Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Stuff happening in the city

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 your my lady

Does anyone know how one would find out what shops are going into the crescent SC extention? is there a website?

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

As a Cork girl peeping onto the Limerick site (nothing like a bit of competition) I've gotta disagree with you re. the Culture side of things - there's loads happening in Cork and for all ages - art exhibitions, new galleries opening, outdoor theatre, the Marquee concerts, the Mid-Summer Festival has just ended, there were picnics in the Park recently, an international rowing competition from coast to river, two weeks ago visiting navy vessels the public could board - not to mention the usual round of sporting events etc. Of course as we head towards autumn we'll have the folk festival, then the film festival, then the jazz festival. There's a real buzz in Cork these days - and I haven't even mentioned the words "pubs and restaurants"!!! Come on Limerick - give us a break - or better still come down to Cork for a break - and you'll eat your words!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

ya i seen those navy vessels in cork they were all around the city with there navy clothes on and i think they were pakistani

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

I can't seem to find decent developments on websites on Limerick???
    there aro no pictures or new images of the "changing city" :eek:

Its appauling really,
    And the fact that there is so much development going up in the city at the moment surely you would at least find some information online???

its ridiclous !!!
    There is some info on limerick development on www.archiseek.com (forums) on Limerick city new happenings!
    its interesting to check it out!

lets see if there is real changes in the city and into the future.
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭gaf1983

www.topstorey.net has pictures

• Advertisement

well what about the dev. in the shannonside, is the forum ,
    very good to browse on it, if you want all the new devlopments and news happining in limerick.
    www.archiseek.com

anybody have images on the latest devlopments?? :o

the Bedford Row development has just started now,
    as there are lane closures and restrictions in place.

This will be a fantastic much needed site !
    As it was currently a wasteland!!!

I can't wait to see it when its finshed, Henry Street will really look like a new modernised and bustling street as its has seen so many revitalisation and invetment in the last few years. :)

Anybody have updates on the pedstrianisation of the city centre ?
    It was meant to be starting this summer??
    its already here now???? :confused:

th_shannonstreet.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 clubvinyl

Have to say its great to see the Savoy finally getting knocked. One of the ugliest blocks in the city especially the Bedford row side. Any idea whats going in there ?

Now if they'd only sort out O'Connell Street and William Street.

as far as i';m aware the new building will extend right down to Oconnells street and range between 5 storeys on street level , with 10 storeys back??? retail , apartments and a hotel id going in there.

i'll check up more concise informarion soon!

any work o the Parkway shopping centre that is planned ???

the St Munchins house is nearly ready to be knocked , they are just waiting on the departement of agriculture to move temporaly , so they can start the building from scratch! :)

• Advertisement

mysterious wrote:
    as far as i';m aware the new building will extend right down to Oconnells street and range between 5 storeys on street level , with 10 storeys back??? retail , apartments and a hotel id going in there.

i'll check up more concise informarion soon!

any work o the Parkway shopping centre that is planned ???

the St Munchins house is nearly ready to be knocked , they are just waiting on the departement of agriculture to move temporaly , so they can start the building from scratch! :)
    i dont get you what do you mean 10 stories back?

yeah I think so ,5 storeys on street level and stepping back to 10 storey;s yes.
    i could be wrong check out, www.archiseek.com on what about the developments popping up in the Shannonside. Earlier posts have info about the Bedford row redevelopment!

some guy posted this as limericks skyscraper on that site

annnoyed me

limerick1.jpg

Well then express your views on what annoyed you!
    Afterall that is what the forum is about??? is'nt it
    opinions on architecture and devlopments.

:) Huge1 , he wouldn't slag off limerick if all of us went there as he would have to eat his words.
    Anyway in my view people who slag off place , ie Limerick tells me that there are insecure or bothered about it in some way ! They use a topic or something to try turn what has happened into what they want to think happened. Like the Media does "(on the New of the world)"
    Like the crime scenerio, everybody knows limerick has seroisly cleaned up a lot but there is stil slags who continue to try and intoxicate the goodnes and reailty of our city.

