Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man running from police shot dead in London

• 22-07-2005 10:37am

just heard it on sky news.he was trying to blow himself up but police shot/killed him before he did it.it was on a train in stockwell!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

Sky News link.

Nothing on the BBC or Reuters yet. Won't hold my breath until I see it reported on those sites, to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

London is getting jihah-ed out if it in the past few weeks....

Holy fupp! I was thinking of taking a job in London, but fcuk that... Dublin will do me fine :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭Downtime

It's on the BBC site as well on the Latest news ticker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

London is getting jihah-ed out if it in the past few weeks....

Holy fupp! I was thinking of taking a job in London, but fcuk that... Dublin will do me fine :eek:

You should go - it's unlikely that anything will happen to you
    If people start not going because of this then the people putting bombs there win...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

Sky wrote:
    If the suspect is confirmed to be a suicide bomber, it would mark the fifth attempted terrorist attack on London in less than a day.

Looks like they don't even know if it was a suicide bomber or not. Could just be a guy going camping...

• Advertisement

oh my god!its like 9-11 times 1000!!!!thats NINE HUNDRED AND ELEVEN THOUSAND!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

:( War on Terrorism a great success, it seems. Success for the terrorists who have a fantastic new recruitment draw, that is.

Zapho wrote:
    Looks like they don't even know if it was a suicide bomber or not. Could just be a guy going camping...

Indeed - If he turns out to be a guy going camping then the londoners have both sides to fear. They should try the Americans idea of carrying out random search es on the NY underground today :rolleyes:

from the BBC:
    A man has been shot at Stockwell Tube station by armed police officers, police confirm.
    Passengers were evacuated from a Tube train on the Northern Line station in south London after the incident.

Passenger Mark Whitby told BBC News he had seen an Asian man shot five times by "plain-clothes police officers".

Services on the Victoria and Northern lines have been suspended following a request by the police, London Underground said.

Police are hunting four would-be bombers after Thursday's London blasts.

The bombers fled after detonators went off, causing small blasts, but failed to detonate the bombs themselves.

Mr Whitby, told BBC News: "I saw an Asian guy run onto the train hotly pursued by three plain-clothes police officers.

"One of them was carrying a black handgun - it looked like an automatic - they pushed him to the floor, bundled on top of him and unloaded five shots into him."

Passenger Briony Coetsee said: "We were on the Tube and then we suddenly heard someone say, 'Get out, get out' and then we heard gunshots."

hey pakistani.does your granny have afanny?does it smell/fuc*ing hell!!

the cause of split between the west and muslims.

Oh yeah of course - There is a position in the UN open as a peace commissioner maybe you should think of applying. Don't the rest of us look like morons! Who would of tought it could be this simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭mjquinno

dumbass
    hey pakistani.does your granny have afanny?does it smell/fuc*ing hell!!

the cause of split between the west and muslims.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

from the BBC:

What disturbs me about that quote is that they seemingly had him on the floor and under some sort of control/restraint, and then shot him.

We don't know what happened exactly, so we'll have to wait for better details I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭juno75

The_Dazzler=Muppet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭The Gnome

And more disturbing still is that they apparently shot him 5 times!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

Patience people. it can take up to two hours to get all the facts from the news

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

can we remove the_dazzler please? no need for his comments. that worries and disturbs me about the restraint and then shooting. kinda wierd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Zapho wrote:
    Patience people. it can take up to two hours to get all the facts from the news

Yep, just witness reports atm....

Doesn't sound good though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭shellby

holy sh1t london has gone flucking loo lah in the past couple of weeks chrst this might really back fire for them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It seems unlikely to me that the British Police would just shoot someone on suspicion, or when he was in restraints. Let's wait until we get the full story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭roberteboot

splinter wrote:
    can we remove the_dazzler please? no need for his comments. that worries and disturbs me about the restraint and then shooting. kinda wierd

I always thought that quote was hilarious when i was a kid.So its official.Kids are rascist.

But back on topic if they were afraid that he could detonate the bomb(I.E. if he had the detonator in his hand or felt there was a risk that he could get at it) then they couldnt take any chances.It doesnt say they had him restrained.They toppled on top of him.It was probably very messy.Split second decision type of thing.If he had of managed to hit the detonator who knows what would of happened.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Megatron

The Gnome wrote:
    And more disturbing still is that they apparently shot him 5 times!

it does seem a bit of OTT.

But what if ( and i know it's just speculation) the had a dead mans switch on him ?

Just a plain simple wire , he has it tuaght and all he has to do is let go , or it was a simple button, he tried to let go , and force his had off it, the officers shot him and took control of the button/wire ?

when i heard of the bombs yesterday and how one of the bombs was a "Nail bomb" My first though was copy cat bombing.

Megatron wrote:
    it does seem a bit of OTT.

But what if ( and i know it's just speculation) the had a dead mans switch on him ?

Just a plain simple wire , he has it tuaght and all he has to do is let go , or it was a simple button, he tried to let go , and force his had off it, the officers shot him and took control of the button/wire ?

when i heard of the bombs yesterday and how one of the bombs was a "Nail bomb" My first though was copy cat bombing.

Five times.Once.What does it matter.They stopped him from killing people.Im sure the people on the train he was running towards wouldnt mind if they shot him all day long!I cant believe people are talking about it being over the top!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

We don't know where in his body he was shot.

I'm a liberal, but ...

If you're an undercover armed cop dealing with a potential suicide bomber who has clearly displayed that he's not afraid to die, and wants to take as many innocents with him do you: a) try take him into custody on a crowded tube, giving plenty of opportunity for him to connect whatever needs connecting, or b) disable him, using whatever force you feel is necessary?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Kingsize

well think of the poor bastard who was arrested at gunpoint in the downing st area just because he was an asian with a rucksack.
    he was later released without charge.
    For all we know this guy in the tube station couldve been taking his IPOD out of his bag.
    surely if you can restrain someone thers no need to shoot them especially if they (potentially) have explosives strapped to their back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭anthonymcg

We're talking about it being OTT cos we're working on the facts which are there at the moment. Noone knows what type of bomb he had on them. Also there seem to have been a lot of police chasing him which suggests that they must have had some intelligence about him in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Five times.Once.What does it matter.They stopped him from killing people.

You've obviously heard something the rest of us haven't. He was shot under suspicion of being a bomber while under restraint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

seamus wrote:
    It seems unlikely to me that the British Police would just shoot someone on suspicion, or when he was in restraints.

Really!

They did that to Irishmen all through the 70's and 80's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

he was only shot because he needed to be shot, they would have wanted him alive if possible to lead the police to the rest of his buddies.

if you were tackling a suicide bomber and had him on the ground and he reached for his button to explode his bomb what would you do? use harsh langauge, British police dont go around shooting people for jollies you know....

Trojan wrote:
    We don't know where in his body he was shot.

I'm a liberal, but ...

If you're an undercover armed cop dealing with a potential suicide bomber who has clearly displayed that he's not afraid to die, and wants to take as many innocents with him do you: a) try take him into custody on a crowded tube, giving plenty of opportunity for him to connect whatever needs connecting, or b) disable him, using whatever force you feel is necessary?
    True. If he was a suicide bomber (and lets bear in mind that details of this story are still emerging), then the police should use any and all force necessary to stop him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭The Gnome

Five times.Once.What does it matter.They stopped him from killing people.Im sure the people on the train he was running towards wouldnt mind if they shot him all day long!I cant believe people are talking about it being over the top!

Restraint is sometimes neccessary. Especially if, as Megatron suggested, the suspect is connected to a dead mans switch. If the police force can't show restraint and keep calm then hysteria in the general public will most likely ensue.

shotting him once in the head won't do much other than it might cause a nervous responce and se tthe bomb off , it's better to do multi shots ,hence letting the attacker die slowly, alowing you to have more control over the body

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

a shoot to kill policy on terrorists,as long as they kill the right people i have no problem!

Nuttzz wrote:
    British police dont go around shooting people for jollies you know....

well the used to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

Kingsize wrote:
    For all we know this guy in the tube station couldve been taking his IPOD out of his bag.
    surely if you can restrain someone thers no need to shoot them especially if they (potentially) have explosives strapped to their back.

You dont have 10 armed undercover police officers chasing after you through a tube station for taking an ipod out of a bag. If it was, why would he run?

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭horseflesh

Exactly.
    People who want to get all touchy-feely with these suicide bombers should cop on to themselves.
    In cases like this a shoot-to-kill policy is definitely justified.

