Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best Bike for a VIP

Options
  • 24-06-2005 9:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭

ok, I'd like some suggestions as to which motorbike to buy

Requirements ;

Very Fast, (gsxr-750 = pants ?)

Cool & Trendy, (whats hip and happening in the biking world thesedays ? )

Reliable (are Ducatis considered unreliable ?)

Easy to ride,

Budget €7,500 up

It's probably best not to start out on something like a turbocharged Busa, but I reckon I could handle a CBR900/ZXR1200 kinda thing, obviously wont be ripping the sh|t out of it starting off and none too concerned about draging knees or hanging 2mm from corner apexes etc., so touring spec is fine- once its jaw-dropingly quick in a straight line.

No BS 125cc 'starting out' suggestions please :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

528i wrote:
    but I reckon I could handle a CBR900/ZXR1200 kinda thing
    That's the kind of attitude that people here are going to criticise you for.

If you've never driven a bike, I'd suggest a Bandit 600 or a GS 500. For at least a year anyway. If you've not passed the test, the chances of you being able to get anything bigger is minimal anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

528i wrote:
    It's probably best not to start out on something like a turbocharged Busa...
    No BS 125cc 'starting out' suggestions please :)

Is this your 1st bike?
    If it is.....i was informed that you have to start on something 250 or less for 2 years before you can get a "MONSTER BIKE" (well anything over 250)

I may be wrong......i was told that.....so i said sod that im not getting a 250 or less.......hence i have no bike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭528i

From what little I know about bikes, Bandit 600's are considered a small bit gay I think.. I have driven a 250 honda racebike, abit stiff and highly strung and the vibrations were something wicked, a 600 shadow cruiser type bike, smooth but not shocking fast- maybe a with 1200 engine?, and a gsxr 750 (that I was scared into not driving quickly by its owner).

I was told a 30yr old could get insured on just about anything, even under the same car insurance policy for 500quid extra or something. I've forgotten he details now because im drunk.

I'd definitely forget about the whole thing if forced to start out on some piece of crap, but this whole 'restriction' things a joke right ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

From what I can get from this is that you are looking for a bike to pose on and show off to your mates. You don't exactly have good rep around here with the biker crowd so i reacon you best stick to your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

There you go:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=241803

Plenty fast enough not to embarass you
    Enough cc's to brag about
    Added safety features like abs and traction control ...so you're a little less likey to fall off in your first bend :D

And reliable too

Should be right down your alley

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,359 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Hmmm, bikes dont come wrapped with seatbelts and a nice crumple zone like cars do.

This post is basicaly you asking the best way to commit suicide, cop on..

These are the words of someone that shouldnt be on the road on two wheels

Get back in your car and leave the bike to people that appreciate that riding a bike requires a sense of self preservation..the roads will be safer without you, i'm not joking.i see fair weather biker riders a lot at this time of year and they do cause deaths on the road.....stay in your car and stay the fup away from bikes.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

K-TRIC wrote:
    From what I can get from this is that you are looking for a bike to pose on and show off to your mates. You don't exactly have good rep around here with the biker crowd so i reacon you best stick to your car.

OOOHHHHH...........cant wait to see 528i 's reply to this one......should be interesting :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭tk123

K-TRIC wrote:
    You don't exactly have good rep around here with the biker crowd so i reacon you best stick to your car.
    VIP = very IRRITATING person in this case!!! :D

528i wrote:

His kids must be calling him old and boring! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Curran wrote:
    His kids must be calling him old and boring! :D
    sure getting a bike will show them all that he's still got it! :rolleyes:

EDIT - and mods before you give out he called me gay for being a girl one time!

• Advertisement

tk123 wrote:
    sure getting a bike will show them all that he's still got it! :rolleyes:

EDIT - and mods before you give out he called me gay for being a girl one time!

AH HA....so hence the
    I am a girl. Not everyone on boards is a guy. Calling me a sissy/gay/nobjockey etc is not an insult to me COS I AM A GIRL!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,359 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Fupping summer bike riders...bah..welcome to the most dangerious time of year on the roads...

January rain, sleet , frosty, ice ect is scary for the biker but ..at least you can see it coming..the summer biker hasnt a clue about indicating..about lanes ..about brakes.....hasn't ever had lessons...

Ihate this time of year, had several close shaves this evening on the way home..all were other biker related..grr....

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Get a 3 wheeler like Billy Connelly

Least then you wont have to think about balance....one less thing to think about when riding! :D

peasant wrote:
    There you go:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=241803

Plenty fast enough not to embarass you
    Enough cc's to brag about
    Added safety features like abs and traction control ...so you're a little less likey to fall off in your first bend :D

And reliable too

Should be right down your alley
    if thats a joke then I don't like your sense of humour. Pan European's are for 90yr old geriatrics with bladder problems and robocop delusions.

ok, before this thread gets locked, I must apologise to anyone I had offended in whatever previous whatever.. I cant remember, anyway, its nice to see so many concerned for my wellbeing - don't worry, I wont crash, and is this the wrong forum to be asking because everyone drives sad little 125s or scooters or whatever ?

Ok forget everything ive said, how about we approach this from a different angle,

You're a biker with nigh on 16years exp., joey's got noffin on you, you want a bike, thats better than everyone elses, which one ?
    joey dunlops probably a bad example because he's dead, but I cant think of any others..

First he apologies and then in the next line throws a dig back in........hmmm.......sincere apology!!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

You're probably right with a zx12r, have honda injected the cbxx yet anyone? The gsxr1000 is the quickest sports bike at the moment.

that's basically the a toned down (not by much) rizla race bike ? is it abit uncompromising, would it hurt your goolies over cobbled streets ?

it certainly looks nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

It's probably faster than last years rizzla bike, if not as fast, 160hp at the wheel anyway, a mate just got the 600(same bike smaller engine), it's one of the more civil sportsbikes on the road. If yer about Dublin next weekend, Skerries roadracing is on, go up and have a gander.

