Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outer Ring Road to open within 3 weeks

Options
  • 10-08-2005 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭

Just to let everyone know.....

Today's (Wednesday) edition of the News & Star has an article on the back page about the Outer Ring Road. It has indicated that this road will open within 3 weeks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Good.
    The sooner its open the better IMO.
    Somehow I have doubts that it actually will open on time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Kick ass. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Road doesnt really look "near completion" in my mind. I honestly think that they should have been working on this 24 hours a day and got it finished before Summer started!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Good! I commute to/from Cherrymount to out the Cork road so its all I've ever wanted!

As for 24hr constuction that would have been very easy to do with practically no-one living near the route but hey that would cost more in the minds of those who award the contracts.

I've noticed how roads that appear to be nowhere near completion can be tidied up and finnish off very quickly.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭DéiseGirl

mike65 wrote:
    Good! I commute to/from Cherrymount to out the Cork road so its all I've ever wanted!

As for 24hr constuction that would have been very easy to do with practically no-one living near the route but hey that would cost more in the minds of those who award the contracts.

I've noticed how roads that appear to be nowhere near completion can be tidied up and finnish off very quickly.

Mike.

Very true.

The opposite is also true of course, especially in Tramore :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭helibelly

any ideas when they might put a bridge on one end so 90% of the traffic could go around Waterford rather than through it! :mad:

:D Set your clocks for about 2010! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Overture

so anymore on when this road is due to Open ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭Bards

I believe the City Council are now saying end of September... They are awaiting another contractor to install the footpaths and lighting. Why they just couldn't let coffeey construction do the whole job is beyond me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I've been told the dead line for the finish is 15 Sept '05

sssshhh I'm in the know

The extra footpaths, cycleway & road lighting were an after thought... So the job had to to tender...

• Advertisement

I go "through" the ring road at Six Cross Roads most days on the way home and had noticed nothing much was happening except the installation of road signs including speed limits which is set at a pathetic 60 KPH. 37 MPH!

Mike.

The first 3KM is being lined as we speak

Edit: Just 'cause you can't see stuff happening doesn't mean it's not happening

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Overture

Hey Trish - you do seem to be in the know - so the 15th of September and i can kiss goodbye to the Nightmare that is the Folly every evening ? U sure about that ?

mike65 wrote:
    I go "through" the ring road at Six Cross Roads most days on the way home and had noticed nothing much was happening except the installation of road signs including speed limits which is set at a pathetic 60 KPH. 37 MPH!

Mike.

Pretty pathetic all right, although if you can go to and from work at 37mph, it'll at least be an improvement...

Are there proper exits? Or are there just a serious of roundabouts at the major roads? (I know, me and my high ideas...)

Single carriageway or dual?

Dual Carriageway, and as far as I am aware just standard roundabout's

overture: I'm pretty sure... Thats the lastest deadline I've been told anyhow

Does anybody think it bizzare that this road is going to have a speed limit of 60Km/h when the old Tramore,Airport and other roads linking it are set to 80Km/h. Especially considering that this is going to be a much safer road.

Only in Ireland!!!

Bards wrote:
    Does anybody think it bizzare that this road is going to have a speed limit of 60Km/h when the old Tramore,Airport and other roads linking it are set to 80Km/h. Especially considering that this is going to be a much safer road.

Only in Ireland!!!

Well considering there'll be a roundabout every 200 yards, you wouldn't be able to build up much speed anyway!

well not quiet as close as every 200 yards.. more likely equivalent to the distances of the kilkenny ring road, and that has a speed limit of 100 KM/h and the roads off it are set to 50KM/h

You can bet your bottom dollar that the cops will be taking up residence for a few weeks after opening picking off the unwary.

Mike.

• Advertisement

I've driven that road quite a bit and you can get a fairly decent speed up between each roundabout

I wonder have the "powers that be" given any thought to the level of traffic which will get caught up at the traffic lights outside Heitons and at the Browns road junction? A lot of cars going to the Cork road will be turning right, back to the industial estate. I see looooooooooong tailbacks.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Dac51

mike65 wrote:
    I wonder have the "powers that be" given any thought to the level of traffic which will get caught up at the traffic lights outside Heitons and at the Browns road junction? A lot of cars going to the Cork road will be turning right, back to the industial estate. I see looooooooooong tailbacks.

