Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Naturism and Irish beaches

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭normar

It's the new year. and with the prospect of a warm Summer ahead we thought we might give this issue of naturism another spin.
    So this is our gentle reminder and request to all again.....

We would love to see naturism being accepted by more people here at home, and to see us Irish coming out of our self imposed shells of shame about our bodies.
    It is really wonderful to be with the one you love and especially to be able to walk naked hand in hand along the sand or swim together, letting the sun and wind dry your bodies. It is what the Summer was made for. Let's enjoy it while we can.

regards..

M+N

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

A tad obsessive about this whole naturist lark are we? Hardly the time of year for even thinking of throwing off one's clothes either.:D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Dontico

in the words of apu, "everybody get naked!"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

normar wrote:
    It's the new year. and with the prospect of a warm Summer ahead we thought we might give this issue of naturism another spin.
    So this is our gentle reminder and request to all again.....

We would love to see naturism being accepted by more people here at home, and to see us Irish coming out of our self imposed shells of shame about our bodies.
    It is really wonderful to be with the one you love and especially to be able to walk naked hand in hand along the sand or swim together, letting the sun and wind dry your bodies. It is what the Summer was made for. Let's enjoy it while we can.

regards..

M+N

I think theres one big reason people don't do it here - People are possibly afraid they'd be seen by someone they know - and aren't comfortable with this.

Maybe in Europe they are comfortable with this or with bigger populations they're just less likely to run into someone they know.

I'd be the same - though I'd probably do it down the country somewhere & definitely abroad I just wouldn't in Dublin/

Other thing - I know some prominent nudist said "nakedness isn't sexy when everyones naked" I'm sorry but I just think it would be!

Wibbs wrote:
    A tad obsessive about this whole naturist lark are we? Hardly the time of year for even thinking of throwing off one's clothes either.:D

Hi ya Wibbs. :)

Nah. We don't think so. When the weathers good it's a great lifesyle. Only right to share this feeling with others who may be interested.

M+N
    ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

normar wrote:
    Hi ya Wibbs. :)
    Right back atcha ;)
    When the weathers good it's a great lifesyle.
    Eh no. I mean best case scenario the temp here might get into the 20's on a very few days of the year. 30 degrees on a beach in Tahiti I can just about see the gig. In fact surrounded by Tahitian maidens in a similar state of disrobement I can definitely see the gig. Then again that might just be me, polluted by unclean thoughts an' all. I am the Exon Valdez of unclean thoughts it seems.

19 degrees on a windy beach in Wexford doesn't really cut the mustard. Smacks of people with grey flecked beards, ramblers, people who eat muesli to be regular and never turn the bloody heat on in their house, so baby penguins don't die and such. I am well acquainted with the breed. Walking in the hills of Ireland in the depth of winter claiming the weather's fresh. Fresh my arse. It's cold. That's why we invented indoors and oilskins.
    Only right to share this feeling with others who may be interested.

M+N
    ;)
    Jesus oul son it's bit early in the day to be talkin about feelings. Perverts I tells ya.:D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,020 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

So it never gets hot enough to go swimming in the sea in Ireland? Oh yes, a speedo makes all the differece temperature-wise!
    Jesus oul son it's bit early in the day to be talkin about feelings. Perverts I tells ya.

How do you make the link from nudity to perversion? Or are you a catholic?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Ikky Poo2 wrote:
    So it never gets hot enough to go swimming in the sea in Ireland? Oh yes, a speedo makes all the differece temperature-wise!
    For a few days of the year warm maybe, for hardy types. Hot no.

How do you make the link from nudity to perversion? Or are you a catholic?
    Regards if you will the smiley at the end. That should clear it up for you.

Wibbs wrote:
    For a few days of the year warm maybe, for hardy types. Hot no.

Regards if you will the smiley at the end. That should clear it up for you.

The smiley reads as "I'm embarassed to have this opinion, but I'll express it anyway"...

Ikky Poo2 wrote:
    The smiley reads as "I'm embarassed to have this opinion, but I'll express it anyway"...
    Riiiight. That would be in your mind then. :o That smiley may have been more along the lines of your imaginings.

I assure you I've never been embarrassed to hold or express an opinion. If one is embarrassed to hold an opinion maybe it's time to change same.

To recap; If someone wants to go around naked I have no particular problem with it in context. I don't fall for the whole "it's natural" bit and nakedness does have more meanings than some will acknowledge. Nakedness itself has different definitions. Some tribal societies are naked to our eyes, but to themselves are not. Some women tribal types have only a thin leather belt that hides nothing yet they feel clothed. Without the aforementioned they feel "naked" with all the extra stuff that may bring. Are they uptight? Nope.

