Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prospective Students: Q&A and Information on courses

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Rredwell

When will we know what books to buy, and how much they wil cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

What books you need will depend on your course, the lecturers usually give reading lists - but do not buy any books straight away. A lot of the books will be available in the lending section of the library, so if you find that you're using the same library book over and over, and it'll be useful for the next year as well then think about buying it.

*looks at two textbooks i bought in first year in a fit of enthusiasm and have gathered dust on various shelves since then*

The SU bookshop in House 6 sells some textbooks second hand, they're particularly good for english lit reading lists (shelves of those novels, at good prices) and they're open for the whole year. Hodges Figgis and Waterstones on Dawson St sell college textbooks as well, and some second hand textbooks can be found in Chapters on Abbey Street. People also stick up notices around college if they're selling books.

About the cheapest way i've found to buy books is the second hand search thing on amazon.co.uk - you can search there for a book and pay (by credit card) through amazon, or you can contact the vendor (they're usually second hand shops) directly. In the past i've found a useful textbook at a good price through amazon, checked the vendor's own site and found a couple more books that i've wanted - and then contacted them. They didn't have the secure payment transaction online thing that amazon would have, so i emailed them the books i was interested in and arranged a time to phone with my credit card details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭THE1NE

Ok anybody know how much im likely to spend on books and other stuff needed (Lab coat,Chemistry set...any other bol!ox needed in general).
    Just its coming out of my grant money and I need to get my finances (aka beer money) straight.
    Thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

THE1NE wrote:
    Ok anybody know how much im likely to spend on books and other stuff needed (Lab coat,Chemistry set...any other bol!ox needed in general).
    Just its coming out of my grant money and I need to get my finances (aka beer money) straight.
    Thanks!!

If you're doing science don't buy any books at all in first year. I'm not messing, all the books you'll need are in the SLEN (science lending) section of the library, and most of the useful textbooks for first year are in the counter reserve (can't be taken out of the libary, can be 'borrowed' for i think 3 hours use in the library). If you go to lectures, and take good notes, textbooks really are just for back up, to look at diagrams and read a chapter or two in, for first year anyway. You might look at them while writing up a lab, but don't buy any. Also, so much information can be found online, lecturers put up copies of slides and links to useful sites on their homepages and a google can come up with more than enough info for first year stuff.

Lab coats are sold in the SU bookshop in house 6, i went at the end of Freshers week my first year and ended up with one that was down to my ankles, a lot of sizes had sold out by then. The lab coats are different from the white coats that doctors wear, and cost me about 30 quid (pounds, not yo yos), not sure how much they are now. There's also lab goggles/safety glasses and lab manuals (the 'how to' for the experiments) that are sold in the lab on the first day. You have to have the lab coat by then - you won't be let into the lab without it. I think i paid 8 pounds for the safety glasses and 3 pounds for the manual. This is all if you're doing chemistry, btw. Physics labs don't need white coats or glasses.

Look into getting a locker in the Hamilton if you're going to be doing labs - it's really handy having a place you can leave your labcoat in and forget about it inbetween labs. Also, bags and ordinary coats can be dumped there - there is a cloakroom on the ground floor of the Ham that stuff can be left into for free, but sometimes there's queues. There's something on that tcd.ie site for 'incoming students' about getting lockers.

I can remember people who were doing Biology (which i didn't do) buying dissecting kits in the SU bookshop - don't know if they wear lab coats for their labs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭THE1NE

Cool I was expecting to spend up to 500 so pretty happy.
    Doing Biology,Maths,Chemistry.
    You sure I'll get by without buying any books!!

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Are they worth doing? I was considering applying to do the Spanish class so I could keep it up, but I'm concerned that a) Everyone else would be more advanced than me, b) It would interfere with other extra-curricular things I intend to take (can't find timetables anywhere) and c) It might be huge workload.
    So basically, my questions (to Science students especially, since that's the course I'm doing) are - What is the standard most people have going into these classes, would I be out of my depth with just a B2 at higher level Leaving Cert? If it clashed with other activities, would the other clubs/societies mind me not being available Monday evenings? And would it be a huge workload to take on, or is it doable?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

I think you are talking about the CLCS modules that are optional when doing a non-language subject as your undergraduate major (http://www.tcd.ie/CLCS/courses/modules.html ). Afaik you get extra marks for completing this module. I don't think you should be worried at all about your entry ability. The classes are for non-beginners, and I imagine that means those who did it for the leaving cert. So most of your classmates would be in the same boat as you. As long as you honoured it and have an interest I doubt you have anything to worry about.

