Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boyfriend is a doorman...

Options
  • 22-06-2005 4:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hi,

First time posting here. have been on the forum tho a couple of times, so i was wondering if you all could help.

basically ive been with my boyfriend for almost eight months now and I am completely mad about him. Relationship is going great so far and we're very happy together.

There is only one issue that I have, and it's really my issue here, its not his fault at all. He's a doorman and time and time again, it really gets to me. I trust him completely, but at times Im not comfortable with girls throwing themselves at him and constantly draping themselves over him. its a weird environment for him to be in constantly. I know he wouldn't do anything about it, but yet im still uncomfortable with it. It would be unfair of me to ask him to change jobs, cos i know he really enjoys it. But am i being slightly irrational??

Basically im wondering if any of you have experiences of dating doormen, and whether it could work at all? as i said we're very happy together, and there are no other issues at all in our relationship. Can we have a future together?

anyway, all of your two cents would be appreciated.

sammyjo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭jcoote

have u told him about this???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

women - shaping men since 1793 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

Sammyjo wrote:
    I trust him completely

What's the problem then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Sammyjo

i have mentioned it to him a couple of times, but i have played down how i feel. he just assures me that its just a job, and he comes home to me at the end of the night, but i don't think he completely understands how i feel. i dont want to come across as being paranoid!! also he's done nothing wrong here, so i was conscious of not wanting him to feel worried about it. i thought i'd get used to it by this stage, but so far i havent.....

sounds like u are being a bit irrational...like he hasn't done anything at all and u say u trust him...u have every right to feel the way u do even if u are a bit jealous...its kinda like "what if he likes one of them girls instead of me and leaves me high and dry,i really like him"... thats an insecurity u have and one u should probably address and keep within your control... if u really do like him u won't troule him over this one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

He's your boyfriend, you're going to have to trust him. If you love him and you feel he wouldn't cheat on you, don't let it get to you and work past those feelings. If you think he would cheat on you, then well... you need to sit down and have serious talks because you don't trust him. Asking him to change jobs because you feel insecure would be silly.
    ('course I realise this is all easier said than done, but it's true)

tbh youre probably right...thats why i wanted to get other peoples opinions...kind of confirms what i was thinking myself!

koneko, just saw your post after i had posted mine...i do trust him completely, i know he has no interest...its just a bit of a weird situation for a girl to deal with you know? it seems to be just a matter of working through it myself without showing him how irrational im being...cos as I said before he's done nothing wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

:-/

oddly, yer boards.ie handle is my g/fs RL name.

I'm not a doorman tho...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Mannfan

Well, yea its a dodgy profession! Sort of like a barman! But i dont think you can ask anyone to change their profession because you feel uncomfortable. Think you need to give it a bit more time, sounds like youre having a ball right now. Go with it!

• Advertisement

its only natural to feel insecure about the possibility of losing something that we love...i'm sure a lot of people here have gone thru this kind of scenario all be it with different circumstances... i think the fact that u are worrying could encourage your bf not to cheat of have an affair or whatever because u are showing real care for him and are putting effort into keeping him in your life

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Sammyjo wrote:
    koneko, just saw your post after i had posted mine...i do trust him completely, i know he has no interest...its just a bit of a weird situation for a girl to deal with you know? it seems to be just a matter of working through it myself without showing him how irrational im being...cos as I said before he's done nothing wrong.

Yeah, I'm sure it isn't the ideal job you could think of for him to be in, but it could be worse (think stripper, gigolo). As long as you trust him, and you've spoken to him, I'm sure it'll be fine. Try not to worry about it, you'll just make yourself feel bad when there's no need to.

just as a matter of interest, has anyone here had this experience? how did they deal with it? ("deal" is probably the wrong word.....)

btw thanks for all the positive feedback so far guys.. :D

i dated a barwoman before and she was really good lookin and extremely bubbly... i trusted her and he never ripped me off...she was chatted up by a load of fella's and one of her co-workers asked her out etc etc but she stayed faithful... it was only for like 5 months but we got on well and her job had nothing to do with the break up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

Believe me, there's something appealing about girls throwing themselves at you, but not drunken slutty girls. Maybe deal with some trust issues?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭nobodythere

And most doormen I know don't like their jobs because they have to be assholes to people and don't like the qualities that it reflects in them, therefore he's probably just dying to get out of work and go home. I don't know, I don't know the guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Hornet

Sammyjo, while we probably all think (including yourself): 'She SHOULDN'T feel like that, becuase there is no reason for being concerned!', these type of feelings can become a problem. SO I think you are doing the right thing: Don't surpress them but do something about it.

I think, however, that the person with whom to work on it is your boyfriend. Maybe it would be a good idea to tell him the feelings. Don't play them down, but tell him exactly what you feel, but start the whole discussion by telling him that you trust him, that you realise that your feelings are not based on fact and reason and that you want to share them with him to work on these feelings.

Don't ask him to behave differently or to change his job or anything like that, but make him aware of what is going on in your head and in your heart.

Even if you try talking yourself out of having those feelings or fears, they could come back again and again and unless he is aware of your subconscious concerns, things could get tricky if for example once you will smell strange perfume on him or find a piece of paper with a phone number that a girl stuffed in his coat pocket etc.

Jealousy is a form of insecurity, but romance is full of insecurities and the insecurities make romance so special and give us this extra tingling feeling. I would not necessarily agree with what some people said here, when they more or less wrote: Try to get over it.

The feelings won't just disappear even if you tell yourself 1000 times that there is no reason for having them.

By the way: From what you describe I don't see ANY reason why your relationship shouldn't work out! The fact that he is a doorman doesn't make it more difficult to have a working relationship. But I think surpressing feelings like that CAN have a negative effect on a relationship, so talk to him and make him aware. Ideally and hopefully he will understand why you feel like that (even if there is no reason), will assure you of his love and loyalty and will make sure that he will tell you enough about his day to day job so that you won't have any grounds for suspicions etc.

One important thing, however, make sure that NOTHING you say sounds as if you are acusing him in ANY way. You are not and you have to make that clear to him.

Disclaimer: I have NO personal experience with a situation like that, but as a man I would think that it would be best for the relationship (if I were in a similar situation) if my partner would tell me what she thinks and feels. I would not be happy if she had worries and concerns and didn't tell me about it. By the way, personally I think it is a nice thing if my partner is a little bit jealous, it shows that she does indeed care about me. (I said "a LITTLE bit jealous"!!!).

And a last thing: Asking him to change his job or indicating that you wished he would change his job is NOT a good idea. Imagine he worked in an office with lots of nice girls around him for 8 hours every day, do you think you would feel better? I don't think so. A specific job doesn't necessarily make a person more or less promiscuous! Apart from that job satisfaction and his happiness with work will have a positive effect on your relationship, once you will manage to deal with your subconscious, but obviously unjustified worries and concerns.

Wishing you good luck and a lot of happiness with your boyfriend.

--Hornet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

egan007 wrote:
    women - shaping men since 1793 :)

ROFL, I`m afraid I`m going to have to steal it......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Soap

grasshopa wrote:
    I know don't like their jobs because they have to be assholes to people

Blatent thread hijacking. They dont have to be assholes they choose to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

you dont trust him if ur worried at all. simple as that.

its all well and good to say u trust him, but obviously u dont. stop kiddin urself. trustin him means u dont hav to worry coz u know he wont go off wit the girls. however, ur worrying.......think about it!

women :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭horsesnout

:confused: why in gods name would any women want to throw themselves over a bouncer? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

power.

B man,

I do trust him completely, and possibly I wasn't as clear as I should have been about what makes me uncomfortable...its not the possibility of him doing anything...i know he wouldn't. Its just the thought of girls hanging out of him that I dont like...possibly purely territorial on my part! i dont think anyone (if they were to be perfectly honest) would like to think of members of the opposite sex hanging out of their partners, without the possibility of the partner cheating even being an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

horsesnout wrote:
    :confused: why in gods name would any women want to throw themselves over a bouncer? :confused:

My thoughts exactly. They're another piece of furniture at best or a minor irritation at worst for me.

Relax OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Son_of_Belial

Well I work in security in gigs and such and I have to say that in my experience the girls are either way too drunk so you don't want to touch them, are only "throwing themselves at you" so that they'll be allowed go somewhere the general public aren't (i.e. back-stage, into the venue for free etc.), and anyway, you're trying to do a job. You don't have the time to be paying attention to some girl no matter how hot she may be because you'll either get fired for not doing your job or because it's simply downright dangerous not to have your wits about you. Anyway, have you actually witnessed girls hanging out of him? Is this a fact or just your imagination? Bouncers can't do their job if there's some drunken girl swinging out of them. I wouldn't worry at all. Talk to him though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Keep reading this as "Boyfriend is a doormat"

Anyway reguardless of how you trust your boyf, the girls who throw themselves at bouncers are usually mingers who don't get in, technically he's already rejected them.

I concur

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Little Goose

Sammyjo wrote:
    just as a matter of interest, has anyone here had this experience? how did they deal with it? ("deal" is probably the wrong word.....)

Yeah, I've experienced this. It's tough. My guy works in a similar environment where women throw themselves at him. One woman actually did it in front of me! It took me about a year to stop freaking out over it, yet I still have my moments every now and again. You, like me, have said to yourself that deep down you know he wouldn't do anything, so your half-way there! You'll always have that niggly thing and it's not distrust, it's just insecurity, which I think is healthy to have. There's nothing worse than a woman being so blind that she can't see what's going on. It's good to be on the alert!! Just talk to him and tell him he needs to reassure you every now and again. If he's a good guy, he'll understand and won't mind tell you there's nothing to worry about over and over and over and over again!! Heehee! :)

• Advertisement

Soap wrote:
    Blatent thread hijacking. They dont have to be assholes they choose to be.
    Not strictly true, doormen appear to be assholes because when you come and talk to us we still have to be watching what else is going on around us. It looks like we're ignoring you or whatever when as a matter of fact we're just trying to multi-task. You have to be on the ball all the time in this job. It's true that there are some bad eggs as with any given group of people but by and large doormen are OK. Also OP, I'd be more worried about him getting knifed or even shot (don't laugh, it happens) on the job. I've heard of guys getting their faces slashed etc. and then there was that chap who was shot to death on the quays about 3 years ago.

Advertisement