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote:
    Riiiight. That would be in your mind then. :o That smiley may have been more along the lines of your imaginings.

I assure you I've never been embarrassed to hold or express an opinion. If one is embarrassed to hold an opinion maybe it's time to change same.

To recap; If someone wants to go around naked I have no particular problem with it in context. I don't fall for the whole "it's natural" bit and nakedness does have more meanings than some will acknowledge. Nakedness itself has different definitions. Some tribal societies are naked to our eyes, but to themselves are not. Some women tribal types have only a thin leather belt that hides nothing yet they feel clothed. Without the aforementioned they feel "naked" with all the extra stuff that may bring. Are they uptight? Nope.

Possibly.... the yellow one is the one'd I'd have used in you situation... Anyway

Of course it's natural! When was the last tie you saw someone born with clothes on...? As regard tribal communities, points all taken, but the questions is are WE uptight? And I think the very idea that people automatically link nudity with sex says it all.

I've been on naturist beaches. Never seen anything more natual in my life. I've been to life drawing classes with nude models - no sniggereing or innuendo.
    But bring up the subject with the great unwashed in a Dublin pub and out come the prudes and "uptights"'. Do the same in Berlin or Amsterdam, completely different reaction. More mature, accepting, almost as if "what's the issue here?"

Double post?

Ikky Poo2 wrote:
    Of course it's natural! When was the last tie you saw someone born with clothes on...?
    Not a terribly good analogy, but often trotted out in debates such as this. As I've said before many things are "natural" but are not for public consumption depending on the societies mores. Do you go to the toilet in public or have sex? Both "natural" things. Why one thing and not the other. I mean the Romans defecated in communal settings.

Hair is "natural", but to a devout Muslim or Jewish woman she would feel "naked" or unnatural to show hers in public. Do I agree with that? Not really, but it's her right to do so though as it's my right to think naturism has a slightly exhibitionist, fetishistic streak* to it.

Natural's got feck all to do with it. If you're so wedded to the pursuit of the natural, don't cut your hair, don't wear makeup, don't wash, cut your nails, brush your teeth. The list is endless. It seems what is natural to human society varies quite a bit.
    As regard tribal communities, points all taken, but the questions is are WE uptight? And I think the very idea that people automatically link nudity with sex says it all.
    Newsflash, nudity when it concerns sexually mature people does have a link with sex. Why do you suppose human females have permanently full breasts unlike other primates? Secondary sexual characteristic that's why. It's not the only link but it's there. To deny it is as equally daft as saying nakedness is dirty. Put it another way, if I led you through a door by your naked hand, that's fine. If I led you through a door by your naked breast(the mind boggles). Lawsuit. It might not cause much offence to some tribal women, but I'm sure it would to you. Are you the uptight one? Indeed if I led the devout Muslim woman by the hand I may be in trouble too. Different strokes.
    I've been on naturist beaches. Never seen anything more natual in my life. I've been to life drawing classes with nude models - no sniggereing or innuendo.
    A bit of a diff between those two examples.
    But bring up the subject with the great unwashed in a Dublin pub and out come the prudes and "uptights"'.
    Ahh the great unwashed(naturally unwashed I presume). Poor silly people. They're sooooo uptight and you're sooo mature and open. Do you not see how insulting that would appear to those people, just because they don't appear to have a pressing need to get their kit off?
    Do the same in Berlin or Amsterdam, completely different reaction. More mature, accepting, almost as if "what's the issue here?"
    So what? As I pointed out societies differ.

*No pun intended.

Hi all,

The whole purpose of the thread was to try and convince more Irish naturists to practice the lifestyle here in Ireland when the weather is suitable. And we again would like to say to those who are thinking about trying out naturism to go ahead and give it a go. It's enjoyable and especially in the company of others.
    Sure Wibbs has issues with naturism or nakedness and all, but thats fair enough he can work through them himself.
    But we were hoping to generate a bit of support from individuals and couples so that maybe they might join us on our naked adventures on Irish beaches this Summer. Make new friends, experience new feelings of freedom and wellbeing, and just be yourself. That can't be so bad.
    N+M

