Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suicide and the Summer

Options
  • 18-06-2005 10:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

I've read that suicides are more frequent in summer, the rate of which (suicide) rises steadily towards July, where it begins to fall again. I find myself thinking about suicide more often during the summer, especially when it's sunny and hot. Does anyone else find this pattern in their own lives?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I've not noticed a pattern, but I haven't thought much about my suicide recently. I decided a long time ago that suicide lets other people ("the bad people") win and that I lose.

Why are you thinking about suicide?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭CaptainPeacock

I'm not sure why I think about suicide. The idea usually comes to me when I feel that I have nothing left to do; like my life is as good as over.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I'm not sure why I think about suicide. The idea usually comes to me when I feel that I have nothing left to do; like my life is as good as over.

Well in my own opinion, I think if you start to feel like that the best thing to do is go travel and see the world. You can get stuck in a cycle that you think that that is all to life but it ain't. It's a big world out there with plenty of things to do and see and to enrich your life with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭0utshined

Are you in School or College?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Suicidal thinking, particularily persistent thinking of that type is really something to get some professional help with in my opinion.

That said, um personally? The winter is the worst. I have intense bouts of such thinking from about November to March each year (this has gotten a lot better thanks to drugs :)) but my worst periods have always been in March. It's always been a build up.

*shrugs*

The summer is usually good for me. Maybe it's because I'm less stressed then. It's not the sun since I generally feel worse in the heat and such. I like rain!! :)

To the people who seem to think that travelling etc can cure this. Please, stop for a second and take the time to think that these kind of thoughts can be a symptom of a much bigger issue. Running away from these issues only results in a temporary reprieve and can result in a more serious relapse.

Your first reaction should be to encourage these people to talk to a professional. This is not something that we can afford to ignore. It's a very serious problem in this country and there is a shocking level of complacency regarding this.

Telling these people to just travel to "enrich their lives" could only be given by someone who doesn't know what it's like.

I've felt the overwhelming urge to kill myself, the need to end it all, when my life was happy, enriched and going well. It's not as simple as the person having a **** life and needing a change. It really isn't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Glipmac

Tbh, suiside is the cowards way out, if you have a problem talk to some one go out with friends get your mind off the whole problem, what you need is a change of pace get a new job, go bunji jumping, parashute jump somthing that makes you feel good... i am afraid of hights and i went bunji jumping, christ that was scary but it felt good and a fun story to tell as well

Glip

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

nesf wrote:
    Suicidal thinking, particularily persistent thinking of that type is really something to get some professional help with in my opinion.

That said, um personally? The winter is the worst. I have intense bouts of such thinking from about November to March each year (this has gotten a lot better thanks to drugs :)) but my worst periods have always been in March. It's always been a build up.

*shrugs*

The summer is usually good for me. Maybe it's because I'm less stressed then. It's not the sun since I generally feel worse in the heat and such. I like rain!! :)

To the people who seem to think that travelling etc can cure this. Please, stop for a second and take the time to think that these kind of thoughts can be a symptom of a much bigger issue. Running away from these issues only results in a temporary reprieve and can result in a more serious relapse.

Your first reaction should be to encourage these people to talk to a professional. This is not something that we can afford to ignore. It's a very serious problem in this country and there is a shocking level of complacency regarding this.

Telling these people to just travel to "enrich their lives" could only be given by someone who doesn't know what it's like.

I've felt the overwhelming urge to kill myself, the need to end it all, when my life was happy, enriched and going well. It's not as simple as the person having a **** life and needing a change. It really isn't.

Well everyone's different.. I know exactly how it's like to the point of thinking about how little the amount of people would turn up to my funeral if it happened.

I got a new circle of friends, went to college, travelled and realised I am a totally deadly person and when I do get depressed feelings try to take myself away from those feelings and concentrate on the good things that are going on in my life. I didn't and still don't feel,for me, drugs is the answer. But as I said at the start everyone's different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Dreamcatcher

I've read that suicides are more frequent in summer, the rate of which (suicide) rises steadily towards July, where it begins to fall again. I find myself thinking about suicide more often during the summer, especially when it's sunny and hot. Does anyone else find this pattern in their own lives?
    Can you post a link? Are you talking about Ireland/Europe or worldwide . .?
    I would have thought that suicide was more prevalent around Christmas time / New Year (more obvious reasons).

