Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

War of independence, Munster region

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭McArmalite

Just heard it anecdotally. For instance, a mate from thr Glen of Aherlow told me that in the locality he had a reputation for being a bit of a trouble maker.

Also, he and a few of his mates used stay at my granny's farm when she was a kid. She remembers how he and some of the others had big gold watches.

Just anecdotal and I'm not saying he was an out and out gangster, just that he has a reputation for loving a fight for its own sake as much as anything and wasn't shy about taking advatage of his position in the republican movement to get ahead in life. The book backs up some of this, which I found interesting. It also does show him to be more than the crazy mindless gunman he's sometimes seen as which is even better.
    I'd say in his younger days he would have been a bit of a 'scrapper' outside the local pub etc. But 'scrapping' and "sorting it out man to man" would have been the Irish national sport in those days, people were not as PC as they are today back then :).
    As for the " big gold watches ", at times they were just existing from day to day, hour to hour. I think their's a quote in the book where talking about his and the other volunteers dishevled appearence at the time - When their's £10,000 reward on your head, you don't exactly worry about your appearence". I doubt if wearing a gold watch would have been high on their priorites, nor would they have thought it a good way to impress the ordinary people of Tipp who were sheltering them.

As for " taking advatage of his position in the republican movement ". Well when he was released by the 'Free' State authorities, he was penniless, still suffering badly from his wounds. IRA men who had fought against the 'Free State' were forbidden receiving state income, including 'old' IRA pensions. He was even reduced to writing a begging letter to the Republican movement in America asking could they send him the fare to go thier, even offering to work as a coalman on board the ship, even with his very poor health due to his numerous woundings. As for him or any other of the brave men who fought so well for the country, it's nothing short of begrudery moaning about " taking advatage of his position in the republican movement ". Bit like people whinging when a GAA player makes some money for advertising on TV or writing for a newspaper or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

From what I read, although making a tough stance in Dublin when attacked by britian's puppet army with british supplied artillery to appease the demands of Churchill, the IRA didn't really seem to have the heart to really fight it out with them, exhaustion and apathy had set in it seems.

I think you will find the REAL reason the anti-Treatyites were beaten so easily is that they did not have support from the majority of the people.Obviously there were strongholds in parts of Cork and Kerry,but the vast majority did not support the IRA.Instead they wanted law and order AND peace restored..that is when Oglaigh Na hEireann/Free State Army landed(seaborne) in parts of Cork and in Fenit,Co.Kerry.Plus they were a highly inefficient force whose leaders were in jail,dead or on the run..

cassieoc wrote: »
    Hi I thought you were replying to my request for info on Limerick and the civil war !!

Go into the Granery library in town.EVERYTHING you need is there..then you could check district libraries..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

McArmalite wrote: »
    Some people have said that he embellished his story, well, tell me a soldier who doesn't engage in poetic licence to some extent, even boxers etc do so, I suppose it's our male, macho vainity !!!

To say the least.
    Another interesting fact that comes out in the book, he was a bit of a 'lad' :), drinking, gambling etc and while on the run is beleived to have enjoyed the company of 'loose' ladies in the saucy Monto district of Dublin at the time, hiding in the pub of a fellow Tipperary man whose pub was known to be frequnted by 'ladies of the night'. He even ran a speakeasy in America for a while !!!!

My grandmother and her sister were very close to him, truth be told he was a Ned Kelly type figure, generally wild. If it wasn't for Republicanism he probably would have been a bandit. He also worked as a strikebreaker in America battering union members off picket lines, and he didn't treat his wife the best to put it lightly.
    All in all, he seems to have been a likeable sort, but what a fighter.

I wouldn't call him likable, but he was a very effective guerilla.

eroo wrote: »
    that is when Oglaigh Na hEireann/Free State Army landed

Óglaigh na hÉireann is the IRA, attributing that title to the Free Staters is an insult. The vast majority of Óglaigh na hÉireann and Cumann na mBan rejected the Treaty, Collins and his IRB cohorts then resigned from Óglaigh na hÉireann to set up the Free State Army.
    Plus they were a highly inefficient force

The IRA contained most of those in the Flying Columns and those who did the actual fighting during the war, the Free Staters on the other hand mass-recruited youngfellas and armed them with British weapons.
    whose leaders were in jail,dead or on the run..