normar wrote:
    The whole purpose of the thread was to try and convince more Irish naturists to practice the lifestyle here in Ireland when the weather is suitable.
    So basically pimping the lifestyle rather than a debate pro or against?
    And we again would like to say to those who are thinking about trying out naturism to go ahead and give it a go. It's enjoyable and especially in the company of others.
    Yea we get that. Again and again. From the outside it does seem a tad obsessive.
    Sure Wibbs has issues with naturism or nakedness and all, but thats fair enough he can work through them himself.
    Nakedness per se I've absolutely no problem with at all, naturists and some of their reasons for same would hold some issues for me. Frankly if some beardies want to cavort naked on a particular beach, knock yourself out, but don't try to push the idea of it being entirely free from other readings or it's inherent "naturalness".
    so that maybe they might join us on our naked adventures on Irish beaches this Summer.
    Naked adventures? This gets better and better. Volleyball no doubt figures large. I would advise against rope or tree climbing though.
    Make new friends, experience new feelings of freedom and wellbeing, and just be yourself.
    Or take up tai chi or hill walking. You get to keep your kit on. More all year round fun as a consequence
    That can't be so bad.
    N+M
    Is it a debate in humanities though? Maybe the "things to do" forum may be the place for you.

God almighty Wibbs, lighten up there.
    You're going to bust a gasket or something.

Take it easy. Were just a bunch of naturists ok? Were not out to subvert, pervert,destroy, derange, derail, murder, prostitute, ruin, raid, or rant. We just like to get our kit off sometimes.

N+M

P.S. The women in our naturist group are not "Bearded ones". Far from it indeed. So a little more respect there please if you can.

There should be a tongue in cheek smiley. All I'm saying is that nakedness is rarely "just" nakedness. To deny that is in the same ballpark as the "moral" guardians claiming its always about sexuality. Luckily most people fall in the middle on this and are as equally bemused by the moral guardians as by the naturists.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Wibbs...you are just a troll on this thread, If you have nothing positive to contribute to it, why bother saying anything at all?

As this is winter, obviously sea swimming here in the nip isn't possible, but come this summer I'll be doing it as much as possible. It's a great feeling of freedom!:) We Irish need to have a much more mature and enlightened approach to nudity like our continental European cousins.

JupiterKid wrote:
    Wibbs...you are just a troll on this thread, If you have nothing positive to contribute to it, why bother saying anything at all?
    I'm the troll? You should check your definitions. Am I pimping a lifestyle? No. I'm simply replying to the idea that nakedness is somehow more "natural". Do you expect all debate to be positive? you're kidding right? It's amazing how low post count types are jumpin' in on this thread.

normar wrote:
    P.S. The women in our naturist group are not "Bearded ones". Far from it indeed. So a little more respect there please if you can.
    Huh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,254 ✭✭✭✭fits

Jaysus Wibbs, its not such a big deal. If people want to swim in the nip why shouldnt they? You should visit a naturist beach in Europe and see for yourself if its fetishistic or exhibitionist. If you dont want to take part yourself, then dont.. No need to get so worked up about it.

fits wrote:
    Jaysus Wibbs, its not such a big deal.
    I agree believe it or not.
    If people want to swim in the nip why shouldnt they?
    You will notice I've said that....
    Frankly if some beardies want to cavort naked on a particular beach, knock yourself out,
    To recap; If someone wants to go around naked I have no particular problem with it in context.
    etc. etc. etc.
    No need to get so worked up about it.
    I'm actually not. Frankly the strongest emotional state I've worked up to here is bemusement.

Wibbs wrote:
    ........ You should check your definitions. Am I pimping a lifestyle? .................... It's amazing how low post count types are jumpin' in on this thread.

The very fact that you choose the word "pimping" to describe our actions of discusssing and advocating the naturist lifestyle demonstrates clearly what you attituide to us and our lifestyle really is. Abusive.

definitions of a "pimp" something you accuse us of being on a number of occassions on this thread, are as follows:

pimp
    –noun
    1. a person, esp. a man, who solicits customers for a prostitute or a brothel, usually in return for a share of the earnings; pander; procurer.
    2. a despicable person.
    3. Australia and New Zealand. an informer; stool pigeon.
    –verb (used without object)
    4. to act as a pimp.
    –verb (used with object)
    5. to act as a pimp for.
    6. to exploit.

We are none of these things and your careless use of offensive language like this indicates what you really think.

There are no rules on this board against advocating any lifestyle, providing of course it is not done in an offensive way.

Look at what Wibbs have also written,

" It's amazing how low post count types are jumpin' in on this thread."

We will let others judge the "fairness" of that particualr piece of Wibbian democracy.

But back to naturism and its practice on Irish Beaches. We look forward to the warmth of Summer and the pleasure of meeting old naturist friends and hopefully new ones.

M+N

normar wrote:
    The very fact that you choose the word "pimping" to describe our actions of discusssing and advocating the naturist lifestyle demonstrates clearly what you attituide to us and our lifestyle really is. Abusive.
    Calm. Relax. Take it easy. You'll blow a gasket. Seriously it's amazing to me what you construe as offensive. It really is. I have repeatedly said that I give the small one about those who wish to cavort** about naked.

As for pimping anything; so you think the well known MTV televisual programme "Pimp my Ride" is offensive to car owners then? How old are you? Good God Sir, if you're this caught up in the weight of words that have myriad meanings, yet you immediately assume the worst, I would suggest that you should reflect on the mantra of "it's never personal". Trust me that's a biggy***. Look, if i typed "you're a big fat banana", you would go.. Huh?. Why? because it wouldn't mean anything. If you're taking insult from an unseen party who questions your way of thinking, I reckon there's more going on in your head than in mine.

So far on this thread you and others of "The lifestyle" have accused people of being close minded, ageist, porn addled, village idiot types, yet you will find the dissenters are not so rattled by such responses. It seems at least one member of the naturist brigade protests too much.

normar, the jokey term "beardy types" got you all in a tizzy. You assumed it meant a bad reflection on naturist women. What? Hello? What does that tell you? It suggests to the undecided outsider that you've got an issue about this. This does not help your cause. I'm surprised you can't see that. This level of sensitivity is on the same plane as the religious nutters who see any form of nudity as unnatural. This "natural" lark seems to be a common theme. I would suggest that the majority of people look on naturists in much the same way as they look on the repressed, clad in black moralists of all hues. Both have an agenda, that most of us regard with bemusement.
    We are none of these things and your careless use of offensive language like this indicates what you really think.
    Reading minds again. I suppose that comes with the drum banging, cum by ya, at one with nature lifestyle.
    There are no rules on this board against advocating any lifestyle, providing of course it is not done in an offensive way.
    No, but any "lifestyle" is open to debate and believe it or not critique. That would be both in the internet and the real world. What a happily sheltered life you must lead if this isn't something that you don't expect a response to.
    " It's amazing how low post count types are jumpin' in on this thread."

We will let others judge the "fairness" of that particualr piece of Wibbian democracy.
    Maybe it's my suspicious nature, but it does smell a tad of trollism.

But back to naturism and its practice on Irish Beaches. We look forward to the warmth of Summer and the pleasure of meeting old naturist friends and hopefully new ones.

M+N
    Still pimpin', sorry pushing/advoctating the lifestyle? How many members* do you need?

*No pun intended

** Just a term. No judgement. Relax. Be at one with your nakedness in the sunshine. Chance would be a fair thing

*** No seriously. That is a biggy. Nothing is personal. It's only personal if you give it that importance. If you give it no succour, everything you think is an insult is not. Weird but strangely true

But anyway back to the real buisness of Naturism on Irish beaches.
    My partner and I still enjoy naturism and we still regularly go to a number of Irish beaches which are considered naturist tolerant. This tolerant bit is important since there are still no official naturist or clothing optional beaches ( or indeed any areas for that matter) in Ireland.
    This makes Ireland still the only country in Europe without a designated naturist area or beach, and we still find that pretty sad and sorry.
    Why is this? Is the naked human form still considered shameful, repulsive or offensive in our country? Is it that we Irish are not happy or as comfortable with our bodies as the hundreds of thousands of people - individuals, couples and families, who enjoy naturism in the rest of Europe.
    Of course we still don't believe this to be the case, but we still do sometimes wonder when we are enjoying naturism, naked with the sun and warm wind on our bodies why there are such a tiny few people who have discovered this wonderful experience.
    We know for example that there are many Irish who visit and enjoy naturist beaches abroad, but for the life of us we don't know why irish people don't enjoy it at home. And just before you all start to say it's too cold here, that's not true. There are many beautiful warm sunny days in Ireland in which it's a joy to be a naturist.
    So what is it about us Irish that we don't seem to enjoy naturism, something which considered so natural and normal in every other country in Europe.
    It can't be that the Guards are patrolling the beaches to arrest naturists, because we have walked and swam naked on beaches here often and never had any problem. Other beach users who see us don't faint or collapse at the sight of us. They just go past, sometimes with a nod and sometimes a wave but never belegerant towards us.
    So tell us what you think. Why are just a tiny tiny few Irish people practising naturists. We would still love to see more out on our beautiful beaches where there is still plenty of room for all groups of people.
    And finally to those who may still been considering becoming naturists we say do it. You will enjoy it as we do. Still.

Mick and Nora

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

normar wrote:
    So what is it about us Irish that we don't seem to enjoy naturism, something which considered so natural and normal in every other country in Europe.
    It can't be that the Guards are patrolling the beaches to arrest naturists, because we have walked and swam naked on beaches here often and never had any problem. Other beach users who see us don't faint or collapse at the sight of us. They just go past, sometimes with a nod and sometimes a wave but never belegerant towards us.
    So tell us what you think. Why are just a tiny tiny few Irish people practising naturists. We would still love to see more out on our beautiful beaches where there is still plenty of room for all groups of people.
    And finally to those who may still been considering becoming naturists we say do it. You will enjoy it as we do. Still.

I guess they're afraid they'll bump into their ex-principal, Aul Jack from down the road or spinster aunt Nora and both parties in the nude.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,057 ✭✭✭✭looksee

People lie on the beach and toast themselves all over, I dont do that, even in Ireland I dont like lying in the sun and I find just lying on lumpy sand uncomfortable and pointless. Other people can happily spend all day doing just that. I prefer to walk and splash around a bit and poke around in rock pools.

The sun bathers don't get uptight because I don't want to sunbathe, I don't get edgy because theres lots of interesting things to look at in rock pools and the joggers don't want to stop and look.

If you want to swim or lie on the beach or play beach games in the nude thats fine by me, I'm not offended, and you have said yourself that most people are not offended, so why are you looking for your own private beach? Do you fancy Tramore strand? Thats going to be inconvenient for the people who use it normally - would we still be allowed to walk on it in our anoraks in the middle of winter? I'm sure if you gathered on a particular bit of a reasonable sized beach the people who didnt want to look at you would go to the other end and the people who didn't care one way or the other would just carry on as normal. Where's the problem? Why do we (non naturists) have to make lifestyle decisions to make you more confident of yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,595 ✭✭✭✭walshb

normar wrote:
    My partner and I enjoy naturism and we regularly go to a number of Irish beaches which are considered naturist tolerant. This tolerant bit is important since there are no official naturist or clothing optional beaches ( or indeed any areas for that matter) in Ireland.
    This makes Ireland the only country in Europe without a designated naturist area or beach, and we find that pretty sad and sorry.
    Why is this? Is the naked human form still considered shameful, repulsive or offensive in our country? Is it that we Irish are not happy or as comfortable with our bodies as the hundreds of thousands of people - individuals, couples and families, who enjoy naturism in the rest of Europe.
    Of course we don't believe this to be the case, but we do sometimes wonder when we are enjoying naturism, naked with the sun and warm wind on our bodies why there are such a tiny few people who have discovered this wonderful experience.
    We know for example that there are many Irish who visit and enjoy naturist beaches abroad, but for the life of us we don't know why irish people don't enjoy it at home. And just before you all start to say it's too cold here, that's not true. There are many beautiful warm sunny days in Ireland in which it's a joy to be a naturist.
    So tell us what you think. Why are just a tiny tiny few Irish people practising naturists. We would love to see more out on our beautiful beaches where there is plenty of room for all groups of people.
    And finally to those who may have been considering becoming naturists we say do it. You will enjoy it as we do.

Mick and Nora

Depends what naked bodies you are looking at. Some most definitely are disgusting and repulsive and hence should be banned from public view

looksee wrote:
    Why do we (non naturists) have to make lifestyle decisions to make you more confident of yours?
    Nail on the head.

• Advertisement

looksee wrote:

If you want to swim or lie on the beach or play beach games in the nude thats fine by me, I'm not offended, and you have said yourself that most people are not offended, so why are you looking for your own private beach?
    .......would we still be allowed to walk on it in our anoraks in the middle of winter?
    ...... Where's the problem? Why do we (non naturists) have to make lifestyle decisions to make you more confident of yours?

Hi looksee...

First you don't have to make any lifestyle changes, none at all. And of course you would be allowed to walk on the beach at any time in any clothes you wish. And naturists have never looked for a private beach.

The problem is that we naturists, as naturists are not allowed to do any of the things you mention. We are prevented by law, from being nude on any beach anywhere in Ireland, on pain of a criminal prosecution. We are the only country in Western Europe (maybe the whole of Europe) where naturism is a criminal offence on all beaches.

Our request is simple. The government should legislate to allow for just a couple of Clothing Optional Beaches where naturists and indeed everyone else can both sunbathe or explore the rockpools if they wish.

You Looksee can still enjoy the whole coastline any way you wish without making any changes to your lifestyle. We naturists would like to enjoy ours in a similar way but within the law and within the public clothing optional areas.

Hope this helps you see our point of view..

Mick and Nora.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement