Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Scoda Octavia vRS 1.8T

Options
  • 22-06-2005 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭

hello all, I am wondering if I can get some advice about this car. Well not specifically about this car, but what improvements I could make to it for relatively low money.....

at the moment it is the bog standard 01 version of the car.... I would like to move up to 17" wheels etc... just wondering where is the best place to go for that sort....

also would like to up the bhp a big... and maybe the the engine sounding a bit more like a performance car.... far too quiet. Maybe an exhaust system or something along those lines....

Although I love performance cars... and speed in general (have a bike as well.. well actually sold it yesterday), I am not a petrol head and dont really know that much about cars....

I do like the subtleties of this car, and am not going to go over the top in mods... just some simple advice needed.... thanks....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

jimbling wrote:
    hello all, I am wondering if I can get some advice about this car. Well not specifically about this car, but what improvements I could make to it for relatively low money.....

at the moment it is the bog standard 01 version of the car.... I would like to move up to 17" wheels etc... just wondering where is the best place to go for that sort....

also would like to up the bhp a big... and maybe the the engine sounding a bit more like a performance car.... far too quiet. Maybe an exhaust system or something along those lines....

Although I love performance cars... and speed in general (have a bike as well.. well actually sold it yesterday), I am not a petrol head and dont really know that much about cars....

I do like the subtleties of this car, and am not going to go over the top in mods... just some simple advice needed.... thanks....

Get a K&N forced air induction kit. that'll up the HP, sweeten the sound and improve torque.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

You've got a very tunable engine in the 1.8T, just with a ECU upgrade you can get to stage 1 and put out 215 - 220bhp, probably knock about 1.5 sec off the 0 - 60 time. Then you could add a dynatwist induction kit which are very nice dont touch K&N as there bad for the MAF. With all that extra power it would be worth getting a BREMBO 4-pot Brake conversion kit to stop. Besides that they look :cool:

If thats not enough come back.

:cool:

Eeep,

"K&N as there bad for the MAF", explain?
    does this apply to all engines?

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭528i

K&N allows contaminants past to cling to your MAF meter, messing up its signal and runs the car [badly] on a default value thats down around 20hp.

An overoiled filter can cause MAF problems... yes. If a K&N is heavily coated then yea potentially MAF coating problems and degredation in performance lies ahead.

If you are thinking bolt on brand (X) induction kit and I will never have MAF failure you would be deluding yourself. MAF's fail on std paper filtered cars all too frequently. They are a known weak sensor. If under warranty still, and MAf failure occurs you can bet ya bottom dollar the induction kit would be blamed as the non-std cause... its a wonderful getout for them on warranty. They dont get to get out of std airboxed cars tho. - which suffer the same MAF failures.

Green filters, same construction as K&N but lightly coated seem to have a very large installed base with no more than std MAF failures reported.

• Advertisement

Oh yeah and dont forget your fabia rear wiper MOD. wont increase your BHP but looks so much better than the STD one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

thanks for the info guys.... have you got any good sites to look at these... where is the best value to deal with these things.... are u better off doing it on the net ie... buy and ship the gear, get my local mechanic to install it for me....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Check out www.briskoda.net, recommended to me by someone else on this forum and elsewhere, you should find out all you need there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

You've got a very tunable engine in the 1.8T, just with a ECU upgrade you can get to stage 1 and put out 215 - 220bhp, probably knock about 1.5 sec off the 0 - 60 time.

wouldn't like to put my money against a 40bhp increase and torque to match from just an 'ecu' upgrade let alone slashing the 0-100KMH by 1.5 sec's.

people spend €thousands to get anything near them increases :)

in saying that its a nice car, quite tuneable, plenty of following and good support and help on briskoda.net

You must be fairly new to tuning then, as they are very achievable figures.

• Advertisement

far from it...im just realistic not optimistic ;)

I see that by you car alright 1.6 is it. Im talking about engine MODs not magic wings, double exhausts and stripes :D

Via upsolute.com

Skoda Octavia 1.8T 20V 180 (RS) Before and after upsolute.

standard - 180 PS 235 NM

After ECU upgrade - 212 PS 295 NM

I see that by you car alright 1.6 is it. Im talking about engine MODs not magic wings, double exhausts and stripes :D

yawn yawn yawn, your blatent ignorance is quite amusing...grow the heck up would ye and take some meaning from my posts without needing to resort to personal insults - my d!ck is bigger than yours attitude :rolleyes:

Via upsolute.com

Skoda Octavia 1.8T 20V 180 (RS) Before and after upsolute.

standard - 180 PS 235 NM

After ECU upgrade - 212 PS 295 NM

its all very well down on paper, posted on a site - dyno runs are whats needed as proof

think about it 0-100KMH slashed by 1.5 sec's with an ECU upgrade? if thats the case, Skoda themselves would have a workaround, cause when marketing cars like the RS, things like consumption/boot space come into it further down the pre-requisites list - things like acceleration, torque figures and 0-100KMH times are the biggies here

hmmm kids these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭IrishRover

I don't know anything about Skodas but I'm sure like ciarsd I'm so used to seeing so many bull**** power claims by people and you ask them what they have done to justify the power claims and they go "oh yeah got it chipped and all, dump valve, K'n'N mate..." with no proof from a dynoplot.

Ususally it's down to what they call "barry maths" on the barryboys site. So maybe what you're saying is true but you tend to be sceptical of these things.

hmmm kids these days.

pah!
    your reply sums up your contribution to this thread - no point coming on here trying to pull the wool over peoples eyes, there are quite a few knowledgeable members - 40bhp chips :D sure why dont ye throw in a couple of neon washer jets - gotta be good for another ..say .. 5-10BHP? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭528i

40bhp is easily attainable with an engine remap on both turbo-charged petrol & diesel engines.

Its not rocket science, the chip basically increases boost pressure and readjusts the fuel / airflow & engine timing to compensate. 400bhp is considered the norm for a stock 280bhp GT-R remap while retaining almost 100% reliability.

Without a turbo\supercharger you're just wasting your time with a superchip and would probably be better advised to go with a high-powered engine transplant instead or dicking around with engine rebuilds etc.

to emphasise the point, have a look at this 320bhp Alfa 147 (with over €80,000 spent !!!!!!!!!! ) being beaten by a Mk1 golf gti

http://irishperformancecars.com/video/DaveCV147.wmv

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 65,055 ✭✭✭✭unkel

You've got a very tunable engine in the 1.8T, just with a ECU upgrade you can get to stage 1 and put out 215 - 220bhp

Yep that VAG petrol engine tunes wel. Also very tuneable are the current VAG Diesel engines and the FIAT multijet Diesel engines

The reason they are not tuned more straight from the factory is that the cars should operate under very different circumstances / climates for a global market. The weather is extremely mild in Ireland, so mapping is relatively safe and performance increases are high

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭ando

unkel wrote:
    Yep that VAG petrol engine tunes wel. Also very tuneable are the current VAG Diesel engines

sure are, after my Ecu remap I'm putting out 264lbft torque. On paper the stock 110Bhp engine puts out 173lbft torque. Although I think the 220Bhp figure from the 1.8T might be a little exaggerated. I know of a chap that got his Octavia RS remapped and at the RR that we went to, he was disappointed to be putting out 205Bhp. I don’t know if that’s the norm for the RS or a bad remap?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,055 ✭✭✭✭unkel

ando wrote:
    sure are, after my Ecu remap I'm putting out 264lbft torque

Now can we have NM going forward, please? :p

Oh and 358NM is pretty good alright :)

ciarsd wrote:
    40bhp chips :D sure why dont ye throw in a couple of neon washer jets - gotta be good for another ..say .. 5-10BHP? ;)

Or just add another "Magic wing" ! im sure they add at least another 50bhp.

Hey hashslinging, check your pm's

easily fooled! :rolleyes:

when i say Dyno I mean a real one - i.e. engine dyno - not some RR printout were it is very easy to up the return values for engine tuning (not saying for one moment that the one youve posted is)

sure many a company in the uk were caught napping when trading standards called to their doors as a result of there (false) advertising campaigns of 180BHP/200BHP engine tune guaranteed. :eek:

Or just add another "Magic wing" ! im sure they add at least another 50bhp.

wind yer neck in lad, your like a broken record at this stage.

i think ive made my point in this thread so ill leave it at that.

You haven’t made any point, your just a thread "spoiler".

ok let me remind you :rolleyes:
    You've got a very tunable engine in the 1.8T, just with a ECU upgrade you can get to stage 1 and put out 215 - 220bhp, probably knock about 1.5 sec off the 0 - 60 time.

my reply
    ciarsd wrote:
    wouldn't like to put my money against a 40bhp increase and torque to match from just an 'ecu' upgrade let alone slashing the 0-100KMH by 1.5 sec's.

people spend €thousands to get anything near them increases :)

in saying that its a nice car, quite tuneable, plenty of following and good support and help on briskoda.net

and my reply yet again
    ciarsd wrote:
    far from it...im just realistic not optimistic ;)

then we get the my d!ck is bigger than yours, childish attitude (READ Thread spoiler)
    I see that by you car alright 1.6 is it. Im talking about engine MODs not magic wings, double exhausts and stripes

I've made my points re: chips/RR results etc - actually everytime we talk facts and specifics you sway away from them and throw a personal comment instead - typical of someone who talks everthing and knows nothing.

your really just repeating everything you read elsewhere without knowing the facts/having personal experiences

anyway back to topic, I was in a vRS last nite - enjoyable car even as standard out of the box

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

okay guys.... thanks for all the info... i did a bit of reading up about it.. and I may look into getting some serious engine mods at a later date. For now I think i am only serious about maybe getting a new exhaust system as i think standard sound of the vRS is a bit mild... what do u reckon on this ciarsD... since u drove one last night. I dont want a roar so much as a low growl....

Also my model is the 01 one... I think it was the 02 which started coming with 17" wheels as standard... mine are 16s... so I am thinking of upgrading there as well...

so where abouts is the best place to get an exhaust system pretty cheaply (and does it have any other implications for the car)

And where is the best place to look for and buy wheels... and if anyone has any opinions what would be a nice looking wheel for this car...

Advertisement