Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do motorcyclists survive (or not)?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,081 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The point is that at 150mph you need to be anticipating at least quarter of a mile (if not further) ahead of you, as soon as you notice a problem you are on top if it, and if you have someone move out in front of you with out looking in the mirror, you're in trouble.
    A quarter mile isn't much - you'd need more like half a mile of perfect visibility or more, at that speed you're covering a mile every 24 seconds :eek:
    I did say that having a big speed differential to traffic you're passing isn't a good idea.

Murphaph, sorry to hear what happened to you, annoying that there are so many idiots on the road. I wouldn't blame Africans or any other nationality for bad driving though. They just copy what they see the rest of us doing, and take advantage of a system that requires no training, testing or supervision before hitting the road. Madness.

Did you get any lessons for the bike yourself? Check out www.irishridertraining.com ...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

I was in France for the last 2 weeks and the difference once I got off the boat was unreal. Sitting in the back of my car I was watching the bikes and noticed in France there were alot of bikers on big engined bikes using the road like a car and car drivers paid more attention to them, they hung back from the vehicle in front, they indicated properly for overtaking and on single lane roads they waited for a decent sized gap, one that a car would use. We got off the boat and the first thing that happened us was a guy on a 1100 bike - don't know what type, could have been a GSR or something like that - taking off our drivers side wing mirror and claimed we were at fault, the friendly truck driver who had to swerve to avoid the bike slamming head first into him came back and he changed his tune. My dad was already at the limit and the bike still went around us with a truck at 60 odd MPH (or 100 KPH) coming the other direction. That said you can tell who the year round bikers are when you see them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

ninja900 wrote:
    A quarter mile isn't much - you'd need more like half a mile of perfect visibility or more, at that speed you're covering a mile every 24 seconds :eek: ...

Your probably right, its not something I've ever done. The fastest I've been (and not in Irl) is about 140 in a Porsche and I wasn't driving. But I can tell you at that speed in a convertible you really have to hold on to the Map. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭The General

I have a moped/scooter for 3 years never had any lessons, its all about common sense really, i never even nearly got into a crash/accident i am very careful on my bike, there are a lot of stupid people out there

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

ninja900 wrote:
    Did you get any lessons for the bike yourself? Check out www.irishridertraining.com ...
    I've already organised something with an instructor. Cheers ninja900.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭kevmac

Seamus - it's the same in in the UK.

MCN survey last month had the average bikers age as late thirties.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

murphaph did you report it to the police or anything?!?! What if you were a kid crossing the road and she "didn't see you"...grrrr I had a near miss yesterday - I was on the 'major junction' which gives **ME** right of way and this muppet comes flying around the corner into my path started to speed up and veer to the right forcing me to get almost get squished between their car and an island!! I beeped thou and they decided to slow down so I wasn't kilt!! Sometimes it pisses me off and other times it doesn't...

tk123 wrote:
    murphaph did you report it to the police or anything?!?!
    Nothing would come of it so what's the point? :(

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

tk123 wrote:
    murphaph did you report it to the police or anything?
    Nope, complete waste of time. I've seen enough of An Garda Siochana's attitude to road traffic legislation and it's 'enforcement'. It amounts to speed checks on largely accident free roads and little else. I certainly wasn't going to wait for them to arrive at the scene (if they'd have turned up at all for an accident where there's noody being carted off to hospital).

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

murphaph wrote:
    I was sort of expecting it but not quite so soon.
    Best to get it out of the way early on and without injury :)
    Seamus - it's the same in in the UK.

MCN survey last month had the average bikers age as late thirties.
    Average age of bikers, or average age of killed bikers?

• Advertisement

seamus wrote:
    Average age of bikers, or average age of killed bikers?
    This is something that annoys me.

In a situation like this the average can hide as much as it reveals.

E.g. let's say that the average age of riders killed is 30, for the sake of argument. 1 guy who is 100 getting killed will increase the average appreciably. The same sort of thing would happen if one kid of 12 got killed on one of those bloody minimotos used illegally on the street (only a matter of time, have these parents got rocks in their heads?)

Averages can be meaningful when you have a large sample size and ideally little derivation from the mean. When you can have a lot of variation, especially with a small sample size then it's not really that meaningful. Most journalists don't understand statistics, but then it seems most of the public and most of the politicians don't either :( so they just use them to support whatever position they already hold.

A good example of the misuse of statistics is the question - why is there no Direct Access in Ireland? The real reason is that they can't organise holding the simple driving test we have now, never mind a more difficult one, and the unions run the show.

The answer that the Department of Transport will give you, if you ask, is that the fatality rates of young motorcyclists are too high. Now, they're perfectly right, the rates are much too high. But the statistics they use to justify this are for under-18s on 125cc bikes or smaller (and 99 times out of 100 they'll not have undergone any proper rider training.)

This has no relevance at all to Direct Access - under the EU directive this is for riders over 21, on bikes over 45hp, who have undergone a course of professional instruction.

Sorry for wittering on but it's this sort of cr@p that makes biking in Ireland such a joy :(

• Registered Users Posts: 78,285 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Take a look at Table 19 of ROAD COLLISION FACTS IRELAND 2003.

http://www.nra.ie/PublicationsResources/DownloadableDocumentation/RoadSafety/file,1405,en.PDF

The mean and average ages are about 30. It is your task to work it out for each year for the last 5 years.

http://www.nra.ie/PublicationsResources/ListofPublications/RoadSafety/

Victor wrote:
    The mean and average ages
    :confused: The arithmetic mean is the average.
    For a lot of things it would be more useful to quote the mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,285 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You know what I mean. :o:o:o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

I've been driving a moped for about 4 years now ive had 5 accidents. first one had me out of work for 2 months and not being able to walk properly for about 4 months (and i was lucky at that the point of impact on my bike of the bonnet of the car was about 12inches away from my leg which would have most definitely completely shattered it if not worse)

Still i got back on the bike and ive had another 4 accidents and all of them were not my fault (except the last one where i used the back break on gravel and went on my ear)

My point being that I feel I'm a relatively safe driver and if I wasnt I honestly dont think I'd be around today after 4 years of biking the situation is that bad in this country.

I now most people are saying the drivers are the main problem and they are a MASSIVE part of the problem but the roads in Ireland SERIOUSLY and BADLY needs to be addressed.

The amount of near misses I've had coming of my bike because of potholes and uneven roads (you know the ones that are about 2inches in height below the rest of the road that cause your front whell to nearlly go from under you)

Anyways, I'm selling my moped and buying a car at the end of the month (because I've had enough) so if anyone wants a Vespa ET2 50cc for €300 bang me a PM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

Young lad, 19, killed off a bike today round the corner from me. Be careful lads....

Advertisement