Probably because they were being jailed, killed and pursued by Irish traitors armed with British guns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Shutuplaura

I'd say in his younger days he would have been a bit of a 'scrapper' outside the local pub etc. But 'scrapping' and "sorting it out man to man" would have been the Irish national sport in those days, people were not as PC as they are today back then :).
    As for the " big gold watches ", at times they were just existing from day to day, hour to hour. I think their's a quote in the book where talking about his and the other volunteers dishevled appearence at the time - When their's £10,000 reward on your head, you don't exactly worry about your appearence". I doubt if wearing a gold watch would have been high on their priorites, nor would they have thought it a good way to impress the ordinary people of Tipp who were sheltering them.

As for " taking advatage of his position in the republican movement ". Well when he was released by the 'Free' State authorities, he was penniless, still suffering badly from his wounds. IRA men who had fought against the 'Free State' were forbidden receiving state income, including 'old' IRA pensions. He was even reduced to writing a begging letter to the Republican movement in America asking could they send him the fare to go thier, even offering to work as a coalman on board the ship, even with his very poor health due to his numerous woundings. As for him or any other of the brave men who fought so well for the country, it's nothing short of begrudery moaning about " taking advatage of his position in the republican movement ". Bit like people whinging when a GAA player makes some money for advertising on TV or writing for a newspaper or something.

Well you may not like it buts thats the reputation he has in parts of his old stomping ground. As you also pointed out he ran a speakeasy in the States which surely raises questions of involvement in gangsters. In the book you and I both praise highly it mentions that he himself sometimes felt that he was owed a living by the state for his involvement in the War. It gives this as the reason he remained a TD into the 1960's. It also mentions that he was determined never to return to the poverty stricken life on a farm he led in Tipperary as a kid.

As you say, people were far less PC in those days, and I'm not judging the bloke, I think he was a remarkable character, more than his reputation in Ireland today, which is quite mixed, deserves. I don't put him on a pedestal though and I try to see all historical figures as the humans they were, warts and all.

One more thing that might interest you. Francis Stewart who was involved in the Anti - Treaty side mention how it was fashionable for IRA members to put 'ski after the end of the sentence to make it sound fake russian - the phrase 'sure enoughski' drove him mad. Ernie O'Malley noted that in Cork it was all the rage for members of flying columns to pin regimental badges collected from units they fought against and wear them on their lapels . You can easily see this if you go to the Museum in Kildare St and look a Liam Lynch's rifle - As leader he wasn't immune and nailed a cap badge from the Lancers - the skull and crossbones one - to the side of his rifle. You can also see how IRA member loved dramatic poses in photographs with guns prominently on display. When you think about it, as a guerrilla army they would have been better not to have any photos taken of themselves at all. They were all young fellas highly concerned about their their status in society, interested in creating an air of bravado about themselves and their actions and like most people everywhere in the world were interested in their appearance more than you may realise. Personally I think its the most natural thing in the world for a person to do.

FTA69 wrote: »
    My grandmother and her sister were very close to him, truth be told he was a Ned Kelly type figure, generally wild. If it wasn't for Republicanism he probably would have been a bandit. He also worked as a strikebreaker in America battering union members off picket lines, and he didn't treat his wife the best to put it lightly.
    I wouldn't call him likable, but he was a very effective guerilla.

A Ned Kelly type of figure is a good descripition ( BTW, I believe Ned Kelly was voted the Greatest Australian of all time, he's a Mega hero down under ). " He also worked as a strikebreaker in America battering union members off picket lines, and he didn't treat his wife the best to put it lightly. " Haven't come across that in the book, and the book from what I can gather tries to uncover him warts and all, is there any solid reference to this ?? I agree he didn't treat his wife too well, he seems to have been a man's man, drinking, gambling, GAA matches etc. In the book it's mentioned by some of his old friends that "drink was the downfall of him" - wouldn't be the first decent Irishman for that to happen to ??
    Well you may not like it buts thats the reputation he has in parts of his old stomping ground. As you also pointed out he ran a speakeasy in the States which surely raises questions of involvement in gangsters. In the book you and I both praise highly it mentions that he himself sometimes felt that he was owed a living by the state for his involvement in the War. It gives this as the reason he remained a TD into the 1960's. It also mentions that he was determined never to return to the poverty stricken life on a farm he led in Tipperary as a kid.

