Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

post your tone

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

Cool thanks,

Well here ya go, 3 small samples. All played using an Epiphone Goldtop played through an mBox using Amplitube for effects.

Clean - as it says on the tin, no effects at all.

Dirty - Slightly distorted crunchy sound

Heavyish - Distortion (and possibly a small preview of my band if the rest like it. ;))

Clicky 2mb

I would have miced up my amp for ya's, but it's an MG, so why waste everyone's time eh? :rolleyes:

I hope to be getting a new amp soon though with the cool pedals too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭-=al=-

its jus some sample thing i done for a pickup, nothin special, but its my lead tone anyways, :) i posted a diff link in another thread but it died, and i duno what to do, so this is under 100kb so there ya go.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

LINKY

Me, playing a bass solo by Stu Hamm. This is my tone achieved through a Musicman and a BodXT.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

Hee, that's pretty good playing ;) The tone is fairly spot on too!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Thank you Feylya, thats very nice of you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

slurms and -=al=- really diggin them tones well done lads...nice technique al

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Beecher

Hope this link works Clickity (New clip which is in key)

The distortion is a ds-1 being d.i'd into cubase through a simple 8 channel desktop mixing desk. The clean is d'i'd into cubase dry though the mixing desk with a little reverb applied after, and the drums are programmed from groove agent.

Thx :) id post somethin better or longer, but i had nowhere to get a link, yousendit never works for me >=( im gettin a posxt next week too! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

just get hosting here and zip your files...u can send up to 5 meg!! was that a podxt al

jcoote wrote:
    just get hosting here and zip your files...u can send up to 5 meg!! was that a podxt al

Cool, didnt know u could do that, i thought there wud be a 100kb limit on file sizes... and nope i didnt record that with a pod,

and it was recorded through audacity with jus a laptop hooked up with a 10 yr old pc mic! ...well the sound was coming from a tsl100 ;)

thats why im gettin tha pod tho, mainly for recordin,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

http://www.geocities.com/archetype04/mysound.wav

Sorry for the brutal playin im tired as fck

its a PoD 2.0 btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

Well, I suppose this can't hurt :)

http://rapidshare.de/files/3498596/mytone2.mp3.html

Down the end where it says "free".

I'll let you guess for yourselves what I'm using. Anyway, it's all in one bit 5 1/2 minute long song, so you'll need to skip through it unless you like listening to this sort of thing(I actually do).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Dude, theres something seriously wrong with the distorted bit...im not commenting on your playing, but the level going in to whatever youre using to record is set far to high...have you tried using a limiter or compressor?

There is a compressor on it...

You're obviously not very familiar with the Fuzz Factory. I love that tone. It's a bit too rough, I've since found one that's similiar but a little smoother. Sounds great with Chorus. I'll try dropping the gain a little. I'm guessing you're used to amp distortion so it probably comes as a shock to your ears :P

That noise is being cause by high gain, feed pitchback, high compresser, and reasonably high gate. That causes the cackly noises. If the input volume was messing it up, the phaser wouldn't sound as smooth as it does.

"the level going in to whatever youre using to record is set far to high..." that could also be another way of saying "The gain is turned up too high..." as they both cause the same thing, essentially. Was using a 70 euro mic too. That's the tone I heard while playing. Nuts, isn't it?

I love my Fuzz Factory. I can't wait until I find my definitive tone with it.

And yeah, my playing was probably **** as I was thinking desperately what to do to demonstrate my new "tone" :P

Listen to Muse, and you'll recognise a lot of the stuff, though not as Trebley.

The level going into your recording device was too high. Nothing to do with gain.
    You were overoading the recorder. In my opinion of course. Again this is not a critisicm of your playing, just a simple pointer, take it or leave it.

I'm not saying you're criticising my playing, I'm just saying that the Fuzz Factory causes that kind of noise on it's own, and that's the noise I heard and chose while playing. If it had been an issue with input levels, the phaser effect would have been broken up and distorted as well as the original tone. Gain is generally caused by clipping, which is what you get with input levels set too high too. So there are times when you won't be able to tell the difference.
    Just a bit of education. :)

The Treble *is* set too high though.

