Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I really need some help... very embarassing...

Options
  • 06-07-2005 12:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭

Here's the deal, I have been diagnosed with gender identity disorder. This means that I (most likely)quite literally have a female brain, but unfortunately, a male body.
    I am physically male, and have presented myself as male the last few years except on the rare occasion in Stables or Scholars when it was too dark and drunk for anyone much to tell.
    This is something that's built up in me a long time, but sometime around late last year it became unbearable, and I even started going out as a girl on occasion, just to feel comfortable.
    As you can tell, I'm very thrilled about this mixing with the whole living in Limerick thing.

I stand out quite a bit, and I wouldn't particularily want to look plain, either way. I absolutely couldn't stand that.

I'm about to cry right now, I don't know what to do. Irish people don't have a great history of tolerance for these things, and Limerick is hardly a good place to do it. I don't know how I'm going to explain it to my "class-mates". I actually did make friends with a few... sort of... I don't know what to say.

It doesn't help I'm lonely and have essentially no friends. I don't know what to do. I can't stand living in a fake male shell any longer...

This doesn't belong in the personal problems folder as it is relevant to UL... but seriously, what am I meant to do? I am so lost and alone with no idea what to do... GID is something like 1 in 1000 and people have more information and find out younger these days(though it kills you when you do) surely are are other TSes around, somewhere?

I'm thinking of going back fulltime, without hormones, but with hair removal, and getting HRT as soon as I can... I reckon I have a feminine face, anyway, and I've put on a bit of weight so you can't see my male bone structure so much.
    I want to be seen as an interesting person, but not a total freak.

This is so embarassing but I don't know where else to go... please help, someone?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

Would be more suited to PI forum to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

Yeah, but it's not the problem that's bothering me, it's going back to UL fulltime, if you get me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Jimi-Spandex

Don't really think the problem would be very different if you were goin back to any other college in any other city except perhaps San Francisco.

tbh, you shouldn't really be bothered by people thinking you're a total freak in fairness. If they want to be judgemental like that, fúck em.

I'm not going to lie to you though, it will be incredibly difficult in the beginning but much better for you in the medium/long term.

You'll probably find it much easier to make friends if you're just being yourself, which is what you're doing.

Either that or this is the most imaginative troll ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,536 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Rozie wrote:
    please help, someone?
    Seriously, what exactly are we supposed to do? Help what?

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

Rozie I guess your first step would be to get into contact with UL LGBT society. They are bound to have the information, support and resources you require. Plus it is probably the best place to meet new and accepting people. You'll probably find you are not alone in being scared at coming out to the big bad world. It's time to stop being embaressed about who you are.

UL LGBT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,536 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I dont think so. Ive seen a guy dress up as a woman in the scholars on an ordinary night for no reason, and ive got a feeling that this is the same person.

I dont think so. Ive seen a guy dress up as a woman in the scholars on an ordinary night for no reason, and ive got a feeling that this is the same person.

Bah, don't remind me about that. I was absolutely terrible at it. Now I've had laser and actually learned to use makeup and cover my body shape a bit better. My hair is a few inches longer too, though I had enough of it already I guess.

One night when I was out dressed up, I had some ****er come up to me and ask me what I was wearing, and saying how I was what was wrong with the country(I wasn't aware we were that common) and all that.
    I laughed really hard behind his back though and he looked back and looked displeased at that fact, I don't think he expected me to not burst out in tears or something.
    At least I have the advantage that if a fight breaks out over it, the overbearing jock is going to get the bad end of the stick rather than the funny little transgirl (though I'm actually 5'11).

I mean I'm going to be presenting myself as female, all the time, this time.

During the day, It'll be subtle, I'll probably just dress ind of hippie-ish and wear feminine makeup, sort of a "Make-up your own mind" thing, but dress up more heavily at night, except when I'm staying late.

No, franky, it's not a pisstake, but that kind of hurt my feelings.

I don't know. I'm pretty ****ed up right now. I have to get more laser done, I won't be able to have any stubble grown if I go back FT, which I need for laser. I HATE that. For 3 days I have to be totally male. Ugh.

I'm dying my hair red, it'll detract attention from the rest of me...

This is ****ing hard. I don't know how I'm going to do it, face people... but at the end of the day there's no reason not to. I could wait until I'll never see them again, but I could turn that around and say that I may as well do it now, becuase in 2 years, I'll never see them again.

I'd just really like some opinions or whatever, I guess, and try not to snigger if you see me around not yet being 100% perfectly feminine.

I may just go for the Andro look though, and just use heavy makeup and clothes at night... which should I do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

tbh Rozie, PI is more suited for this.

Going to UL isn't the factor here cos it could be any college in the country.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

On hols - moving to PI

Nukem

kaimera wrote:
    tbh Rozie, PI is more suited for this.

Going to UL isn't the factor here cos it could be any college in the country.

Okay. It's just because of the whole Limerick = stab city thing... I just read a story where a Trans in the US who passed perfectly was beaten and killed when 3 guys found out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Rozie, you really do need to talk to some people who have gone through this before and or have helped people do it.

You need to get their insights, not just on a philsophical or psychological level but also on a whole lot of practical things (like the make-up).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Rozie wrote:
    Okay. It's just because of the whole Limerick = stab city thing.
    Talk to your Student Union's LGBT Officer or Welfare Officer. They should have both local knowledge about Limerick and be able to help you or find you help with any issues you have about the GID.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

I know you are in Limerick, but would you consider coming up to Dublin for the day? There's a place on Capel Street called the Outhouse:

http://www.outhouse.ie/

There's a MtF transsexual girl who volunteers there (actually lives a few apartments down from me) who councils people going through similar transitions. I'm sure she'd give you advice and support.