• Advertisement

Macros42 wrote:
    You've obviously heard something the rest of us haven't. He was shot under suspicion of being a bomber while under restraint.

yes it seems i do-

Armed officers opened fire up to six times on the suspect as he hurdled a ticket barrier and raced along a platform at Stockwell station.
    Police screamed at passengers to evacuate and are thought to have shot the suspect as he stumbled on to a train. It is believed the man was killed.

From the Sky site.
    I did love the condescending tone of your post though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Kingsize wrote:

people removing an IPOD from their bags don't usually run from the police to the tube, do they?

Really!

They did that to Irishmen all through the 70's and 80's.
    Would this be in the North? I wouldn't exactly call the NI police force or Army a shining jewel in the entire British Police force.

The Gnome wrote:
    Restraint is sometimes neccessary. Especially if, as Megatron suggested, the suspect is connected to a dead mans switch. If the police force can't show restraint and keep calm then hysteria in the general public will most likely ensue.

If they were chasing him and he hurdled the ticket barriers(as the news reports say) then they could clearly see he wasnt armed with a "dead mans switch".
    It seems like he was running for the train to detonate it so they had very little choice.

Arabel wrote:
    You dont have 10 armed undercover police officers chasing after you through a tube station for taking an ipod out of a bag. If it was, why would he run?
    Personally, if someone pulled a gun on me, and told me to freeze, I think my first reaction would be to, em...freeze, whether I knew they were police officers or not.

The very fact that he ran says something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

TBH England deserves everything it gets for joining Bushes so called war on terror. What they have done over in Iraq is a thousand times worse than anything the so called terrorists have done in England. Now i'm not saying killing innocent people is right but they have brought it upon themselves. I feel sorry for the millions of asians living in England. They are racist enough as it is without thiese bombings giving them more excuses to firebomb asian shops and abuse asian people living there.

seamus wrote:
    Personally, if someone pulled a gun on me, and told me to freeze, I think my first reaction would be to, em...freeze, whether I knew they were police officers or not.

The very fact that he ran says something.
    The news articles were saying something about his involvement in yesterdays attempted bombings so id say they had some intelligence on him.Maybe they were keeping an eye out for him.

BloodBath wrote:
    TBH England deserves everything it gets for joining Bushes so called war on terror. What they have done over in Iraq is a thousand times worse than anything the so called terrorists have done in England. Now i'm not saying killing innocent people is right but they have brought it upon themselves. I feel sorry for the millions of asians living in England. They are racist enough as it is without thiese bombings giving them more excuses to firebomb asian shops and abuse asian people living there.

Theres some great articles on here which explain the situation.Stating that the bombings are a direct response to the war in Iraq is ridiculous.That completely oversimplifies the situation.You should read up about it.I actually had the same sort of view until i started reading up and not just listening to the anti war protestors view.Its a complicated situation.Its not just War related.
    Not that i agree with the war at all.

Spiked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭shellby

it's all very skattered i think i'll wait a while to see what really happened

The news articles were saying something about his involvement in yesterdays attempted bombings so id say they had some intelligence on him.Maybe they were keeping an eye out for him.
    Well, gangs of armed police officers don't just roam the streets of London. It's more than reasonable to assume they were acting on some kind of intelligence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭Big Ears

BloodBath wrote:
    Now i'm not saying killing innocent people is right but they have brought it upon themselves.

If they are innocent they have not brought it upon themselves , some people just can't seperate a government with its people .

"people removing an IPOD from their bags don't usually run from the police to the tube, do they?"

i know a girl whos dad was shot while painting a roof in belfast cos the cops thought he was a sniper

seamus wrote:
    Well, gangs of armed police officers don't just roam the streets of London. It's more than reasonable to assume they were acting on some kind of intelligence.

Well yes.That was my point.I was responding to people who had been saying things like "maybe he was just taking his iPod out of his pocket"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,989 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Kingsize wrote:
    "people removing an IPOD from their bags don't usually run from the police to the tube, do they?"

i know a girl whos dad was shot while painting a roof in belfast cos the cops thought he was a sniper

Yes but he didn't go into a prone position and aim his paint-roller/brush at people did he ?

still got shot though,
    my point-the guy in downing stYesterday was doing nothing what if they'd shot him?
    BTW the soldiers in derry on bloody sunday were acting on "some kind of intelligence"
    i just dont think shooting someone dead because they are a suspect is the right way to do things especially of you believe the suspect to be carrying a highy volatile explosive capable of being detonated by a stray gunshot.

• Advertisement
Advertisement