Mike.

Yep, I was just thinking of that when driving past Hasbro today. I can see long tailbacks at the Industrial Estate exit opposite Sheridans, the Industrial Estate exit at Brownes Road (I think the Cork Rd traffic lights need to be adjusted for this) and the Ballybeg / Heatons junction where traffic will turn right off the Cork Road and up the hill to the Butlerstown Roundabout.

I hope the City Council have thought of this and are preparing to adjust the relevant traffic lights before the new road opens or else it is going to be a traffic nightmare every morning and evening.

I heard (pure rumour) a section of that road was going to be closed & only used for business & local traffic for a few months to get people to use the ORR

From today's (Thursday's) Irish Examiner
    ===============================
    TWO neighbouring local authorities are kilometres apart on the speed limit they are imposing on a busy stretch of roadway leading to one of Waterford’s top seaside resorts.

Next week members of Waterford City Council will be asked to approve an extension of the 60km speed limit two kilometres further out the main road to Tramore, which currently has a 80kmph limit.

The county council is pushing ahead with plans to introduce by-laws increasing the speed limit on its section of the same road from 80kmph to 100kmph.

A revision of the speed limit is taking place within the city boundary to coincide with the opening of the Outer Ring Road, scheduled to take place on September 30. The limit on the 6.8km of dual carriageway will be 60kmph.

For safety reasons, it has been decided to slow traffic down as it approaches from 80kmph level to 60km. That limit will continue to the vicinity of Superquinn when it will reduce further to 50km per hour.

Tramore Town Councillor, Ben Gavin, said the local authorities should have sat down together to work out a compromise on the road.

He said he was not surprised by what happened.

=======================================================
    I wonder, when Martin Cullen performs the opening cermony, what are the chances he'll announce the contract fot the City Bypass?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Any close bets on when the opening ceremony will be? 15th Sept. seems to be the consensus so far.

Bards wrote:
    From today's (Thursday's) Irish Examiner
    ===============================
    TWO neighbouring local authorities are kilometres apart on the speed limit they are imposing on a busy stretch of roadway leading to one of Waterford’s top seaside resorts.

Next week members of Waterford City Council will be asked to approve an extension of the 60km speed limit two kilometres further out the main road to Tramore, which currently has a 80kmph limit.

The county council is pushing ahead with plans to introduce by-laws increasing the speed limit on its section of the same road from 80kmph to 100kmph.

A revision of the speed limit is taking place within the city boundary to coincide with the opening of the Outer Ring Road, scheduled to take place on September 30. The limit on the 6.8km of dual carriageway will be 60kmph.

For safety reasons, it has been decided to slow traffic down as it approaches from 80kmph level to 60km. That limit will continue to the vicinity of Superquinn when it will reduce further to 50km per hour.

Tramore Town Councillor, Ben Gavin, said the local authorities should have sat down together to work out a compromise on the road.

He said he was not surprised by what happened.

=======================================================
    I wonder, when Martin Cullen performs the opening cermony, what are the chances he'll announce the contract fot the City Bypass?

Brilliant! The Tramore road should be 100 from the ring road and 80 within. The ring road should be 80.

As for the Heitons/Ballybeg junction lights, my partial solution would be to turn the junction into a oneway system. Traffic would only be allowed to turn into Ballybeg Drive from the east (no right turn from west) and NO traffic would be allowed to leave Ballybeg Drive and would have to join the ring road near the 6 Cross Roads roundabout instead.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Dac51

As for the Heitons/Ballybeg junction lights, my partial solution would be to turn the junction into a oneway system. Traffic would only be allowed to turn into Ballybeg Drive from the east (no right turn from west) and NO traffic would be allowed to leave Ballybeg Drive and would have to join the ring road near the 6 Cross Roads roundabout instead.

Mike.[/QUOTE]

I actually come from this area and this wouldn't be acceptable. There is a new housing development being built 150 yards from this junction combined with traffic coming from / going to Ballybeg. Preventing traffic from exiting this junction would cause uproar and rightly so, as having to detour on to the ring road would be as they say a bit irish.

Dac.

Any news? They still hav'nt put lines down on the section from Six Cross roads to Cork road.

Mike.

• Advertisement

September 30th is the offical opening according to Waterford City Council

Advertisement