Victor wrote:
    Rozie, you really do need to talk to some people who have gone through this before and or have helped people do it.

You need to get their insights, not just on a philsophical or psychological level but also on a whole lot of practical things (like the make-up).

Haven't found any TS people in Limerick, really. Wonder if there are any?

1 in a 1000... got to be some, but how many open?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Rozie wrote:
    Haven't found any TS people in Limerick, really. Wonder if there are any?

1 in a 1000... got to be some, but how many open?
    Meh: they may be shy, and not want to "out" themselves. Goto UL's GLB society, and you may find that there are other TS's around.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Rozie
    I am going to post a link to this thread on the LGB forum on the off chance that someone has some ideas for you
    a

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

Have you contacted Belong2?
    They have a transgendered section.
    http://www.belongto.org

I agree with Victor and Shabadu, you need to talk to people who have actually lived through it, or are further on in their journey than you.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Rozie, if it helps I knew a guy many years ago in a very similar situation to yourself. He took a lot of hard crap over the years but now she's doing ok. Last I heard she was in the states living a "normal" life shacked up with a significant other, white picket fence, the lot. It's not much in the way of advice but just to let you know that you may be pleasantly surprised how these things can work themselves out.

You've a lot of hard choices ahead, choices I for one wouldn't like to have, but make the choice to be who you need to be. Look at the woman whose website you posted on another subject in fashion(much abuse you were givin' me too :D ). That, as you pointed out, is someone who is being true to themselves and all the happier for it.

Anyway Good luck and best wishes in whatever you chose to do.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

belongto, the youth group which supports LGBT young people had a talk recently from a lady named Gill who is a male to female transgender person.

you should consider calling Outhouse in dublin and asking to speak with her. She is really nice and friendly and will answer all your questions and give you the best advice for your problem.

I hope you get yourself sorted out soon, so you can live the life you want to live Rozie.

Belongto have a website www.belongto.org and cater for young people aged 18-23. Michael Barron is the youth worker there. I am sure he would be happy to speak to you as well. He is in outhouse most days of the week too.

Email: belongto@eircom.net

Phone: 01-873 4184

• Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭Naos

Dont mind those that dont matter, because those that matter dont mind.

Good luck Rozie.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Rozie,
    Hon, you have a long hard road ahead of you babe, no denying that.
    No matter what you do, there will always be somone that calls you weird.

All you can do, is learn how to get support, and how to ask for it, IRL.

Be very carefull never to put yourself in a dangerous situation, plan your every move as much as you can. Most ppl have the luxury of not having to. You, for the sake of staying alive, do not.

I wish you luck hon, and if you ever need an ear, im here, I lived with a few TV's in my life. But rozie, dont rush, if you rush you fall.

b

Thank you.

And I didn't mean you offense in the other topic, I was going off on a tangent because it made me think of "goth for a bit, then in with the crowd, but I'm still a goth, really" types who have given me a lot of **** on IRC, who really aren't a whole lot better than the "trend" goths in principle, in my opinion.

The same crowd have given me a crapload of hassle for being trans, incidently. IRC isn't too good for me. thought he trans support channels are okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭annR

Rozie

I gotta say that I've always thought TS's were really courageous although I never knew any. I did meet one in the swimming pool changing rooms last year, a middle aged lady who had a really feminine voice but from what I could see of the physique was defo a man at some point.

I'm all for live and let live, anyone who gives you any hassle is really not worth a second thought.

A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Ladypawpaw

Rozie wrote:
    Here's the deal, I have been diagnosed with gender identity disorder. This means that I (most likely)quite literally have a female brain, but unfortunately, a male body.

Doesn't shock or bother me one bit.

Rozie wrote:
    I stand out quite a bit, and I wouldn't particularily want to look plain, either way. I absolutely couldn't stand that.

I want to be seen as an interesting person, but not a total freak.
    someone?

The above comments are quite telling. Why do you care so much about how people "see" you? The most important thing is how you see yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

u have no choice but to care what people think and its just something u need to become comfortbale wit yourself and if u can do that telling people will be easy...are u attratcted to men??? i'm sure other homosexuals would speak quite openly to u about it...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

She's not a homosexual man, she is a straight woman in a man's body. There is a difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭shellby

try and get some professional help or talk to someone who has been through the same thing there have been plenty of suggestions here
    i admire your courage and hope evrything works out well for you

Shabadu wrote:
    She's not a homosexual man, she is a straight woman in a man's body. There is a difference.

Thanks but I'm actually bi XD A little more interested in girls right now, since I need to be around all things feminine and pretty.

You certainly have the right idea though.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Rozie wrote:
    Thanks but I'm actually bi XD A little more interested in girls right now, since I need to be around all things feminine and pretty.

You certainly have the right idea though.

I can see now where the other topic of what group you belong to (goths) is important to you, the reason being it seems that you are having an identity crisis on a much deeper level.
    You seem too concerned with how you are percieved, I'd just go with the flow if I were you and be less concerned about labels (bi XD) and just get on with it.
    Drop the labels and relax, not everyone needs a tag.

• Advertisement

Well, that's important as I'm attracted to both genders. It's not just a "label".

Advertisement