Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

End of Days

Options
  • 15-07-2001 1:17am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,674 Mod ✭✭✭✭

How do expect the World to end, the scenario and the sort of time frame involved. Bang or whimper?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

Just wondering if you decided on posting this after watching "End of Days" on sky last nite?!?!?.....hehe

Anyways no one knows the answer to this and if they do then their insane.

Farls

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

regressive, "genetically" adaptive virus.

Aids is a pretty good example, but it could be a LOT LOT worse. (Airborne, contact contageous, long incubation, short but fatal attack).

Sweet dreams.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I don't know but I bet there'll be food riots when the environment finally collapses.

smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

Time to move to new zealand and invest in canned food and shotguns I guess..

Teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

perhaps even a bit of the sun going supernova and turning into a black hole.. then we'd all be sucked into that and matter would be compressed to the point where it ceased to exist.. but hey, look on the bright side, this probably wont happen for another 150 million years. if the boffins are correct a bigass chunk of rock will land in the pacific in 2028 (or was that 2030?) and hay presto, we have another event like the one that killed off the dino's. Failing the above, I'd agree with dev. something nice and nasty.. mutates often and impossible to cure.. in fact u wouldnt know u had it till all ure organs liquified and u died smile.gif long incubation, fatal attack.. hmmm, I think we already have something like that.. variant cjd. so the next time ure out at dinner, order the beef!

Its the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine smile.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭BNC

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DeVore:
    regressive, "genetically" adaptive virus.

Aids is a pretty good example, but it could be a LOT LOT worse. (Airborne, contact contageous, long incubation, short but fatal attack).

Sweet dreams.

DeV.
    </font>

Have you read "The Stand" by Stephen King
    /me sneezes *cough*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

Whats the chances of it being biblical???

shady thoughts like

Farls

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,674 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Farls:
    Whats the chances of it being biblical???
    Farls
    </font>
    Oh no, purely either by Man's own hand or Nature dealing from the bottom of the deck. This is a science forum smile.gif.
    I basically starting thinking of this subject in the lead up to the the American's SDI missle testing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Bob the Unlucky Octopus

An astronomic or geological event. An incredibly oversized solar flare, precipitating a magma flow reversal, which in turn is accelerated by the poles changing place, all in tandem to create a simultaneous volcanic event large enough to plunge us into darkness for a thousand years- during which time a natural nuclear winter of ash kills off our arable farmland and causes us to die out in slow, agonizing fashion...

That, or an asteroid hitting us with the force of 3000 times the world's nuclear arsenal. IE- enough to smash this rock to a messy little bunch of quarks, leptons and hadrons.

The evolution of a virus such as the one DeVore describes is very very unlikely. For the simple reason that a virus wants to survive and propagate as much as possible. The AIDS virus actually survives an incredibly long time in its host before killing it, and the flu virus is not fatal. Those are the only two hyper mutagenic viruses that are populous enough at the moment to warrant our attention.

The Ebola virus isn't mutagenic, and even as it is, it's a poorly evolved freak of a virus. It kills its host too quickly to survive for any meaningful period of time- it's only means of long term survival is an incubative state in the African green monkey. This isn't impossible- just very very unlikely to evolve. It's more likely that an asteroid would wipe out our entire solar system- which shows you just how unlikely it is.

But the idea gives Michael Crichton a living, so we might as well keep the ficticious dream alive on the literature front biggrin.gif

Bob the Unlucky Octopus

Well from the words of St Columcill "seven years before the final day Eire (Ireland) will be submerged in 1 foul swoop" I added the 1 foul swoop myself as i cant remember the the exact wording.So the rest of the worl will have a warning and we wont frown.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Hmmm...is this a question about how our planet will die, or how mankind will b ewiped out. Shinji's uber-virus wont end the world....just us smile.gif
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">The Ebola virus isn't mutagenic, and even as it is, it's a poorly evolved freak of a virus.
    <snip>
    This isn't impossible- just very very unlikely to evolve.
    </font>

Heh. Tom Clancy had, in one of his books, a manufactured virus which was a cross of AIDS with Ebola. Scientific possibility - highly unlikely in the real world. However, it does make the very valid point (as did The Stand) that any killer virus is likely to be man-made.

