Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm distraught about getting old

Options
  • 10-07-2005 4:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭

I’m distraught. I’ve just realised I’ve outgrown my favourite night club. I’ve been going to the palace on Camden Street since 1999 and now at the age of 21 I’m finally accepting I’ve out grown it.

What should I do? Live in denial and keep going? Or find a new club? Or Stop going to places like this?

How do I know I’ve out grown it? Well, it’s like a teenage disco now. There were rough young un’s there, who drank too much and could hardly walk. There was a group of shams walking around with spiked hair and pink shirts thinking they’re cool. I saw a fat ugly bloke scoring a fat ugly bird on the dance floor, and the first thing he does after locking lips is grab her ass in handfuls (I tried not to notice but they were just too big). There were 2 girls, not the best looking, who kept following me around looking like they wanted to ask me a question, ah bless.

Bottom line, kids have over run my favourite drinking spot and I don’t know what to do. Advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

You're 21 man, are you taking the piss.. lol

I am SO 22 and near death i take it (by your rationale of age)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Indeed.
    You've been going there since you were 15 then? Since 1999, yes?
    And you are giving out about kids in your regular niteclub?
    Pot.Kettle.Black.

troll, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭StonedParadoX

you dont exactly leave me much hope dude

im 20

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You've got to accept that even at the young age of 21 that some places will feel too young for you.

Congratulations, you're starting to grow up when the reality of hideous teenage scoring becomes unattractive to you

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Aren't you a bit old for teenage angst?

Find a new spot, with people you're own age group. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

They can probably squeeze a bit of space for you in the George if you need your fill.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Sure the palace has been ****e since they did those crap renovations and closed the palace. Isnt it just Planet Murphy now? That kip downstairs?

I too used to go their pretty much every week for 1st year and 2nd year in college. Then I stopped needing to score 3 birds a nite to have a good nite.

Might I recommend a nice bar, somewhere like Capitol, Ba Mizu or Dakota.

i dont understand at the age of 21 you can be upset/distraught about getting old man

you got another 60 years ahead of you ( maybe not if you worry Too much )

dont worry about it man

live live to the max live in the present not the future

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'm the living dead as I'm almost 24
    :(
    BRAINS!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Stephanos

The palace has been a hole for ages. I think it always was a hole but now it’s even worse. The older you get the more of a hole you think it is! I stopped going there in 1999 and am amazed it could be anyone’s favourite pub. Go across the road to Flannery's - it’s a great little spot!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

Don't worry about losing your youth. Embrace getting older and don't try to be something you're not. Some people desperately try to cling to your youth... those 50 year olds piled with make-up who end up on the late-late because they're ever so good lookin'... bull****. To be good looking when you're 50 isn't the same as being good looking in your teens. Good looking at 50 is radiating warmth and comfort, not looking good in your lingerie (sorry about the images everyone :D).

Everyone goes through a phase of wanting to be a kid again, but you have to see that you don't REALLY want to be that way, you just haven't learned how to enjoy yourself in your 20's/30's/40's etc.

You probably shouldn't be taking advice from a guy 4 years younger than you though:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

OMG! i'm 25!!!
    i'm a gonner i guess....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I remember when that place was a cinema... If anyone should be worried about getting old it should be me....

actually I am a bit...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

21, look hon go live your life move on and come back and rethink what you have said when you have turned 30. It is not your age at all but your facing that life is change, anything that doesnt change rots and dies. Go make some changes in your life, change can be such a good thing.

is this all in dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

FuzzyLogic wrote:
    Indeed.
    You've been going there since you were 15 then? Since 1999, yes?
    And you are giving out about kids in your regular niteclub?
    Pot.Kettle.Black.

troll, tbh.

hehe i see some irc lovin' passing onto the boards.

thanks for the advice guys. i'll just have to move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Femmy wrote:
    OMG! i'm 25!!!
    i'm a gonner i guess....
    Wanna start buying your coffin soon..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Stephanos

Remember when the Palace used to do drink promos? The govt. passed a law to do with drink promotions and then it closed. It was a dive back then but was just throbbing with students who were all pissed and up for a snog. You could go out with £25, get drunk and have enuogh for a taxi home *nostalgic sigh*.

Remember it for what it was - keep the memory alive in your heart - but move on.

P.S. 22 yo here

i'll never forget the good days.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

There were rough young un’s there, who drank too much and could hardly walk. There was a group of shams walking around with spiked hair and pink shirts thinking they’re cool. I saw a fat ugly bloke scoring a fat ugly bird on the dance floor, and the first thing he does after locking lips is grab her ass in handfuls (I tried not to notice but they were just too big). There were 2 girls, not the best looking, who kept following me around looking like they wanted to ask me a question, ah bless.
    That sounds just like Temple Bar... except there you get *all* ages acting like that !! :D

Dont think you've anything to worry about... 21?!? You're the type that makes me and me mates feel old!! (me 25 btw).
    Lots of club with that sort of shenanegins going on.
    (And there's always Sachs Hotel if you want to get a taste of later life!)

• Advertisement

wandered up to that kip Bucks or something. it was empty. did a quick u-turn and was safely back in the palace 15mins later. which reminds me....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

hehe i see some irc lovin' passing onto the boards.

Hehe. Dude I'm just saying it like it is. Times change, and so must we. Its just the way we are.

(irc lovin? :rolleyes: )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

If you like the palace why don't you try tramco or copper face jacks. same antics just older people.

yeah i may go to coppers. but i'm fond of a bit of boggey boggey to some early 90s chart music, remind me of the kiddie discos which i went to while being a kiddie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭BizzyC

I out-grew clubs when I was 18, at the ripe old age of 20 now, I prefer to sit in a comfotable bar, with some decent music playing (non of this dance carp), where you can actually talk to people.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

old!?
    at 21?!
    you're a goddamn baby for jebus sake!
    things change, get used to it, it's going to happen a lot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

Denial is a river in Egypt I'm currently swimming in.

[/surreal]

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

i went to the palace one night and my friend couldn't get in cos it was over 20's?????

ah the palace and it's anti male stance. so refreshing.

friday was dead in town so that's why i think so many kiddies got in.
    old!?
    at 21?!
    you're a goddamn baby for jebus sake!
    things change, get used to it, it's going to happen a lo

Ber, these things are all relative. If you can remember back, being 21 surronded by 16/17 year olds can be quite significant.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I’m distraught. I’ve just realised I’ve outgrown my favourite night club. I’ve been going to the palace on Camden Street since 1999 and now at the age of 21 I’m finally accepting I’ve out grown it.

The Palace, is that place still going? I used to go there when I was 16.. Im 22 now...never got asked for Id.. I thought it was a pool hall now, is it any good these days? Wasnt a bad spot in its day (or my day as the case may be) ;)

Advertisement