Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I mad??

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

daz42C wrote:
    But now she wants me to go to visit her, but she lives in L.A, and I am only 16, but I love her and she fears we may never meet.. Has anybody got any advice?
    If she is really Spanish then it would make more sense for her to travel to Europe. After all, she can always visit family.

Seriously, however, even if you met, what would happen? You move to LA? She moves to Ireland? Have you considered that, regardless of what age you are?

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭gom

hey Daz

I'd consider going to Spain to meet her there for a week or two. Or else meet her in NY. New York is only marginally more to travel to than Spain but substantially cheaper for here.
    Your only young so my advice is if you want to meet her do. But don't be unrealistic. You can't really run away together and you definitly can't have a long-term relationship. Meet up in Spain or NY. Hang out. Have some fun and keep in touch. Just remember that if you tie your heart to her and don;t keep an open mind about other folks you could ruin the rest of your teenage and young adult years by being hung up on a first love you can never realistically be in a relationship with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Jeez - you're only 16. You'd be better off not going to meet her, moping about for a while and developing a general sense of bitterness towards the world before your next crush. It's something that will stand you good stead in future years!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

ok, say you actually meet up, and like each other etc etc. what then? ur 16 and living on different sides of the world. dont mean to be so pessimistic, but really, where could it go from there?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

am I the only one here who is wondering what parent would allow their 16 year old child out of the country to meet up with some stranger they met on the internet?! :/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

Beruthiel wrote:
    am I the only one here who is wondering what parent would allow their 16 year old child out of the country to meet up with some stranger they met on the internet?! :/

was thinking the same thing tbh, just saw this thread.

have you even had a relationship AT ALL sofar?
    if not, how do you know you really love her?
    I would advise you to be VERY careful in handling this, like, get her to come over here instead.
    If she doesn't then why should you go there?

If you haven't even talked to your parents, then how do you know that they will let you go at all, not even thinking of how you will afford going over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭planck2

Beruthiel wrote:

me thinks not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Kazaanova

Stranger things have been done for women in the past. I'm not sure how you feel about her, but surely if you shes so perfect and special and the one for you and all that, travelling to meet her could wait a year or two? Even if you go, you'd have to come back to Ireland eventually and you probably wouldnt get to see her again for a year or two so why not wait?

I wouldnt mention it to your parents yet, not untill you've made your mind up. Theres no need, you know your own parents better than us, so you can probably tell what their reaction to it would be.

If you could easily afford the trip, and I mean, not even notice the money gone, not scraping it together to be able to go. Then, why not go for it?

Only go if you're dead set on going, and I don't think you are, because if you were nothing any of us could say would change your mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭daz42C

*Page* wrote:
    hey anyone remember coolock lad met a girl on line and fell for her???

now so is his little bro....wow....
    small world!!!

He is my little brother and he is a moran

chuci wrote:
    my god why choose la when you can have spain? at least thats doable and a little more logical. one of my friends met up with a guy she was talking to over the net didnt end up too pretty.anyway at the same time you are only 16 but i guess there is no perfect age to be in love. i all for happily ever after endings but this seems a bit excessive doesnt it?well if you really wana meet her go to spain at least your in europe and a little closer to home. cant imagine your parents being too chuffed bout the situation though. theres my two cents also.best of luck

Ia m just about to tell my Mam, and see what she thinks, also it is not as if I will drop evreything to meet her now, the question was meant to be would it be wise of us to meet soon (i.e a couple of months)
    Seriously, however, even if you met, what would happen?

I don't know, but I would like to find out
    You move to LA? She moves to Ireland?

Well she has already said she would like to in Ireland
    LundiMardi wrote:
    man, you're WAY too young to be going to L.A, how old is this chick? If she's older than 18 i'd stay well away.

First thing's first, you've talked over the net, talked over the phone and seen pics, now its time to get yourself a web cam and talk face to face, thid way you KNOW what she looks like and you will know for sure if you like her, at least you'll see her, her facial expressions and witness how her personality is in real time, rather than what's been typed on a keyboard.

When you've done this then you can MAYBE think about meeting. But for now, that idea is WAY above your station.

She is 17 (6 months older than me). I am currently saving to get a webcam, so is she!

And to the person who asked if I was ever in love? Yes I have

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Son_of_Belial

Daz, you're out of your tree! This happened to me when i was about 18. She was from Connecticut. I met her in England when she was on holiday there, took the boat over and all. She was a lot different in person then on MSN and to be honest she was an idiot. Even more beautiful then her pic in real life, but an idiot all the same.
    to the person who asked if I was ever in love? Yes I have
    Erm... No offence but you're only a kid really... I very much doubt you even fully know what love is... I'd love to hear what your mother says. Jesus, I'd keep you away from the computer for a damn month!

Erm... No offence but you're only a kid really... I very much doubt you even fully know what love is... I'd love to hear what your mother says. Jesus, I'd keep you away from the computer for a damn month!

I am actually afraid to tell my mam, at the moment...but if she banned me from the computer I would go to an internet café..

daz42C wrote:
    I am actually afraid to tell my mam, at the moment...but if she banned me from the computer I would go to an internet café..

