Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A mirror by day - thgin yb rorrim a

Options
  • 03-08-2005 1:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭

A mirror by day – thgin yb rorrim a

When I look at you do I see myself? – ?ees ot eviecrep uoy od ohw os fi dna
    Brightness shining enlightens my vague view – ytitne ym srits ssenkrad gninefaed
    Only I as myself can answer what I ask – nruter ym noitseuq nac flesruoy sa uoy ylno
    Twilight twists and turns my eager estimation – nrub uoy hctaw I sa semalf gnilleuf

Logically listening I hesitantly hear no lies – shturt on kaeps nac uoy kaeps uoy nehw
    Rays reflect refract and some pass through – stoor sti hguorht egami eht gnibbats
    Silence creeps through the wide open window – taeh eht gnillik ylsuollac ssendloc
    And as I watch all that lies before me – taerter ytsah dna dlob a sdib egami ym

What I see is worth nothing without the sound of silence sometimes tickling my ears

comments appreciated, it takes a bit of effort to read fully, so if you have done so, thanks....

***warning this may hurt your eyes ***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

I'm not sure you're doing your verse justice with this little trick.

Perhaps repeated reading will reap dividends.

One thing though, the word "ylsuollca" reversed spells acllously. This isn't a word to the best of my knowledge. Is it meant to be callously?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

yep earthorse it was callously, sorry bout that - but sure im allowed mistakes.....i dont really mind if it does it justice or not its just something i wanted to do, was just trying something more "creative" that pleased me anyway

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

it is very creative, well done
    I can tell that took some time ;)

it took aq bit of time alright - its hard to think backwards :) but sure it worked out in the end, all but one word

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

I really liked it, it must have taken a lot of effort to write :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Shad0r

My eyes hurt. Literally. For that alone, I hate this poem.

sorry bout that shad0r - how do you think i feel, hate is a very strong word though, think of it as a puzzle - and if you have read it, fair play - you solved it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

hate is merely love with its back turned.
    Ctrl-alt... well f*cking done that is incredible! I love the last line it ties it all together so nicely!

thanks le rack - your comments are much appreciated, glad you liked it

its great though, reminds me of Mirror by Sylvia Plath, nothing like it but still reminds me of it.
    Yours, its so, its like your standing there talking away infront of the mirror stating these facts asking these questions, and its like the mirror is giving sorta rhetorical thoughts back, well thats my interpretation (sp)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Very unusual, interest concept, have to say that I didn't actually read it, too bloody annoying this time of night, but fair play for the original approach, writing style on the directly readable side of the mirror seems fairly solid :)

mobileinfantry - maybe it might be a bit kinder on the brain/eyes tomorrow you might be able to read it then, you never know you might like it :D .....

le rack - thats the basic idea behind it alrite, i think it works ok

yeah its fab, really fits and is perfectly vivid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Shad0r

sorry bout that shad0r - how do you think i feel, hate is a very strong word though, think of it as a puzzle - and if you have read it, fair play - you solved it

Ok fair enough, I probably wasnt clear. I dont hate the poem cause its badly written or anything like that, I just hate that you have to decipher one half of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭marshmallow

I know nothing of creative writing but I enjoyed reading it if it helps.
    I'd put the **warning** at the start of the post.

Shad0r wrote:
    Ok fair enough, I probably wasnt clear. I dont hate the poem cause its badly written or anything like that, I just hate that you have to decipher one half of it.
    as I already said "hate is merely love with its back turned" *me grins smugly....*

i only put the warning in after an edit marshmallow, was just in response to a reply - didnt want to put it in at the start, and i was gonna put it in mirrored so thank your lucky stars its in at all :D ,
    anyway glad the majority are liking it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

Le Rack wrote:
    as I already said "hate is merely love with its back turned" *me grins smugly....*

Now I feel like quoting my favourite song ever for soem reason

"There's a thin line between love and hate, I'm standing in the no-mans land and I'm afraid"

Sorry mods, I just couldn't hold myself back from posting that :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

Ha,well done OP. I wouldn't have that kind of patience!
    Good work!:D

Just in case there's any misunderstanding I did actually enjoy this piece. I just think I would have enjoyed it more had it been written straight.

Having said that, if you're going to keep it the way it is might I suggest capitalising the last letter in each reverso sentence? It would lend a better symmetry to the page.

• Advertisement

it would defeat the idea behind it writing it straight, but you're right i may change them to capitals

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭randomhuman

Nice idea, but it's too hard to read. Maybe you could get the same idea across by justifying the two sides (both written forwards) along a centre line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭McFiddler

OP, why have you decided to use this strange technique? It's frustrating to read and I assume that that is your intention but I just don't get it. In my opinion poetry is supposed to be pleasureable to read despite what emotion the poet is trying to envoke. I think it would be a good poem if written normally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Nidge

McFiddler wrote:
    OP, why have you decided to use this strange technique? It's frustrating to read and I assume that that is your intention but I just don't get it. In my opinion poetry is supposed to be pleasureable to read despite what emotion the poet is trying to envoke. I think it would be a good poem if written normally.

I like it, I think it's different, beats the ass off the generic technique of many poets out there and certainly on this forum. (full review later)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭DawnMc

Marvellous, v.creative

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

Carefull mcfiddler..you only just got out of jail. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 ziggy sawdust

have to admit I'm not a big fan of poems that play with the words on a page - I prefer concentrating on the sounds of words as opposed to how they look on the page - Actually if one was to read this poem aloud how would you as the writer intend it to sound (read backwards as written or read forwards for the meaning?)

Anyway - just throught, if any of you guys like playing around with the structure of the actual words on the page you might find some of E E Cummings work interesting. Personally not a big fan but I do like the novelty value.

Heres a sample called 'The Sky Was' by the way:

The Sky Was E. E. Cummings

the
    sky
    was
    can dy lu
    minous
    edible
    spry
    pinks shy
    lemons
    greens coo 1 choc
    olate
    s.

un der,
    a lo
    co
    mo
    tive s pout
    ing
    vi
    o
    lets

Online text © 1998-2005 Poetry X. All rights reserved.
    From Tulips and Chimneys | New York: Thomas Seltzer, 1923

That's ee cummings! The structure can often seem like a novelty thing or a gimmick but often it's employed to give the poem a rhythm it wouldn't otherwise have or create a visual image with the text itself that backs up what the poem's describing.

Just picked up 73 poems the other day and I have to say No Thanks is one of my favourite books, poetry or otherwise, that I've ever read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭jimmidy_cricket

You're right it did hurt my eyes and unfortunately patience isn't a virtue I am well equipped with, but of the short piece I did decipher I liked it and was wondering if you could possibly post it again in normal writing because trying to read it normal is slowing me down and I'm missing alot of it...pretty purlease?

• Advertisement

A mirror by day – a mirror by night

When I look at you do I see myself? – and if so who do you perceive to see?
    Brightness shining enlightens my vague view – deafening darkness stirs my entity
    Only I as myself can answer what I ask – only you as yourself can question my return
    Twilight twists and turns my eager estimation – fuelling flames as I watch you burn

Logically listening I hesitantly hear no lies – when you speak you can speak no truths
    Rays reflect refract and some pass through – stabbing the image through its roots
    Silence creeps through the wide open window – coldness callously killing the heat
    And as I watch all that lies before me – my image bids a bold and hasty retreat.

What I see is worth nothing without the sound of silence sometimes tickling my ears

Advertisement