In summer people tend to get out more, there is more daylight(good for people who would suffer SAD in winter for example).

I'll just add that I personally happen to just HATE in summer the really humid, dull days when there is not a breath of wind - it's been a bit like this of late(and it's worse in the city, and it's usually worse in August), but I would not go so far as to say that it depresses me in any way, aside from the fact that I exercise less when it's uncomfortably warm - but that merely just pisses me off a bit! Give me a cool, crisp day in November any day, rather than a humid, heavy, dull, insect-infested type of summer day!
    So what is it about summer, Captain? You need to analyse this more...
    Is it the weather, or is it that it reminds you of unhappy memories, is it your birthday in the summer etc.... what is it about summer?
    And how is your life better in Autumn/Winter/Spring?

How old are you (if you don't mind me asking)?
    You're not sure why you think about suicide? Well, only you can find that answer within yourself - pay more attention to your thought patterns. You may benefit from talking to a councellor/therapist about your life - have you considered this?

Glipmac wrote:
    Tbh, suiside is the cowards way out,

Based on your many years of research I presume?

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

strange that the rate of suicide would be higher in the summer.

wherabouts did you read this?
    which age group is this taking into consideration?
    i guess 15-2x year olds might be more likely to commit suicide due to poor exam results...

but surely winter in this miserable country would be the most popular time :confused:

• Advertisement

0utshined wrote:
    Based on your many years of research I presume?

:rolleyes:

its called a point of view, i was actually talkin about this subjet the other night and a lot of people in the group agreed, but it was not unamous some people dissagreed with that idea.

but at the end of the day everyone is entitled to their own P.O.V and thats mine...

Well having that as your point of view is something different and you're entitled to hold it.

I disagree with you though and think it's very insensitive. I don't see anything cowardly about it.

The reasearch was Irish I believe, and published in the Irish Times a few months ago, along with a bar chart that showed a clear, linear rise in suicides towards the middle of summer and a symmetric decrease in the months after. I haven't got that particular copy of the paper any more.

There could be any amount of sub-conscious reasons why summer weather has this effect on me, but it's been this way since I was a child and I've never experienced something so unpleasant it would make me hate the Summer. I've had boring Summers and enjoyable Summers. What I can't stand is "good" Summer weather: The heat and the calm and the oppressive sunshine seem to expose such an emptiness.

I'd rather not bring my age or other personal particulars into it (for now at least), just to say that I think about suicide all the year but moreso in the Summer. The suicidal fixation occurs, it seems to me, as a means of separation from a distasteful and hopeless life. I value and take comfort in my ability to take my life any time I wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

i would have tought (from my *experiance* [see earlier topic]) that christmas would be the time most suicides would happen, as socially everyone is forced into a mould as it is the time for family yaddayaddayadda. And if you either have problems with your family or dont have one, the pain becomes much strongeras everything is geared towards it and you just cant walk away.

i mean in summer there's this possibility of (as said above) to get away and see the world, or even just other areas of ireland. This is'nt as easy at christmas time as the whole social expectant is to go home and be with family.

Glipmac wrote:
    Tbh, suiside is the cowards way out, if you have a problem talk to some one go out with friends get your mind off the whole problem, what you need is a change of pace get a new job, go bunji jumping, parashute jump somthing that makes you feel good... i am afraid of hights and i went bunji jumping, christ that was scary but it felt good and a fun story to tell as well

Glip

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm like so ****ing impressed!!!!!!

You bungi jumped and you were afraid of heights!!!

Oh and trying to turn a thread on suicide into some little self praise session is such a good and clear example of the reasons why this country has such a problem with suicide.

Oh and coward's way out? Seriously. Take your POV back into the dark ages with the rest of the muppets in this country. You have no idea of what you are talking about.

