Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRL: 1X14 - "Special" [**SPOILERS WITHIN**]

Options
  • 15-08-2005 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭

-- WARNING: THIS THREAD WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS FOR THOSE WHO HAVE NOT YET SEEN "SPECIAL" --

Episode Title: "Special"
    Airdate: August 15th 2005

Synopsis (from TV.Com):

Violence ensues and a mysterious island beast makes a re-appearance when Michael and Locke clash over Walt's upbringing. Meanwhile, Charlie is tempted to read the missing Claire's diary, and Sayid enlists Shannon to help decipher the French woman's map.

Next New Episode: 1X15 - "Homecoming" - 22nd August 2005

What did you think of "Special"? 46 votes

Excellent!
    0%
    Good
    32%
    scojonessharkmanPeacedubaimfightin irishOFDMpillsaregoooodHomesickAlienangry_foxzefer*dream09*BeeboxBinomatescorpychop^chop 15 votes
    Average
    52%
    ManachdigimanElmoda_deadmanZukustiousmonkeyfudgeyom 1SmurphyBasqpcheadjayokStimpyoneSherifuMatthewthebigjoejoemqzDadesbeanybtvnutzfearcruach 24 votes
    Poor
    15%
    somafjonFencesteveland?bravblahLochaber 7 votes
    Terrible!
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Average
    Can't say this is one of my favourite episodes of the season... quite good but nothing too "special"... pardon the pun! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Average
    Ye it was good not excellent. Horrible pun mate :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Good
    This episode is pretty good so far, except that polar bear looked really really fake.

Good
    Claire returns. woah!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Good
    Blimey.... that was pretty fecking good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Average
    Polar bear was a bit ming alright. Otherwise a good episode. Next week's is excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

qz wrote:
    Polar bear was a bit ming alright. Otherwise a good episode. Next week's is excellent.
    It was soooooo symbolic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

Good
    Dodgy cgi polar bear but:
    polar bears = "the monster"? If so, how do you explain the pilot being pulled from the cockpit and ending up in a tree or the tree moving in the jungle in the first episode.
    Is Walt some sort of X-Men style mutant?
    Did he unconciously make that bird hit the window?
    Has Michael come to accept that there's something "special" about Walt?
    Could the spanish comic with the polar bear have been a key to something on the island?
    Has Clare had the baby?
    Is Boone Locke's bitch?
    What will Clare remember if anything?

Looks like Michael might let Walt hang around with Locke now.
    Will they go in search of the black rock now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

was claire pregnant when she returned , could anyone see?

Good
    They made it very hard to see if she was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Average
    Good method to make sure you come back next week!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

it was too dark too see....

i personally thought this episode was great! great backstory, the car accident was real shocking and development on Michael's & Walts relationship.

its only really let down by a dodgy cgi polar bear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭scorpy

Good
    I don't know, first thing I thought when I saw her was 'hey now, she looks a bit skinny'. *then* I registered that she didn't look very pregnant.

Average
    OFDM wrote:
    Is Boone Locke's bitch?

I remember this episode a lot better now,and I remember this was the episode where I really came to hate Boone with a passion. You are right,he is just Locke's little bitch. I hate people like that,Blair to Bush if you will! I always never liked him,the only character in the whole show I don't like,and this just reaffirmed it for me! :D

AS for other stuff,it appears Walt is responsible for creating the polar bear with his mind,just like he did with the bird. If you notice,the book he was reading on birds,had a picture of the one that hit the window.I wonder did he cause his mother to die? That one is interesting.

Yes the CGI polar bear was pretty crap,but after a $5million pilot,Im guessing the budget for the rest of the season is a little lower.

Claire is back indeed...is she still pregnant?...I remember people capturing it,zooming in,clearing up the picture...lol...I won't give anything away.

Good
    It was kind of obvious that the reason she was taken was because she was pregnant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

Average
    tvnutz wrote:
    it appears Walt is responsible for creating the polar bear with his mind

how do you gathere that?

Average
    Its a guess. The episode implies he is special,or different. When he thought about the knife hitting the tree,it happened. Locke seems to know more than he lets on. When they are talking about the birds,the parents aren't listening to him and he gets angry. The bird that hits the window is the exact same bird that was in the book Walt was reading. The polar bear appeared in the pilot the same time Walt was reading the comic book,and again today he was reading the same comic book with the polar bear in it. coincidence? It would explain why a polar bear is on a tropical island.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭horseflesh

Can Walt turn Vincent into a Polar Bear??? :eek:

Who wants to bet that when Vincent reappears he'll be wounded?

Locke clearly recognises Walt's "powers".

I'm still going for some sort of time travel angle.........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

Good
    tvnutz wrote:
    Its a guess.
    That sounds like a very good guess. If he imagines things will happen then they will happen. Like when he kept winning at backgammon or throwing the knife.

Did Walt imagine the plane crashing? How much of the island could Walt be creating with his mind?

Perhaps "the monster" is a manifestation of Walt's fears of the jungle - that would explain why the French woman didn't seem to know what Sayid was talking about when he mentioned the monster.

Is the island enhancing Walt's mysterious mind powers in some way?

And will Clare's baby end up being Walt's nemesis if it's not brought up by her?

On another note, several of the US viewers mentioned at the start of the series that things wouldn't take off until about episode 4 - for me the series didn't really take off until the last 2 or 3 episodes - I finally understand what they meant 15 weeks ago by all the intricate theories that can be developed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Good
    I dunno if Walt is simply creating the things (birds, bears etc). I mean after all he couldn't have created the first polar bear could he?

Also, what the hell was the deal with the magazine in spanish... did anyone get screenies of the mag or a translation? I think that magazine will come back later in the series. Also i didn't like the way there was some sort of alien in the magazine... if this all turns out to be some kind of alien abduction i'll be way pissed off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Red Soup

Average
    yeah and in that card his father had made for his second birthday there was a penguin with sunglasses. let's hope Walt gets angry and starts imagining penguins with sunglasses....

I reckon the island has taken Claire's kid,
    and that Locke is going to disappear soon with his conscripts (Boone, Walt)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

I haven't seen any of the Lost series 1 except this episode which I randomly flicked onto. I hadn't a clue what was going on, but I'd like to!
    Does anyone know of a website that would give a synopsis of the story (13 episodes?) up until this one? Or if any enthusiastic boardsie would like to pm me the story to date I've be very grateful. And I mean very... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

http://abc.go.com/primetime/lost/

Has ALL the episodes synopsis, be wary not to pass 1x14.

Also Lost is now on Channel 4, if you manage to miss the promos and the 'Revealed' type shows you'll hopefully enjoy the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Average
    Really enjoyed this episode and I loved the fact that it ended with so many questions to be answered especially the cliffhanger of Claires return.

I thought the backstory was good and was glad to find out that Walt wasn't abandoned by Michael(cos i wasn't sure if i liked him or not) but actually taken by his mother. Michael getting knocked down was really unexpected and really well done. It was a pitty that the Polar Bear was so badly done but for me it is the only thing in this series so far that they have got wrong.

Boone really is Locke's bitch, but what i want to know is why can Locke play them all like puppets, he seems to have something over everyone.

Claire looked skinny which would suggest she isn't pregnant anymore so where/what happened to the baby? What happened to her? Will Ethan be forgotton about or will they go looking for him? :confused:

Average
    Am suprised at the number of people who enjoyed this episode... and i'm loving how people are getting into the show now.. plenty of questions being asked in here at the end of each episode.

All will be revealed next week regarding Claire in a fantastic episode next week.

Regarding "Special", i never really liked this episode too much. While it was good, i think it was just because i never really connected with the characters of Walt and Michael. Walt just seemed spoiled while Michael just seemed a bit too harsh on Walt. But this episode did change my opinion of them with the real story between Walt and Michael.

Can remember personally loving the scene where Michael gets hammered by the car.. gave me a real shock!

People seem to be adapting a very similar stance with regards to Boone. Hatred of the fecker. I think most of us in the Lost thread adapted the same position this time last Season. I personally could never see the real problem with him. Yes.. he is Locke's little bitch but he's pretty harmless and c'mon.. you can't feel sorry for him to stick up with Shannon.

Anyways.. excellent episode due next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭soma

Poor
    Walt reading book on birds, specific bird on page appears.
    Walt reading comic featuring polar bear, polar bear appears.

hmm.... hard to imagine there's zero connection there.

Oh and thanks to whoever it was who drew attention to 'did walt turn vincent into a polar bear?'. That gave me a 'wwwooaaaaah' moment! :D i.e. it looks like vincent is doing a bit of a 'clark kent' here... he's never around when the polar bear/monster is around! :D (altho bear in mind I missed eps 4,5,6). Wasnt he missing when the "huge" monster was tearing up the jungle and when the 1st polar bear attacked?

As for 'will vincent turn up injured', well the 1st polar bear got shot 'dead'.

Also, vincent is actually the second 'character' presented on-screen in the pilot, if I was the creator of Lost, I'd want to have something in the opening scene (i.e. jack waking up & seeing vincent) which had a really big significance further down the line (or maybe even in the 'reveal').

While it's bizarre that so many of them survived the crash with only minor scrapes, it is also very curious that an animal, who would have been locked in a cage in a seperate area on the plane, survived.

Man, I cant believe I wrote so much about a dog. *lol*

Finally, earlier in the ep (I changed my mind over the course of the ep) I thought maybe that the comic book was perhaps a kind of 'guide' to the island. i.e. it had a polar bear in it and curiously I do remember seeing a picture of what appeared to be (it was quite a quick scene and we all know how our minds like to fill in the blanks!) a dark top of a mountain (a black rock..?) with lightning in the background.

A key thing here is when did walt come into possession of the comic (remember i missed 3 eps). Did he find it in the wreckage (and subsequently created the polar bear(s) etc..) or was he reading it on the plane and, as someone suggested, then had a hand in 'shaping' the island.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I must admit that I rolled about in tears of laughter when Claire reappeared! What an original twist!

I'm in two minds about this show. On one hand, it's been great and really suspenseful, and then on the other hand, it's painfully drawn out and obvious. Having said all that, I'm still going to watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭beanyb

Average
    I think he found it in the pilot, I could be wrong though.

I thought this episode was good, but not amazing. Except for that damn cliffhanger with Claire that made me really want to know what was going to happen next - damn those cliffhangers!!

And I hate Boone too! He's just so irritating, but that said I thought he was fine until this week.

Average
    dudara wrote:
    I must admit that I rolled about in tears of laughter when Claire reappeared! What an original twist!
    Easily amused.. ain't ya?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭seabee

I think Claire is Sans-Sprog now :) the episode was good, the scene where Michael was knocked down was well done. The CGI bear looked crap, maybe it was just another illusion, like what happened to boon last week??

Advertisement