Occy is right in that virii by their nature don't want to get rid of the "happy meals on legs" which keep them around. However, a science lab can change that to some extent.

I tend to side with Occy on how human civilisation will end. My money is on a geological event - perhaps a superstorm leading into a new ice age, or maybe the poles' polarity will reverse again.

Basically, despite our gross estimation of mankinds abilities, I believe that we will not kill the planet, nor will we even kill off ourselves. Mother Nature will show us real power, and destroy what we know as civilisation, but there will still be vestiges of humanity left around. Who knows from there.

jc

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

large rock, travelling v.fast, earth in the way....
    how are the weakest link, goodbye.

actully i read a book a while ago about the statistical probabitty of earth getting hit by a global killer. it seems we were due one about 15million years ago (but thats just based on the maths)

Gah Dav!! Keep your ugly lil' Vogons(and their Gag Halfrunt-prompted hyperspace bypasses) OUT of my board biggrin.gif

Or I'll set Agrajag on ya- and we both know just how hard he is to get rid of...

Back on topic- sure, a manmade virus might cause trouble- but I highly doubt we could create a stable yet mutagenic virus in such an insignificant period of time on an evolutionary scale. There is no RNA sequence that makes a virus mutagenic- it's far more complicated than that, and involves repressor proteins, disulfide cross-bridge avulsions and other obscenely complicated conformational biochemistry.

What can be said with reasonable certainty is:

1) Executive Orders the Tom Clancy-authored airport novel alluded to by bonkey- is a crap book

2) It's highly unlikely that a man-made virus would ever have the capability to wipe us all out

and

3) A massive geological event precipitated by climate change isn't science fiction- and honestly can't be far off at the rate we're going. Some of the most violent, random and inclement weather ever recorded has been consistently creating unbelievably iterative weather systems across the planet. And George Dubyah's wondering about whether climate change is really happening rolleyes.gif

That aside, here's proof that an Alzheimer's retrovirus is affecting us all (especially math-loving software engineers) and will eat our brains slowly:
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jc:
    Shinji's uber-virus wont end the world....just us </font>

Would you mean DeVore's virus there jc? Or is my Alzheimer's theory gathering momentum? biggrin.gif

Bob the Unlucky Octopus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by rymus:
    perhaps even a bit of the sun going supernova and turning into a black hole.. then we'd all be sucked into that and matter would be compressed to the point where it ceased to exist.. but hey, look on the bright side, this probably wont happen for another 150 million years.</font>
    A few points:
    1: A supernova is, by it's definition, a whole star event.
    2: The sun does not have sufficient mass to collapse into a blackhole, or even to nova/supernova. It is not greater than the Chandraeskar (sp?) limit.

And on the other topic: anyone know anything more about the 2028 asteroid, and is any serious attempt being made to prepare a defence?

Last I heard, it was going to pass *very* close to the Earth, but 30 years is a long time (for us) and I would not rule out the possibility of observational error, or a course delta of a few degrees (due to some phenomenon not factored into the equation).

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bob the Unlucky Octopus:
    Executive Orders the Tom Clancy-authored airport novel alluded to by bonkey- is a crap book
    </font>
    Very crap book. I was wondering of hte practicality of building a mutagenic virus tho - thanks for the additional info.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    Would you mean DeVore's virus there jc? Or is my Alzheimer's theory gathering momentum? biggrin.gif
    </font>
    *Cough*Splutter*Cough* Of Course I meant DeVore. I was just, ummm, testing you. (BTW is deVore taken from David Wingrove's novels?)

As for the big space rock vs climactic event, I think I put my odds on the latter. While earth has been drastically affected by both during its history, it would appear that the space rocks are far rarer than the climate-shifts. In fact, the space rocks are occurring with diminishing frequency, while it would appear that the climatic events are relatively stable in their periodicity.

