Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Asylum/Oldskool thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭senan s

Does anyone have a tune I think was by Miro. It was called either "Orient Express" or "Metropolis". It was a well known track that used to have the crowd going mad in Sides. It had Sirens in it.

here's the link to the tune http://www.discogs.com/release/211770, absolutely savage

• Registered Users Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭francois

bmooney wrote: »
    i new a gud few of the bouncers in sides and seen them do pills alrite but never gear i remember 1 time off the head and going down stairs 2 the jacks 2 get sum water and seen a bird i worked with banging up man it freaked me out first time i seen it in sides heard sum ****ed up stories from the asylum my uncle was a bouncer in there anyways no 1 puts the needle in your arm the first time u can all always say no any 1 remember when the bloke died out side sides and his family out side cant remember if it was the next nite or next week

All the bouncers in all the clubs were involved to some extent, came with the territory, of course they were gonna turn a blind eye or deal for the gangs (mostly they had no choice) the profits were mad for pills.
    Yea there was a few peple who succumbed to smack, it happened everywhere, just because a few smoked or banged in the asylum doesnt mean the club was responsible for it-it was always there, the 80's in dublin was swimming in the stuff. Blame the dealers selling party packs and also balme those who took it, EVERYONE knows what gear does to you.
    What killed the rave scene was the greed of the drug gangs, selling ****e pills and then everyone doing charlie.
    Coke will never give you the same buzz as good MDMA, the way the music works (repetitive beats and bass) is tailor made for yolks.
    I know a few casualties myself, mainly those who suffered mental problems from doing too much smoke, E and gear, but however unfortunate that their situation is, you cannot blame either the music or clubs for it, it would have happened anyway. I have taken my fair share of drugs, but like most people I am happy, in fact the experience has enriched my life, it has made me a more tolerant, open person-and thats what rave gave to me, and i will never regret that.
    Loads of people have tried to start petitions, talking to politicians etc to change the STUPID ARCHAIC nightclub laws in this country, but no-one ever tried to help. Why don't we have Homelands or Creamfields, or an Irish I love Techno? Why are we ****ed out at 3 AM and stand for it? It's our ****ing culture.
    Maybe i was too idealistic or even naive, but what killed the danced culture here was coke, drug gang aggro, a load of politicians egged on by the police to stop rave, and worse of all, our ****ing apathy
    I'll get me pink fila hoodie on the way out

• Registered Users Posts: 68,264 ✭✭✭✭L1011

We had Homelands
    We had Creamfields

Unfortunately we have knackbags who can't handle their drink / drugs / themselves and meant these were relatively unpleasant experiences... and then the audience moved to listening to different kinds of music.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭francois

MYOB wrote: »
    We had Homelands
    We had Creamfields

Unfortunately we have knackbags who can't handle their drink / drugs / themselves and meant these were relatively unpleasant experiences... and then the audience moved to listening to different kinds of music.

I know we had homelands and creamfields, i played at them, but what do you mean by knackbags? Are you saying a certain "type" went to places like the asylum? Rave music was not the preserve of a few it belonged to everyone, that was the beauty of it-just because a certain minority decided to use it to make money (same **** happens in all forms of sub-culture) doesnt mean it was bad-amd besides most poeple still listen to different types of music anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

francois wrote: »
    I know we had homelands and creamfields, i played at them, but what do you mean by knackbags? Are you saying a certain "type" went to places like the asylum? Rave music was not the preserve of a few it belonged to everyone, that was the beauty of it-just because a certain minority decided to use it to make money (same **** happens in all forms of sub-culture) doesnt mean it was bad-amd besides most poeple still listen to different types of music anyway.

well said.

• Advertisement

MYOB wrote: »
    We had Homelands
    We had Creamfields

i think Francois was trying to say why don't we have allnighters/weekenders, like in every other country in the world...

its a load of bollix, i remember heading to london a good few years ago, headed to the club at 23:00, the placed closed at 7:30, another club, opened @ 08:00, closed @ 12:00, another club opened @12:30 till 16:00, which continued on, as one club closed another one opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭SEANYBOY1

Fair play to you THEASYLUMKEY for Pressure 2, means a lot mate.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

SEANYBOY1 wrote: »
    Fair play to you THEASYLUMKEY for Pressure 2, means a lot mate.:)