Rozie wrote:
    Just a bit of education. :)

Yeah, thanks very much, you know it all kiddo...you wont be getting any more advice from me...i see why you dont think tone comes from your fingers btw...

Touchy :)

I'm sorry, I just think I know the Fuzz Factory a little better than you do, owning one and semi-knowing Zachary Vex online and all that.

I don't think tone comes from your fingers, because that's not what I or many others define tone as. You can change the sound by the way you play, but the tone comes generally from your setup.

My keyboard would tend to agree with me, as I select different "tones" with a menu, and my playing style doesn't appear to change them unless I set it up to do so with aftertouch or an envelope activated filter(if I had one :P).
    Another word for tone is "timbre".

Playing style *does* affect your tone in terms of how loud or hard you play, but it's not something magical in the fingers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timbre

Will explain it better than I can.

But yeah, tone doesn't come from your fingers. You can affect it with your fingers by how hard you play, but it doesn't "come" from your fingers, it comes from your instrument.

People here self admitedly stick to a guitar and an amp, maybe a wah, maybe a distortion pedal. I don't mean to be a snob, but I have picked up a lot posting on forums where people are really into their sound.

Rozie wrote:
    Touchy :)

I'm sorry, I just think I know the Fuzz Factory a little better than you do, owning one and semi-knowing Zachary Vex online and all that.

I don't think tone comes from your fingers, because that's not what I or many others define tone as. You can change the sound by the way you play, but the tone comes generally from your setup.

My keyboard would tend to agree with me, as I select different "tones" with a menu, and my playing style doesn't appear to change them unless I set it up to do so with aftertouch or an envelope activated filter(if I had one :P).
    Another word for tone is "timbre".

Playing style *does* affect your tone in terms of how loud or hard you play, but it's not something magical in the fingers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timbre

Will explain it better than I can.

But yeah, tone doesn't come from your fingers. You can affect it with your fingers by how hard you play, but it doesn't "come" from your fingers, it comes from your instrument.

People here self admitedly stick to a guitar and an amp, maybe a wah, maybe a distortion pedal. I don't mean to be a snob, but I have picked up a lot posting on forums where people are really into their sound.
    Rozie if you spent more time defining your tone with a decent technique rather than what pedals you use then maybe you wouldn't suck soo much ass.

Sorry to tell you, but you are not a very good guitarist and you have the wrong idea of what makes a good guitarist.

And i don't see how the **** you can say you know something more than voodoo child when you don't even know him :rolleyes:

Rozie if you spent more time defining your tone with a decent technique rather than what pedals you use then maybe you wouldn't suck soo much ass.

Maybe if you spent more time working on your own music, and less demeaning others for the music they make, you'd be a whole lot better too.

And why are you still clinging to the definition of tone I just proved wrong in my last post?
    Sorry to tell you, but you are not a very good guitarist and you have the wrong idea of what makes a good guitarist.

That is your opinion, not fact. Plus, you are attacking me as a musician, and therefore my person, not my music. I'm bemused as to how you can tell that from two or three recordings where I only played backing guitar in a messy stoner jam, and one recording where the purpose of most of the noises I made where to show the full range of my tone, though at least I showed I could play some lead parts, which can be hard when you're trying to do the above.

What is your idea of what makes a "good guitarist"? Someone that knows how to play lots of other people's songs, perhaps? Enlighten me.

There is no right or wrong definition for how to play a block of wood with strings, and it is extremely pretentious of you to claim there is a specific model of what makes a good guitarist.

If I am not a good guitarist, then why have I gotten quite a bit of support from a forum which is made up of guitarists which are no doubt much more experienced than the ones from here? At least somebody enjoyed my music.

The only things that can possibly make a good guitarist are creativity, being able to entertain, and most importantly, keeping true to your own style instead of changing it for people who don't have a clue what they're talking about.

And i don't see how the **** you can say you know something more than voodoo child when you don't even know him

Just enjoying quoting people when they contradict themselves within one sentence. And I'm sorry, but the likelyhood is that he *doesn't* have a Fuzz Factory, and therefore wouldn't understand the types of noises it makes.

