Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movies you just couldn't sit through

Options
  • 13-07-2005 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭

Now I'm a real movie lover, any old crap is watchable to me (god knows how many times I've seen Bring It On, you'd think that I'd be sick of it after two viewings, even with the sweet sweet cheerleaders) but I was just thinking of the one movie I can remember being simply*unable* to sit through. And to put this experience into context, I was on a flight from San Francisco (where I lived at the time) to Hong Kong, 16 hours by myself with very very little to do on the plane full of non-English speakers. The movie? The Truth About Charlie. I just couldn't believe it was possible to film something so horribly awful. I should re-iterate I normally can sit through ANY old rubbish, so this was a memorable experience for me!

Any other movie lovers / those with low standards find themselves in such an situation in the past? What were the offending movies?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

only film ive ever walked out of was "the sum of all fears"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Assault on Precinct 13
    Oceans 12
    Oh and I left the cinema during Kingdom of Heaven.

Utter bollocks, all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,338 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

The Talented Mr Ripply - found it so boring.

But the one film i have left the cinema during because it was so bad is 13 ghosts - that was so poor.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,971 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I usually watch any old rubbish all the way through. The only film that I couldn't bear to watch any further was Junior with Arnie. A satanic cacophony for the visual and aural senses. Fortress 2 came close last night as did Leprachaun 4: in space.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Far From Heaven is the only film I've ever walked out of the cinema from.

Just found completely uninteresting and I'd seen pretty much the same story played before in far better ways.

On a recent trans-atlantic flight I found myself unable to stomach Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow. But if fairness to it that was most like down to the fact that all the dark scenes made it difficult to see on the crappy LCD displays on the airplane.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

I have never walked out on a film in the cinema because it was crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭soma

I left the cinema during 'joe vs the volcano' - I think I was about 16, which says alot cos 16 year olds will usually sit thru any ****e if they've just paid for it..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Yeah, I know it's supposed to be a classic but every time I sit down to watch it there's this painstakingly slow bit about monkeys and then there's a painstakingly slow bit set in a spaceport where one guy says, "John?" and half an hour later someone else says, "What?".

Or at least it felt that way. I'm sure it gets better later on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Earthhorse wrote:

Yeah, I know it's supposed to be a classic but every time I sit down to watch it there's this painstakingly slow bit about monkeys and then there's a painstakingly slow bit set in a spaceport where one guy says, "John?" and half an hour later someone else says, "What?".
    If you ask me it's not a proper film unless it has a painstakingly slow scene involving monkeys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭captain P

ive watched some unbearable crap but the only thing i ever turned off was glen or glenda. never walked out on anything in the cinema though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

13 ghosts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

I have a feeling that this is going to be one of those threads that annoys the hell out of me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,971 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Far From Heaven is the only film I've ever walked out of the cinema from.

You should have stuck it out. One of those films that is worth it in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

About Schmidt, it was brutally depressing, watched half of it and just couldn't take anymore of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Sideways,

Overhyped rim job of a flick

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Although I've never walked out of a movie, I do regret not walking out of 'Rules of Engagement'. It sickened me. Even more so than people putting '2001', 'About Schmidt' and 'Sidways' in this thread...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

the one film i nearly walked out of because i accidentally went to see it thinking it was going to be like Indy Jones was "a passage to India" sheer torture to a 14 year old
    the only film i've turned off on video was "Happiness" it wasn't

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭kinkstr

Debbie does Dallas, didnt really walk out, got what i wanted out of the first 15 minutes.

But seriously i turned off elephant, utter tripe.
    Batman 3 and 4 - why you ask.... joel schumacher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Nidge

kinkstr wrote:
    Debbie does Dallas, didnt really walk out, got what i wanted out of the first 15 minutes.

But seriously i turned off elephant, utter tripe.
    Batman 3 and 4 - why you ask.... joel schumacher

You saw elephant too! I saw it twice, i watched it once with my friend then with my mom, i think it may well be the worst film i have ever seen. Freddy and Jason is also up there, that film ran til 3am or something and took my precious sleep away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Chad ghostal

i can watch almost anything, and i have..
    but i walked out of "a nightmare before christmas"..
    i know alot of people love this movie,
    but i can't stand musicals..
    and (at the young age) i didn't know it was a musical..
    still hate it..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

Mad max (any of them)
    A clockwork orange. I always mean to sit down and watch it but an hour or so in i just get pissed off and watch something else

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Only one I walked out on was Shaft (2000) - was so scarily formulaic and insulting to its audience, everything about brutalised my nerves.

Would have to have my balls nailed to the seat to sit through 99% of the slush romantic comedies. Women are odd, odd creatures.

* Tip rent A very long engagement from the Amelie stable - great stuff & theres romance to keep herself from complaining ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

Jeepers Creepers , i had a nice knap the 2nd half of that pile of pollution

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

Never actually walked out of a film but the Robin Williams remake of The Birdcage was one I wished I did

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

films i wish i walked out of(but didnt):
    bl,,m !!
    alien versus predator
    the sea inside
    a very long engagement :P
    downfall !!!!!!
    and that really annoying russian film with the 2 boys that ixoy loves(damn cant remember the name)

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

I am also a lover of terrible films, but...

I fell asleep during that 15 fifteen minute long psychedelic trip to another dimension in 2001.
    Hypnotic, it was.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

herobear wrote:
    downfall !!!!!!
    and that really annoying russian film with the 2 boys that ixoy loves(damn cant remember the name)
    You didn't like 'Downfall' or 'The Return' :confused: And people here don't like... Oh damn you ionapaul for starting this thread! It's breaking my heart and faith in boards.ie readers :(

• Registered Users Posts: 24,173 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

superfly wrote:
    the only film i've turned off on video was "Happiness" it wasn't
    Out of 5 people that sat down to watch that movie, I was the only one to stick it out, hoping in vain that the end would justify the rest of that terrible movie. It didn't. Shocking waste of an extremely talented cast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

I thought some of you had a decent taste in movies before I started reading this thread.

The only film that I stopped watching in, say, the last 10 years was The War of the Worlds. Not the Spielberg version. This was also released this year but it is set in the time of the book. After 30 minutes I'd had enough and there was 2 1/2 hours left! I found this quote in a review I read on the film "Rex is certain that the sequence involving the Narrator and Ogilvy is, perhaps, the most wooden and staged interaction between two actors in the history of cinema." I couldn't have agreed more. You might be tempted to watch it some time out of curiosity or some love for the book, but don't....ever!

Edit: Just found a review that sums it up and this reviewer couldn't finish it either!

Advertisement