No probs man......thanks to DERRA for the upload:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭aceberg

Is it not the same Yum Yum ? I just presumed it was cause it's a peculiar name. Yeah I'd appreciate it if you'd upload it. I have the Warren K tape but don't have the tune on mp3

http://www.mediafire.com/?nz7mhy1tmsz

there ya go m8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭aidan kelly

I think it's fair to say that the majority of people who post on this thread remember the Dublin electronic music scene in the early to mid 1990's, and they were most definitely very different times. I think the scene was pretty new, and it was an exciting global subculture. But as Francois pointed out, like a lot of subcultures, it became commodified through greed and over-exposure, and eventually lost a lot of meaning, particularly to the original people who were members of it. I do think the 1990's were hedonistic, mad times, and the highly charged atmosphere of clubs like Olympic, Sides and The Asylum is extremely rare to find in any contemporary club, in fact the only club in Ireland that ever had that level of energy was Sir Henries in Cork. I wouldn't agree that the electronic music scene is finished though, I think it has matured to a certain extent, I mean if you look at what some Irish electronic artists have achieved recently (people like Chymera, Stee Downes, Corrugated Tunnel, Donnacha Costello, John Daly, Gavin Boyce, and the like), it has possibly never been a more vibrant scene than it is today. I do agree that the licensing laws as they currently stand, and the rip-off culture of certain promoters has left a sour taste in most people's mouths, but for those of us who love the music and the scene it will always be something we share a passion for. I also think there is a level of thuggery in some clubs, and cocaine has certainly been a factor in creating more aggressive punters, but I've been to gigs in the past couple of years which were the best I'd ever been to, so I do think there is cause for optimism. I do look back on the days in the early 1990's with a certain amount of fondness, but the scene was really underground back then, and I don't think you will ever get that back. Youth musical movements move on so fast, the scene was bound to mature and change, it couldn't stay the same forever. To quote WB Yeats, "all changed, changed utterly, a terribly beauty is born".

• Advertisement

JDxtra wrote: »
    I've got .mp3 copies of most of the old Asylum / DJ Pressure tapes (thanks Anto!). Listening back on them now the mixing and track selection doesn't seem that good on some of them.

Nethertheless, most of the tunes are still classics... :)

and where did anto get them....

• Registered Users Posts: 68,264 ✭✭✭✭L1011

francois wrote: »
    I know we had homelands and creamfields, i played at them, but what do you mean by knackbags? Are you saying a certain "type" went to places like the asylum?

No, I'm saying a certain type went to events like Homelands, Creamfields and will be going to PLSS; turning them in to utterly unpleasant events to be at for many people. Theres a reason I and many others do most of our clubbing well away from Dublin...

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭daragh_k

Massive thanks again to all the board members who have supposrted us on another savage Rejuvenation night.. The May 30th gig was exactly a year to the day of our first gig back in the legal eagle!!! These nights wouldnt happen without your support.. Keep an eye out for our new club night Envy a night dedicated to new music coming your way very soon...Here are the sets.........

Mark Kavanagh - Hidden Part : http://www.mediafire.com/?oxkzy3zunij

Ken Gardiner Hidden Part : http://www.mediafire.com/?cmtfxfyyjdo

Daragh Kelly-Hidden Part : http://www.mediafire.com/?zvmtmxnjzca
    Area 51 – let it move you
    Tocayo - Shake your body
    Motiv8 – Rockin for myself
    Afrika Bambaataa - Feeling Irie
    Sil – blue oyster
    Soundcrowd – 6th season
    Dj Spy – into your heart
    Global – a better love
    Soundcrowd – ringsend
    Latour – Blue
    Bline – Herbal hand
    Biazarre Inc – Playing with knives

DJ Tango Hidden Part : http://www.mediafire.com/?dbtimmmhown

Claire Browne - Hidden Part : http://www.mediafire.com/?gcjitrhjydw

DJ Illusion - Hidden Part : http://www.mediafire.com/?x99d3g1eg7y

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭bmooney

nice 1 dar class nite iou a few drinks m/8

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Many things destroyed the scene Drugs and the gangs selling them being the biggest downfall for the asylum and later the system definitely but not really the whole scene. Sides and the Ormonde made way to development. Clubs rise and fall as they did in england aswell. Francois was right though as dance music became more commercial and the scene began to change it lost it's true nature. It doesn't matter what clubs spring up Tripod (redbox) and Acadamey (spirit) it will never be the same as it was when it was underground. But that is the way of things I am glad to have been part of it even though the drugs that came with it have cost me alot in personal terms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭manufan

Yeah, the scene we had back in the early to mid 90's and maybe up to 97/98 can never be recaptured. The reason being that the scene was fresh and new and ever evolving over 8 or 9 years and it brought people from all backgrounds together all enjoying a similiar experience. I would say that the last really great night i had was in the Temple Theatre in the late 90's and it was becoming obvious around then that times were changing and the dance scene had ran its course.

Its hard to explain to young people why the Dance scene was something special compared to other music cultures. Unless you experienced it first hand and were really into the music you can never really understand why so many people still talk about the legendary clubs from the 90's.

Unfortunately, i took took way too much Ecstacy and Speed and although i enjoyed it at the time it did have a bad effect on my mental state for a period. But Dance music and drugs go together like Tea and Biscuits and many of us overindulged on the Biscuits.

Still, i always keep an ear out for any decent oldskool nights that are happening and head along when i can and enjoy the music now without being out of my box. A couple of Vodkas and Red bull instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Dacoop

I think it's fair to say that the majority of people who post on this thread remember the Dublin electronic music scene in the early to mid 1990's, and they were most definitely very different times. I think the scene was pretty new, and it was an exciting global subculture. But as Francois pointed out, like a lot of subcultures, it became commodified through greed and over-exposure, and eventually lost a lot of meaning, particularly to the original people who were members of it. I do think the 1990's were hedonistic, mad times, and the highly charged atmosphere of clubs like Olympic, Sides and The Asylum is extremely rare to find in any contemporary club, in fact the only club in Ireland that ever had that level of energy was Sir Henries in Cork. I wouldn't agree that the electronic music scene is finished though, I think it has matured to a certain extent, I mean if you look at what some Irish electronic artists have achieved recently (people like Chymera, Stee Downes, Corrugated Tunnel, Donnacha Costello, John Daly, Gavin Boyce, and the like), it has possibly never been a more vibrant scene than it is today. I do agree that the licensing laws as they currently stand, and the rip-off culture of certain promoters has left a sour taste in most people's mouths, but for those of us who love the music and the scene it will always be something we share a passion for. I also think there is a level of thuggery in some clubs, and cocaine has certainly been a factor in creating more aggressive punters, but I've been to gigs in the past couple of years which were the best I'd ever been to, so I do think there is cause for optimism. I do look back on the days in the early 1990's with a certain amount of fondness, but the scene was really underground back then, and I don't think you will ever get that back. Youth musical movements move on so fast, the scene was bound to mature and change, it couldn't stay the same forever. To quote WB Yeats, "all changed, changed utterly, a terribly beauty is born".

Nice post Aidan and very well put. I happen to agree with everything you say

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

manufan wrote: »
    Dance music and drugs go together like Tea and Biscuits and many of us overindulged on the Biscuits.

Dance music certainly is only what it is as a result of the biscuits but i still enjoy a cup of tea without biscuits;)
    I agree that it will never be what it once was but when like minded people all come together & share in somthing that they all feel means somthing to them deeply and it all comes together right it really fires somthing up inside you.......even reading some experiences that people have had on this site & putting in my own gives me buzz when i remember the feeling accompanied with the memory of walking across O'Connell bridge at midnight after catching the last bus into town coming up on a dove with more in the phóca with some dots & anticipating reaching the corner of sackville place to see if there was many people outside, if it was going to take long to get in & then hearing the tunes playing while the dove is getting stronger because i chewed it to come up faster & actually enjoyed the bitter taste as it meant it was good:D striking a deal with a bouncer to let a few of us in cheaper than the £7 they were asking, then going down the stairs & walking through the dance floor to get to the cloakroom at the far end of the hall behind the DJ box pissed off having to put your jacket in all the while being offered everything, ACID, E, SPEED, COKE, HASH, GEAR.......it might not be what it was ever again but it will always be there & ya cant change the feeling the memory gives ya:D
    Respect due to all the lads & ladies in REJUVENATION, REACTIVATE who have been bringing it as close as you can get to what it was & NR:GEX who have been putting on gigs from the start of the 90's & to all who put two fingers up to those who have been Continuously saying for the last 10 years RAVE music has had its day......woodstock is regarded as a part of history & still strikes a chord inside people today, even those werent there! For the same reason RAVE music & the RAVES they were held in will be remembered by those who experienced it as the part of history that shaped a generations way of thinking & perceptions of the world & its people for the better & will always be a part of their lives......
    THE RAVE WILL GO ON & ON............Heres one for ya,
    I remember standing on top of the big speakers in the olympic & giving it loads to this tune on a RHUBARB & CUSTARD....RAVE TO THE GRAVE....
    RAVE GENERATOR:
    http://www.4shared.com/get/45955568/1f360fd/Toxic_two-Rave_generator.html

