Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time

Options
  • 29-07-2005 5:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭

A little girl I once knew,
    Fair of skin with golden hair,
    She learned and she grew.
    Learned the way of life.

With age, comes change.
    Something she could never do.
    Golden curls become an ash-brown mess,
    A solid mind frayed at the edge.

Aged and greying,
    Her mind long lost.
    She sits in her chair,
    A rug on her knee.
    She sits and dhe wonders,
    What ever happened
    To the young girl that was me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

Yup, again short, simple, effective and slightly sarcastic :)
    It's good though....

when are the next batch of poems going to be ready by? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

I dunno, that was mid-July's batch so give me two weeks at least! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,903 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Another nice one. Paints a vivid picture of old age - Something which is often overlooked as a state of mind I guess. Thank you.

eh its about me kinda, I hate change, in life, last summer I had the best summer ever and even though better thing have happened since I still want last summer back...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

know how ya feel...this yeaqr is more complicated somehow..keep the poems comin!

• Advertisement

hey now, you weren't there last year! :)
    but yes we together know the complications of this year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Nidge

Le Rack wrote:
    A little girl I once knew,
    Fair of skin with golden hair,
    She learned and she grew.
    Learned the way of life.

With age, comes change.
    Something she could never do.
    Golden curls become an ash-brown mess,
    A solid mind frayed at the edge.

Aged and greying,
    Her mind long lost.
    She sits in her chair,
    A rug on her knee.
    She sits and dhe wonders,
    What ever happened
    To the young girl that was me.

Well done on another great poem. How you work so fast is such a mystery. Keep them coming though. Now on to the poem itself.

An impressive creation. In all accounts I was engaged. Both in its aural and its thematic connotive aspects I found great interest. You're use of the the heroic quatrain in the two opening stanzas coupled with your tendancy towards masculinity in the mono-syllalbic nature of the rhyming itself, I found to be particularly prepossessing and, in many ways apt, when taking the poem's thematic concerns into view.

My appreciation lies in the third verse also. It is, to me, the most eloquent of refrains; an epilogue of most significant clarity. To be frank, it woke me up. Rhythmically, the poem is a triumph, although I hardly think I need to go into depth about it. To see such musicality and an innate rhythmical awareness alongside eachother only furthered my elation!

Aside from the poem's obvious technical merits, it has a another equivocal element that, to me, almost borders on the esoteric. This element, I believe, is honesty. The occurances of life are woven into the verse. The words leak what is genuine. I mean, I'm no poetry expert but, I know what, to me at least, seems to writing of quality.The writing is just so non pareil.

I believe that the title perfectly exemplifies this. In all honesty, I have not witnessed a single piece of ingenuity so impressive since reading G. Naberezhnyi's collection "3rd the Mane" last year in Nizhnevartovsk. Such an unassuming place, yet so much to offer. I feel the same reading this. But never mind, I wander.

To conclude, I belive your writing shows you to be erudite yet never pretentious, cogent yet never stagnant or dry, full of soul and most importantly, full of promise.

Keep writing. Keep pushing as you do. You've caught it; take a look at what you have caught.

I know I may joke around from time to time on here, but when something really does catch my eye I have to cut the crap. Fecking well done. Believe me when I say, once again, well done.

P.S. just read back over my post, Nizhnevartovsk is in central Russia. Small town I visited last July for a family wedding. Anyway, I happened upon a really cool poetry reading which I found fantastic. Just in case you were wondering!! :o He he he.. I can imagine a few fairly confused faces!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

ok, i don't know your exact situation last summer but i was in a pretty crappy one myself, and this summer isnt much better. id prob say it was worse by a little bit.

nope last summer was the best and since last October I have been going around saying I want the summer back!

Le Rack wrote:
    nope last summer was the best and since last October I have been going around saying I want the summer back!

Build a time-machine.

• Advertisement

Build a time-machine.
    I wish! Didn't work last time, won't work this time!

okay, I know theres compliments in there I just don't understand them, could you gimmie a hand??? (gawd I feel stupid)

its thematic connotive aspects

masculinity in the mono-syllalbic nature of the rhyming itself

equivocal element

the esoteric

as you can see I am far from a poetry expert myself....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,903 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Le Rack wrote:
    I wish! Didn't work last time, won't work this time!

I'll give you a lend of mine - I bet the problem was with the flux capacitor. My car can't go 88 mph sadly so it's no use to me. Have fun with it.

Le Rack wrote:
    masculinity in the mono-syllalbic nature of the rhyming itself

Mono syllabic = one syllable

Masculinity = male

rhyming = a type of pattern

However this will help you I don't know ;)

I know what the words mean but what does the sentence mean as a whole?

bah!

The words are mono syllabic and also happen to sound masculine and are ryhming ummmm what I'm saying is most likely wrong/....

yeah thats what I was kinda thinking but it doesn't seem quite right for some reason...

No, I'm pretty sure that it's right, it's just that we are too dumb to figure it out :P

No you are both viciously wrong.

• Advertisement

At least I knew I was wrong :)
    So hence my asking for you to explain some stuff for me please?

I am literally too tired to bother, some other time.

okay, please do, thanx

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭the raven

i wouldn't kids... if i was you i'd try not to find out the real meaning behind his criticism... good work nidge... (they still haven't figured it out...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Kindly be more constructive or stop posting altogether.

thanks Sark. :)

Oh, don't think you're blameless. It takes two to make an arguement.

yeah but I asked for an explanation of something I didn't understand, me and Munk were discussing it and Nidge and Raven are making fun of us.

And warnings have been given. If it continues I will start banning people. But it won't continue, will it folks?

• Advertisement

I just asked a simple question but since I'm not getting an explanation I'll just go huff

Advertisement