Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harrassing Ex-Girlfriend

Options
  • 03-08-2005 11:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Firstly, any advice appreciated. I have no idea how to handle this, so anyone in the same situation or that has experience with it, I'd be greatful for any advice.

Basically, I have an ex who won't stop hassling me. She keeps texting me saying she wants the money back she spent on me, etc etc, and that if she doesn't get it, both me and my current girlfriend will end up in hospital etc. Yes, it's extremely childish I know, but the only thing that worries me is she does know alot of knackers and wannabes, who have threatened me in the past.

About the money itself, it was a normal relationship in which we bought each other things, the usual, it was a nice relationship really, both of us had fun, got on really great, thought it'd really be a long term thing.

But nothings perfect obviously so we split up eventually, had lots of rows etc, as can happen. So since then, shes been harassing me with this crap, it died down for a few longs months but I'm after hearing it from her again the last few days. It's not so much myself I'm as worried about as it is my girlfriend, she's threatening to "get her", and although my current girlfriend would definately make meat of her, as I said before she knows alot of undesirables.

She consistantly calls me a child molester, just because my girlfriend is ONE year younger then me, even though when we went out, she was a year older then me. It again, childish, but she's tell everyone she knows that I went out with this girl when she was 14, etc, and other absolute lies.

So basically, in short, I have an abusive ex demanding money back, and threatening to hurt us both, who knows alot of bad, bad people who would more then likely oblige her. How do I approach this? Is going to the guards an option? It's really getting to me....no idea what to do.

The fact that she lives right down the right helps none.

Thanks for any replies...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

i'd have no problem going to the cops tbh.
    Anyone who threatens to put someone I care about in hospital, i wouldnt think twice bout going to the cops. How old is she? She just sounds very bitter. I had a girl accuse me of attacking her, but i went to the cops straight away, and when I told her? i never heard form her again.
    If you decide to goto the police, Keep the txts and show 'em.

D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

The gardai!! only way to go

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Well this one sounds like a battleaxe. What I would do in your situation is call the mad one and try and have a civil conversation about it. Just to end it civil then she wont text you so much. I wouldnt worry about the welfare of you or your girlfriend , it looks like Medea is just trying to be well hard and I doubt she would get her mates after you.

You could try and change your number. If that dosnt work it could be that Gardai.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

- ask her to give back the money you spent on her. Perhaps that will cancel out her moaning.
    - tell her to quit it and move on.
    - last resort: keep some of her texts, phone messages, emails... tell her that you will take them to the cops if she dosen't stop harrassing you.

What sort of age group are we talking about here? If its less than 20 then she'll probably grow out of it... anything over and I think you've got a physco on your hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

Have been in the same situation myself dude, maybe not with the whole threatening my current GF though.

Personally i suggest completely ignoring her, change mobile number, blank her when you see her etc.

All you need to do is wait it out till she gets a new fella herself and itll probably stop then. Its going to be uncomfortable and awkward until then though.

As for the threats - call her bluff that she will do anything but keep a log of any texts/calls/ threats that she makes and that way *if* something should happen you can take the matter to the gardai with proof.

Best of luck man, and i hope this blows over soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Shes 19. And she also does things like tell people I went out with this girl when she was 14, and other similar, absolute lies. Basically peddling me as a child molester to everyone she knows, and worse.

I really don't want to have to take it to the Gardai, but if its the only way....I suppose I'll have to.

And she is a bit of a physco, tbh, maybe a bit too strong of a word but I always knew that when I was with her, she had a few issues, but I was good to her in general and things were kept under control the time we were together (about 1 year)

She has a new fella, but he's harmless, he did the typical "You better give back her money", but I think he's staying out of it, I don't think he's a bad sort.

I tried blanking her, she came over once and made a ****in huge scene in the middle of the street, in front of my girlfriend. I just walked away, but you should have heard the filth she shouted after me...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

she just sounds a little immature and bitter to me.
    Pity things have gone that way. But definitly tell her out straight that if she sends one more txt that your straight to the cop shop and letting them know that she's threatening your gf and harrassing you.

