Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watch the Channel 4 Promo for 'Lost'

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

doh.ie wrote:
    However, as a promo for a show that has never aired in the UK before, this is a complete dud... What were the marketing people at Channel 4 on?!
    This teaser trailer was shown in america first though? I can't believe Channel4 had it especially filmed for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

OFDM wrote:
    This teaser trailer was shown in america first though? I can't believe Channel4 had it especially filmed for them.

Nope, this was never shown in the US in promotion or marketing of Lost. This is something Channel 4 filmed/had filmed especially for them for use during the run-up to Lost's UK launch. But really, if this is how the rest of the promotion goes, they shouldn't have bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Also love the fact that when you go to the website displayed at the end of the teaser (channel4.com/lost), you get a 'Page Not Found!'

How informative Channel4 are!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

Have to say as someone who has never seen an episode of Lost, this trailer tweaked my interest more than the RTE trailers. This was swiftly followed by the horrible realisation that I am in fact a pretentious prat! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

basquille wrote:
    Also love the fact that when you go to the website displayed at the end of the teaser (channel4.com/lost), you get a 'Page Not Found!'

LOL ye i noticed that :)

• Advertisement

basquille wrote:

That is odd, considering the promo is supposed to be in cinemas NOW... But I expect the site will have appeared by the time this promo first appears on TV.

Channel 4 site for 'Lost' now online

.. not exactly full of content but it IS online!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

hmm.... it hasnt bben aired in the UK yet and RTE get it first? :o what episode are RTE up to at this stage?

hmm.... it hasnt bben aired in the UK yet and RTE get it first? :o what episode are RTE up to at this stage?
    Currently just after airing Episode 9..

RTE do get most shows before the UK.. typical examples being 'Scrubs', 'Friends' and 'Joey'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭beanyb

I saw it on the tv today. Except it didnt have the voiceover, so it was even more random. It makes sense if you've seen it but I really dont think it's great for a promo of a brand new show.

• Advertisement

ye i saw it too...i thought the one with the dialogue was interesting,but wouldnt do much to get people to watch it,the one on tv has no voice over at all,meaning people will be thinking...wtf?? dancing people with a burning plane in the background.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Syd_Vicious

The promo trailer isn't really great for introducing people to a new series but for those of us who watch RTE and know about Lost there are a few interesting tidbits in there (even if it is only a promo and probably means nothing)

Kate dancing with both Jack and Sawyer

Locke acting as a conductor

Which people are dancing with which and who aren't dancing at all which might mean that the ones not dancing are only bit players in the story (just a guess)

Claire doesn't appear to be pregnant

If small things such as times, numbers, dates, music, names etc mean something to the story then why not do the same thing for the promo too eh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

Maybe the whole idea is to make people go wtf? Then hit them with more usual promos nearer show time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Just saw it on C4 and I think it's a really good advert. It'll make people sit up and say "wtf?" which means that they'll at least tune in for the first episode; which is what it's meant to do. I'd say it's absolutely buried in hidden meanings... I just can't be arsed figuring out what they are.

A variation on the 'Lost' promo posted in the original post... except the ad features no dialogue and a cool piece of music from Portishead!

Download here! (11MB)

Essentially the same sorta idea (dancing on a beach) but much longer and with a couple of new scenes - most notably Charlie doing a strange sorta dance. It's a minute and a half long (!!) which is quite long... and the fact that E4 will be whoring it with ads on every ad-break they take, people will quickly tire of these strange ads!

Although saying that.. i am starting to like these ads more and more! Very bizarre but interesting enough for all us 'Lost' fans to see the characters in a new light!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

Quite Frankly, i think the new ad on E4 is really good.

I';m watching on C4/E4 as my exams last month made me stop watching lost. These ads are making it out to be people suffering dementia/isolation etc. so I hope that the ads ae going to get btter soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Bawpsherep

Hello! New to the boards, long time Lost fan. Ecstatic to see that there's an Irish lost community!

Only happened to find the boards because I was looking for a place to download the Channel 4 promo. Personally, I loved it. It's so very different than the initial promos RTE ran and really grab your interest. And as has been mentioned previously, the promo is layered with a lot of meaning, which those who have seen season one can spot. Still havent gotten a download of it yet, so I'm only goin on what I've seen on tv. Here's my interpretation of some of it:
    - Sun and Jin are dancing together, obviously because they are husband and wife, but during the dance, Jin passes Sun off to Micheal. He has a slightly suprised look on his face but is forthcoming none-the-less. What can be derived from this? Well, as those of us who have seen season one in its entirety know, the marriage of Jin and Sun does eventually break down, which could be represented by how the couple are split up in their dance. Micheal gets involved too as there is that hint of a possible romance between him and Sun.

- Sawyer dances with Kate and Jack interrupts. Quite straight forward really. It's the most obvious love triangle in the series. There is a shot of her dancing alone at the end of the promo, perhaps emphasising that she'd prefer to be by herself?

- Locke conducts the dance. Again, not very deep in meaning. Locke has a huge influence over the group and it's only understandable that he'd be guiding them through this surreal dance. The clever part is that Walt is mimicing Locke as he conducts, a nod to how Walt looks up to him (although this theme does slightly fade out about mid-season, it's still relevent).

- Claire is alone and not exactly participating. She has been a bit of an outsider and its really only Charlie who has taken her under his wing.

- Boone and Shannon dance together. Quite understandable also. But brothers and sisters dont dance together like that, do they? Hmmm

If anyone can think of other such interpretations I'd be happy to hear them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭sephirosis

i had a look at most of what bawpsherep said and agree with it in general (didnt look at your first point it looked like it was going to reveal just a bit too much). anyway i had a look at the clip, but my connexion is awful so i only looked at it in low quality, so excuase any mistakes i might make ;)
    just a few questions:
    -is claire not dancing with boone, while shannon dances with saeed?
    -hurleys in there alright, though seems to do little
    - amyone have any ideas on the bit where we see michael, carrying a briefcase, and he looks wrecked and kind of staggers backwards? also charlies odd dance.

anyway on the whole i have to say i liked the ad. it was strange alright, but oddly dramatic to see them slow dance around the flaming wreckage. it gives just as good an indication to what the series is about as rte's ads i think. they just showed people running, explosions etc, but its just as much a character driven story than action.

*as an afterthought, after its said "one of us is a murderer" and before "all of us are lost", many voices say all of us are...." but i cant make out the word. waht is it?*

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

sephirosis wrote:
    also charlies odd dance.

probably due to
    charlies heroin addiction/cold turkey

• Advertisement

C4 showed the one with the voice over today,I presume they are just easing into it and will actually show trailers with clips of the show as the air date gets closer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

I thought it was great... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Does this add give away something?

Theory about Lost:

They are all dead.

That's not a spoiler just a theory. I have only see the RTE episodes so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

jor el wrote:
    What about the martyr?

Yeah the martyr & saint ones confused me, unless Jack is supposedly the saint.
    sephirosis wrote:
    *as an afterthought, after its said "one of us is a murderer" and before "all of us are lost", many voices say all of us are...." but i cant make out the word. waht is it?*

The word is guilty, reinforcing a theory a mate of mine had that they are all there as punishment for something.

skywalker wrote:
    The word is guilty, reinforcing a theory a mate of mine had that they are all there as punishment for something.

Did someone say that at one point? Jin maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

perhaps they are in purgatory!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭bounceymousey

I thought the ad was really long!!! But at least it doesnt give anything away!!! Bloody Rte and there O2 ad really spoils it for me!!!

Elmo wrote:
    perhaps they are in purgatory!!!!

The producers and head writers have stated in a few magazine articles that the gang are not in Purgatory (though I can see why people think that fits well - the idea of the group being 'cleansed' of their sins and ties to the outside world via flashback, while surviving in a seemingly-supernatural place. To be honest, if the show had not been designed to be long-running, it's certainly not the worst ending in the world. Emotionally, I would have thought this kind of ending might have felt a little like how Quantum Leap finished up.)

They producers also not likely to want to go with a theory - albeit a good one - that came up among fans too quickly. They'll be more keen to twist it so that by the time the show ends, we'll be surprised by whatever is revealed.

(Other theories that have been dismissed include that the characters are part of one person's dream or psyche - along the lines of the movie Identity, I suppose.)

So the island is most likely real, and in the real world.

Advertisement