As you say, people were far less PC in those days, and I'm not judging the bloke, I think he was a remarkable character, more than his reputation in Ireland today, which is quite mixed, deserves. I don't put him on a pedestal though and I try to see all historical figures as the humans they were, warts and all.

One more thing that might interest you. Francis Stewart who was involved in the Anti - Treaty side mention how it was fashionable for IRA members to put 'ski after the end of the sentence to make it sound fake russian - the phrase 'sure enoughski' drove him mad. Ernie O'Malley noted that in Cork it was all the rage for members of flying columns to pin regimental badges collected from units they fought against and wear them on their lapels . You can easily see this if you go to the Museum in Kildare St and look a Liam Lynch's rifle - As leader he wasn't immune and nailed a cap badge from the Lancers - the skull and crossbones one - to the side of his rifle. You can also see how IRA member loved dramatic poses in photographs with guns prominently on display. When you think about it, as a guerrilla army they would have been better not to have any photos taken of themselves at all. They were all young fellas highly concerned about their their status in society, interested in creating an air of bravado about themselves and their actions and like most people everywhere in the world were interested in their appearance more than you may realise. Personally I think its the most natural thing in the world for a person to do.
    Very interesting that about the regimental badges and the IRA. Sort of collecting trophies of war. Allied soldiers did the same, collecting Nazi daggers etc. As for the gold watches - very, very, highly improbable.

" Well you may not like it buts thats the reputation he has in parts of his old stomping ground. " Well, that's the exaxt opposite of my experience when I have asked people from Tipp about him, he's still regarded in high esteem down there, you regularily see pubs with his old wanted poster framed up. I'm not out to try and discredit you, but my experience of asking about Dan Breen and Tipperary people couldn't have been different.

" In the book you and I both praise highly it mentions that he himself sometimes felt that he was owed a living by the state for his involvement in the War. ". Well, as I said before, " As for him or any other of the brave men who fought so well for the country, it's nothing short of begrudery moaning about " taking advatage of his position in the republican movement ". Bit like people whinging when a GAA player makes some money for advertising on TV or writing for a newspaper or something. "It's the very least they deserved. And considering the numerous shootings and woundings he received, I honestly think it very niggardly and small minded begrudgery someone like him. In other countries they would beleive in treating a resistance fighter with a bit of respect, in great little Ireland they beleive in pilloring them. It's all part of guilt complex regarding the british and the unionists that the ruling class and media of this little neo colony still insist on hanging on to.

" He also worked as a strikebreaker in America battering union members off picket lines, and he didn't treat his wife the best to put it lightly. " Haven't come across that in the book, and the book from what I can gather tries to uncover him warts and all, is there any solid reference to this ??

I read that book as well, it's fairly good. To be honest I'm only going on what my grandmother told me, her sister was one of his best friends, they still have furniture belonging to him. He was fairly well off before he died but he gave away a lot of his possesions in old age. He also handed over a number of revolvers for the IRA on his deathbed.
    I agree he didn't treat his wife too well, he seems to have been a man's man, drinking, gambling, GAA matches etc. In the book it's mentioned by some of his old friends that "drink was the downfall of him" - wouldn't be the first decent Irishman for that to happen to ??

Domestic abuse is a big issue for me, there is no excusing it at all.
    when I have asked people from Tipp about him, he's still regarded in high esteem down there,

He is and he isn't like. Members of the RM would be more likely to be wary of the cult surrounding him, having heard the warts-and-all story from old veterans (lots of them in Tipperary). All and all he did some great things and some bad things, but he certainly was a character.

His autobiography also uses the word "I" more than any other published book.

I read that book as well, it's fairly good. To be honest I'm only going on what my grandmother told me, her sister was one of his best friends, they still have furniture belonging to him. He was fairly well off before he died but he gave away a lot of his possesions in old age. He also handed over a number of revolvers for the IRA on his deathbed.

Domestic abuse is a big issue for me, there is no excusing it at all.