I'm an open minded and tolerant individual, so I can appreciate your POV. It doesn't change the fact that it's wrong and that I'm suprised that you have the necessary 2 brains cells to rub together in order to string enough of those big and difficult words into the same sentence so that you can express it.

Like I said, tolerant. Go troll elsewhere.

No offense like :)

Glipmac's wording is wrong and very inconsiderate but his advice is pretty good, if you feel life has nothing left for you. Give something to life.

I mean i know you dont want to talk about your personal life, but if you want to talk about your interests and hobbies maybe one of us might know something for you to try your hand at.

I admit i get thoughts of suicide but i dont solve it by going out drinking or running off in desperate search of meaning, i take what i am interested in (films, politics,history) and i start something with it, that could lead me of to new places or i could still be at home but it gets the zest going.

offtopic:

Nesf i find this:
    I'm an open minded and tolerant individual, so I can appreciate your POV. It doesn't change the fact that it's wrong and that I'm suprised that you have the necessary 2 brains cells to rub together in order to string enough of those big and difficult words into the same sentence so that you can express it.

doesnt fit with your sig:
    The problem is not that I have issues or that something is wrong.
    The problem is that people expect me to be like them.

Why would I want that?

even if you cover it up with nicety's like 'no offence' or 'tolerant'

no offence :D

Off topic:
    BlitzKrieg wrote:
    offtopic:

Nesf i find this:

doesnt fit with your sig:

even if you cover it up with nicety's like 'no offence' or 'tolerant'

no offence :D

None taken.

When you can figure out what my sig means and represents then come talk to me. Preferably in PM because then you won't look bad for failing to score points :)

Oh and it wasn't a cover up, it was sarcasm.

Why is it when people don't understand something that they assume they know what it means?

Oh and as an education for you, an open mind does not mean one wants to conform. Or am I going too fast for you here?

On Topic:

Maybe I'm way out of line here, but as far as I'm concerned posting in a thread on suicide about how suicide is a coward's way out can only have negative consequences.

Ignoring the problem and branding these people cowards is so narrow minded and idiotic that it really shocks me that people continue to think like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

This thread is not about the discussion of whether or not suicide is the cowards way out. That kind of thread goes in humanities. nesf I know this topic is close to your heart but please at least appreciate that other people have differing opinions and don't slate them for it.

On topic: the only times I ever thought of suicide was when it was winter with drab rain and cold chills, never in the beautiful sunny warm summer. And also when I was watching Eastenders of course.

I would just like to apologise if i have offended anyone in what i have said but thats just how i feel i probably could have worded it better but after 12 hours of work and 3 hours of sleep i just wrote it and went with what i wrote.

Again i apologise for my statement, thank you for taking time to read this.

Glip

also in reply to nesf, i was NOT looking for prise or anything of the sort it was an example if you wish to read in to it completely wrong then go a head but if you even bother to read this i would be surprised because it sounds to me like your lookin at the negative side of things too much. i was not intending to "troll" as you eloquently (big word here i will help you it means NICELY) put it and i know that my thoughts may be in the dark ages but thats just how i am... and i am not gonna change over night!

well then to get things back on topic:

i googled quickly and found this:

http://www.mailonsunday.co.uk/pages/live/articles/health/healthmain.html?in_article_id=347964&in_page_id=1774

i know its the mail...but could add more wieght to the original topic. It seems neither of us were right...its Spring...Odd.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭*Page*

bi-Pollar suffer from this. Sepyember seems to be the highest death rate month due to suicide...

Eh, sorry for ranting last night. It's just this is one of those topics that gets me irrational.

*hugs everybody*

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Glipmac, your comments (in posts 7 & 20) were unkind. Many people who commit suicide have had traumatic experiences, whether obvious or not.

nesf your reaction while understandable, was not acceptable.

If **you** are feeling really bad, then please talk to someone. If this problem persists, talk to your GP or other professional.

i have apologised what more can i do? lets drop this whole thing about me and continue with the orignal post i shall on longer be posting in this room as i am obviously no longer wanted in here

Glip

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭acri

I used to. Especially last summer. Well, the beginning of it. It was a time when I get morbidly depressed. That and Christmas. But anyway, first you've to let us know why you think about suicide. For me, it was because I saw the rest of the world "livin' it up". Y'know, making the most of their youth. I couldn't do that. But I realised that i had to make things happen for myself, just think more upbeat. Hell, even speaking louder helps. Try your best to keep yourself busy. This summer I plan to buy a massive canvas and paint something amazing. No idea what yet, but it'll keep me busy. Mabye it's the same for you.

Glipmac wrote:
    i have apologised what more can i do? lets drop this whole thing about me and continue with the orignal post i shall on longer be posting in this room as i am obviously no longer wanted in here

Glip

Eh. I wouldn't go that far. One thread is not enough of a reason to leave a forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

Strange you should post this right now...

Today I got the news that one of my nephews good friends and very close neighbor commited suicide last night. His Mum found him hanging in the wardrobe :(

16 years old, good footballer (played on Saturday in a pretty big match), gets on well in school and a nice kid too from what I can remember from my nephews birthday parties. Poor nephew is terribly upset upset, as is the entire community... this really is horrible. There is a dark atmosphere in the whole town. There have been quite suicides in this small town over the past few years, and apparently this is a countrywide thing.

When I was that age I had a lot of suicidal thoughts too, and even into later years. Thankfully, I found meditation and it solved my depression issues... but sadly, not many people seem gravitate towards this kind of thing, instead opting for "professional help", which is all too often totally unhelpful, and does not appear to tackle the *root* causes of the problem, which exist deep in the subconscious.

Let's just send out our love and hopes that all depressed young people will find something positive in their lives - whatever it might be, or whatever works for them - to lead them out of the dark spiral into suicide :(

nesf wrote:
    Eh. I wouldn't go that far. One thread is not enough of a reason to leave a forum.

brakeing a slight promis here what i ment was this thread not the whole place but thanks anyway

Glip :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,344 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Personally I often feel a bit depressed in summer once June 21st passes. I have thoughts of "it's all downhill from here" and start dreading the upcoming autumn/winter, short days, dreary weather etc. OTOH I usually perk up a bit after December 21st and start looking forward to the upcoming summer :)

But I'd say there are other reasons which might contribute to depression in summer. Eg:

1) If you're self conscious about your apperance, summer can be a bad time. You see all the hunks/babes are walking around with next to nothing on while you swelter in your coat because you're too self conscious about how you look to take it off. Not only are you roasting, you also feel like an ugly piece of sh*t.

2) If you're lonely and don't have any friends or a bf/gf summer can be bad also. Summer is a time when most "normal" people go on their holidays and generally have fun but you end up sitting at home because you have no-one to do anything with and who the hell wants to go off on holiday all on their own? So you can feel like an unwanted, abnormal freak.

I have experienced both of these in the past but thankfully not so much in recent years.

• Advertisement

BrianD3 wrote:
    Personally I often feel a bit depressed in summer once June 21st passes. I have thoughts of "it's all downhill from here" and start dreading the upcoming autumn/winter, short days, dreary weather etc. OTOH I usually perk up a bit after December 21st and start looking forward to the upcoming summer :)

But I'd say there are other reasons which might contribute to depression in summer. Eg:

1) If you're self conscious about your apperance, summer can be a bad time. You see all the hunks/babes are walking around with next to nothing on while you swelter in your coat because you're too self conscious about how you look to take it off. Not only are you roasting, you also feel like an ugly piece of sh*t.

2) If you're lonely and don't have any friends or a bf/gf summer can be bad also. Summer is a time when most "normal" people go on their holidays and generally have fun but you end up sitting at home because you have no-one to do anything with and who the hell wants to go off on holiday all on their own? So you can feel like an unwanted, abnormal freak.

I have experienced both of these in the past but thankfully not so much in recent years.
    Yes. Summer brings certain expectations. It exposes your wretchedness.

Advertisement