Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crazy price for Student Rail tickets

Options
  • 02-07-2005 12:43pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm planning a trip down to Cork in mid July to partake in some of the Capital of Culture festivities. Since the bus takes 4.5 hours, I thought I'd go for the train route, which will have me down in a more respectible 2.5 hours. I checked on www.irishrail.ie for the prices of a student return to Cork and it's...wait for it...€37!

This is a mad price. The bus only costs €12 return for a student. It's not like the train provides €25 worth of service above and beyond that of the bus. I don't know what kind of students they're targeting. Also, you'd think they would at least make the price more respectable due to the whole Capital of Culture festival going on.

All I can say is: Where's me culture!?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭Thomond Pk

Possibly Irish Rail will re-introduce the 10 euro returns they had last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭MarkoP11

Considering its 56.50 for a 5 day return or 62.50 for a monthly return and the student return is a monthly return 37.50 is a very good price, I'd keep stum the regular punters will give out like mad if they knew the level of discount

The 13:00 to Cork on a Saturday has an awful lot of students, the train is more comfortable, quicker and you can get an awful lot done with a table in front of you

Don't forget the bar either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭rancheros

i'd say prices are only going to get worse, they just bought a fleet of brand new intercity trains due for service i think in 2007 :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭shltter

Ah the poor students why cant they have everything for nothing??

Its so unfair

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

shltter wrote:

Its so unfair
    i think he point is that even with a student discount it is still horendisly expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Ach, you're a student, what have you got to be in a rush for? :D

Cremo wrote:
    i think he point is that even with a student discount it is still horendisly expensive.
    Take the bus then sure it's not like he has to rush back for college

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

STFU ya fool

I got that train for ages, even though its good value in terms of the full whack of 55e its still very expensive

Get the aircoach, it only costs 12 return and takes 4 hours usually and its waaay more comfortable than the train you only save like 1-1.5 hours so are u really in that much of a rush!

I always go with aircoach now anyway. Its a pity that they can offer some competition on the railways too!

jank wrote:
    STU ya fool

I got that train for ages, even though its good value in terms og the full whack of 55e its still very expensive

Get the aircoach, it only costs 12 return and takes 4 hours usually and its waaay more comfortable than the train you only save like 1-1.5 hours so are u really in that much of a rush!

I always go with aircoach now anyway. Its a pity that they can offer some competition on the railways too!
    now can we have the english translation of that

BTW what is the student discount on aircoach

At 12 euro they hardly need one, 6 euro to the airport if you buy the return is some saving on the 30 euro a taxi would cost and with the satelite tracking system on their site they really should be studied and copied by Bus Eireann the muppets that allow private cars to park in their bus stations and then allow the neighbouring streets to be clogged up with their parked buses.

Irish Rail need to think creatively on increasing the load factor on their off peak services, ryanair at 83% load factor have shown what is the difference between profit and loss.

• Advertisement

now can we have the english translation of that

Well i could but my Ann & Barry english isnt up to scratch, now run back to your hole where you came from. Unless you actually contribute something usefull to the thread

jank wrote:
    Well i could but my Ann & Barry english isnt up to scratch, now run back to your hole where you came from. Unless you actually contribute something usefull to the thread

it certainly is not up to scratch I hope you dont need it for college

so what is the student discount from aircoach

shltter wrote:
    it certainly is not up to scratch I hope you dont need it for college

so what is the student discount from aircoach

Have you heard of punctuation, since your that fussy and all ;)

There is none as far as i know but at 12e return what do you expect.

jank wrote:

There is none as far as i know but at 12e return what do you expect.

So you only think students are entitled to a discount if you consider the full price to be expensive.

My honest opinion students are god damn lucky to be getting a discount at all.

Why do students think they are entitled to any discount?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

shltter wrote:
    So you only think students are entitled to a discount if you consider the full price to be expensive.

My honest opinion students are god damn lucky to be getting a discount at all.

Why do students think they are entitled to any discount?

That's just a trolling comment.

Aircoach don't offer a student discount.

dudara wrote:
    That's just a trolling comment.

Aircoach don't offer a student discount.

No it is not why do you think you are entitled to a discount from some companies and not from others

someone has already posted the full price and it is 62.50

student price is 37.50 that is a saving of 25 euro

that is a 40% discount how much more of a discount do you expect

if you still think that is too dear then you should take the bus

But my honest opinion you should be glad they even have a student discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It's at the discretion of the companies in question whether they offer a student discount or not. If they do, then great for the students. If not, then that's fine too.

Iarnród Éireann, Bus Éireann etc, as semi-state bodies, are probably more obliged to offer student discounts than private companies.

These days, I actually prefer to travel to Dublin by aircoach. The buses are spacious, airconditioned, have leather seats, tonnes of footroom, and are more pleasant than a wobbly train full of kids and drunk GAA fans and which ran out of hot water somewhere near Portarlington. If anyone wants to pay E55 for a shoddy service and unguaranteed seat*, then they're more than welcome.

*Though I think that there is now reserved seat booking available on some routes

• Registered Users Posts: 20,943 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Aircoach used to offer students discounts back when it was €30 for a return ticket. But now that tickets are €12, they're as cheap as can be.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

I wish I hadn't mentioned anything about the student ticket as some people are latching onto it and avoiding the issue. Cremo is correct, I think that the normal priced ticket is absolute madness, €62 - sure I could rent a car for 2 days for that. I remember using the Italian transport system for longer intercity journeys and never having to pay that much. The trains were brilliant as well, much more frequent and much more confortable.

Is there any other European country that has similar prices for a similar or even for a better train service?