He is and he isn't like. Members of the RM would be more likely to be wary of the cult surrounding him, having heard the warts-and-all story from old veterans (lots of them in Tipperary). All and all he did some great things and some bad things, but he certainly was a character.

His autobiography also uses the word "I" more than any other published book.

Where does it say he was invovled in domestic abuse. If it's a " me grandmother " or " an old veteran told me" or "a fella who lived up the road", well that's bollox to be posting on the web as 'fact'. As I said previous - " In other countries they would beleive in treating a resistance fighter with a bit of respect, in great little Ireland they beleive in pilloring them. It's all part of guilt complex regarding the british and the unionists that the ruling class and media of this little neo colony still insist on hanging on to".

" His autobiography also uses the word "I" more than any other published book. " That's a sarcastic statement from one of his jealous detractor's in the book, the autobiograhy was ghost written for him, I don't think he could hardly be blamed for that. As I said, tell me a soldier or boxer whose story isn't embellished.

eroo wrote: »

Óglaigh na hÉireann is the IRA, attributing that title to the Free Staters is an insult. The vast majority of Óglaigh na hÉireann and Cumann na mBan rejected the Treaty, Collins and his IRB cohorts then resigned from Óglaigh na hÉireann to set up the Free State Army.Believe what you want,you can think they are Oglaigh na hEireann if it makes you feel better.Fact is,THE Oglaigh na hEireann(Free State Army/now Irish Defence Forces)were accepted by the the overwhelming majority of Irish people.You see,Collins/IRB were realists who knew the British could crush the IRA in a couple of days fighting.I'm not going into the whole 'stepping stone' thing,as I won't point out the possibilities politically and economically for Ireland had the IRA not murdered Collins:rolleyes:
    To rephrase DeValera's famous quote;the minority had no right to do wrong

The IRA contained most of those in the Flying Columns and those who did the actual fighting during the war, the Free Staters on the other hand mass-recruited youngfellas and armed them with British weapons.And what weapons were the IRA fighting with?German,British etc!

Probably because they were being jailed, killed and pursued by Irish traitors armed with British guns.Or because they were rejecting the will of the Irish people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kreuzberger

Dorothy McArdles Tragedies of kerry is probably the most authoritative account of atrocities comitted by the free state troops in the kerry region . Tom Barrys guerilla days in Ireland is also a must read . It is a clinical warts and all account of the series of engagements in that area , often related dispassionately , explaining of the realities and hardship of that time . It goes into the minutest details , including pathetically scarce amounts of arms and ammunition and men the campaign began with and the clerical hostility encountered . It was later incorporated by the german armys paratroop divisions as an essential part of their officers training course .

Im afraid Dan Breens book is really more of a boys own adventure , enjoyable read but embellished heavily for effect and not anywhere near in the same class as Barrys or those by Ernie OMalley .

Why is it unlikely they had gold watches? Have you ever seen any phottographs of the guy. He liked to dress well, even on the run. He spent plenty of time in Dublin during the War and Collins paid his close operatives very well so I'm surprised you find it surprising.

As for his reputation I Tipp in general, some of it may be Irish begrudgerism and there is no doubt about it.That said, there is no smoke without fire in my experience. If you know people from Tipp who think the sun moon and stars rose from his arse then I believe you, however there is also a folk memory of him around the countryside that is aomewhat different. Rightly or wrongly in the end untimately impossible to say. I guess all that really should matter was that he did his job well during the war and palyed a part in helping to normalise politics after the Civil War by being the first Anti Treaty TD to take his seat.

kreuzberger, I agree about Breens own book. We are talking about an autobiography of him that was published recently. I can't remember the name off hand, McArm will have it if you are interested.

Where does it say he was invovled in domestic abuse. If it's a " me grandmother " or " an old veteran told me" or "a fella who lived up the road", well that's bollox to be posting on the web as 'fact'

My grandmother and her sister met Breen and his wife on an almost daily basis, my grandaunt was one of his best friends, to be honest I have no reason to doubt what they tell me at all. My comment about veterans was relating to the fact that he wasn't as clean cut as you seem to wish he was. Many people involved in the Republican Movement who did amazing things are also complete arseholes on a personal level. That's just the way it is.
    As I said previous - " In other countries they would beleive in treating a resistance fighter with a bit of respect, in great little Ireland they beleive in pilloring them. It's all part of guilt complex regarding the british and the unionists that the ruling class and media of this little neo colony still insist on hanging on to".

