Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prospective Students: Q&A and Information on courses

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭sully-gormo

so for maths in 3rd level is it all learing proofs and theories then; as opposed to solving problems

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

so for maths in 3rd level is it all learing proofs and theories then; as opposed to solving problems
    ermm not really, understanding them, solving problems in some courses... only really learning off stuff if yer don't understand it per say....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=297198

That above link should probably be stickied. Odd how many people actually want to do TP!

I know, I know...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

EduMyth wrote:
    Odd how many people actually want to do TP!
    True....well they'll learn.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

Why is it so difficult; to get a first all you need is sumthing like 70%! In Leaving Cert thats a B3 but in college its a first. Do they just make the exams incredibly difficult or do people not try as hard?

Yup, we don't try as hard. :rolleyes:

Another thing about college is that while someone may be the best English student in their class of 30, and gets really high marks, when they get to college they could be surrounded by ppl who were all the best English student in their LC class too. So, the lecture theatre for first year English is full of 'best' students. The standard is high, and not all those Best students are going to get a first.

There's also the curve. It's not spoken of or in 'formal' practice, but pretty much the same number of first/seconds/thirds are given out in each course each year. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grading_curve

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

cuckoo wrote:
    There's also the curve. It's not spoken of or in 'formal' practice, but pretty much the same number of first/seconds/thirds are given out in each course each year. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grading_curve
    As far as I know for maths, physics etc there is no grading curve per say. There is going to be a bell curve anyway as it just is the natural way of things. Where the mean of that is will be based on two things: the objective academic performance of the class and the difficulty of the paper.
    Extra effort is obviously put in to most papers to ensure their fairness. I'm sure you've seen some slip through the cracks however (Claas Rover)

The only fidgeting I've seen done with a mean grade is when a paper is seen to be overly difficult or easy (by comparison to scores in other similar papers). They will be heavier or easier on mistakes as a result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 tH3_UnS0cial_1

hey i know this isnt really related! but i was just wondering about the college!...

Im really hoping to appy to get in!.. to study physics,or mental and moral science!!.. im still a lil fifth yr so im not 100% sure of my subjects yet!... prob sounds stupid but...

i was just wondering how people find the college!?
    I was there last year for a worshop for H.L maths!..thought it was Decent!..

so if anyone wants ta fill me in on the life of a trinity student please do so!:) thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

hey i know this isnt really related! but i was just wondering about the college!...

Im really hoping to appy to get in!.. to study physics,or mental and moral science!!.. im still a lil fifth yr so im not 100% sure of my subjects yet!... prob sounds stupid but...
    Don't feel pressurised to pick yet. Look through prospectuses, ask guidance counsellors, sort it out subconsciously. It's all good you have plenty of time. I didn't even know what I wanted to do even when I came to college, had picked natural science with the best of intention to do biochemistry. Fell in love with physics and that's what I'm doing now.

Philosophy (MMS) or physics eh? On one level I'm thinking "there are no two different courses". Yet again there is some overlap I suppose. Physics was once known as natural philosophy. It has a lot of philisophical implications too when you get into it too, multiverses, time etc. I know of a physics grad doing a philosophy phd so... I've also heard (though I can't imagine how!) of the opposite happening in england.
    I fking love it. Best years of my life without a doubt.
    so if anyone wants ta fill me in on the life of a trinity student please do so!:) thanks! :)
    It's what you make of it. There's really something for everyone. I'd be of the alcoholic pav group that knows all the barstaff on a first name basis and run around having statue climbing competitions. We have a good mix here, from the SU hacks to the Sci-fi heads, rock people. All with societys etc catering to their tastes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

If you've a day off school during college term (and are in Dublin) go into the campus and have a wander around - it can be a way of getting a 'feel' for the place. Over on the thread about the open day ppl mentioned how crazy crowded the place was - it isn't like that usually during term time.

I really like Trinity - i grew up beside UCD and a lot of my friends went there, and my experience is that Trinity is a lot more relaxed a place. Possibly the most relaxed coll in Ireland - and i've visited lots of them. I think it's the city centre location, yeah, there's lots of tourists but there's also the whole city for us to escape to. The downside is that we do have less 'student space', and it's not in any way like school as in people are friendly but you don't make friends by virtue of everyone being trapped in an isolated campus together, it takes a little bit more effort than that. But, there's a lot of mixing (sports, societies, etc) between people in different courses in TCD, which is cool as you're not limited to your 'own kind'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭air_vent

maybe we can join up and all hold hands and maybe do there exams for them aswell. Jesus

Dont know about this place but school kids these days !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

They just don't know about the jazz.

*shakes head*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 tH3_UnS0cial_1

thanks for the reply!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

Is there a proper medsoc in trinity? I can't see one on http://www.csc.tcd.ie:1002/socs.php, but if there's a nursing soc there's got to be a medsoc :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

BioSoc = MedSoc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 arbal

I'm an EU student and i've applied for medicine at Trinity this year. I wonder how are my results going to be compared with your Irish Leaving Certificate exams.
    I am taking Polish Matura Exams in May and I am in an experimental science subject class at my high school. Accordingly, my grades cannot be compared with any other because of different teaching methods. Does this in any way affect (improve:)) my chances at getting in TCD?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

arbal wrote:
    I'm an EU student and i've applied for medicine at Trinity this year. I wonder how are my results going to be compared with your Irish Leaving Certificate exams.
    I am taking Polish Matura Exams in May and I am in an experimental science subject class at my high school. Accordingly, my grades cannot be compared with any other because of different teaching methods. Does this in any way affect (improve:)) my chances at getting in TCD?
    I'm not au fait with the Polish examinations system, but it would be a good bet to e-mail the Admissions Office (admissns@tcd.ie), and ask there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

There are matriculation requirements for the Matura on the tcd.ie website here but I suppose medicine needs a pinch more than than. Definitely email the admissions officer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 arbal

Thanks, but i've already found that information and they're not up-to-date. The problem is that our matriculation system changed in 2004 and the grades are remarkably different. I've written to the admissions officer, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭Aporia

Okay I'm a Leaving Cert student and am putting down either Biblical and Theological Studies, Philosophy or European Studies on my CAO.
    Out of the three I'm most intrestes in Biblical And Theological Studies so I'm more than likely going to put that down as my number one option when the CAO change of mind forms are posted out.
    I'm just wondering if anyone is doing or knows someone that is doing the courses mentioned above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭analyse this

hey so im in 6th year and will be sitting the bug LC in '07!!! im preety set on psychology in trinity! does anyone here do it? if so id love to hear from you... what is the course like...any classes i shud def take...any advise on how to make the best out of the psych. course?

• Advertisement
Advertisement