Since you attacked me as a "Bad" musician, when there isn't even a real definition for what one is other than one that entertains, which I have done, I am entitled to criticise you as a pretentious one.

• Advertisement

Rozie wrote:
    Maybe if you spent more time working on your own music, and less demeaning others for the music they make, you'd be a whole lot better too..

You haven't even heard any of my music so i don't think you have a clue what you're talking to.
    Rozie wrote:
    And why are you still clinging to the definition of tone I just proved wrong in my last post?..

You haven't proved anything wrong, in fact you're the ONLY one on this whole entire board who thinks such utter bollox.
    Rozie wrote:
    I'm bemused as to how you can tell that from two or three recordings where I only played backing guitar in a messy stoner jam, and one recording where the purpose of most of the noises I made where to show the full range of my tone...

I can tell by your playing whether or not you're in any way a decent musician. You cannot exectute any kind of decent guitar playing, you sound like a complete beginner, you can barely manage a simple chord progression.
    Rozie wrote:
    What is your idea of what makes a "good guitarist"? Someone that knows how to play lots of other people's songs, perhaps? Enlighten me.

There is no right or wrong definition for how to play a block of wood with strings, and it is extremely pretentious of you to claim there is a specific model of what makes a good guitarist.

Unfortunately you're wrong, there is a right and wrong way to play the guitar, there ARE rules to music. You can't make **** up and call it 'music'. I'm not saying the way you play guitar is 'wrong', i'm saying its crap and executed BADLY.

Rozie wrote:

If I am not a good guitarist, then why have I gotten quite a bit of support from a forum which is made up of guitarists which are no doubt much more experienced than the ones from here? At least somebody enjoyed my music..

You seem to make a lot of assumptions, please enlighten me as to how you know what kind of experience is on this board?

You haven't even heard any of my music so i don't think you have a clue what you're talking to.

I could easily argue you haven't heard any of my *music* yet as such, just some random jams.

But I don't need to. You *would* be a better musician, and person, if you concentrated on your own instead of picking on others.
    You haven't proved anything wrong, in fact you're the ONLY one on this whole entire board who thinks such utter bollox.

Correction, me and Wikipedia.
    I can tell by your playing whether or not you're in any way a decent musician. You cannot exectute any kind of decent guitar playing, you sound like a complete beginner, you can barely manage a simple chord progression.

Quite the musical expert aren't we? I suppose you were one of the people who never liked Nirvana because Kurt Cobain could "Barely hold it together". Or even better, you love them, and you're a hypocrite.

Again, we are left with circular logic, and an open definition. What is "decent guitar playing"?

You don't seem to realise that you are one person, this board is one board with a lot of similiar minded people, and you do not speak for the world.

I can't keep a chord progession together? Utter bull****. I have difficulty doing so trying to keep up with Danny, but I can manage to keep some rather nice chord progressions together if I so please. Though I expect you'll find some other problem regardless.
    Unfortunately you're wrong, there is a right and wrong way to play the guitar, there ARE rules to music.

This says more about you than any music I hear from you possibly could.
    You are foolish. There are no rules. There are *guidelines*, not rules.
    You *are* pretentious, you are enforcing your ideals, your rules on others.

Musical theory itself proves you wrong. The name. Musical theory.

If you want to argue against logic and claim that theory = fact, then go ahead. There's a reason Music theory is defined as indefinite.

I'm interested to know what supposed rules I'm breaking, anyway, though I expect you're talking out of your arse at this stage anyway.
    You can't make **** up and call it 'music'.

Actually, yes you can. It doesn't mean it'll be liked or very good, but if it follows any kind of rythmic pattern it's still music. You're coming off as quite the snob.

I think this is just fear that guitar players "Less talented" than you will end up making better music, and all your years learning theory were for nothing.
    I'm not saying the way you play guitar is 'wrong', i'm saying its crap and executed BADLY.

In your opinion. I know plenty of people who would disagree with you. You appear to have terrible problems realising you're not the centre of the universe.

LundiMardi wrote:
    You seem to make a lot of assumptions, please enlighten me as to how you know what kind of experience is on this board?