aceberg wrote: »
    That's the one ....fair play to ya aceberg...great tune !! I'd imagine not many people have that on record

senan s wrote: »
    here's the link to the tune http://www.discogs.com/release/211770, absolutely savage
    Does anybody have this whopper of a tune on mp3 ???

• Advertisement

That's the one ....fair play to ya aceberg...great tune !! I'd imagine not many people have that on record

few for sale on discogs.not too expensive.might make a purchase meself soon.credit card maxed at the mo so will have to wait.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Luke G

few for sale on discogs.not too expensive.might make a purchase meself soon.credit card maxed at the mo so will have to wait.:D

That's me every fortnight ace....... cleared - maxed again, cleared again, maxed again....... all on tunes.............:cool:

Luke G wrote: »
    That's me every fortnight ace....... cleared - maxed again, cleared again, maxed again....... all on tunes.............:cool:

very addictive indeed luke.once ya buy 1 ya usually buy 4/5 of the same person.the postage is reduced when ya buy more than one so once ya browse ya end up finding more tracks that ya just can't resist.bloody discogs eh.:pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 dinny boy

here lads

Check out Reactive This Saturday 14th of June @ Radio City, Isaac Butts, Store St, Dublin 1(opp Busarus)

Reactive

Presents SIDES Legends

for this rare Back 2 Back set, which hasn't been seen or heard since Sides.

DJ THYME b2b MICK WALSH
    (Asylum, Sides, PA's, Ormond)

also special guest Asylum & Sides MC, Smiley

Support on the night from Reactives finest

Senan Shortt & Denis Horgan

Doors open @ 10:30
    (arrive early to avoid disappointment)

Admission 15 euro

check out this old mix

Mick Walsh B2B with DJ Thyme live @ Sides, part 1
    www.mediafire.com%2F%3Fmjtixm21lgu

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭mcmc

Bad link there mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 dinny boy

very addictive indeed luke.once ya buy 1 ya usually buy 4/5 of the same person.the postage is reduced when ya buy more than one so once ya browse ya end up finding more tracks that ya just can't resist.bloody discogs eh.:pac::pac::pac:

my card max'd up too,

germany seems to have the best price for P&P(well maybe there honest)

9 records = 9 euro for P&P

derra wrote: »
    marty sheridan was the resident spinning the discs in o'sheas every week ,
    remember he had mick walsh out once and maybe more amongst others that played in the bray head including pressure etc . Good Times :D

yeah, johnny action man, had pressure, liam dollard, kavanagh & i think warren k playing too in the bray head, must dig old flyers and up them.

and Marty Sheridan has come out of the woodwork, after many years laying dorment, the WD40 has been out and his elbows have got a good greasing :D

senan s wrote: »
    my card max'd up too,

germany seems to have the best price for P&P(well maybe there honest)

9 records = 9 euro for P&P

9 records = 9 euro for p&p.jasus ya did do well there senan.never got them that cheap.who the seller.would'nt mind a browse there.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Luke G

Ive just watched the full 40 min olympic dvd the other day, and there's a tune at the end of it, only a few seconds of the tune,

but it was a real happy bouncy tune, with cut up vocals in it, sounded like the bleedin smurfs or the sample from technohead i wanna be a hippy(couldnt have been that as it was a tune from 1992) it says something DIRTY in it but we wont go there ha:cool::cool:, i had the tune on a tape about 10 year ago and had not heard it since, its one of the last tunes on the full download ( not the google one) anyone have half a clue?????? i know im pissin in the wind big time but will get a sample up soon....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement