Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst / Best TV ads' ever

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

haha Sparky...those cheered me up no end.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

I'd say the best ad is the goldeneye nintendo 64 ad, the ad alone made me buy the console and game.

edit: no wait, the best ad is the john west ad where the fisherman kicked the bear in the unmentionables.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Lord Oz wrote:
    I'd say the best ad is the goldeneye nintendo 64 ad, the ad alone made me buy the console and game.

edit: no wait, the best ad is the john west ad where the fisherman kicked the bear in the unmentionables.

the is so many, damnit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭irishgeo

the john west salmon ad wins for it for me. There was a few different ones with different endings etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

The "Singing in the rain" remix VW advert, i could watch that all day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Those banned ones are hilarious! :D lol

As for worst ones ever,forget about looking abroad...they are homemade ones,those damn TV licence ads..."Avoid the embarrasment",stupid pieces of crap,ye im sure I will die of embarrasment if I didnt pay my damn licence,not only that,why can't ANYONE is those ads act??? Its shockingly scary if that is what is picked for a national ad campaign,and that goes for every single one of the ads,which are cheesy and just plain bad. They actualyl make me angry when I see them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Yeah I have to agree with that. The TV ads based on naming and shaming are so out of touch with reality. How on earth did they ever get greenlighted?

They might as well say 'you're letting the party down by not paying your licence' or 'big brother will make sure you become an unperson if you don't pay it.'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Sparky_S wrote:
    that vodafone ad with the dancing letter was funny at first but now the tune gets stuck in my head, so im fed up of it.

You liked it? God I hate that ad. Makes me cringe whenever it comes on. Can't imagine how a few marketing executives ever thought a juggling envelope would be a good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭da_deadman

those damn o2 ads during Lost on Rte 2 are so very bad....'Jack is recording Lost over your Knight Rider tape...I don't have a Knight Rider tape...Yeah right'... aargh :mad: shut the **** up!!!! I'm glad I'm not with o2 anymore

some ads are very clever though. I always liked the ad for olive oil ( or an olive oil spread) where there is a lot of old Italians men playing football and the old women are watching them. It was on a few years ago but it's back on at the moment.

Guinness often have good ads and sometimes have great ones...

but that 'big ad' for Carlton draught mentioned earlier is brilliant. I wish I could get that beer in my local.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Blisterman

It probebly tastes like crap.

Thats the power of advertising.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

The two ones on the Uncle Bens ads during Emmerdale, want them shot !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

Oh, there's a certain insurance ad on English channels that gets on my nerves. Doo't know the nmae, but it's got this couple in debt and the only sound is the narrator. Really depressing :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

That big ad link someone posted on the first page, brilliant!

Worst ads - as post before, the english insurance ones....argh so boring

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

What's the big fuss over the VW singing in the rain ad? I wouldn't be all that bothered by it, it's a crap song anyway.

There was actually a good Dell ad on about a year ago. Started by showing this big super computer with loads of flashing lights and so on. Then the camera pans back to reveal a guy playing solitaire on it. Tag line was 'Ever feel like you've bought too much'. Just thought it was funny.

As for the two nags on the Emerdale Uncle Bens ad, what the hell is that even about? Just makes no sense and is completely stupid. Doesn't make me want to buy Uncle Bens products anyway, think I'll stick to Amoy and Blue Dragon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Dizzyblabla

zoro wrote:
    http://www.bigad.com.au/

Watch it

And again

And again

I love it :D

I just did, again and again... that really is one cool ad! I even found myself singing along!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I even found myself singing along!!
    Did anyone else find themselves singing along in Latin though?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

Does anyone remember the original ad campaign for Playstation2? "Welcome to the third place!"

Really freaky as it was black and white with a fella walking through corridors of horror and he ends up in front of a couch with a duck headed person, and some other strange things! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭tonyj

whiskeyman wrote:
    Yellow Pages "'Fly Fishing' by JR Hartley" ad?
    Yellow Pages: "Who are you? Who's SHE? My parents are going to kill me" The French Polishers one

Yellow Pages: Where the son wants a new racing bike.... "I still think that saddle's like sitting on a razor" (In strong Northern England accent)

Of course, because it's 'Up North' everything in filmed in sepia tone... :rolleyes:

But yes, the JR Hartley ones. How could we forget them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Scary that I remember all those YellowPages ads perfectly esp the FlyFishingWith... ones! I wonder is old JR still kicking about?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

Any ad for nappies, toilet paper or toilet wipes (particularly "I can do it too with Kandoo!"). Eventually you realise they're saying "Smear our product with human faeces! It'll make you happy!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

The KFC ads where people speak in cheesy musical-type numbers make me want to go out and burn down every KFC outlet in the greater Dublin area.

They put me off KFC more than that chicken-stomping video released by PETA last year.

The advertising agency must have went out of their way to find the most bovine looking actors and cloven-hooved kids to play their spawn.

The mother in the latest advert (the "at least she's not cooking" not) has actually got a beer gut! What's that all about?

...and while I'm at it, the Irish ads for Spar.

They always show happy, loved up members of staff who look like they've slept the night before with a coat-hanger in there mouth and done about 20 E's.

We all know the reality is so, so different.

Some surly teen from a broken lower middle-class home and who's just been dumped will scan in your dozen or so over-priced items with indifference and stare at you blankly after she gives you your change while you stare back and transmit the message "give me a bag biatch!" to her via the power of mental telepathy.

...and while I'm at it, the Vauxhall ads with the annoying little Northern English kids pretending to be grown up.

Someone didn't go to the toilet?..........someone didn't use contraception more like.

Advertisement