Yes, I just told my mam and she said it is my life and my heart and I can do what I want with them but I still have to go to College. I don't know why but she really stressed College :confused: My mam is cool!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Kazaanova

While its very very very very likely he doesnt. Its not impossible, a lot of people have seen true love at 16.

this is the ****!so funny!you the man daz!ill come with you for the craic!does she have any hot friends like the ones you see on the oc?man if she has a friend like summer!im fcuking there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

Yes, to put it plainly you are mad...

Sorry i am not being very nice...no man you obviously have issues, are you lonely or going through any depression because you are allowing a virtual crush to bloom into someting serious, just stick to enjoying the chat online

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

dont think you should go as far as america yer only 16!wait a bit,i dont think you should go but spain would be a way better chioice if you are convinced to go,why not wait a while and do that webcam thing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭cuppa

yes u are mad,your saving for aweb cam,and you want to go to la,get a job first,and a bank account,my grass needs cutting im blond and 16 ;) i like tv and music,,lets meet :rolleyes:

gazza22 wrote:
    Yes, to put it plainly you are mad...

Sorry i am not being very nice...no man you obviously have issues, are you lonely or going through any depression because you are allowing a virtual crush to bloom into someting serious, just stick to enjoying the chat online

Yeah I am lonely, yeah locked up in my room most of the time, the rest I am out on my bike like a fcukin spare muppet! Also I am coming out of a depression that was like real serious

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

It's already been said, but it bears repeating. You really should find a more realistic relationship to pursue romantically, and stop investing so much into this one.

• Advertisement

BuffyBot wrote:
    It's already been said, but it bears repeating. You really should find a more realistic relationship to pursue romantically, and stop investing so much into this one.

Realistically, I have not got a hope in hell, nobody likes me blind girls turn away in disgust and what is wrong with me....I have no confidence, have a fear of rejection, shy, and I am ugly in my opinion.

Why should I have to go through more rejection and pain when she says she likes me for who I am, instead of going out in the real world and getting someone??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

Its a a pickle fo sho'/ I dunno man, you might be just better off lettin it lie. I know it prolly seems like if you dont meet her,the world will implode,but not true (!) Although your ma is keepin an open mind, she might think that its just a thought your having. I remember when I was 16,I had something new every fckin week:- Start up a recording studio, rebuild a car, be a pro magician, all sorts of weird sh*t. But the reality was, I had neither the drive nor the cash when it came down to it.
    Why not stay strictly online friends, if it stands the test of time, wait till your finished your leavin', take a year out and go meet her in LA, do whatever you feel like doing. At that point, the responsibility wont lie with your mam and dad, and you'll be the forger of your own destiny. And even if it doesnt work out, make a similar plan for yourself. Its obvious you want to try things out of the norm, so go for it. It'll be all part of the grand scheme of life and growing up!

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭StonedParadoX

oh god this is bringing back some painfull memories from when i "thought" i was in love online it was great .. you chat for hours.. u think about her for hours .your a kid i was a kid back then tis a sad story but hey . oh man fair play to yeah

personally my opinion ..**** the parent its totally not needed your gonna have to grow up sometime so why not take the risk and piss off to spain

that hype about its a 60 year old granny pedophile thats all bull**** it happens but your a ****ing idiot if it does happen to you and very easily fooled and you deserve to get ****ed ( yes thats MY opinion guys dont like it ?.. then thats tough ) ( i know some of you's are gonna cry over that but get over it ) . iv met some ****in wicked people from the net and iv never regretted it

i'd take the risk if u got the money ..but FIRST get a webcam .. there 30 euros on Elara.ie ..and elara has some good stuff cant fault it there
    Watch her man watch what she does like that dude said

"Yes, to put it plainly you are mad...

Sorry i am not being very nice...no man you obviously have issues, are you lonely or going through any depression because you are allowing a virtual crush to bloom into someting serious, just stick to enjoying the chat online"

very closed mindset u got there mate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

daz42C wrote:
    I have no confidence, have a fear of rejection, shy, and I am ugly in my opinion.
    Thats your problem, right there. You'll never find anyone who can like you unless you like yourself to begin with. I'm not telling you to become a self obsessed toss pot, but self respect goes a long way. People can tell when a person is happy in themselves, and tend to avoid those that they can tell not to be.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Realistically, I have not got a hope in hell, nobody likes me blind girls turn away in disgust and what is wrong with me....I have no confidence, have a fear of rejection, shy, and I am ugly in my opinion.

As someone else said, right there is your problem. I'm sorry if I sound unsympathetic, unfeeling, or patronising - it isn't the case. Almost everyone at your age, including myself, went through the same stuff. Teenagers for the most part are horrible to each other because they're going through plenty of issues. Even the most beautiful/fit/successful people have their insecurities. As you grow older, you'll find that out - and you won't feel half as bad about yourself, trust me.
    Why should I have to go through more rejection and pain when she says she likes me for who I am, instead of going out in the real world and getting someone??

Because, it's easier to be accepting when it isn't real. Virtual relationships allow you to overlook the faults, the incompatibilities, the obstacles - it's fantastic like that. Life isn't really that easy and by f*ck it hurts a lot sometimes. Still better than something that seems real though.

Advertisement