Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hang-over cures

Options
  • 08-06-2005 7:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭

Just thought I might start a conversation about hang-over cures as I'm not sure what to buy before heading off to the Download festival tomorrow. There's nothing worse than getting completely rat-arsed the first night and suffering the next at a festival.

The only one I've tried before is Alka Seltza, which seemed to work really well for me.

But does anyone know of any others, and are they any good?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Oeneus wrote:
    Just thought I might start a conversation about hang-over cures as I'm not sure what to buy before heading off to the Download festival tomorrow. There's nothing worse than getting completely rat-arsed the first night and suffering the next at a festival.

The only one I've tried before is Alka Seltza, which seemed to work really well for me.

But does anyone know of any others, and are they any good?
    Lots of water and Ice cream. :)

Either that or just keep drinking for the whole festival.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Its lame, but someone has to say it.

Don't drink!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

You now those effervescant Vit C tablets that come in the long tubes, they are brilliant. There is one called Zing that I swear by. You just dissolve one in a glass of water, drink, and it is great.

Either that or a big Double Whopper Meal, with Cheese. Coke as the drink. Lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

My two tried and trusted hangover cures are:
    1 bacon and orange juice
    2 hair of the dog

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Take two paracetamol before you try and go to sleep. Then take two when you wake up (provided four hours have lapsed).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

A breakfast roll with blue cheese and lots of water.

As someone said earlier the dissolvable vitamin c tabs (same as 20 oranges) with water and some paracetemol.

Follow this up with trying to convince yourself you had an early night the night previous. ("I wasnt on the piss last night I was well behaved")

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

Loads of water before you go to sleep.

Best Method i've ever tried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

Ishmael wrote:
    Loads of water before you go to sleep.

Best Method i've ever tried.

Prevention rather than the cure.........................although like the saying goes "Prevention is better than the cure"

What about the times when you wake up still drunk, there is no stopping that hangover, its like a pain train waiting to steam through. ala Terry Tate - Office linebacker

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Drink water before you go to sleep and first thing in the morning have a big glass of 7up with a cigarette. That usually helps me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Bottle of lucozade sport/powerade before bed with 2 neurofen or tylenol...Either that or :
    A) Don't Drink
    B) Don't Stop Drinking :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,451 ✭✭✭Blisterman

RU 21. The Russian Hangover Pill. Works for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭*Page*

i found a good one there the other week.. its a drink call "VIT HIT" its great you can get all different types but i got the boost one and it cleared up the hang over in about 10-15 mins..

its got, vits, C,E,B1,B2,B3,B5,B6 and B12 its low calorie ands its low in sugar, no fat. no artificial colours , and no caffeine! its also got some GINSENG in it to!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Where did you get this magical potion?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Hangover Pain = Lack of water and salt in your system. This is because, basically, you have pissed them outta your system.

So a good fry with pleny of rashers, and loads a water should sort you out.

And as said by someone else, at least two pints of watrer before you go to sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

I beat my hangover today by waking up at 5:30 swallowing a disprin and loads of water.
    went back to sleep - was grand by 8:30 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

one egg, 1/4 cup 7up, 1/2 cup orange juice, 2tbl spoon of sugar, 2 lemon's juiced, a bannana, 1 tea spoon tabsco sauce.

blend the lot and neck it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭*Page*

you can buy it in most shops for €1.99

it comes in all different flavors it is yummy!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭juno75

Its very bad to pop pills on top of drink before you crash , put a lot of strain on the kidneys I heard.

Each pint of water you drink before you sleep is worth two in teh morning, even though its bloody horrible to neck 3/4 pints of tepid tap water befor you mong.
    Seeing as a hangover is dehydration of the brain the water is the best way.

Lots of fried piggie in morning and juce and THEN pills are cool, plus even more water.

I was keeling over with a hangover last saturday in the English Market, walked straight into the fish section and the world started to spin. started to gag a bit and went to chemist and thay gave me motilium and by jove I was feeling pretty good and hour later and well away from them fishy things.
    Deffo recommended.

Black Coffie is also essential

Or
    Like said, dont stop....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,893 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

1) Call in sick
    2) Stay in bed

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

1) Before you sleep (or when you fele you've had enough and want to sober up again) eat bread, it'll soak up the alcohol in your stomach and will prevent you having a horrible hangover the next morning.

2)If you do have a hangover and can't stop vomiting, take gaviscon (the chewable tablet) tastes horrible but works a treat and settles your stomach.

3)To get some vitamins into you, a good, thick smoothie can work wonders. Orange and Mango is good.

4)Finally, water, and lots of it, it'll flush out anything nasty left in your body.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭sleepwalker

mcdonalds milkshakes work a treat

other than that

plenty of water and tablets and food should cure ye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭memphis

Redbull always does it for me.

Also, drink water before going to bed with 2 headache tablets and you should be sorted.

Lots of water also next day!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

The glass of water before you go to bed of course (but thats just a prevention - as already stated anyway). So I tend to go for a large cuppa tea, have a really large mug I drink out of, with a rasher pannini cooked on a George Foreman Grill! 'Tis good, with red sauce too of course! Hangover gone in 45 mins!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭dawballz

The day before the night you go drinking:
    Eat plenty of good food, well, not good food, but just no sweet stuff really like cake and sweets and all the rest. Drink plenty of water that day too. Just before you go out/begin drinking, eat a banana. It will provide soakage for the beer that is to come.

When you come back, have a 2L bottle of water beside the bed and make sure to drink a good bit just before you put your head down.

Whenever I wake up during the night, I always take a drink of water.

In the morning, have a nice big fry, with loads of water.
    7up is good to drink when you're not feeling thirsty, but imo it will make you more thirsty too.
    Give it about an hour after the fry and you're all set up for more drink.

If you are still headachey, take pain killer(s), I've heard alka seltzer are good all right, but usually for me 2 panadol is good enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

The idea with Alka Seltza is you take one before you go to sleep and wake up all happy and ill-free. 'Tis good stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

The water thing is great, but if the damage is done, the only way out is a curer.. more drink. Once you get the first couple down you're laughing again, then have some food. I heard that a Bloody Mary is the best cure for a hangover, but I absolutely hate tomato juice, so I would puke drinking one of those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Saturnine

Glass of Slimfast or Big Mac meal just dont get coke with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭ClareBear

When you're really drunk and can barely crawl in to bed, the thought of drinking 2 pints of water isn't that easy though :(

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I usually mix normal orange juice with red orange juice (sanguinello), add a splash of cranberry juice then add the magic ingredient of a disolvable vit c tablet. Works like a treat!

You can just use Orange juice on it's own though with the vit C tablet, works just as well

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭catspring

if you are nauseous eat a slice of dry bread and drink a can of coca-cola (not pepsi or any other cola drink). my mum taught me that and it works a treat.

Advertisement