then the second part of the mag where the alien is lying in bed it says on that page "oh! no the monkey this is it favourite and is going to give of shouts" and then just after that it says "of minsuna mahera sere to the one that him of the news" if anyone can read it better of the tv and you can get it translated on google for free please tell me wat it says for you

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Average
    da_deadman wrote:
    In the future will we see another backstory for Locke? I really enjoyed his story but he is just such an interesting and intriguing character. I'd like to see another story about him...
    Deux Ex Machina is planned to air September 5th - excellent Locke episode!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 791 ✭✭✭fightin irish

Good
    dam, dam and dam. I couldnt resist, i had to go googling after last nights episode...so many questions and i found alot of answers. If you havnt done this...dont do it at all. Im really pissed at myself but couldn't resist :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

sky2150ie wrote:
    i found out what the magazine says but the translater, translated it weird unless i took it down of the tv wrong but on the front of the magazine it says "linterna verda flash the quick friends but divides one"

Not sure about the other bits - I have the English version of that comic at home, but I'll have to check which panels match that dialogue.

The bit above though is certainly just the title, "Green Lantern/The Flash - "Faster Friends, Part I".

As for the content of those panels, I think the wider connection to the show (beyond the polar bear showing up in *both* episodes where Walt was reading the comic) is in the theme of the comic's story. (In part, how we treat each other and reacting badly to what we don't understand). See the synopsis posted by Stimpyone below. The comic itself regularly shows up on eBay if you want a real copy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Poor
    OFDM wrote:
    polar bears = "the monster"?
    In episode 2 Kate said to Sawyer something along the lines of "that's not what we saw in the jungle" when he shot the polar bear... it's fairly much been discounted that the thing in the woods could have been the polar bear...

It's funny I didn't notice the bit when Walt "made the rain stop" in the first episode until I saw that bit after this episode... Seems most other people didn't notice it first time either :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

steveland? wrote:
    It's funny I didn't notice the bit when Walt "made the rain stop" in the first episode until I saw that bit after this episode... Seems most other people didn't notice it first time either :)

True. I think at that point we were all more inclined to think the 'island' was responsible for any unusual things that were going on. First instinct I got that something about Walt wasn't right was when he was playing backgammon with Hurley and kept rolling the numbers he wanted on the dice. But had never suspected him before that.

Also, in ep 11, Locke is in the jungle with Boone and predicts when the rain will start, and it does... He may share in Walt's abilities, or be more tuned into the island's schedule.

Advertisement