Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Less than 25% of schools covered by DSL?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

our school has two computer rooms each with 30 computers and were on 64k isdn funny our library has 2mb Dsl on only 4 pcs what a waste

Why don't you use a wireless bridge to make the DSL connection avialable to the computers in the computer room.

Then cancel the 64k ISDN line and the money you will save will easily pay for the wireless gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

our school has two computer rooms each with 30 computers and were on 64k isdn funny our library has 2mb Dsl on only 4 pcs what a waste

60 computers sharing a 64k line!!!!.....is the school too far from the exchange for DSL??

I assume that you are talking about the town library and not the schools library??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

zuma wrote:
    60 computers sharing a 64k line!!!!.....is the school too far from the exchange for DSL??...

This was probably put in place as part of the IT2000 scheme from a few years back. Any school that was connected to the net using a 56k connection was "upgraded" top an ISDN line. Eircom supplied the line and the Gov subsidised it's use. You'll find this type of setup is quite common in a lot of schools around the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

If as we suspect, schools who have access to BB other than Sat were given Sat the we need to find out why! Enquiring mind need to know, and if anyone knows but wants to keep a lid on it PM me or phone me.

Also either eircom covers 90,80 or 70 percent of the poulation or it doesn't.

If not is it fair to take the number of schools capable of receiving BB other than DSL and use it as a working example of current DSL coverage?

John

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

John

pm sent

jbkenn

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭eircomtribunal

jwt wrote:
    Also either eircom covers 90,80 or 70 percent of the poulation or it doesn't.

If not is it fair to take the number of schools capable of receiving BB other than DSL and use it as a working example of current DSL coverage?

John

DSL population coverage is certainly not above a 60% level.

When Eircom speaks of a current 80% dsl "coverage"(or by March 2006 of 90% of lines "DSL enabled") Eircom is intentionally misleading, which in the case of the false 90% claim in the prospectus is a serious issue.

Lines merely originating from dls enabled exchanges, but not capable of carrying broadband signals, are not "DSL enabled" lines! I got this (anyway obvious) fact confirmed when talking to the OECD guy who deals with the OECD data collection. Only lines that are capable of actually bringing dsl to customers are dsl enabled lines. (Neither the fact that the line itself is capable to carry dsl from the exchange to the customer, nor the fact that the line originates from a dsl enabled exchange is in itself enough to make the line a dsl enabled line. Both conditions have to be in place.)

Population coverage is then again lower than line coverage.

The school broadband technology access distribution is surely an indication of current dsl coverage, but here things are more complicated. The tender process would not replicate the dsl coverage. Too many other factors come into play. For example one can assume that SMART had tendered for more dsl school connections, which they then had to change to satellite, when Eircom was allowed to throw the spanner into the LLU process again. We don't know how Eircom had tendered. Had they tendered to connect a lot of schools with dsl, but had asked for too high a price and were outdone by wireless and satellite providers on price?

P.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

BTW: did a quick sort of the list and only about 25% of schools in Dublin are on ADSL.

BTW: did a quick sort of the list and only about 25% of schools in Dublin are on ADSL.
    What is the approx. figure for satellite school connections in Dublin schools?
    P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

If thats not a glaring inditement of eircom's failure to provide adequate infrastructure for DSL...then I dont know what is!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Be nice if people got the phone numbers of the schools and checked them with the online line checker.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

damien.m wrote:
    Be nice if people got the phone numbers of the schools and checked them with the online line checker.

www.goldenpages.ie is your friend for anyone who is interested in checking.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

DSL population coverage is certainly not above a 60% level.

When Eircom speaks of a current 80% dsl "coverage"(or by March 2006 of 90% of lines "DSL enabled") Eircom is intentionally misleading................

P.

Preaching to the converted comes to mind :) Peter, hence why I asked the question about DSL versus the rest question.

If eircom claim whatever figure McRedmond decides to use today, surely that percentage should apply roughly the same to schools????

And given that Sat is way more expensive than DSL (not to mention other limitations) and wireless isn't cheap either once you factor in installation fees surely in a tender process, which this was, DSL should win in nearly every situation where DSL is available to a school.

John

Oh and don't forget the percentage figures you quoted don't factor in that as smaller more rural exchanges ger BB enabled the percentage of lines passing on an exchange basis will decrease :) More grist for the mill eh?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Digital Ireland in the Indo had a big feature article on the (rather slow) rollout today.

Wait till the urban schools find out that they are to be IBB victims, skin and hair will fly I'd say :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭cgarvey

bk wrote:
    www.goldenpages.ie is your friend for anyone who is interested in checking.
    Cheers :rolleyes:
    damien.m wrote:

So it took me about 30mins to check all national schools in Clare, according to the list Golden Pages gave me.

91 schools, of which 12% could get DSL. (45% of those reported by Netsource to be on a DSL enabled exchange managed to pass)

I've attached the spreadsheet, in case anyone else wants to take another county (and use my format/calculations).
    .cg

cgarvey wrote:
    (45% of those reported by Netsource to be on a DSL enabled exchange managed to pass)

55% failure rate for DSL "enabled" schools? That's a shocking figure in itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Simi wrote:
    Trust me DSL is a very low priority in most irish schools. In my school (Summerhill College, Sligo) IT classes were for first years only,
    That is not the norm in most secondary schools.

cgarvey, that is an excellent approach.

This way jwt's suggestion of using the school bb scheme data as source for general bb/dsl availability becomes realilty.

Perhaps people will do it for other counties if you give clearer instruction how to do the list and checking?

P.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

a nationwide availibilty indicator if you wills

I've been chatting with Solair on this matter actually and I think he is going to volunteer to devise a plan for this. I'll cc CGarvey into the conversation too.

We have 40 people on our volunteers mailing list now so if even a few of them help out we should cover this in a short timeframe.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

I dont know if this matters but in these schemes the general thing is that the government gives the school the money, tells them the recommended vendor. Then the school itself can go to that vendor.. or find a better one and submit it, if their submission gets approval they can use it.. I dont think they are locked into the governments choice, worth checking up no?

• Advertisement
Advertisement