I read a "pseduo science" book recently called "The Coming Global Superstorm". I call it pseudoscience cause it is so badly written it is hard to believe that there was any serious investigation done by the authors, and they pull in some weird and wacky ideas which has no impact on their core theory, but manages to weaken their position by making them look like slightly more credible versions of Von Daniken.

However, the ideas they present are fundamentally sound, and the scientific community have been growing more and more concerned with the topic presented - that the current warming cycle was due anyway, and mankind has just accelerated it.

The theory goes that global warming will cause massive melting at the poles - which it is. This has the effect of desalinating the large bodies of water (North Atlantic, South Pacific) which in turn will make them more susceptible to temperature changes.

In catastrophicly short order, this could have a cascade effect which "reroutes" the North Atlantic drift (as there is no cold water coming from the North to perpetuate the cycle, and similarly effect the weather patterns in the South Hemishpere.

Net result - a massive self-sustaining storm which could wipe out the Northern hemisphere as far south as Southern Spain. This would last several weeks, and cuold potentially cause a new ice-age (or mini-ice-age) depending on the time of year these events occurred.

There is evidence to *suggest* that a similar storm occurred about 10,000 years ago. This is backed up by the profileration of flood-stories from ancient beliefs (from the Christians to the North American Indian beliefs).

It also lends credence to the prophecies like Ireland being submerged, which most people discard as ravings. The superstorm, were it to happen, would either flood most of Ireland, or cover it in several metres of snow (and temperatures of about -60 deg C). It could do both, in either order.

Funnily enough, a superstorm would be preceeded by large climactic shifts (mostly heating) similar to those seen recently, as well as unusual weather patterns, and rising ferocity of storms.

Makes you think....

jc

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Won't the Earth be demolished to make room for a highway just before the experiment to find the Question is finished?

All the best!
    Dav
    @B^)
    So Bob Hoskins was about to roll a spliff when in walks Dana with her 3 foot Bong
    [honey i] violated [the kids]
    When the Beefy King arrives, I shall be paying homage with Puunack The Receiver in a haze of green curry.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JustHalf:

And on the other topic: anyone know anything more about the 2028 asteroid, and is any serious attempt being made to prepare a defence?</font>

Best person to ask is George Bush. Maybe those nuclear satellite defense systems he's so adament about building will actually be put to good use if we are to be horribly crushed from above somehow..

Other than that, it looks like nothing has been done so either nobody is bothered and were all doomed, or it was another one of those Nostrodamous type scare stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh......... but nostradamous got quite a bit right, even though its a bit vague, a lot of it is quite unsettling if you took the time to read through some of what he wrote. I wouldnt completly dismiss it smile.gif

Moriarty
    mrmoriarty@eircom.net

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

I think Natural selection will end us. Failing that-WW3.

Extract from an interview with Dr. Kanatjan Alibekov was the former First Deputy Director of Biopreparat from 1988 to 1992. Biopreparat was the Soviet Union's biological weapons program. Alibekov defected from the Soviet Union and moved to Washington, DC in 1992.

What kind of agents were thought of as useful in this situation? According to the Soviet Union's philosophy ...

smallpox, plague and anthrax were considered strategic operational biological weapons. In future wars, if Marburg was finished, Marburg was to be used as a strategic weapon. But what was complete and ready for application were the smallpox biological weapons, plague biological weapons and anthrax biological weapons.

So when was the last time u had your smallPox injection lads?

Uh

[This message has been edited by Augmerson (edited 22-07-2001).]

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

The word "Supernova" just wont leave the back of my head...

[VAR]-RopeDrink***** was killed by IOL NoLimits with Headshot from Disconnect

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭CH

BBC1, 12:45am, 23 July
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    00:45
    The Sky At Night
    Crash And Burn: Somewhere in our solar system a sizeable asteroid or comet is probably on a collision course with Earth. Jonathan Tate and Lembit Opik join Patrick to discuss the subject.
    </font>

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Moriarty:
    Aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh......... but nostradamous got quite a bit right, even though its a bit vague, a lot of it is quite unsettling if you took the time to read through some of what he wrote. I wouldnt completly dismiss it smile.gif
    </font>
    Perhaps. But perhaps not.

