Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Provisional Amnesty?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

And your insurance does go up if you are in a collision regardless of whose fault it is.

I'm not so sure about this Capt'n Midnight.
    Myself, and my wife were in two accidents in recent years. Each one was the fault of a third party. And it didn't affect our NCBs or premiums. Infact, our premiums have dropped dramatically over the last two years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Macy

Nuttzz wrote:
    i agree, i suppose if i suggested that because i got my licence in the uk i should get a greater reduction for doing a more difficult test than anyone who sat the test here, wouldnt be popular either :p
    You already do with some companies, especially if a named driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭kermit_ie

Point is I know someone with 30 years insurance history with no claims who doesn't drive. On that basis there is no way I can agree to anyone getting a license based on having an NCB.

Has this alleged person been insured for this period? If so, then that's a terrible waste of money, if not, then it's not a NCB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭halkar

kermit_ie wrote:
    Has this alleged person been insured for this period? If so, then that's a terrible waste of money, if not, then it's not a NCB.
    I was thinking the same, why would anyone pay 30 years insurance for no reason. By the way was there insurance in Ireland 30 years ago? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Do we really need another provisional thread?
    There have been two others in the last 3 weeks.

Bottom line - get your license like the rest of us and stop moaning. If you're been driving 5 years, you should have failed your test at least twice thus not safe to drive on our roads solo.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

kermit_ie wrote:
    Yes, the person who drives the car is a named driver and at this stage it would cost far more to swap them.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭dochasach

Silvera wrote:
    NO WAY!

I'd say a good proportion of the stupid drivers on our roads are those who got their full licences under previous amnesties!

Not that the driving test is a great way of improving drivers - but it's better than nothing.

Lack of 'Hazard Perception' is the biggest problem on our roads.

No, the biggest problem is driving agressively and too fast for conditions. This deadly behaviour is _encouraged_ by current testing system and many driving instructors. We need an independent study of the crash rate of those who failed compared to the crash rate for those who passed, and we need to revamp the whole system. One of the few people I know who passed his test on the first go did it by ignoring his driving instructor. I wish I'd ignored mine. After 20 years and a couple hundred thousand miles of crash free driving in a place with 1/2 Ireland's per mile road fatality rate, I should know to ignore both the "crawl and signal for straight on mini-roundabout" nonsense from my first instructor and the "failure to progress" obsession of the testers if you're not up to 50kph between each obstruction or ramp. We will never have safe drivers, cyclists or pedestrians as long as we are encouraging these agressive driving patterns inherited from a cartel of so-called "driving experts." This kind of driving may be fit for a race course, but it is not fit for the streets of our cities and villages. The system is unlikely to change without significant public pressure to end this carnage. Unfortunately, the driving instruction industry thrives on the status quo.

Advertisement