She needs to get a life.
    hope it works out for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

what ever you do dont tell\threaten her about going to the cops. If she's a psycho she might try to beat you too it and tell them all kinds of lies. If you find its got to the stage where reporting her to the cops is yer only option just do it and bring all emails, text messages etc with ye. Hopefully it wont come to that and she'll just grow out of it or get laid.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

What money do you owe her? You said it was just usual couple stuff.... so point that question back at her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

guards all the way, show them the texts etc, get it on record, if it keeps happening then get the guards to have a word.. She won't do anything if the guards are involved, she be completely stupid to as she'd be suspect No. 1.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

First off you need to change your number! Its VERY immature behavior. I’d say she’s still mad about you and cant get over you and seeing you with your new girlfriend is killing her cause she knows you’ve moved on. I don’t think going to the guards is a good idea just yet but I’d seriously think about changing your number! It only costs €10 for a new O2 sim plus you get €20 cred. Best of luck x x x x

If that doesn’t work then go to the guards.

x

BossArky wrote:
    What money do you owe her? You said it was just usual couple stuff.... so point that question back at her.

Believe me I've tried, but also believe me when I say we are not talking about a reasonable argument here, she see's her side, she lies about me to everyone, makes up things about me, and general paints a rather nasty picture of me to all of the undesirable friends she knows. Which, to be honest, is something I can't change...

I just got a message off her, saying "I will stab you, 275 times"

I know this sounds a bit immature and trollish, but I, for some reason, really don't want have take it to the guards, but I suppose thats stupid of me, I just don't even know how to approach it with the guards. Do I just go in, and say I want to report this person for abuse?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Next time she says "gimme back the money I spent on you", you say "well why don't you return the money I spent on YOU!"

Also, pay a friendly visit down to the cop shop and let them handle it :)

Problemo sorted!

EDIT:
    Just saw your post above mine (it wasn't there when I was writing my reply). That text alone is enough for the cops to come banging on her door!

Seriously, the guards are very good in this kinda situation. If you don't want to have to put up with this nonsense anymore, call down to them, then they can deal with it.

You shouldn't have to change your number just coz she's a sad ass loser who can't move on. So do yourself and your current girly a hoooj big favour and go down to the station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

As everyone else said, go to the guardai. It worked on me, 2 restraining orders and counting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

Do I just go in, and say I want to report this person for abuse?

No. "I want to report this person for harassment" is what you say.

Its quick and easy. You walk in, show em the texts and give them her number. It will stop hey presto. Trust me.

K-

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Definitely show the texts to the guards.
    Dont get them involved, but get it put on record, that way you can tell her that the guards know all about it, and if anything happens to you/your gf, she'll land in sh!t.
    Also, if she's prone to telling lies, she may go down the path of going to the guards with phony stories to get you in trouble.
    As long as it's put on record, she cant do anything without the guards on her back.

As regards the money, agree to pay her, as long as she repays you. Should shut her up.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

me
    I'd go to the cops, show them the texts and ask for a barring order.
    I would also throw all the stuff in a box, give it to the cops and tell her to collect the stuff from there. If she wants to try and get her money back herself, let her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Report her. I don’t think it’ll ever degenerate to violence, but the accusations of underage molestation may snowball into her pressing charges as a means to get back at you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

MobileInfantry - seriously man, you're a fool if you don't go to the guards. This woman is a psycho!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Go to the cops man. Even if nothing comes on it, it will be down in the cops notebook that you lodged the complaint. If anything happens to either of you in the long run, then you have the complaint you made previously to back you up.