I am not aware of a single prediction of Nostradamus' which has been used to successfully predict anything. It has all been retroactively applied to events, where people have looked and said "ah - this is what he meant".

For Nostradamus to be considered in any way prophetic or predictive, there would need to be a number of predictions interpreted to forecast events beyond the immediate future, and then show that these were correct.

For example, isnt one of his being used to show how Dubbya was elected (vilage fool). I dont believe for a second that someone could have told us in (for example) 1990 that Nostrdamus was predicting the events of a decade in the future. On the other hand, how many "greatest nations" have been ruled by idiots in their time....quite a few I would hazard.

I am not discounting Nostradamus....simply questioning his accuracy.

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭CriminallyInsane

I think that the end of the world will DEFINATELY be caused by mankind's follies. One possibility is genetically modified plants. Sure they give a higher yield, but research shows that they may mutate, becoming invulnerable to weedkiller and literally "take over" other plants and spread like wildfire, destroying natural vegetation, while being of no benefit to humand of animals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Conorisco

For the Universe will come to the point of climax when dark matter overcomes dark energy(realy exists)an time will stad still for a moment and the universe will collapse in on itself.Causing the big crunch altough all time and space exists as one and the universe is always there teorethiclaly (from a observers point of view of course).A new universe will be born unlike anything else maybe even new laws of physics.

"I can't speak for command, but I'm gonna clean the place out" - Jc Denton, Deus EX

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 GIME

I agree with rymus(his reply is above mine somewhere].An asteroid will probably collide into the Earth between 2028 and 2030.If this doesnt happen we are all going to die around 2070 when the non-existence of oil really starts to take effect.Ill be dead before then so it doesnt matter to me.

I AM THE ALPHA AND THE OMEGA

Good man ureself smile.gif So now we can all spend the next 27 years worrying about being hit on the head by giant asteroids smile.gif Break out the asteroid proof umbrella's

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Lucy_la_morte

I think it depends who's 'world' we're talking about. If we're talking humanity, it'll be hard for anything to take out the whole human race, there'll always be a few left hiding somewhere. As for extinction of all life, that's probably impossible, unless earth gets that toxic/polluted, but then there's life forms that feed on that sort of thing.

Senretsukyaku
    Kikosho!
    SPINNING BIRD KICK

Chun-Li la morte.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

hmm would it be possible to ignite the o zone layer twould look cool for a while till we all get sun burnt.

hmm how would the world end how would the world ... our lovely mega hot core would decide to cool down and we'd all be ****ed.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭ThrAx

but the super nova thing WILL kill everything if it happens, so will the big crunch, IF it happens.

nobody mentioned aliens wiping us out yet smile.gif

im a robot in disguise

• Advertisement

It won't be that hard for the human race to destroy itself either. A simple exchange of less than a third of the nuclear arms of two superpowers would render most of the planet a radioactive wasteland for thousands of years. Cropland would dwindle to nothing, the very soil would be poisoned, and rad levels would persist for a lot longer than people think, wiping the survivors out slowly and painfully via mutative radiation sickness. Climate change could cause such destructive weather changes that the human race may not survive. It's worth remembering that drastic weather patterns occur naturally(we barely survived the last Ice Age)...with our assisting with the exodus of greenhouse gases, the effect could well become so great that we'd see Jupiter-level continental storms.

Pretty disturbing stuff. I wouldn't worry about a supernova though...there are none likely to occur near our solar system for a few million years yet, and a distant one would just about stop at frying satellites. The only losses would be a few distressed military commanders a couple of GPS enthusiasts and brain-rotted satellite-TV-watching kids. Though it would be a shame about the Discovery Channel&NG going kaput smile.gif

Bob the Unlucky Octopus

Advertisement