In as far as time goes.. well you'll be looking at about 30 hours a week, with these modules stretching the odd day into the night (not sure if it's once or twice a week, probably once). It's definitely doable, especially in JF. My advice is to do it, should you feel its too much work or it's taking too much of your time then you can drop it, no big deal.

Well the Spanish class I'm looking at it Monday evenings from 7 til 9, would many of the clubs and societies meet on Monday evenings? The main things I'm considering joining are the Choral Society and the Trampolining Club but I can't find anywhere when these are on

Oh yeah, and I have a lab coat that I used in school for Chemistry class - can I use the same one in college? It's not a V-neck one, it's one of the ones that fastens with poppers on the right shoulder

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭fade

Serenity wrote:
    the ban was in refernce to most of his posts here not just that one. Anyway only a 24hr one.......

this place used to be so quiet in civilised.....i blame fade...

you know, you are sharper than most, cos it actually is my fault, who do you think has been pushin all the buttons and pulling all the strings over here? me! muahahahahahahahahahahah

and i have other minions to unleash onto the peacefull thread that is "Prospective Students: Q&A and Information on courses "

• Advertisement

Fishie wrote:
    Well the Spanish class I'm looking at it Monday evenings from 7 til 9, would many of the clubs and societies meet on Monday evenings? The main things I'm considering joining are the Choral Society and the Trampolining Club but I can't find anywhere when these are on

Trampolining meets several times a week anyways, so you should be grand.

Fishie wrote:
    Oh yeah, and I have a lab coat that I used in school for Chemistry class - can I use the same one in college? It's not a V-neck one, it's one of the ones that fastens with poppers on the right shoulder

A Howie? Yeah v-neck is generally for people who just need a lab coat for chemistry. Howie is the only one accepted for biology and does for chemistry also. So you should be able to use that lab-coat. They will however be very strict that you keep it completely buttoned up and not let the neck hang down in chemistry labs. You need safety goggles too, if you dont havem they'll be available. So all you're missing is your JF lab manual which they will make sure you acquire so don't worry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

Good luck to everyone starting! Geog/Geol is really interesting, but its quite a bit of extra work during the year. Having said that most of your marks are awarded for the work you do throughout the year so it takes a little pressure off you come May. I worked hard at all my project work and had pretty much passed those subjects before I even sat down to sit the papers. I spent about a day studying for my Geology exam and even less for Geog (Don't do this, it's not a nice feelin to sit outside the exam hall in the RDS and crap yourself before an exam! :)) NEVER AGAIN!!!!! The Geol/Geog depts. halve the mark you get in each subject and add them together to give you your final mark for the year. So lets say you get 70 in Geol and 30 in Geog, overall, you get 50%. That comes in DAMN handy!

If you're good at maths then by all means do full maths, but if you only did pass (like me) for the LC, do maths methods. I was told at subject reg last year theat I should really consider doing maths methods as I had only done pass for the LC, full maths would have been way over my head. I took on Chem instead, and I must say, although I was $hit-scared as I hadnt studied it since JC that it turned out to be, apart from Geology, my fav subject. The labs are really interesting, although I really didnt know what was going on most of the time :) Anyone studying Chem should find the textbook Zumdahl helpful, I loved that book. There are plenty of copies available in the Ham library so dont go buyin a copy. I found that book a lot more helpful than Silberberg (the recommended text) (remember, I had a 15 year old's knowledge of Chem!)

I hope I havent scared anyone, I really had a blast last year. Roll on Senior Freshman year! If anyone has any questions, feel free to pm me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Vangelis

When can I expect to hear from Trinity after I have sent the application?

Vangelis wrote:
    When can I expect to hear from Trinity after I have sent the application?
    Did you apply through the CAO?

ApeXaviour wrote:
    Did you apply through the CAO?

Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Sisu

I don't know the answer myself, and not knowing what kind of application you mean doesn't help. The vast majority of applications go through the CAO. However, on the Admissions page, this list of application forms might help you towards finding the information you want. From this page, I got:
    Offers to successful Mature Applicants and to candidates who have deferred entry from the previous year will be issued in early August.
    Maybe you should start a thread on the relevant type of application and someone who knows might be more likely to spot it and answer your question. Otherwise, why not phone Admissions and ask them?

Vangelis wrote:
    Nope.
    I reckon you should make some phone calls. It's quite late. I know mature and international students who are already getting their library tours etc.

Ring the admissions office, contact details should be on http://www.tcd.ie/Admissions/

Myth might be able to help you out also, it being his job (student union education officer)..

Who is Myth?

I'm not applying for entry to this year, but to next year, if that is of any help.

Vangelis wrote:
    Who is Myth?

I'm not applying for entry to this year, but to next year, if that is of any help.
    Much help..

You probably shouldn't have heard anything yet, give it 6months. Well maybe you should have heard an acknowledgement of your application. Are you an international or mature student or something else?

Myth is the boards.ie handle for Dónal McCormack, student union education officer extraordinaire for this year. Thus far more qualified to answer your questions.

• Advertisement

I'll contact Myth then! Thanks! :)

I'm an international applicant! And I am going to send the application in a couple of days. I thought I should expect something like 6 weeks..

I'll talk to Myth! :D

One thing.. Do they wait with admitting students untill the application deadline or do they accept/deject applicants from when they start to receive the first application?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭sully-gormo

im thinking of doin theoretical physics in TCD; anyone hear doing it? opinions of it? Im thinking of doing it because you can switch out to maths or physics easily enough and Im not really sure which is better; this way I can do both:D . Also; as regards maths in university; how is it different from maths for the leaving?

im thinking of doin theoretical physics in TCD; anyone hear doing it? opinions of it? Im thinking of doing it because you can switch out to maths or physics easily enough and Im not really sure which is better; this way I can do both:D . Also; as regards maths in university; how is it different from maths for the leaving?
    Well I'm a physics student, as well as cuckoo and sleepingbeauty. The other mod Neiztenmeinzhisein (Ian from now on) was a TP for a few days before switching to maths. EduMyth, our venerable SU sabbatical education officer was also a TP for a few days before switching to Engineering (and later becoming a hack ;) ). I think pseudonym is a TP too. Lot of physics heads here tbh

Anyway ian's better qualified to answer your maths question. As far as physics goes? Most of my current lectures are with TP's. What can I say I love the subject. Gets very difficult in the senior years however.. Defo physics/maths/tp are some of the hardest to pass in, but in saying that they're easy enough to do well in due to the lack of subjective marking. It's unheard of to get 80% in most arts subjects, doable in our subjects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭sully-gormo

Why is it so difficult; to get a first all you need is sumthing like 70%! In Leaving Cert thats a B3 but in college its a first. Do they just make the exams incredibly difficult or do people not try as hard?

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ilovemybrick

Why is it so difficult; to get a first all you need is sumthing like 70%! In Leaving Cert thats a B3 but in college its a first. Do they just make the exams incredibly difficult or do people not try as hard?

apparently in any arts subjects. your essays/projects start with eighty percent as a given and they deduct from there as a negative marking scheme. only the very exceptional essays get anywhere over eighty ie you have to come up with a very rare or unheard of conclusion as apposed to just having an encylopedic knowledge of the subject (in first year anyway). it takes a lot of work to get a 1st in most arts courses. thats why being an arts schol is considered by some to be v impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

ApeXaviour wrote:
    The other mod Neiztenmeinzhisein (Ian from now on) was a TP for a few days before switching to maths.
    a year?

Anyway to the point, maths in college is very different from lc maths if you do maths or tp, similar enough but harder in science.

More abstract n stuff like that, lots of group theory, field theory n so on... if your in maths you can do alot of computers and statistics aswell..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

thats why being an arts schol is considered by some to be v impressive.
    Its always very impressive to get schol.........

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

The exams are more difficult. The LC is too easy as it stands in my opinion. Higher level should mean higher level. Biology and chemistry at higher level in the LC wouldn't even get you a pass in the first year college courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

The idea in college marking is essentially that to get a 1st, it must really stand out from the crowd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ilovemybrick

The idea in college marking is essentially that to get a 1st, it must really stand out from the crowd.

yes yes it does. i like to polish the crown they gave me for mine.

Advertisement