In fairness you know well I don't fit into that category.
    As I said, tell me a soldier or boxer whose story isn't embellished.

Ernie O'Malley.

Believe what you want,you can think they are Oglaigh na hEireann if it makes you feel better.Fact is,THE Oglaigh na hEireann(Free State Army/now Irish Defence Forces)were accepted by the the overwhelming majority of Irish people

First and foremost the majority of Óglaigh na hÉireann rejected the Treaty. Collins and a few of his allies on the Executive then left the IRA to form the FSA. Is that such a hard concept to grasp? Óglaigh na hÉireann, meaning Irish Volunteers, is an organisation which preceeds the Free State itself and was always the official title of the Irish Republican Army.

Secondly the Treaty vote was not held in a democratic environment, one fifth of the country was excluded from this referendum and it was also held in the context of a threat from Britain to accept its demands. The last time the Irish people voted as a unit was for an Irish Republic.
    You see,Collins/IRB were realists who knew the British could crush the IRA in a couple of days fighting

They would have needed to use 100,000 troops as well as summarily executing around 2,000 people and incarcerating many more. Considering it was public outcry in Britain itself which led to them easing off can you see them going through the above?
    as I won't point out the possibilities politically and economically for Ireland had the IRA not murdered Collins

Good riddance, himself and his cabal murdered plenty themselves.
    what weapons were the IRA fighting with?German,British etc!

There is a far cry between using weapons stolen from the Brits and weapons given willingly by the Brits, you are really clutching at straws. Why do you think the Brits armed the Free Staters? Because of a love for Irish "democracy"? Or because they were having Irishmen reinforce their agenda in this country?

My grandmother and her sister met Breen and his wife on an almost daily basis, my grandaunt was one of his best friends, to be honest I have no reason to doubt what they tell me at all. My comment about veterans was relating to the fact that he wasn't as clean cut as you seem to wish he was. Many people involved in the Republican Movement who did amazing things are also complete arseholes on a personal level. That's just the way it is.
    Sorry for the abrasiveness and seeming to make it personal, ( I've got to admit, diplomacy is not my strong point), but on this thread alone he's been accused, on hearsay, as "wearing gold watches" and been "invovled in domestic abuse". Sorry but, that's bollox, complete bollox. It's up there with the Eoghan Harris - Micheal Collins was gay theories. But is it any wonder a man gets fed up of the pilloring of anything nationalist. Sorry, but I've come to the conclusion long ago -so much for the 26 co.'s 'Indepenence' ( Jayus, that's another discussion entirely). Maybe Dan shot John F Kennedy and murdered Marilyn Munroe also as well as eating babies etc

In fairness you know well I don't fit into that category.

Ernie O'Malley.
    Agreed, your a decent fella, but still think it's rubbish attacking someone's character with hearsay and innuendo etc, etc. Yeah, Ernie O'Malley wrote an amazing, fair minded book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Some good reading in this thread.

Secondly the Treaty vote was not held in a democratic environment, .... and it was also held in the context of a threat from Britain to accept its demands.

Good post FTA69, I once heard, and I'm not sure if it is true but it does seem most likely, but in an International court of law, the UN, World Court, whatever, like a man been forced to sign a statement under threats and duress of the police, the Treaty had no international standing.

Considering it was public outcry in Britain itself which led to them easing off can you see them going through the above?

Yes, British public opinion was very pro Irish freedom, especially because of the death of Terence McSweeney. ( BTW, I rememeber a Welsh woman proudly telling me, in London of all places, that her father organised a guard of honour as the coffin passed through their Welsh village. This was repeated thoughout nationalist towns and villages across Wales she said.)

And not to mention American opinion. America wasn't the mega world power it is today, but still had a big influence nevertheless. Particularily with britian and the so called 'special relationship' the brits were trying to create. The Dockers, Teamsters and Railway unions, Irish to the core, had passed resoulotions refusing to handle british goods, effectively crippling british trade with America. Irish America was the most powerful lobby in Washington. Could you imagine the reaction if the drunken war criminal Churchill had tried his threats ??