I don't necessarily think students should get things any cheaper I'm glad for anything we do get and generally businesses offer student prices so they make more money, as they're aware a lot of students don't have that much extra cash. In this case, even after the discount, I'd still consider it way too expensive for what it is.

Aircoach seems like the best option though, leather seats hmmm...

I always thought IE were too expensive even for students. But as I metioned above they have a monopoly and can charge what they want.

You have to consider too that if you want to fly it will cost you 80 return! and that will take you in the region of 30 - 40 minutes!

So value for money is something you dont get from IE

Madness!!

oh shltter STFU!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,943 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Okay a few points. And before I start I do agree that the train is a ripoff.
    €62 - sure I could rent a car for 2 days for that.

You could get a car for €68 alright, but you'd have to pay for petrol on top of that price (Probably another €60). Of course you could argue that the freedom of the car is worth the price of the petrol. And then there's economies of scale: if you've passengers, they can split the price.
    Is there any other European country that has similar prices for a similar or even for a better train service?
    jank wrote:
    I always thought IE were too expensive even for students. But as I metioned above they have a monopoly and can charge what they want.

Actually from what a friend in the UK told me, train prices in England have gone insane since privatization. He says it can cost him £100 return from Leeds to London. I think the price does vary if you book ahead, but it's still pretty expensive.
    jank wrote:
    You have to consider too that if you want to fly it will cost you 80 return! and that will take you in the region of 30 - 40 minutes!

The train is always €55 regardless of peak/off peak, what day you go, how far in advance you get your ticket. The price of planes can vary hugely and it is very difficult to get a cheap flight. As well as that, the 30-40 minutes is only the time from takeoff to landing. You also have to take into account the time it takes to get to/from the airport, checkin time, boarding time etc.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

jank wrote:

Plane, Car, Bus Eireann, Aircoach. How many more choices would you like?

jank wrote:
    oh shltter STFU!

Excellent arguement, well done you. :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

train ticket costs 34 to dub from here....feckin hell ..that hurts me...boourns to expensiveness!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Compared with most european rail operators IE are cheaper per mile for the unrestricted travel, turn up and go tickets they offer. They don't offer off peak and pre-booked discounts.

jank wrote:

That is not quite correct as you have forgotten to mention the taxes and charges, and these fares only apply to a small number of flights with the more desirable flights costing typically 60-80 & tax each way.

Going Out (T Fare)
    1 Adult at € 39.99 EUR € 39.99 EUR
    Taxes and Fees (details) € 19.99 EUR

Coming Back (T Fare)
    1 Adult at € 39.99 EUR € 39.99 EUR
    Taxes and Fees (details) € 14.43 EUR

Total Cost of Flight € 114.40 EUR

There is also the issue of getting to and from both airports which takes significantly longer than getting to or from Heuston or Kent. Then there is the issue of check in, security and baggage collection/weight limits.

JohnR,

I totally agree with the point you are making on the issue of all pricing being an on demand structure. Am I missing something or did ryanair and Aircoach never happen it is past time for IE to wake up to the fact that they are probably losing market share or at the very least not increasing it to their potential. I am all in favour of investment in rail but every measure must be taken to ensure that IE do everything in their power to fill seats particularly at off peak times just like Aer Arran do above.

John R wrote:
    Compared with most european rail operators IE are cheaper per mile for the unrestricted travel, turn up and go tickets they offer. They don't offer off peak and pre-booked discounts.

There was a very successful trial online sales promotion selling off peak tickets out of Heuston at considerable discount last Autumn, given there are few off peak services on most intercity routes its limited

When Cork goes hourly next year all the trains will be indentical so full seat booking will be possible unlike the very limited booking now available. There will be excess capacity to sell and they will have a yield management system setup and tested just waiting to go

The punters are willing to pay the current fare levels which are quite reasonable by international standards, the line carries about 4 million a year and thats on a fairly patchy frequency

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭kermit_ie

MarkoP11 wrote:
    The punters are willing to pay the current fare levels which are quite reasonable by international standards, the line carries about 4 million a year and thats on a fairly patchy frequency

I beg to differ. I travelled first class in a TGV from Paris to Marseille, and it cost me 60 euro, which is 2 euro less than the price of a train to Cork, where you are not guaranteed a seat, and the TGV is waaaaaaaaay more comfortable!

Irish prices are turn up and go and no need to book in advance as is required for TGV services, SNCF have an advanced yield management system so you get some really good value off peak but you can pay through the nose when things are busy. Have a look at London Manchester 180 odd miles trains are packed the fares are obscene

You can't stand on a TGV for a combination of reasons mainly since you have to have a reservation but also high speed trains are weight sensitive so you can't have 20 people standing in a coach they have sensors which shut the train down if it becomes over weight

As other have shown there are plenty cheaper ways to Cork but still the train is jammed and yes booking is available on the bulk of the most busy Friday evening trains

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭enterprise

If you decide to take the bus from Dublin to Cork your paying for a slower, less comfortable service, journey times from Dublin to Cork by bus is: 4hrs 25mins, Train takes on average 2hrs 45 mins, depending on which service you get. When the hourly timetable is launched I reckon all Dublin - Cork services will take 2hrs 40 mins.

Therefore people are quite happy to fork out the relevant fare as the train can get them to their destination in half the time of the bus.

Try turning up at a UK station to undertake an Intercity journey. Then you see Irish Rail fares are quite competitive compared to many Countries in Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Tonight
    PARIS BERCY
    MARSEILLE ST CHARLES
    Journey time: 09h22
    Not sold on the Internet
    Tomorrow
    PARIS GARE DE LYON
    MARSEILLE ST CHARLES
    First Class - Non Smoking
    €122.70