Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dad dying

Options
  • 24-07-2005 1:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭

Just back from the hospital. My father was rushed in this morn and is in surgery as I type. They say the chances of survival are slim to none. I am so numb and don't know what to do

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

My mum had surgery that had a high failure rate last September but she is still alive - feel free to PM - I do know how you feel, the wait during the surgery and the aftermath are something that even now I find hard to look back on, but you can get through this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

really sorry to hear hun, hope everything goes ok. be positive. chin up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭DawnMc

Thanks girl,still no news

let us know anyway....pm me if u like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭irishboy19

i lost my father in law a year ago

im rooting for ya man
    keep the head up... thats the main thing
    i know its hards but you got to be strong were here if you need to talk.
    all the best

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Sue*

hope everything goes okay. let us know how things go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭LadyJ

OP I lost my mother when I was 11 and I don't think that these situations become any less frightening as you get older. I really hope your dad will be ok but if not just remember that feeling numb is just the body's way of coping with intense fear and shock. It's just your defense mechanisms kicking in.

We all deal with this kind of thing in different ways and there is no right or wrong way to feel. Sometimes it can take years for that numbness to disappear.

Personally I find that grief is a very personal and private thing so don't worry if everyone else seems to make their feelings public,it doesn't mean you have to. Just deal with it all in your own way and don't feel guilty for feeling less than you think you should. If we didn't feel numb sometimes we might fall apart. The numb feeling is just there to give you time to adjust and deal with everything.

I really hope your dad gets better OP but if not,you will deal with it and you will feel normal once again.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Whats the diagnosis?

Just back from the hosp, when they went into surgery, it wasn't what they thought it was so they were able to repair damage. We went in to see him just now and he's in intensive care, comatosed etc. The prognosis is good enough - 60/40% survival/death. Doc says serious complications v.common after this particular surgery so pray all please

i'll be thinking of u girl.
    things a looking good,
    hopefully everything'll be fine.

• Advertisement

Thanks girl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

sorry to hear about ur dad but hope all goes wel and he gets better soon

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Hope all goes well for you Dawn. We're rooting for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yeah, I know it's only words, but I'll say a prayer for your dad, I'm sure alot of others here will do the same.

Hope everything goes well for you and your family, good luck.

Thanks to you all. You're all so good. Will keep u updated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭shellby

i'm so sorry to hear that hun
    there are plenty of support groups around the hospital your father is in should have one
    stay positive
    i hope everything goes alright

Thanks v.much. All your support is greatly appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭ClareBear

I don't even want to think about what you're going through, I don't know how or if I'd cope. I hope your Dad will be okay Dawn. Best of luck xx

Thanks Clare, I hope so too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

Hey dawn, definetly have my thoughts going with you, sorry to hear about this.
    if you wanna chat, let me know or PM me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Sifo

hey dawn really sorry to hear your Dads ill, hope he pulls through sweetheart, i will most definitely pray for him and you and your family also... be strong x

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Hey dawn, sorry to hear about your dad.
    Hope he pulls through.

Thanks, you're all so good. Went in to see him earlier and he's kind of a bit awake. Coming out of sedation, knows were there etc. Pray for next 48hrs please lads, you're all so good

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

spend as much time as you can with him
    make your peace with him.
    tell him all the things you are sorry for, and let him know hom much you love him.

go with the worst case scenario, that he will not live beyond today. i know it sounds terrible, but every day after today that he lives,and you have made your peace with him, is like a blessing.

Made my peace with him many times before when he was in hosp the last time. He knows I love him and there's nothing more to say

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

DawnMc wrote:
    Made my peace with him many times before when he was in hosp the last time. He knows I love him and there's nothing more to say
    And also should say brilliant post WWM, put a tear in my eye - letting your loved ones know how much you love them is important at this time, any minor disagreements with anyone seem stupid at times like these. Best wishes to OP - thinking about you and praying for your family at this time.

Thanks again to you all. I'll keep u all updated

• Registered Users Posts: 45,558 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Sorry to hear about your Dad. I hope he pulls through. God bless.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

spend as much time as you can with him
    make your peace with him.
    tell him all the things you are sorry for, and let him know hom much you love him.

go with the worst case scenario, that he will not live beyond today. i know it sounds terrible, but every day after today that he lives,and you have made your peace with him, is like a blessing.

eh I think thats your issue. tbh.

• Advertisement

Hi all,
    Dad is off the ventilator today and is sitting out in intensive care.
    This is great news, not out of the woods yet (infections etc)
    Keep up the prayers!
    xxx

Advertisement