528i wrote:
    would it hurt your goolies over cobbled streets ?

it certainly looks nice.

Thought you wanted a MANS bike?.........hhmmm.....someone wants a lil bite of a softies bike!! :p

I see you got the joke ... :D

right then ...how about this then?
    http://www.buell.com/en_uk/products/firebolt/xb12r/index.asp

not THE fastest bike, but certainly one of the most exotic and unusual, while still loud and fast enough

seenashow you like being talked about :D

• Advertisement

Curran wrote:
    Thought you wanted a MANS bike?.........hhmmm.....someone wants a lil bite of a softies bike!! :p
    naw, extremely well hung is all, I'm told there's bullet proof titanium crotch protectors also so that could be worth investigating..

Skerries ? sounds good, I'll have to get with the lingo and mingle there pretending like I know a thing or two about bikes. long would it take to get to terms with and learn how to 'be_at_one' with the rizzla bike ?
    Its probably mad money anyway, those race replicas usually are, duke 999R is something like €25k new !! im sure the chicks would love ya.. but hey, thats crazy money.

Skerries is pretty much an isle of mann TT setup then ?

lol, a 'firebolt XB12R' is something I never even knew existed, lets put a cap on that budget of say €15k before everyone gets carried away :D

looks well in red though, but where's the hot-chick pillion seat facility :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭jiffy

Curran wrote:
    Is this your 1st bike?
    If it is.....i was informed that you have to start on something 250 or less for 2 years before you can get a "MONSTER BIKE" (well anything over 250)

I may be wrong......i was told that.....so i said sod that im not getting a 250 or less.......hence i have no bike

Sorry but you were given totally wrong information there :(

If you have a provisional Category A licence then you can ride a bike <34 BHP or with a power to weight ratio below a certain limit. Most 250's blow the 33BHP limit but the insurance companies and Gardai turn a blind eye in many cases to a bike that puts out 40HP.

If you want to you can ride a Hyabusa on a Provisional as long as you get it restricted to 33bhp.

Once you've past your test you are have the same restriction for a further two years then you can ride what you like unrestricted.

jiffy wrote:
    Sorry but you were given totally wrong information there :(

If you have a provisional Category A licence then you can ride a bike <34 BHP or with a power to weight ratio below a certain limit. Most 250's blow the 33BHP limit but the insurance companies and Gardai turn a blind eye in many cases to a bike that puts out 40HP.

If you want to you can ride a Hyabusa on a Provisional as long as you get it restricted to 33bhp.

Once you've past your test you are have the same restriction for a further two years then you can ride what you like unrestricted.

Oh yeah..........was told that too..........but forgot the minor in's and out's of it all!....remember the guy saying that 250 is <34bhp.........thanks for clarifying that.........will be on two wheels in a few years time then.......when i mature a lil a know i wont act the gobsh*te on it.......maybe about 10 years so! :D

jiffy wrote:
    or you can pretend like its restricted and record 15minute videos from galway to dublin for the internet ;)

ok ..here's the last joke for today ;) :

A bike, "manlier" isn't possible ...(after all, it's camouflage) and with room for TWO chicks

http://www.ural-motorcycles.com/nf/uranger/

even got a machine gun mount ...you can blast everybody else off the road :D

And it falls into the "restricted" category ...speed would be a problem, though... :o

528i wrote:
    From what little I know about bikes, Bandit 600's are considered a small bit gay I think..

I'd definitely forget about the whole thing if forced to start out on some piece of crap, but this whole 'restriction' things a joke right ?

Well you may as well forget it then. You ARE restricted to 33BHP for 2 years after you pass your test so as you put it you'd have to start out "on some piece of crap", where you got that idea from I don't know, there are lots of great bikes that fit within the restriction and lots of bikes that you can get factory or aftermarket restrictors for that will get you through.

You've offended just about every biker on here in that post. There are a lot of Bandit riders out there and they are damn fine machines, I'm not one of them as I'm lucky enough to have been riding for 16 years and can afford to own and run an HRC RC45.

Since you don't have a licence and you obviously have no idea what you are talking about I'd steer clear of bikes. With your attitude you'll be have embedded yourself into the back of a truck before you get to apply for your test.

528i wrote:
    or you can pretend like its restricted and record 15minute videos from galway to dublin for the internet ;)

Only if you want to end up in court. Those video's are self incriminating !

ok, I apologise for offending bandit owners etc. before all 2 of them come on here and go exceedingly menthol or whatever. It were a fello biker bud who made the statement/suggestion in passing, obviously completely wrong - they are of course brilliant starter bikes. Now. can we talk about something a tad livelier and non restricted, and just pretend the law doesn't apply to uberpanzer party vips.

hey peasent (i love this guy), 'evidently fear is not a factor for you' - ohh the shame of riding that ww2 yoke lol - / runs and hides :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

528i wrote:
    uberpanzer party vips.

Do you mean you are a big fat tank ??? If so then you might find driving a race bike a bit awkward.

• Advertisement

528i wrote:
    Now. can we talk about something a tad livelier and non restricted, and just pretend the law doesn't apply to uberpanzer party vips.

Lol, if you want to talk livlier and unrestricted, this is my weapon of choice !

RC45.jpg

It runs a full HRC wiring harness, ignition system, exhausts, airbox and igntion map. It's dyno confirmed at 152Bhp and if you have an area and the balls to do it, you can go from 0 -160kph and back to 0 again in 5 point something seconds or just keep going to 320Kph. Is that lively enough for you.

I just use it to get to work and back :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement