Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suicide and the Summer

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭acri

Yes. Summer brings certain expectations. It exposes your wretchedness.

Ah, ye see, thats the thing. You think you're wretched, or think that other people think that you're wretched. That's not the case. And I know that in depression, no one else's opinion matters, but you gotta pull yourself outta that thought process. Just try and take your mind off it. Again, I think occupying yourself with something helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

BrianD3 wrote:
    If you're lonely and don't have any friends or a bf/gf summer can be bad also. Summer is a time when most "normal" people go on their holidays and generally have fun but you end up sitting at home because you have no-one to do anything with and who the hell wants to go off on holiday all on their own? So you can feel like an unwanted, abnormal freak.

That's my exact situation. I only have one friend in my area, the rest are all from college and have gone home for the summer. Also, this summer and last, I spent weeks looking forward to finishing my exams and planning the lovely summer we were going to have, and all the places we were going to go, with boyfriends, only for the relationship to end either just before or just after the exams. Everyone else is all loved-up, or going out with their friends, and here's me sitting by myself.

I think it all started when I was about 12. I was on a family holiday and there were loads of couples and big groups of friends everywhere I looked, and at the time I was being bullied in school and had few friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

nesf wrote:
    Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm like so ****ing impressed!!!!!!

You bungi jumped and you were afraid of heights!!!

Oh and trying to turn a thread on suicide into some little self praise session is such a good and clear example of the reasons why this country has such a problem with suicide.

Oh and coward's way out? Seriously. Take your POV back into the dark ages with the rest of the muppets in this country. You have no idea of what you are talking about.

I'm an open minded and tolerant individual, so I can appreciate your POV. It doesn't change the fact that it's wrong and that I'm suprised that you have the necessary 2 brains cells to rub together in order to string enough of those big and difficult words into the same sentence so that you can express it.

Like I said, tolerant. Go troll elsewhere.

No offense like :)

you know the rules.
    banned.

he is entitled to his opinion like anyone else. just becuase you have a point of view on the subject thqat happens to be close to your heart, does not mean its the point of view that everyone maust share.

as you say, tolearnt. learn it. love it. preach it back here in a week....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

the reason I feel summer is the worst time for suicides is that people have high expectations of summer-good weather, relaxation etc and it is very rarely like that. I also agree with whoever said that seeing people with great bodies showing them off in the summer can affect those with low self esteem-i am in no way begrudging those people at all, but from personal experience, when one has low self esteem the whole world is better than you, and during the summer its just like its being rubbed in your face...
    on the other hand feb-april are the worst months for me...dunno why though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Altheus

3 friends suicides last September, with varying degrees of reasoning. Although debt from the summer definitely was a hangover none of them could shake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

acri wrote:
    I used to. Especially last summer. Well, the beginning of it. It was a time when I get morbidly depressed. That and Christmas. But anyway, first you've to let us know why you think about suicide. For me, it was because I saw the rest of the world "livin' it up". Y'know, making the most of their youth. I couldn't do that. But I realised that i had to make things happen for myself, just think more upbeat. Hell, even speaking louder helps. Try your best to keep yourself busy. This summer I plan to buy a massive canvas and paint something amazing. No idea what yet, but it'll keep me busy. Mabye it's the same for you.

BINGO

Finally someone hit it on the head there. I would say that people who are at school/college live speaking to friends on a day to day basis, then at the end of June due to living far apart and all kinds of other reasons, fall out of contact.

I've felt this to a certain extent during the summer months living in the countryside and can see why the summer time is a time of depression and isolation for some people.

I'll let Green Day take this one:
    Nobody likes you,
    Everyone left you,
    They're all out without you,
    Havin' fun,
    Everyone left you,
    Nobody likes you,
    They're all out without you,
    Havin' fun,
    Where'd you go?

^ I myself can certainly relate to this, even if I am completely miss-interpreting the lyrics, when I first heard them this kind of thing came to mind. This supports what acri was saying about feeling as if everyone is getting on with their lives, while you remain static.

To avoid going off on a rant, this is the one main reason I could imagine greater suicide in the summer months.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

if your thinking about suicide you've got yourself into a bad cycle of thinking. to use an analogy, if i decide i dont like my mobile phone, i dont assume all mobile phones are bad, throw it out and swear off mobiles forever. i say "my mobiles crap, im off to get a new one".

theres six billion ppl out there (excluding aliens) and each one has a different life. if you dont like yours change it. change it until you've tried it six billion different ways. you're only allowed think of ending your life once you've tried every single life that its possible to have and hated them all.

and i thought it'd be more common in winter too, when ppl spend more time at home cos its cold and dark and there's nothing to do :confused: oh well, its a funny old world

change it until you've tried it six billion different ways. you're only allowed think of ending your life once you've tried every single life that its possible to have and hated them all.

I have to take issue with that remark. I feel its totally unfair to those who have tried to commit suicide and to those who have taken their own lives. I doubt anyone who has taken their life has tried "to live six billion ways", therefore does that imply that every single person who commited suicide had no right to, or that they were wrong to do so? If it were suggested to a person in a depressive mental state who was close to the edge to go try live "every single life possible" by a professional, they would be struck off immediately. I know from being a person who has depression that changing your way of living and attitude towards life is a step in the right direction when overcoming the illness, but that alone doesnt do it. If someone is suicidal then professional help is needed, whether it be medication or psychotherapy or both.
    Every person IMO has got a right to take their own lives. Maybe their reasons for doing so may seem illogical to those left behind, however to judge all people who have committed suicide by saying they had no right to because they didnt try out every lifestyle possible is insulting to those who couldnt take life anymore, whose illness took over their lives, to those whose whole world may have collapsed around them...

sorry for the rant btw...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭airetam_storm

Nightwish wrote:
    I have to take issue with that remark. I feel its totally unfair to those who have tried to commit suicide and to those who have taken their own lives. I doubt anyone who has taken their life has tried "to live six billion ways", therefore does that imply that every single person who commited suicide had no right to, or that they were wrong to do so? If it were suggested to a person in a depressive mental state who was close to the edge to go try live "every single life possible" by a professional, they would be struck off immediately. I know from being a person who has depression that changing your way of living and attitude towards life is a step in the right direction when overcoming the illness, but that alone doesnt do it. If someone is suicidal then professional help is needed, whether it be medication or psychotherapy or both.
    Every person IMO has got a right to take their own lives. Maybe their reasons for doing so may seem illogical to those left behind, however to judge all people who have committed suicide by saying they had no right to because they didnt try out every lifestyle possible is insulting to those who couldnt take life anymore, whose illness took over their lives, to those whose whole world may have collapsed around them...

sorry for the rant btw...

Maybe but then what about the people you leave behind? They have to live with the fact that one of their family/friends killed themselves while they could have done something/something better. No matter what reason you have there will always be someone with the same reason. Friends can be a huge help in this especially if theyre the same age because they can relate to it better than anyone else.

Maybe but then what about the people you leave behind? They have to live with the fact that one of their family/friends killed themselves while they could have done something/something better. No matter what reason you have there will always be someone with the same reason. Friends can be a huge help in this especially if theyre the same age because they can relate to it better than anyone else.

i agree that those left behind are left with feelings of guilt and a lot of "what if" questions are asked. I have been there, but what irritated me is the comment that no1 has any right to take their life until they have tried every other type of life there is...its unfair

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dimitri

Though never genuinely suicidal i generally feel most depressed in winter from october to may i hate everyone and everything and find it incredably hard to communicate with people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭arrietty

Worst times for me are the winter. It's the short days I can't handle, the lack of light. I read in a psychology textbook that the worst 24 hours in the year for suicide is New Year's Eve.
    Thing is, suicide isn't logical. I don't want to get into a debate about this here, but... knowing what it will do to their loved ones has stopped people I know from committing suicide. It hasn't stopped others. I do not know what happens in the mind of someone before they commit suicide, as I have never quite been there. But this I know: anyone who commits or attempts or considers suicide needs compassion. Not blame.

And most importantly:
    If you're suicidal (at any time of year), seek help. Talk to someone about it. Then talk to someone else. It gets said a lot. It's true. It saved my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 bagocans

Glipmac wrote:
    Tbh, suiside is the cowards way out,
    You mean the wrong way out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Dr Cox's Ego

Can me crazy but I can see suicide tablets and the like been legal 50 years from now. After a certain amount of therapy if you want to go painlessly your Dr has to suscribe you one kinda thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Can me crazy but I can see suicide tablets and the like been legal 50 years from now. After a certain amount of therapy if you want to go painlessly your Dr has to suscribe you one kinda thing.

Call you crazy? Sure. You madman.

Seriously though, I thinks it's unlikely. I can see euthanasia being legal eventually, but storebought pills? I doubt it. It'd be extreme case terminations peformed by a doctor most likely, and it'd be in terminal illness situation and what not.
    arietty wrote:
    Thing is, suicide isn't logical.

Suicide is a matter of emotion. Would you consider love logical? Or revenge?

Advertisement