And also not forgetting sympathetic unions and socialists in France, Italy and across the continent ??

Sorry for the abrasiveness and seeming to make it personal, ( I've got to admit, diplomacy is not my strong point), but on this thread alone he's been accused, on hearsay, as "wearing gold watches" and been "invovled in domestic abuse". Sorry but, that's bollox, complete bollox. It's up there with the Eoghan Harris - Micheal Collins was gay theories. But is it any wonder a man gets fed up of the pilloring of anything nationalist

Fair play, I wouldn't take my statement for granted at all if I was you, I'm only a pseudonym on the internet. For me though, I was told this by a close family member who knew Breen intimately, much better than you and I. It's not as if I read it off the back of a packet of cornflakes or anything. I believe my relatives on this issue, that's just me.

sadly breen did get involved in some unsavoury business post conflict . That does not detract from the fact he got well stuck into the British during the war for independence but he did not possess the same strength of character or personal humility like Tom Barry or Ernie OMalley .

sadly breen did get involved in some unsavoury business post conflict . That does not detract from the fact he got well stuck into the British during the war for independence but he did not possess the same strength of character or personal humility like Tom Barry or Ernie OMalley .

Spot on. Barry himself was a very inconspicuous and humble man, apparently he was very shook owing to his experiences during the war.

• Advertisement

he had seen and participated in some dreadful things , the close quarter fighting at kilmichael in particular left him badly shaken . Untill his dying day he blamed himself for the death of IRA volunteers in the engagement who were killed when the auxiliaries made a false surrender . On the same day a comrade whod been wounded in a previous enagagement was killed during a house raid after Barry ordered him to stay home and rest rather than go out with the column , one of his best freinds whod pleaded with Barry to be allowed go with them . Had he taken him with them hed most likely have been alive . All this weighed very deeply on his conscience and tortured him throughout his life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 cassieoc

Thank you , I have been to the granary but not the country libaries , I will check these out as I need info specifically on "Limerick and the civil war "and must be from a Primary source !!

you might want to check this brilliant book on limerick out too . Its free to read online

http://www.limericksoviet.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭csk

you might want to check this brilliant book on limerick out too . Its free to read online

http://www.limericksoviet.com/

I'll have to stick that on my reading list. cheers for the link.

Christ McArm, did you just insult my Granny??!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 cassieoc

Great , Many thanks .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

Has anyone mentioned Gurreilla days in Ireland by Tom Barry? Brilliant account of how the war was fought in West Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

if any of you guys are interested, the community centre galbally co.limerick, have a video interview with dan breen, some of the peeps on the run after knocklong were in the loft of the school, a mrs cummins used to bring food to them hidden inside her clothes, a lot og the peeps involved then have kin alive today

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

old boy wrote: »
    if any of you guys are interested, the community centre galbally co.limerick, have a video interview with dan breen, some of the peeps on the run after knocklong were in the loft of the school, a mrs cummins used to bring food to them hidden inside her clothes, a lot og the peeps involved then have kin alive today

the wife's grandfather and his brother were 2 of the Knocklong group/Galtee Battalion. John Joe O'Brien and his brother Ned. Ned was wounded during this action, eventually making his way to the USA and working with Harry Boland.

http://www.askaboutireland.ie/show_narrative_page.do?page_id=2296

http://www.thewildgeese.com/pages/forgten7.html

there's a section of Behold Aherlow by Michael Lynch available to view in Google Books but the URL is too long to paste in.

The O'Briens used to own Thomond House pub in the village.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Knocklong is definately one of the more 'action man' esque incidents in the war. Another incident which Breen was involved in was 'the Drumcondra incident', when both him and his mate Seán Treacy shot and ran their way through about twenty Black and Tans in the middle of the night. The tans surrounded the house they were staying in, Breen ran through them basically, firing like a madman. He came on to Drumcondra road, jumped the BIG wall into St. Pats college, waddled over the canal (In a great scene in his memoir, he recalls how the river turned crimson red under the moonlight as he looked behind him) Dazed, half dead, he stumbled into a random house where the owners nursed him and left him off to the hospital the next morning. he was lucky as all the adjacent houses where keeping Black and Tans in digs. Amazing story.

Advertisement