I've read around plenty, and the forum I go to is a guitar*geek* forum, with many *real* experts, this is one which is far more general.

Yet, somehow, these guitargeeks are nowhere near as stuck up, snobbish and full of themselves as some people here. They are far more open minded. I have argued with them a billion times about one thing or the other, but at the end of the day I still respect their knowledge, and they generally help me with their knowledge instead of trying to hurt me like some people here.

Rozie wrote:
    I could easily argue you haven't heard any of my *music* yet as such, just some random jams.

But I don't need to. You *would* be a better musician, and person, if you concentrated on your own instead of picking on others..

You could be a better musician if you learned how to play guitar.

Rozie wrote:
    Correction, me and Wikipedia. .

*claps hands* :rolleyes:

Rozie wrote:
    Quite the musical expert aren't we? I suppose you were one of the people who never liked Nirvana because Kurt Cobain could "Barely hold it together". Or even better, you love them, and you're a hypocrite..

I never liked Nirvana, and i never thought Kurt Cobain was a good guitarist, but he used his knowledge to his advantage and wrote simple effective songs. However i do think Cobain is a guitar god compared to you.
    Rozie wrote:
    You don't seem to realise that you are one person, this board is one board with a lot of similiar minded people, and you do not speak for the world.

I can't keep a chord progession together? Utter bull****. I have difficulty doing so trying to keep up with Danny, but I can manage to keep some rather nice chord progressions together if I so please. Though I expect you'll find some other problem regardless...

Why don't you actually listen to your track again, you are obviously struggling to keep that progression together.
    Rozie wrote:
    This says more about you than any music I hear from you possibly could.
    You are foolish. There are no rules. There are *guidelines*, not rules.
    You *are* pretentious, you are enforcing your ideals, your rules on others.

Musical theory itself proves you wrong. The name. Musical theory.

If you want to argue against logic and claim that theory = fact, then go ahead. There's a reason Music theory is defined as indefinite.

I'm interested to know what supposed rules I'm breaking, anyway, though I expect you're talking out of your arse at this stage anyway....

I never said you broke any rules, i merely didn't agree with your ''There is no right or wrong definition for how to play a block of wood with strings'', which is in fact wrong.
    Rozie wrote:
    Actually, yes you can. It doesn't mean it'll be liked or very good, but if it follows any kind of rythmic pattern it's still music. You're coming off as quite the snob.

I think this is just fear that guitar players "Less talented" than you will end up making better music, and all your years learning theory were for nothing..

I can safely say i'm not worried about a guitarist such as yourself making better than music than me, not worried at all. ;)
    Rozie wrote:
    In your opinion. I know plenty of people who would disagree with you. You appear to have terrible problems realising you're not the centre of the universe.

ha ha Rozie you're quite up your own arse it's sad to say.

I think over time you've come to realise that you can't really play guitar at all, so you try and hide it with as many pedals as possible, well unfortunately Rozie, pedals mean ****.

Rozie wrote:
    I've read around plenty, and the forum I go to is a guitar*geek* forum, with many *real* experts, this is one which is far more general.

Yet, somehow, these guitargeeks are nowhere near as stuck up, snobbish and full of themselves as some people here. They are far more open minded. I have argued with them a billion times about one thing or the other, but at the end of the day I still respect their knowledge, and they generally help me with their knowledge instead of trying to hurt me like some people here.

Jesus Rozie, no one is trying to hurt you, you're just crying over the fact that pretty much everyone here thinks you're not very good.

And Rozie, if there are no specific model of what makes a good guitarist, then how can there really be any ''experts'' as you so call it? That's a bit contradictory isn't it? What makes them experts and what makes the musicians here NOT ''reall'' experts, you said there is no right or wrong way to play, so why am i not an expert, please do explain, surely everyone must be an expert in their own right?

You could be a better musician if you learned how to play guitar.

Of course I can play guitar, or else I wouldn't have been able to make any noise with it whatsover.
    I never liked Nirvana, and i never thought Kurt Cobain was a good guitarist, but he used his knowledge to his advantage and wrote simple effective songs. However i do think Cobain is a guitar god compared to you.

