Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airpistol with no serial can i get it licenced?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

:rolleyes:

unless you hit someone in the eye with it it would be extremely difficult to hurt someone with it, the word letal would only apply to someone who was allergic to potatoes (in Ireland) or an infant choking on the pellet.

Oh yeah, it's a water pistol too and you should be able to fire caps in the back of it. So if you used paraquat it would be far more lethal or maybe you'd need a fireworks license too..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 F-Corp

Oh "Civil Defence", Well anybody can make a mistake with abbreviated things like that. But only some are big enough to apologize when there wrong.
    I think ive made my point here so.

I'm sorry.
    civdef wrote:
    Right.

Any more pearls of wisdom?

Power Corrupts.

a fireworks license too..

I'm glad you brought that up. It's one of those other things that bothers me.
    Does anyone here know what sections of Irish law relate to the use of
    caps in cap guns?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

You know, I think F-Corp has me all wrong.

I think it's very exciting indeed to be a witness to the making of Irish legal history. I mean, here were were, since the foundation of the Irish State (or at least the introduction of the 1964 Firearms Act), and all of us - firearms owners, gardai, parlementarians, lawyers, judges, shopkeepers, parents, children and the rest of the population- all somehow ignorant of the clear requirements of the law to licence toy guns.

I'm ashamed to be Irish that so many hundreds of thousands of these "firearms" (though we stupidly didn't realise they were such) slipped through the legal net.

Thankfully, F-Corp is doing the state some service, and seeking to remedy this clear breach in the law. I wish him well, and can only hope that his crusade is taken on and followed through relentlessly. My only regret is that we shall have to increase taxes somewhat to cater for the significant increase in the convict population as a result of this, but I recognise that it will be money well spent.

To conclude, it is my earnest wish that F-Corps can stand for high public office, perhaps even be apointed to Minister for Justice. I fear there may be more scandals ahead however. For example, I am worried about the existence of thousands of toy aeroplanes, whos operators do not hold current pilot licences for the type, not to mention the millions of toy cars.

Truly Pandora's Box has been cast open....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 remayz

F-Corp wrote:
    Thanks for that jaycee an Email has been sent and was as follows.

(...)To summarize I would like to see toy air powered guns split into at least three categories.

A. Toy Guns with a power of over 1 joule (should be classed as air riffles as in English law and require a Firearms licence)

B. Toy Guns with a power of under 1 joule (No licence necessary but not to be sold to people under 17)

C. Toy Guns with a power of under 0.2 joule (No licence necessary , can be sold to minors)

(1 joule = The back force of a tennis ball dropped onto a hard surface from 1 metre high.)

With added restrictions as to possession of B type guns in a public place.

(...)

Ill let you all know If i get any response.
    At this point id just like to thank everybody for there input on this matter, and helping me and other collectors get to the bottom of this.

1 joule is too low for Airsoft sniper rifles (which requires heavy bb's for stability and more power for good range). 2 joules is really the lower limit you can ask for.

FYI, a common AEG shooting .20g bb at 300fps : 0,83J

sniper rifle with .34g bb at 300fps : 1.42j.

I know that in back home in France, the common limit for sniper rifles is 400 - 450FPS and we're very close to the 2J limit..

Advertisement