Limerick is well balanced and thriving city and what a guy like him tells me is , is typical of him who dosnt know much about Limerick and is probaly jealous that the fact is, Limerick had the balls to have two fantastic towers in its city!While Dublins struggles to up till now. so hes tries to find a weakness!
    its seems like another pattern , whenever Limerick has improved its image, some yob like him try find the negatives,when this picture clearly is rubbish and he probaly took out of his backyard.. It really shows true meanings to wha some people might say negative about a town or city which has boosted its image !

another example, Limerick along with Galway were voted the happiest places to live in Ireland ,in a recent poll of an all ireland vote, got another boo! by the paper saying "its was major surprise to see limerick come out with high scores , due to our social problems
    "WHAT" lollollol.... :rolleyes:

I think Limerick should be proud of its city, because of what the media and critics say about Limerick . is'nt true , and Limerick is still able to get on with the everday hustle and bustle, continues to improve and become a modern riverside city. :cool:

In fact I think that the critics make Limerick a stronger player and a more positive city.

Limerick has really come along way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Wow, powerful stuff! Social Problems? I laughed at that too!

Limerick is also Irelands richest city! And take into account that most rich irish bisness men live in dublin that just shows how well off our public are! The difide between rich and poor is pretty small in Limerick!

U may get angry at these things but the truth is that most ppl (espically those who watch RTE) dont realsie Limerick has changed, and when they see a person react to that pic in a negitive and agressive ... that is the picture they keep with Limerick!

Where as if we laugh it off and just say Limerick isnt like that, that immiditly shows a richer side to the city and that Limerickmen arnt savage!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Limerick is also Irelands richest city...

I was at the dentist last week and happened to be browsing through a copy of "Business Limerick" (think that was what its called).

Anyway, it had an interesting comment in it about Limerick being a city. It appears that we might be in danger of losing that designation vecause of falling population levels. At the last census in 2002, the population of the city was 52,000 (approx). However, if it falls below 50,000 we lose the right to call ourselves a city!!!!!

Right, ye all know what ye have to do, right????...:D

The facts is its 54,080 ppl in 2002. the real city population including suburbs is 90,000!

With less than 200 acres of greenfield approximatley left within the boundary that was laid out since 1950! I think people are very unaware of the real growth of this city?
    Facts and Media are very misleading! We are ireland's third city and i don't see why we can't grow at a faster rate! ;)

The city has an extra 40,000 outside the boundary now , its just appauling that the ccounty council treat its city with little consideration and state it as unimportant role as the city as a whole. :mad: its totally unacceptable.
    If Galway can fight to have the biggest city boundary in Ireland with a mere population totalled to just 66,000 with enough land to mess about with , well i don't see why limerick can't.
    Galway population is growing at a very fast rate, but so is Limerick, in the last census with suburbs included was growing at over 10% which is faster than Cork, waterford and Kikenny combined!!! not to mention places like lisnagy,annacotty, patrickswell and newport with huge growth which is not included in the suburban areas of Limerick and were not included in the census!

The city will grow to at least 57,000 in 2006 with the same growth as the last census. Even still evidence to show the city can grow even higher as there is way more invenstment and apartements being built. There is so much more happening in the last 3 years than i can ever recall in terms of building and cranes towering over the city .The riverside , park canal,parkway ,Caherdavin, grove island, corbally, north circular road , city centre and huge potential around the western Dock areas ,ballycummin and colbert staion areas which are natural extension to the city centre. A thousand ppl will be living at the new Riverpoint. so this tells me that Limerick is a very attractive place to live. :)

Limerickman your right about Limerick's wealth but Dublin is wealthier in almost every way due to been the econimic focus and administrive capital of our country

Though County Limerick came out the third richest county after Dublin and Kildare in the census Its Economic output and wealth past the national average both by per capita and average output.(Frank Mcdonald is one of the few people who made a lot of good points about Limerick in recent times clearlyt noted in the Irish Times )

The Waterford bourough put their applications to increase their boundaries.Atlone and kilkenny were sucessful in theirs I cannot understand why Limerick get so much opposition, When Limerick/Clare county councils continues to do everything in their power to stop the extension going ahead even on a national scale...greedy hands, they don't even see that they will even benifet to realise that if the city was let have its city status and proper economy thats rightfully theirs they would they would benifet they just the easy way by robbing taxes off the city limits and still have third world infastructure!!

Well i seem to defend Limerick quite strongly but now i don't see why should do to the extent because we should'nt have to
    I will continue to enjoy visiting the city and accepting Limerick is a dynmaic cultural city in its own right..

Has anybody have pictures ogf the Beddford Row dev?
    any news with the punches cross dev , it seems to be little happeining there??

i know it would settle a lot of arguments with galway people but is there really need for a border increase (i know its a lot bigger than people think but so what)

The difference between our proposals and the others is that the area serves up about half of the coco complete income! Usually the areas arnt so important to the county councils. Also they are arguing that ppl living ijn the areas will not have the same standard of living!

That whole thing about limerick losing city status is all crap! They found out that it was all speculation that the city council put out to get ppl on their side! Y would we lose our status and not Waterford or Kilkenny etc.?

• Advertisement

Well its all about the business of interest in LIMERICK.

Some multi nationals are going to Galway and other centres because they would think by the facts there are given would be that labour and population , empoyment is more plentiful ie Limerick is more sparsley populated an older population and higher rates etc which is true in the city centre , by the facts on the census, but not when you look at the bigger picture is what people don't see !

The bigger the city is the more succesful,sustainable, and more jobs will be in most cases!
    Limerick needs its proper city status.

Because of the limitted boundary there is a real problem to planning and development.
    For example since the boundary extension was terminated recently there has been so many new retail parks and new hotels under planning permission as its the only way the city can get a lump of cash . The high commerical rates in the city are said to be the highest in Ireland , which is a result of the limeited space and the main way which keeps the running of the city. most of the industries and devlopment (Raheen , Ul , Anlalog etc..)is not in the city boundary, which is why the county council is keeping the hot property to keep places in other parts of Limerick not going under the red!!!
    While it makes sense for the county council to move out towards Newcastlewst and not suck out of the city all the time.
    Limerick city is break even most of the time ,
    So its very important that the city is'nt divided.
    its makes econmical sense, plus every city needs to expand its boundary to sustain and grow

like extending your house , we live in a world where size matters!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

MY limited understanding of this goes along the lines of .....50,000 , thats the figure that City status works around , European funding is dependent on this figure , and rises acordingly . So the more living in the city the more funding we get .

Whats that new building going up on the Dock road, its on the left heading outbound... theres the knocked garage station and then a building then a new building going up.. what is it?

its a 4 star hotel .
    5 storeys in height .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

If it's where top/londis was, it's going to be a best western or one of those things. It should be a 3 star hotel by the same crowd that own the clarion. If it's not where I'm thinking then there's one in the pipeline.

No thats going in place of the top station I thought (which was knocked last week to make way), but this is just down from there... one building between there and this site!

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭The Lopper

This situation with Limerick having a confined city boundary actually has good side effects, as it is encouraging developers to build up rather than out, hopefully avoiding Urban Sprawl

Hey just to update,

Anyone here of the Cresent extension opening date ? and how is the Ominiplex doing since its rival cinema Storm has came on the scene.

Its very obvious there is major competition! Look in the paper :D
    bring those prices down lol....

Anyone have any idea what pavement and stuff is going into Bedford row street??

i'd really like to see a another skyscraper going up in the city. Limerick will go where no town in the island has gone before..... the skies :D
    anybody agree (sigh) :eek:

anyway id leave it there hopefully someone will come up more news for the city...........

the omniplex is killing storm hands down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

gaf1983 wrote:
    www.topstorey.net has pictures

ooh someone forgot to pay the bills :)

Advertisement