Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

End of Days

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

I think we will all die because of a collision with an asteroid, or we wipe mankind out ourselves through nuclear war. Most countries with nukes don't exactly get along with each other now do they.... and the chilling fact is that any of these ideas i have are too much of a possibility to happen, we look at the shows on NGC and see the reality these two have of happening. I don't care what happens, once i'm living good life.

That island has freedom written all over it" Sir, that's Cuba. [url="HTTP://WWW.thesimpsons.com"]look at that smithers!![/url]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭KevDaEdbanger

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ThrAx:
    but the super nova thing WILL kill everything if it happens, so will the big crunch, IF it happens.

nobody mentioned aliens wiping us out yet smile.gif

</font>

Apart from the fact that the sun would need to be about 8 times more masive than it is to go supernova.
    Assuming that a cosmological impact dosen't knock us spiriling into the sun frist, then the World ie Earth will be destoryied when (In 6-20 billion years) the Sun runs out of Hydrogen to full its Fusion reaction. with out the heat of fusion the sun will colapse a little until the presure causes heavier Elements to Fuse. The Energy from this Heavy Fusion will cause the Sun to swell into a red giant. At that point the surface of the sun will be a little further out than Mars and the Earth will have been demolished. Then as Te sun runs out of the Fusionable Elements It will colapse again. This time much further. The Preasure will cause Even Heavier Elements to start Fusing Realising so much energy that the outher layers of the Sun (60-80% of its mass) will be ejected to form a planetry Neblua about the size of our soloar system. The core will be left as a smlodering ball of Heavy Elements called a Brown Dwarf. But The explosion will be no-where near as spectacular as a superNova.

8¬)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Conorisco:
    For the Universe will come to the point of climax when dark matter overcomes dark energy(realy exists)an time will stad still for a moment and the universe will collapse in on itself</font>

I'd be interested to know in your sources for the existence of dark matter, and also an explanation of what dark energy is (as well as the proof of its exiastence).

Our current models of the universe are, to the best of my knowledge, inconclusive about whether or not the universe will keep expanding. Is the expansion momentum sufficient to keep in front of gravity's attraction? I dont think this has been resolved.

Even if it had, and you are correct, I would find it highly improbable that mankind will exist in the timescales you are talking about. We will either have evolved into something beyond recognition, or been essentially wiped out by some other disaster (natural, man-made or otherwise).

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 GIME

Did anyone here about the volcano in the Canary Islands? It was on the news and it said the next time it erupts it will send a giant chunk of rock so far and strong that when it hits the sea, it will cause a tsunami large enough to wipe Ireland off the face of the Earth. Can someone please give me information about the volcano because I want to know how often it erupts.

I AM THE ALPHA AND THE OMEGA

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GIME:
    Did anyone here about the volcano in the Canary Islands?
    </font>
    There is a seperate discussion on that in teh science folder....where I've posted the info youre looking for.

jc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

That aside, here's proof that an Alzheimer's retrovirus is affecting us all (especially math-loving software engineers) and will eat our brains slowly:

Anyone any information on that!? - Never heard of that before....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Bob the Unlucky Octopus

Can't see any proof there kamobe...unless that blank space is your proof. Explain pls :)

Occy

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

it's a quote from yourself in an earlier thread :)
    I should have signalled that with " " or something, my apologies....

I'm just curious what you meant by it, that's all :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭SHAMAN

I'm pretty sure humans will be elimanated b4 d earth will.We'll either evolve into sumting else or perhaps a nuclear war(which we are on the brink of) will wipe all life from da planet.Similar things hav happened b4 it seems, and evolution had to start all over again.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 729 ✭✭✭popinfresh

Even if earth does get destroyed, we're talking a few thousand years up the line..And by then, we'll probably have spread out over the milkyway. And even if we don't, I'm not expecting to live more than 50 years more :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭][cEMAN**

I think you're all forgetting one fact here......

You are all part of my conscious which, on the moment I cease to exist, so will you all. All life on earth will not die - existence as it is will simply cease to....exist.

It will not be global, it will not be universal - it will be complete.

Take your philosophical consciousness arguments to the Humanities board ][cE u spa :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭BoneCollector

all this depends on how humans evolve over the next 100 years or so...
    If we dont evolve then humanity will end before the world does, if we do not get off this planet we will become extinct eventualy

if we are still motivated my material wealth and greed, then humanity will kill its self off by waisting all its resources, poluting the planet and killing off the Ozone layer.
    However... if we evolve beyond all of this then we will want to get the heck of this ball of clay and into space before the planet can no longer support us or the sun goes supernova.
    Then if we can master space travel and colonize some other planets, possibly in another solor system or galaxy, then we will survive quite a long time...
    Then of course there is the ultimate END.
    when the universe runs out and either collapse in on itself or continues to expand out of existance, we will want to be so evolve that we can move between or through space and time, possibly other universes or dimentions.

OK you're talking about human sociology evolving rather than ACTUAL evolution I hope......

I'm actual inclined to believe that your idea MAY happen. reason:

If you look over the past for hundred years at customs society and structure you'll se that you may have had 3-4 generations carrying out the exact same way same customs same way of life....though as time passes on more and more generations are taking less time to change. It's reaching the point where it's no longer grandfather to grandson or even father to son in which the change occurs but rather Older brother to younger brother....

Things are definately changing very quickly at the moment. I however think this is and has been a bad thing since around the 60's as sinse then we seem to have progressed TOO far into technology as a way of life and have become masters of a power far beyond our true understanding

You know that expression you never let a kid have a loaded gun the point not being that it's the kid who kill s but rather the gun.....I dissagree. We as the human race are the child. The gun is of our own creation.

We were not handed it we made it and now we gotta watch we don't pull the trigger on ourselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 So What!

"And all your silver and all ur gold all your goods and posetions will be worth nothing" a Quote from the book of revelations

Think about it the world trade center blows up and the markets close for 4 days.

Think About It :confused:

I am thinking about it - and whoops...sorry gotta correct you.

When the two towers blew it affected share prices yes.....but Gold and silver went up because these are always hordable resources and gneraly if technology ever fails (E-Bomb etc) they will skyrocket as the main trading currency

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 729 ✭✭✭popinfresh

If technology suddenly disapeared, I doubt we'd all kill eachother and become extinct as ][ceman here seems to think. It would be a bit weird, but what do you do in your house when the electricity cuts? Kill people? I think not, it would just be weird and would seriously alter us a bit, but we'd still be ourselves, but without TV n' stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Originally posted by Farls
    Whats the chances of it being biblical???
    Farls

What, like organised religion?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭mayhem#

Originally posted by Conorisco
    For the Universe will come to the point of climax when dark matter overcomes dark energy(realy exists)an time will stad still for a moment and the universe will collapse in on itself.Causing the big crunch altough all time and space exists as one and the universe is always there teorethiclaly (from a observers point of view of course).A new universe will be born unlike anything else maybe even new laws of physics.

"I can't speak for command, but I'm gonna clean the place out" - Jc Denton, Deus EX

Lay of the spliff a bit will ya?

Originally posted by popinfresh
    If technology suddenly disapeared, I doubt we'd all kill eachother and become extinct as ][ceman here seems to think. It would be a bit weird, but what do you do in your house when the electricity cuts? Kill people? I think not, it would just be weird and would seriously alter us a bit, but we'd still be ourselves, but without TV n' stuff

Sorry but WTF are you talking about?

I said that technology has surpassed our ability to fully understand and control it - IE. Nuclear weapons, open market on firearms, Genetic warefare.

Um when the lights go out in my house I do one of 2 things. I shout OMG FFS I WAS IN THE MIDDLE OF A FECKING CLANMATCH DAMN THAT NIE!!!!!

or Just light a few candles and hold the g/f tighter........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

The world will end when someone in Sony manages to release "A Knights tale II".

Don't worry a secret army of warriors have sworn to protect the world from this ever happening though.

I have it on good authority that the world will come to an end when the Universal gravitational constant exceeds 1 by a lot....or when Brittney Spears gets a lifetime achievement Grammy...whichever comes first, I can't honestly say.

Occy

Occy stop listening to the voices - they are EVIL!!!

Advertisement