Be aware though, she could make stuff up about you to the cops. She could claim that she gave you x amount of money, and it's just your word against hers. Keep all of the text messages she sends you, and log all of the calls she makes. If it comes down to it, they will see no threats by you to her, but threats by her to you. That will stand strong for you.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I think the general gist of advice here is go to the guards, not so much to bring a rain of trouble down on her, but to get the problem on record in case she gets worse. Other than that, cut ALL contact, refuse to speak to her at all. If she wants money, she always has the small claims court ;) . As for the gossip shes spreading, the only attitude to have is 'sticks and stones'. I know youre worried about her toerag friends believing her, but if her ranting to them is similar to her texts to you, Id say they may not take her as seriously as you think. This girl wants to remain part of your life, even if its as a psycho. If you refuse to listen or respond to her, the kick for her is gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Citizen Jake

As KatieK says, the problem will be on record of things get worse. GO TO THE GARDAI!!!!!! That 'I'll stab you 200 times' stuff is actually terrorising and should be brought to the attention of the Gardai. In fact, if she's going around painting you to be a child molester, etc, is grounds to take her to court for defamation of character. If you could get someone to act as witness on that front then you have her. You may even get compo or send the silly fool to prison to cool off. She sounds like an absolute ballbreaker and the fact that she's in touch with low types is really a cause for concern. All it takes is for some hothead who believes her to be high on something or have a few beers too many to come right after you, your new girlfriend or your property. Don't leave it too late. It is harassment and it has to stop. As the Corinthian points out, it could escalate at your expense if she or someone else logs her allegations with the Gardai. I know you don't want to involve them but if you don't you could end up hurt. Most people would rather not go to the Guards to resolve problems but they have to, that's what the Guards are there for. DO YOURSELF A FAVOUR, STRIKE FIRST AND END IT.

Citizen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Go to the guards. Don't send her a text saying "if you don't leave me alone I'll go to the guards" because you'll just give her ideas and she'll end up going to report you, make up things, and might actually get them on her side.

Go to the guards, tell them what you've told us, show them the texts (especially ones like "i'll stab you x times", that's just disturbing). Tell them it's upsetting your girlfriend, and you're very worried she might actually do something, etc. Seriously, do it.
    I don't envy your situation, man, good luck :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭DawnMc

Go straight to the Gardai, See this type of thing quite a lot. They will talk to her and warn her. She has no legal grounding in getting any money off u by the sounds of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭chuci

I just got a message off her, saying "I will stab you, 275 times"

thats insane i mean really. are you sure she isnt just being dramatic and craving your attention because she is jealous of your new g/f??? anyway that txt and others like them are proof that this girl is demented so just report her and guards will give her a caution. if she continues after that then she is a fool and will get arrested for harassment. was in the same situ as yourself maybe not as serious but just as annoying and embarrasssing so issued him with an official warning havent heard anything since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Cops cops cops cops cops. Today.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

cops.

and ask her to send you an invoice, with receipts of everything she would like to claim.

after all, if she cant provide the recepits, how does she know how much you owe her?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭ADUB?

OP I'm with everyone else on this 'Go to the cops'
    Tell them she is harrassing you, show them the texts.

I also inform them that she is slandering you in public and ask their advice on how to deal with the matter on two fronts
    1) harrassment issue
    2) slander issue (the gardai may inform you to see a solicitor) which I would also do.)

She is just a malicious B. and needs to be put back down to earth with a bump. Dont let this nasty person bully or threaten you!
    Good luck

Thanks for all the advice, I went to the Garda station today, have to say the sergeant on duty was extremely helpful. He took down a report, and rang her to inform her that a complaint has been made and he was offically asking her to stop contacting me or else he'd have to take a statement and prosecute.

Worked great, no word from her since. Of course, when he rang her, she tried claim that I was the one abusing her, but when he asked her to come down to the station and prove it like I had, she said something about loosing all the messages because she got a new phone - even though she had been threatening me about 30 minutes previous. :rolleyes:

Anyway, hopefully it's all sorted, kinda glad now, feeling alot better.

Thanks again for the advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭crazymonkey

good man,
    noone should have to put up with that sort of behaver, you done the right thing,,,

Advertisement