Howso?
    Why don't you actually listen to your track again, you are obviously struggling to keep that progression together.

I don't think the purpose of that was to show how well I can hold simple chords together, I was just playing random ones. If you really like, I could record me playing a "proper" chord progression, but no doubt you'd have a problem with the clothes I was wearing at the time, or the angle my amp was positioned at relative to the noon shadow of my bed.
    I never said you broke any rules, i merely didn't agree with your ''There is no right or wrong definition for how to play a block of wood with strings'', which is in fact wrong.

ajp.jpg
    ha ha Rozie you're quite up your own arse it's sad to say.

Yes, you're having quite a laugh using my own argument against me. Too bad, unlike me who quoted the instances where it occured, you have nothing to back it up with. Oops.
    I think over time you've come to realise that you can't really play guitar at all,

Maybe over time you will realise that your opinion doesn't constitute fact.
    so you try and hide it with as many pedals as possible,

As many pedals as possible? What the **** are you talking about? I used two or three different distortions depending on what I had with me at the time(and not at the same time), the occasional delay, a phaser. The others I play keyboard and not guitar. I MIGHT have used a wah in one of the ones I removed on my site. OH BOY I AM DROWNING MYSELF IN A SEA OF PEDALS. I do have quite a few pedals, but most of the time I just go with my FF into my amp lately. Since I was demonstrating TONE I used my phaser and delay. But of course, all tone comes from the fingers, I forgot. Man, I can't wait to see your new ring modulating flanger picking technique.
    What a pathetic theory, but I'd hardly expect anything more.
    well unfortunately Rozie, pedals mean ****.

I'd contest that, and propose that what you're saying means ****. And it really does.
    If "pedals mean ****", then why do most *good* guitarists have rigs chock full of lovely little stompbox delights? Maybe because you're still talking out of our arse?

You still haven't told me about this wonderful idea of a "good guitarist". Perhaps because overtime, throughout this argument, you've come to realise it doesn't exist, and you're trying to hide it with as many rubbish attacks on my person and music as possible?
    Jesus Rozie, no one is trying to hurt you, you're just crying over the fact that pretty much everyone here thinks you're not very good.

I'm not crying. Though my eye is waterring because I just had to poke something out of my eye. If only some annoyances were that easy to remove.

This sums up how I feel perfectly.

You are trying to get me to feel bad about myself, but it's not succeeding. Instead, I feel bad about *you*. Get what I mean?
    And Rozie, if there are no specific model of what makes a good guitarist, then how can there really be any ''experts'' as you so call it? That's a bit contradictory isn't it?

Nope. Just that they have more experience and are exposed to a wider range of influences than most of the people here. Plus, you shouldn't attack me over things that would cause your argument to fall apart too, if were true.
    What makes them experts and what makes the musicians here NOT ''reall'' experts,

Well, for a start, they know more than you. Oh, and they don't have sticks up their arses. That helps.
    you said there is no right or wrong way to play, so why am i not an expert, please do explain, surely everyone must be an expert in their own right?

Or perhaps they're just experts on knowing there is no right or wrong way to play, or (Now THIS is an insane thought) just being knowledgable on all the DIFFERENT types of playing instead of just "right" and "wrong" ones? you think in black, white, or in between. Not in colours ;)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

**** that. I am not reading the last few posts. Let me summarise. Rozie and Lundi Mundi banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

feylya wrote:
    **** that. I am not reading the last few posts. Let me summarise. Rozie and Lundi Mundi banned.

Beat me to it. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

I have been messing around with my recording gear today and have a sound sample for those who want a listen. I am playing my 1978 Tokai Les Paul Reborn through my Peavey Classic 50 which is set to Rock setting in the manual with post turned up a little higher. Treble pickup selected. Recorded through Shure SM57 into a Digidesign Mbox and pro tools. I'm still a noob to the whole recording process and dont really know how to edit but sure I think the clip gives a general idea of the sound. Let me know what you think (guitar wise its not great as I havent played electric in over a year but I'm learning again fairly quick) ;)

Emerald By Thin Lizzy

Advertisement